When you're not gardening, what's your favorite pastime?

Mount Pocono, PA
There are a total of 475 votes:

Watching TV or movies
(40 votes, 8%)
Red dot

Reading a book or magazine
(135 votes, 28%)
Red dot

Cooking
(32 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Craft or art work
(88 votes, 18%)
Red dot

Building something
(15 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Working on something mechanical (car, appliance, etc.)
(3 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Hiking or other outdoor activity
(31 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Swimming, boating, etc.
(15 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Napping
(14 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Other?
(102 votes, 21%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Other:
Church, DG, Take Pictures, DG, internet, DG, Writing, DG, LOL

Hickory, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi, I chose crafts,because there is so much neat stuff you can make for the garden.
Deb

Anderson, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm usually carting my daughter & her friends around to various 4-H functions, or thinking up something for them to do to keep them out of trouble!

Granite City, IL(Zone 6a)

I like doing several of those choices but also really enjoy working on the PC with my digital software. I make most of my own cards at the PC too, plus of course surfing the net is always fun (how I came across D'sG web site ;o). I love to fish (for bass with my hubby) but haven't at all this year (though HE has many times!). Once the cool weather's gone by it's terribly hot/humid here across from the Mississippi and I don't really enjoy spending the day out on his bass boat. Just adopted a new kitty (Rocky) from Hope Rescue's. I've had him for about 3 1/2 wks and he's the first here since my last one was put down about 14 or so years ago. Our other two were kittens when I got them but Rocky is probably between 8-11mos old already and pretty set in his ways. So he's 'learning the ropes' and we're getting to know each other. Always something going on at church and always PLENTY happening with my kids and THEIR little ones (4 total)! I guess for a Grandma of 60 I have a lot going on. No wonder that I'm usually WORN OUT! LOL

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

I have already replied once, but now that it is 90 degrees, after I water, I have been reading gardening books, magazines and seed and plant catalogs, and dreaming of fall planting, and of course, Dave's Garden. Yes I do other things as well, but that is when I am doing chores inside, and waiting for the laundry to finish is an excellent time to dream about those lovely gardens that are in the magazines, but mine never look so lush an full in our extreme climate. Hot summers and cold winters and poor soil! This year I have planted more and am working on cleaning out the beds, after a long convalescense from 4 surgeries (1 knee, 3 shoulder). So hopefully they will fill out more! We went for a short trip to a nearby lake on the way to Lake Tahoe for a picnic with granddaughter #3, who is almost 21!

Evelyn

Staten Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I love to do crafting or
some type of needlework. I belong to several groups. But then, I may forget about the cooking or taking the dog out! =D
Any stitcher's here from online groups? = )
**Ignorance killed the cat, sir.
Curiosity was framed.
Anyone who considers protocol unimportant~
has never dealt w/a cat!! = D

=^.^=

This message was edited Nov 17, 2008 2:38 PM

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Seeing my adult children and grandchildren #1 on my list. I am building the grandchildren a tree house and hope for it to be ready by Christmas. They are in years the following: 3,5, 7,9 and 12.

Keeping up with college sports.....football, then basketball and baseball. Mainly I like to keep up with the big 12 conference.

This really has to do with plants, but my adult kids love for me to make them baskets for their house filled with plants and find them what they need for their homes. I just got 2 enormous hanging baskets of plain old marble ivy for two armoirs and found 2 fantastic bromeliads to sit on top with the ivy.

Never forget my involvement with the men's prison Kairos's group. I correspond with prisoners and visit them. It is fun to send them books and watch them take off. One who didn't have a GED was honored a year ago for being valedictorian in his class. NOw he is taking bible classes online. Anyway........that is so much fun.

Help feed street people through the Salvation Army once a month. It is a lot of preparation for both food and clothes to ride on the Salvation truck with the side open to hand out whatever they need.........food, clothes or both.

Life is good! No complaints! (well not right this minute)

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

Walking and reading - I do a couple of hours of each every day. Lost 30 lbs. They're both a welcome break from TV.

Steve

Stevensville, MT(Zone 4b)

Recently, I have taken up my pottery again. My pottery wheel has been collecting dust since 1987(date of the last pot I threw) Also starting on a quilt and searching for a class.

Addicted to DG website, have learned sooooo much here.Thanx Dave

Redwood City, CA

Cooking and reading...

Reading about other people's gardens...especially the "Masters"....E.A.Bowles, V. Sackville-West, Gertrude Jeckyll, Christopher Lloyd, Jane Loudon...etc

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Reading is my ultimate pastime. I also really enjoy our home and working with my DH (Robert) to learn woodworking, carpentry, basic plumbing, and basic electrical wiring and repair skills. It's fun for me and something I always wanted to learn!

I love our pets, too ... one Pembroke Welsh Corgi, three cats and two parakeets.

I can't forget to share how much I enjoy cooking, baking (not in the Summer, however) and reading recipes as well as collecting cook books.

Mainly reading, and especially reading about gardens and gardening...not necessarily "how to's" but essays by great garden writers. Also, I must admit, I spend too much time on these forums...LOL!

Oconomowoc, WI(Zone 4b)

Hello All,
I totally missed this one! Of couse, a 1250 sq' garden will do that...June is fever pitch for me here in Wisconsin and I almost have no time for any other activities but eating (husbands get crabby if not fed somewhat regularly), sleeping and planting. What spare moments are available are spent at work (LOL) or riding Tema.
Too funny on the 'pewter' color - I try to keep dust collecting surfaces to a minimum - my house is a jungle in winter as I figure what's covered by a plant can't get dusty, and since we were remodeling over the cold season, it really wasn't worth doing any serious housework until we stopped with the sanding and sawing and painting and...oh darn - is it time to go outside and play in the dirt? he he he....where's my trowel?

New Port Richey, FL

FISHING!!! great for the compost pile. relatives say i'm the only one who ever made fishing feel like work. (they're commercial fisherman.)

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

Checking the computer for gardening things, floweres, seed, etc. Inalso likd to crochet and sew. Don't care much about cooking, Hubby loves to cook.

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

Also houseplants. Now it is almost time to start indoor seeds.

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

music:
http://www.cityband.org/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.