When you're not gardening, what's your favorite pastime?

There are a total of 475 votes:

Watching TV or movies
(40 votes, 8%)
Red dot

Reading a book or magazine
(135 votes, 28%)
Red dot

Cooking
(32 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Craft or art work
(88 votes, 18%)
Red dot

Building something
(15 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Working on something mechanical (car, appliance, etc.)
(3 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Hiking or other outdoor activity
(31 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Swimming, boating, etc.
(15 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Napping
(14 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Other?
(102 votes, 21%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I am usually tinkering with something. I like to build things so I will put that as my first choice. My second choice would be reading but since I now download my books for free at netlibrary.com, I am able to read(listen) while I garden or anything I choose to do. I am mentioning this because so many people my age have given up reading because of sight problems. Check out your local library and see if they are linked to this nationwide program. You are allowed to check out 10 books at a time for 20 days. Sorry didn't mean to preach but so many people do not know this is available to them.
Cindy

Fountain, FL(Zone 8b)

I picked craft/art because I like to write, paint, quilt, cross stitch and make soap when I'm in the house.

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

I picked other. I would rather be fishing but repairs, building, cooking, I enjoy.
Hmmm maybe it would be easier to say, I don't care that much for reading or TV. But now visiting over the fence at Dave's Garden, that is a good pass time.
Russ

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i picked other, because i didn't know there was any thing else except gardening and DG!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Silly people I pick surfing the internet!!!! Dave's Garden to be exact!!!!

My other past time is traveling which we haven't done much of lately!!!!

Jeri

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

hi jeri, how are you and mary doing

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Reading is my second passion. Seems I have less time for that these days so I treasure it even more than I used to.

Paris, IL(Zone 6a)

Another tough choice. I voted watching TV. Other was a tossup since Dave didn't include computer [net surfing, although I seldom get past DG]. I generally sit at my computer desk [reading DG] and have a TV in the corner. TV won out since I occasionally leave the desk to eat a meal and watch TV while eating. If there's no food on the table and I'm not at the computer Judy knows I'm outside puttering with plants. Sometimes I fool her and go to the bathroom. There's no TV or computer in there so I don't stay long.

Gary

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

Getting too old to do much but visit DG. Have to cook but really used to Love to cook. Old folks like to give advice so I do that, too. Used to love to fish saltwater. All in all, life is pretty darn good as long as I don't have to move too much!-----

Ann

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I picked other...if I'm not at work and not in the garden, I'm usually here! LOL

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Because I am such a lover of propagating plants, I have to make myself try and balance my life a little. When I am not playing with plants, I visit my grandchildren, write letters to prisoners whom I know through my church, love to feed the homeless through the Salvation Army truck with others from my church and collect Tshirts, socks, and hygiene products for them every time I see a bargain somewhere. I could have made that sentence into about 5 sentences.........sorry for my rambling.

I feel so selfish with my time wanting to play with plants all the time so it is an effort to bring some balance to my life time wise.

There are so many ways that are fun to help others and have a blast doing it.
My cousin is having a 60th 300+ persons attending with a big rock known band. The entry to the party is a big box of food for the food pantry in the Gulfton area of Houston. Everyone wins this way.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

How about Daves Garden ? Occupies a lot of my time.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I assumed living on Dave's Garden and playing with plants is one and the same activity (LOL)

(Zone 6a)

I picked Swimming/ Boating. I don't have a pool or a boat, but they are 2 of my favorite things.....

Anderson, SC(Zone 7b)

I work on the internet, plus surfing & playing & researching & reading & DG, so I chose "other". ;)

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Internet!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Other -- half of the above! If I could just read and knit while going down the creek in my canoe...

Definitely "Other", and it's all DG's fault! Third favorite thing after DG (when I'm home) would be reading!

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Love to read - HAVE to read - I kind of go 'nuts' when I have even a little bit of 'down time' and nothing to read.

I feel reading broadens my mind, enriches my vocabulary and teaches me many things!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Nan, you sound like my brother. He is only a year older than I am and he had a book in his hand since he was a small child. Today, he can multi task like no one I have ever seen. He sits at the computer, reads a book and watches television all the time. It drives his wife crazy. He even carries a book in the pickup truck in case he has 5 minutes to spare.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

(Ü) I'm not *that* good, (although I am, indeed a 'multi-tasker'!) but do, indeed, have some sort of book or other with me all the time - if not a book, a word search will do!
I've completed a lot of word search puzzles while 'waiting' for kids!

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

Other -- When I'm not gardening I'm usually thinking about gardening!

Coast range of, OR(Zone 8b)

Quilting - lots and lots of quilting.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

dumpster-diving,junking...finding things to re-purpose,crafting,quilting,working on my new addition and like gessiegail...playing w/ my african violets and other indoor plants.

P

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

If I'm not gardening, I'm reading about gardening here at DG! Or hiking the woods, and then a good book at bedtime.

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

There is something else to do besides DGs or reading Gardening books? Well maybe handcrafts then.

Santa Fe, NM

Hi. I put other because I could have put All. I like lots of things!

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

other- internet!! :D

(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN(Zone 7a)

I'd have to say other, too! I'm on here most of the time! How do I add it to the list?

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Boy, tough choice. I think if internet had been an option, that would have been my choice (I spend a lot of time every day here at DG!) but other than that, hard to choose between reading and cooking. I always am in the midst of at least one book (drives my DH crazy. . .he is a slow reader, and can't understand how I can keep 2-3 books straight at once), and I love to cook and can.

I finally chose cooking, especially this time of year, as I love to see what is ripe and figure out a new recipe to use it in.

PS Housework is on the very absolute bottom of my list. Seems so useless--the kids can mess it up faster than I can clean it, and no one can find anything after I put it away anyway! LOL

This message was edited Jun 30, 2008 12:36 PM

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

HA! You'll notice that housekeeping didn't even make the list of possibilities when I put this poll question together (*grin*)

(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN(Zone 7a)

Smart Terry!!!

Phoenix, AZ

SO MANY BOOKS, SO LITTLE TIME........READ........READ........READ....
I HAVE A BOOK WITH ME AT ALL TIMES........NEVER KNOW WHEN YOU
HAVE TO WAIT A FEW MINUTES.............CERTAINLY WITH A BOOK AT
MY SIDE THE FEW MINUTES ARE NEVER WASTED. DEARLY LOVE TO
COOK AS WELL.
HOWEVER I MOVED FROM NORTHERN INDIANA 2 YRS. AGO TO PHOENIX,
AZ.
I NEVER DREAMED I COULD GROW ANYTHING HERE, SO I DIDN'T TRY.
WELL, THEN I DECIDED TO TRY A FEW POTTED HERBS. VIOLA, THEY
GREW AND I COOK WITH THEM, SO THIS YEAR I TRIED A TOMATO
PLANT AS WELL AND AGAIN SUCCESS.....SO.........JUST THE PAST FEW
MONTH'S I'VE PLANTED LANTANA, BOGENVILLA, ALYSSUM, AND MY
NEIGHBOR WHO IS MOVING OUT OF STATE GAVE ME A MADAGASCAR
PALM 6 FT. TALL WITH 2 BRANCHES, I AM NOW IN LOVE. THAT IS HOW
I FOUND DAVES GARDEN. I WANTED TO RESEARCH HOW TO CARE FOR IT.
IT'S A BEAUTY, 16 YRS. OLD HE STARTED IT FROM SEED. NOW I'M ADDICTED
TO DG, I GOT MY FIRST NEWSLETTER TODAY AND HAVE READ EVERY WORD....
I'M THRILLED TO BE ABOARD AND LOVE READING THE FORUMS ETC. I'M GOING
TO LEARN ALOT HERE. ABOUT DESERT GARDENING, AND PLANTS IN GENERAL THAT I MAY BE ABLE TO GROW HERE.

THANK YOU
DG.

This message was edited Jun 30, 2008 12:48 PM

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

If I'm not gardening, I am at the gym! Besides those two activities, I'm developing a gardening blog. Will send out announcements when I've gone beyond the "Testing! Testing! 1-2-3!" phase.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Photographing....just about anything!!! Course there's always "window shopping" to find more to add to the wish list of fragrant plants!!

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

If I'm not gardening, I'm either at work, surfing DG, looking through gardening books/ magazines or sleeping.

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Reading, reading, reading! I love to read everything from novels to gardening books to magazines to seed catalogs. I probably read at least a couple of hours every day.

If I'm not reading, I'm on the Internet or playing a game for my leisure time. I work for an online network that produces news and articles related to online games (like World of Warcraft, which I bet many have never heard of, but it has over 10 million subscribers worldwide), so playing games is sort of part of my job...but if I didn't also do it for fun, I wouldn't have this job. ;)

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Dancing. What kinds? International folk dance, tango, latin dance, flamenco. It is a little-known fact that in Einstein's energy equation, the M stands for music.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

other-Dave's Garden of course, then reading, then tv

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.