When you're not gardening, what's your favorite pastime?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)
There are a total of 475 votes:

Watching TV or movies
(40 votes, 8%)
Red dot

Reading a book or magazine
(135 votes, 28%)
Red dot

Cooking
(32 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Craft or art work
(88 votes, 18%)
Red dot

Building something
(15 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Working on something mechanical (car, appliance, etc.)
(3 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Hiking or other outdoor activity
(31 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Swimming, boating, etc.
(15 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Napping
(14 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Other?
(102 votes, 21%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

dog training, horseback riding, running ...

Auburn Hills, MI(Zone 6a)

in the winter I read garden books and magazines..and play viedo game or on the pc, summer on the boat or listening to the birds,, I mean when I am not working,,,

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I read books and magazines, but I also read newspapers on the internet a lot. I especially enjoy the New York Times and the Washington Post. I read books on politics and novels and right now, alas, diet books. I also spend a lot of time talking with my husband. He is a very interesting person to listen to and seems to like to listen to me as well.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Isn't it fun to get the major newspapers on line? I also never miss The Drudge Report online. (all the gossip and truth)

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Watching TV or movies, reading a book or magazine, building something, working on something mechanical (trucks), hiking or other outdoor activity, swimming, horseback riding, DG, surfing the internet.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

swimming!!!

Saint Louis, MO

I handspin and dye my own yarns, sometimes with marigolds dyes from plants that I grow from seeds.
Reading DG's forums is a close second.
Cooking is a third choice.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Hard to remember at this time of year since every non-committed moment is spent gardening or with DG--but it would be reading or my Games puzzle magazine- I about croak if I find myself stuck waiting without one of those to pass the time.

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

I love to do EVERYTHING- but I chose swimming/boating b/c I rarely get to do either. I love skiing, kick boxing, rock hunting, hiking, horseback riding, reading, painting, pottery- oh, and serving my boss, Jax, the smartest, cutest little Ragdoll kitten EVER.

Oops, I forgot- SHOPPING!!! (I will be on the first Olympic Shopping Team, as soon as I get it approved as a sport.)

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Mineral, crystal, & geode collecting.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Love to reading books to knowledges for gardening and do something new ideal from gardening magazines... Also I do read some true story from the books...

Kissimmee, FL(Zone 9b)

I put cooking because I love to shut myself up in the kitchen and make all sorts, trouble is my DH eats it all and gets fatter! but I also love to read,sew, do crafts etc. the going to the gym bit was definately not me-just forms of excercise are strictly just for watching on TV. NOT participation!

(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN(Zone 7a)

Have you seen "Shimmy" on the fit network? It's bellydancing. Looks so easy, wouldn't hurt the old bod! Bet it's fun, too!

Greenville, SC(Zone 8a)

Computer, hands down. Followed by about half the other things on the list! =)

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Before I was a Mom I would have chosen ALL of those things. But now---if there IS time for a pastime other than keeping up with the plants then hands down it's a NAP! There is no time for a TV program around here anymore LOL!

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL Tir_na_Nog, I know what you mean. I don't know how my friends find time to watch TV. They all talk about American Idol and the other shows they watch, and I try to remember how many months (years?) it's been since I actually turned on the TV and chose a show. I occasionally get sucked in to one of DH's shows, if I'm working on the computer in the same room that he's watching, but when he's not here, I never think to turn it on. My kids are a different matter--seems I am ALWAYS saying, "Shut that thing off and GO OUTSIDE!"

That said, there is nothing in the world like curling up for a nap with your kids. They seem to not view it as punishment so much when you curl up with them, read a chapter or two of a book to them, and all fall asleep together! I just have to be sure to set an alarm!

Angie

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Well, the gardening bug has definitely bitten me, and now I've got the "itch". I chose reading, because I do have chronic health issues, and it's usually easy to read a book or magazine, at least until you fall asleep and take a nap. I love good movies on DVD. I'm on the computer a lot and just joined Dave's Garden today. Maybe I will post some questions (since I am a greenhorn) and get my garden plans off to a good start. I am growing some herbs and tomatoes in self watering containers. Now I'm starting to think about a pond that I can manage and get balanced with native plants from the North Central Florida area. Zone 8b.

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Booker, here it's not lack of wanting to zone out on TV but I choose not to watch my programs with young tots around because they don't need to be absorbing all that junk. And so I've not watched a movie in 2 years now and anything longer than a 30 minute program maybe once a week just doesn't happen. I'd rather be with the kids anyhow. :)

Shangshui, Henan, China(Zone 7b)

I am always being hooked by books -- English, classical Chinese and now I am beginning to teach myself Deutsch . Each day I will travel two or more hours between pages.
There is an old Chinese saying which goes like this: 'In books, there is a houseful of gold; in books, there are beauties that are as beautiful as Jade.' ;)
Even Wife says to me 'there is a third between us, books'. Now I have developed a habit of reading a few pages lying on bed before shutting up my two eyes every night.

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

"Now I have developed a habit of reading a few pages lying on bed before shutting up my two eyes every night."

My spouse has the same habit :) I've tried to get them to switch to audible books, but remain unsuccessful.
http://www.audible.com/

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Picked other because so many of the other options are things I love after gardening. Reading, hiking/camping, building things, and cooking is my favorite. No TV for me except maybe a little in the winter. If the sun is out this time of year I am piddling in the yard/garden. I haven't turned the TV on in over two months except early in the morning to catch the news and weather. Oh and DG would be a close tie with the others!

Doug

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have tried twice to listen to books on tape or CD while driving in my car. I don't have the greatest hearing in the world and I wear hearing aids, but even with the hearing aids on, I can't completely decipher what they are saying on the audio tapes. Maybe if I switch to non-fiction, it will be easier to understand, but I have given up on two novels. I will have tor read them, I guess.

Dalzell, SC

I chose other, because after 42 years marriage I have started scrap booking, so I am watching movies and scrap booking at the same time. Thank heavens their are no more kids at home, just grandkids.
ToOldToGarden

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

Too bad we can only select one! I picked reading but also like to do all types of needle work and sewing (although not lately) as well as joining in on DG and other sites.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

I had to pick "other" as well, because checking in to DG is definitely a favorite indoor recreation. (So many friends there.) I'm a reader and cooking is a hobby, but I have to admit that I spend more time surfing through Dave's Garden than I like to admit. TV is probably about last on the list. Housework is down there, too.

What's housework?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Between being on Dave's Garden, and watching gardening shows........ maybe I'm gardening ALL the time LOL

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

After gardening, watering, weeding, if I have any energy left, I like to read about gardening and plant and seed catalogs, then there is Dave's Garden, email, and other facets of the internet. Never bored, most often tired. I hope that I will never be "too old to garden", but it could happen if I live long enough. I hope they have a community garden in the rest home. (Yikes! Did I say that?) I always try to learn more about plants, planting ideas for landscaping, cottage gardening, etc...

Evelyn

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

other was mine, as when I'm not gardening then I'm usually brushing on one of my six collies or on the computer doing some newsletter or other graphic design or on DG where I've become addicted to this place...LOL

Janet

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL, mamasita!

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Arts and Crafts. Of course that includes reading to learn how to do something new; 'cooking' when you have to mix up new developers, paints and stains, putties for the glass work; fertilizers and salad dressings. Crafts also includes altering 'home repair' from the mundane to the artistic and searching the wealth of knowledge and experiences on DG for new ideas to create, and spending time, lots of it, on the computer seeking a new direction to take your art . I guess one might call that "life". Naturally when I am not doing the aforementioned, I am also not watching sports,boating, fishing, shopping the Malls, or plotting to overthrow the local Fireworks stands. Whew, that keeps a body busy.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

I can't believe Dave's Garden wasn't included in the choices. That is my second favorite pastime, hands down.

Houma, LA

I have a 2 year old son that takes the rest of my time. I squeeze in a little time for the hubby.

dorothy

Hey KyWoods, I hope you don't think I'm kidding!

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL, mamasita!
Gail, my ex is Filipino, and is very smart. I was his first date when he was 23, because his parents made him spend all his time studying!

Hilliard, OH(Zone 6b)

wow, its rough in ohio. my other pastime is sailing, and i can only do both between april and october:( other than that, i really do nothing, just a little outdoor photography, weather permiting. even though i hate winter, (mostly because i have SAD, or winter depression) i love the stark beauty of it. its also when i start planning out the next seasons gardens.(but thats been hard because we are moving) other than that, i spend the days in the dirt, which it fine by me:)

Bedford, TX(Zone 8a)

Do I cook because I garden or do I garden because I cook?

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

If I'm not gardening, I'm on Dave's or at a ballgame.

Snohomish, WA

Been to nice out to come inside, but making myself do it more.So I m back on line talking gardening!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.