When you're not gardening, what's your favorite pastime?

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)
There are a total of 475 votes:

Watching TV or movies
(40 votes, 8%)
Red dot

Reading a book or magazine
(135 votes, 28%)
Red dot

Cooking
(32 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Craft or art work
(88 votes, 18%)
Red dot

Building something
(15 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Working on something mechanical (car, appliance, etc.)
(3 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Hiking or other outdoor activity
(31 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Swimming, boating, etc.
(15 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Napping
(14 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Other?
(102 votes, 21%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

(AnjL) Fremont, CA(Zone 9b)

If I'm not building, I'm designing something for DH to be building! lolol!

Reynoldsville, PA(Zone 6a)

being a mom to 5 and poultry, i'm a state liceansed poultry tech for the pa dep of ag.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

family, games, sports

Kissimmee, FL(Zone 9b)

somebody say housework - are they nuts!!!!

Farmington, NM

I like to knit and crochet, can do that while I'm watching TV or reading - is that multi-tasking? Guess I got worn out raising 2 acres of vegetables, now we live in town with a small front- and backyard, both xeriscaped, some flower beds and I'm trying to keep my potted plants alive in this heat! And 4 tomato plants (down from 500), and 6 chiles instead of 800! And I spend hours each day on DG, even if I don't have much room to grow all the stuff I'd like.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

WHAT?!?! Is there something to do besides gardening?!?! Who knew?There should have been a voting button for "more gardening" although I do sneak in a nap occasionally ^_^

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

I should have answered "Nap", except it really isn't an activity- so I guess it's my favorite inactivity. My gardening is so out of control that it seriously cuts into my napping time.
Housework? That must be work you do in the house. When it gets too dark, I bring in a bag of potting soil and pot up plants and seeds. If I drop dirt on the floor, it blends in nicely, so I don't worry about it.

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

I cross stitch!

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

I'm with you, Jax! I thought I was the only one who did this!

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

quilting
cooking
taking care of 5 dogs and my husband

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Jax, wanna be my best friend? All my friends are really OCD about totally clean, sanitary, uncluttered houses. They set foot in my house, and the first thing they see is the wall of houseplants, the row of gardening supplies, the flats of seedlings pining to be planted out, and the pile of empty pots. And that's just the porch! LOL
At times we eat in the living room because the kitchen table is too covered with a.) seeds, either in packets or drying on paper plates, b.) half-potted plants, or c.) piles of garden produce, ready to be canned!

Angie

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Angie, I don't believe we are best friends, but twin sisters who were adopted by different families!!!
Friends? Well, mine wrote me off as a plant nut years ago- so did DH. My Mom always says "I don't want to hear anymore about your (insert negative, yet colorful, adjective here) plants!!!"
My deck is an elaborate plant stand. Try to get up my front steps w/o stepping on a coleus- impossible. I NEVER throw anything away that could possibly be used as a plant container... it goes on. Glad to know I'm not alone in the universe!

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

I picked 'other' as I volunteer for several organizations .. BUT .. I am a 'DIGEROTI' (avid computer user) and, of course DG keeps me happy and informed :-)

~Marilynne~

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL, I was thinking "Digeroti" meant one who loves to dig!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I picking hiking, but I do them all (execpt for napping) I don't have time!
Lots of great activities listed.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

and why wasn't "Surfing Daves Garden" an answer!! LOL

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Re: the big thing you live in that some people clean 1) if you spread the dirt around on the floor with your foot it makes a luvly marbly look. 2) Also if you never dust everything just looks a luvly pewter colour (very trendy right now). 3) all flat surfaces in your home were designed for sorting and drying seeds and a little touch of soil here and there creates a natural ambience (much like the flour spreading thing you do when you make bread). Some helpful hints cuz I'm very good at rationalization ^_^

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

^ ^ ^ ^ Ha ha ha!

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

I voted other! I spend time web surfing when nothing else is going on.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

dahilianut I LUV the way you make my home seem very modern now that you put it in that perspective! LOL

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL, I think dahlianut should write an article on that subject!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I luv writing garden humour but I don't know if many would be interested in my "Gardener's Guide to Housekeeping" LOL

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

It would be a very short article ;0)

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

oh I beg to differ...dahlia nut please write about our pristine modern homes! LOL now that you mention it the living room does appear to be aglow with lovely pewter color....

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

Housekeeping....housekeeping.....I knew I'd heard that word somewhere. Glad someone defined it for me!

If I'm not out playing in the dirt, my nose is buried in a book. Either that or buried in a computer screen searching for obscure, ancient movies featuring opera singers or wannabes.

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, I know one thing... if one's nose is buried in dirt, books, TV, computers, etc., it's not looking at the sublime cleanliness of one's home! As I recall, mine is perfectly clean.

Mission BC, Canada(Zone 8b)

It's so hard to pick just one activity as how many people have only one favourite past-time when not gardening? I went with arts & crafts since making jewelry is very relaxing - almost therapeutic - for me. But to say I spend more time at it than other activities wouldn't be true.

I love to read & would feel seriously deprived if I couldn't. A nap in the afternoon, especially during winter, is also wonderful. Building things (not large sized projects though) is something else I enjoy. So is cooking exotic foods or baking, singing, listening to music (while doing nothing else so I can fully enjoy it), visiting friends, walking in out-of-the-way places....

The list could go on & on. And I'm sure most people could list many other things they enjoy doing too. It would be better if we could choose more than one activity!

Kissimmee, FL(Zone 9b)

If I lived in BC, I would not nap in winter I would hibernate!

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I picked 'other' because I like to do all of the above, in this order:

1. Napping trumps all
2. entertainment: internet and movies
3. cooking, gotta eat, right?
4. art, crafts, like sewing, needlepoint, painting and drawing. Building things is included here, because when I'm building things, it's a creative outlet.
5. recreational: hiking, swimming, bike riding
6. reading comes daily in the bathroom and before bed

the only thing I don't do is tinker with mechanical things.

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

Sudoku - totally addicted.

Barstow, CA(Zone 9a)

I picked Other because photography has been my main avocation for more than 53 years now. Napping of course is absolutely essential at my age :) but it isn't a pastime, only a requisite. Watching the canned propaganda media such as the Vast Wasteland or the Vast Wasteland's "movie" affiliate has been banned from my home for five years now (and should have been banned eons before that). Not even any electricity to the idiot box. Not a kilowatt second. But what helped the idiot box out the door was the computer and Internet which supply better information on demand. Those I use both for work and for pastime. Building things is all for my land and gets classed as "gardening" even if what's being built is a structure to defend from the wind or the wabbits or other hazards to the actual garden. Some puttering with other things such as my zippy little car. But through all of those other activities (except napping), photography is right there with me helping me record and review what's going on.

Coast range of, OR(Zone 8b)

Skaz421 - have you seen the 'horrific' sudoku here?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/article-349054/Our-horrific-Sudoku.html

This message was edited Jul 4, 2008 3:14 PM

I can't play any horrific puzzles - I get a message saying the page is no longer valid.

I belong to an online game website that has Sudoku games consisting of 15 squares, as opposed to the usual 9. In addition to entering numbers 1 to 9, it also has letters A through F. I consider those to be fairly horrific.

Steve

That's what these are but 0-9 and A-F.

Wonder why the link didn't work?

Expired?

It works for me. Weird.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I can do lots of puzzles, but that one drives me mad!
I got a book about a year ago and did a few and looked up and 2 hours had gone by. I was shocked.
I spent 2 hours of precious life on a puzzle I wasn't even having fun doing. LOL.
I put it down and went outside in the 10 below and went for a walk.

My hats off to anyone that can do those things, but myself, I'd rather be doing ANYTHING else. ^_^

It takes practice - the more you do, the better you get at it.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

We like to ride our motorcycle(s), when mine is running. We love to cruise and go to places where other bikers hang. Too hot lately though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.