she's about to .....#2

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

oh no Kim, if not mistaken that is a Jap. beetle http://bugguide.net/index.php?q=search&keys=japanese+beetle or cucumber beetle http://bugguide.net/index.php?q=search&keys=cucumber+beetle yes! either one is the worst enemy u can imagine. look for yellow eggs underneath the leaves. personally i cut off leaves, burn them to be sure they are gone. the only way to get rid of them is the use of another plant, 4 o'clock plant http://museum.utep.edu/chih/gardens/plants/GtoM/mirabmul.htm . if u see one of those beetle, there are more, sorry to say that, but it is the truth. Jap. or cucumber beetle can devour 4 o'clock [Mirabilis] plant in hardly no time. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/269462/#post_284184 the Mirabilis plant kills the beetles as they devour the 4'oclock plants. put it this way, better the mirabilis plant than ur brugs or any plant in ur garden, right? organic formula to get rid of beetles http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/435270/ edited to add links

no Peg, i have been busy researching DG brug's forums, searching all day yesterday for this link http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/865090/ check the links i added yesterday, it will be an eye opener for some of u.

Happy Birthday Clemen, hope it wil be a good one for u.

ma vie

This message was edited Jun 21, 2008 4:02 PM

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

Oh, I had a feeling that "I wouln't own the plant but it would own me" I am really excited about starting one and watching it develop. I hope! Been thinking...hummm wonder if it would like to go to Disney so I can keep a close eye on it? Maybe not! Thanks for the welcome.

A very happy birthday Clemen! It's only a number to count time so go for it all!!!!

Everyone stay well, don't over work and I will come in whenever I can find an internet to connect my laptop to on my trip.

M

Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

How did you know it is my birthday Marion???? Thank you! HAppy girl today all day, i already went to the nursery store, spent some $$$$$, but is ok, I am the princess today, yippie!!! Love to all and have a wonderfull day, Clemen

(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN(Zone 7a)

Happy birthday, Clemen! ^_^

Oh I have my ways!!! AM I correct? Just remember it isn't nice to try and hide from Mother Nature!!!! LOL

Enjoy it is indeed your special day!

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Kim I had those beetles on my Iochroma... they didn't bother the brugs much.. but they were making swiss cheese out of my Iochroma. So I used Bayer Tree & Shrub (liquid 12 month stuff) and in about a week they were all gone.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I just gotta jump in here

Who: Lisa
What: Female, 50
Where: Niceville Florida (in the upper part of Florida between Panama City and Pensacola, also known as lower Alabama)
Family: Married (second time), two grown children and two stepchildren. My son is married with a 3 year old daughter and he just became a daddy again last week, a son. My two stepsons are adults but living at home, going to school. My daughter just graduated from college in December with a PHD . She now has a job doing research at the University of Florida in Gainesville. I am hoping that she will get married and have a baby or two. My husband and I have been married for almost 11 years. We have two schnauzers, a saltwater tank full of fish, and a pond full of goldfish.
Work: I am a registered nurse. my husband is an artist
Plants: anything tropical, unusual, different, bizarre. my yard is very full of plants and I am constantly scouting for more.

Hello Rylaff. I guess you aren't really all that far from where I live. I also used to live in Gainesville (35 yr.). This is a fun group and do take newbies under their wings. I know.

Welcome, Rylaff! I know you will enjoy this site and this forum, and this thread, as much as we do! Glad to have you!
Audrey

Welcome Lisa, and thanks to all my sis for the good birthday wishes 45 today!!!! If anyone was guessing and I don't try to hide it hehehe!!

Just got back from boating and then going for dinner, have not had time to catch up with everyone and was just checking in. Love you all , Clem

(Cathy), MO

Hi everyone and happy borthday Clemen. Hope the day is a wonderful one for you!!!

(Becky) Colmesneil, TX(Zone 8b)

CLEMEN..... HB to you... HB to you... HB dear Clemen...the hottiest Clemen........... HB to you!!!!! WHEEEEE!!!! Congrats!! And you don't look a day over 29... no joke!!!I hope you had the BEST B'day ever!!!!!! oooh... spent them bucks at the nursery??? Tell us what you got!!

Rylaff.... sooo good to see you again... I still TY for looking up the geneology stuff for me.... Girls this is one nice lady!! Wecome and I am glad you found us!! WE are a lil nutty... but we have sooo much fun!! Lisa.. do you have a brug??

Marion... bet you never thought 1 lil "stick" would change your life...LOL BUT I see it has already GRABBED you BAD....I love it... another sweet girl soo addicted... just like me!!! You just can't help yourself... I have to bring mine when we go camping..LOL.. yep I have it bad!!

kim and Peg... ya'll are murderers..... hehe.. I would have done the same thing!! Thank goodness we don't have that many jap beetles here, but they eat my crepe myrtles up bad in TN.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Beck, oh yes, I have about 10 brugs. Love em. Gonna have a flush really soon. Had a couple of blooms recently but looking forward to having bunch at the same time. Also have a bud on Double Delight , and I am very excited about that one.

Thumbnail by rylaff

OH MY.. Lisa.. if you have 10 big ones.. then you must know some tricks to get them sooo gorgeous!! I have 6 potted rooted cuttings that I got back in the spring, and they are still babies..lol..I also have some cuttings I am rooting.. but I want to see a bud!! I am tooo anxious!!

Beck

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

It is so exciting when you see those buds and then the wait begins. I am anxiously awaiting the flush.Here is a couple that are about seven feet tall or so.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Mine get a regular dose of epsom salt. They sure love it and the leaves are big and dark green. The one on the right is the one that is getting a flush.

Oooooh!!! I can't stand it... first clem.. and now you!!.. but I am happy for ya'll... just jealous as heck...hehe

Hey funny girls, you are too much, loved the birthday song Beck and welcome to all new hotties! Need to catch up guys, but I'm tired! Had a surprise party at my house, and oh well, now is time to go night night, talk to you all tomorrow, Love ya, Clemen

aw.. you'll have me blushing in a minute..lol YASVVW.. Clem.. wow a surprise B'day party... what a way to end a wonderful day for you!!

I say that's a good idea.. going right behind you Clem...

Night ...Hottie Sis's!!

I have a few rooted cuttings, too. I can't wait for them to grow big! This is addictive. The more I have, the more I want!
Audrey

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

I would like to join also. I have my first brug, just shootingout 3 leaves, and I am so excited for it to bloom. Thanks to JanLynn for my first cutting. She said it was Insignias pink. Anyway, Cmdelg invited me over here, so I will take a few minutes to introduce myself:

Who: Linda Kay
What: Female, Just turned 53 on the 13th.
Where: Del Rio, Texas
Family: Married (3rd. times the charm), Two grown sons, 3 grandchildren. 2 boys, Rory 3, and Nicholas 9, and 1 girl Kailey 10.

Work: Retired seamstress
Plants: Impatiens, Gerbera daisies, 1 brugs Insignias pink, several rose plants,2 peach tropical hibiscus, pink and blue hydrangeas, canna lilies, assorted colors, and 3 different climbing vines for my hummingbirds. My favorite rose is the Chicago peace rose.

I love to sit and watch the hmmingbirds. I now have 12 feeders, and they keep me busy.
I have a siberian husky named Karoosh, and he is about 10. I also have a yellow headed african parot, and Paco is about 22.
Guess that is all I can think of for now. Thanks for letting me visit.
Picture is of my brug, with new leaves.
Linda Kay

Thumbnail by taters55
NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Lisa, Linda Kay! Welcome, Hi Cathy!... Clemen, still happy birthday wishes coming your way, sounds like a marvelous day for a marvelous hottie! Audrey, you can try to have one of every kind, but they just keep breeding more. Your cutting probably is getting some little leaves. You'll know in a day or two, how cute they are. Joyce, a sport, how does that happen? I cut it off the mother plant last spring, it rooted and I kept it barely growing/green in the basement all winter. It's responding well to food and about 3ft tall. It's leaves are dark green and light green variegated. I thought once it was growing on it's own it would revert, but the new growth is the 2 green colors.. very pretty and different looking for a brug. Kinda special in my mix, but they all are. I guess now, I need to take a pic? Finally got the batteries charged (for the camera, lol) THAT's what I need an AuntB-charger! Then I didn't ever get back outside with the camera. It's late, I'm off to bed.. nite nite

We have been one lazy group of hottie's this weekend..lol

Welcome Linda Kay.. and no you can't just visit...you live here now with the rest of us.. We are the "hottie sis's"... even though my real defination of Hottie.. is when I am sweating bullets... I just go along for the fun of it!!

Bonnie... that strange brug sounds exciting.. I was wondering what a "sport " was... I need that AuntB charger too.. cept put Becky in it..

Clem... where are you.. still celebrating??

Audrey.. I am having an addiction problem with all the plants..lol but brugs are one of my newest addictions

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Hello there! Looks like its' the Who's Who of Bruggies Newbies here!
There you are Kim, Marion, Audrey, Cat..and Linda K...been soaking up info? AuntB, Ma Vie and ZZsBabiez are so generous with their experiences.
Mind if I join in? Less than a year into this addiction, and not looking for a cure ^_^
Thank you--you know who you are--for this obsession.
Have dense clay soil, so all brugs are grown above ground in forms. DH is a great enabler.

Edited to add:
Ambition: to fill up the whole acreage with brugs, gingers, lilies, irises, dahlias and vining plants.

This message was edited Jun 23, 2008 3:54 AM

(AnjL) Fremont, CA(Zone 9b)

wow, I think if I had the room (acreage) I would have all iris and brugs! LOL!

Hi All, just checking in :o) I'm on 'vacation' here in Rochester WA...enjoying the cool weather and loving it! lol! But I'm also working my hind end off trying to tear out all moms grass and plant an entire garden for her. I wish brugs would grow easily here for her... but its much too cold and shady in her yard.

When I left fremont it was 105* (Friday) and I think they said it got to 109* (Sat) so I am hoping and praying that my house sitter is watering my brugs while I'm gone.

I've got my sis on another puter beside me and shes trying to navigate DG as well (a good thing... I'm trying to convert her into a gardener ! lol!) so gotta go show her everything DG has to offer :o) tee hee .....
AnjL

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Hi AnjL -- and AnjL's Sis --- welcome to DG!
Be sure to tell her about how gardening is affordable with the co-ops here.

(AnjL) Fremont, CA(Zone 9b)

tee hee: o) I have her looking at the farm life forum :o) and picking out a screen name now! lolol!

Thanks for the warm welcome ladies, I mean Hotties...
I am so looking forward to raising my first brug and getting more. Here in Texas the soil is hard clay, (caliche) so most all my plants are in containers. So I will try moving them inside for the winter and she what happens. I take it they do come back if you do leave them outside?
Sorry for all the questions, and I am sure I will be back for more learning. I would rather ask a lot of questions, than not know and try to learn on my own.
Hotties, have a great day.
Linda Kay

HI Guys, stop complaining about not posting yesterday, yeah I guess too much partying, hehe! And my friend Linda Kay made it, welcome! I bet you already love us and this is the perfect place to ask tons of questions. We have a couple of expert in the field here, you know who you are hotties! HEHE, Anyway, I think in your part of the country brugs might survive in the winter, I think they die to the ground and come back, someone else should answer that question. For me and others in the forum, we must bring them indoors because they do die in the cold. I bring mine in and she juts goes dormant, I keep her cool, little water and when Spring starts, she wakes up without anyone telling her anything., They just know when to start producing leaves, part of nature I guess! When did you get your bruggie, a couple of weeks ago? I got a whole bunch of cuttings the first week of May and some of them are so big already with lots of leaves, I think I've had them for about 6 weeks and I am amazed at their growth rate. So that is all for now hotties, talk to you all later! Clemen

(Cathy), MO

Good morning everyone. I'm thinking I'm going to experiment with mine. Leave some in pots and put some in the ground, and see which ones do the best! Have you all started "feeding" yours yet? I've been giving weak Miracle Grow the last few weeks and they are starting to really leaf out!

I read that weak MG is not enough after they root.
Some areas of the country, ie. northern Mo, Ky, etc. the brugs die in winter outside, and don't come back. BUT, someone also told me In south east Tn. you can leave them in the ground. I live in NW. Tn. and I'm going to leave 1 or 2 outside in the ground, just to see, even though I'd hate to lose one!
Good luck to us all!
Audrey

(Cathy), MO

I'm not planning on leaving them in the ground this winter. Just seeing where they grow the best. AuntB you are close to my area. Do you leave yours in pots or plant them?

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Hi Hotties! Just checking in, took the day off work, to keep working in the yard. Cathy, Audrey is right, try giving them a bit more MG until you think they are gluttons! I have given my big 25 gal pot brugs 2 tablespoons, 2 times a week in peak growing/blooming season. I'm growing all in pots this year. I have put them in drilled hole sided nursery pots, buried in the ground and I planted one last year directly in the ground here in zone 5. No show of growth from the ground/stump.. I store them in my basement over winter. Anjl, how sweet of you to build a garden! I bet you are enjoying a cool break. I gotta get busy!

Midwest City, OK(Zone 7b)

I am using tree fertilizer stakes on my brug. I went back to see where I had read it and sure enough, it was ZZ.. see ZZ, even when you don't know it someone is listening to you! :) I also used Osmacote liberally when I planted mine. Though, I use that on everything... my hostas love that stuff, too. I'm ready to try MaVie's version of the recipe soon. I like the food color idea, so you know when to redo it. I haven't been able to find any worm poop so far. LOL

Everything I have read is that these babies are really hungry little pigs as far as fertilizing goes, and we have so many products on the market now.

Not going to be on here long, my house is unreal today. The roofers showed up unannounced so it's been bang, bang, bang all day and I am driving them nuts running out checking on my plants. Don't you dare touch that brug!! Or that
____ or that ____ (Fill in the blank...) They just look at me like I'm crazy. But our last hail storm really did a number on the roof, so it will be nice to have it solid again.

So, to all the newbie hotties and our hottie mentors, have a good evening! Peg

This message was edited Jun 23, 2008 3:12 PM

What do I fertilize with and how often do I fertilize my new sprouting brug? I think I read it before, but I can't find it now.
Thanks for the help
Linda Kay

Evening Sister hotties! ....and it is hot here at Disney. I wanna go home to my brug babies!!! I can hear them crying for me! This is a sad state of affairs when you reach the point in your life you don't want to leave your plants. Oh well, I'm happy with that!!!

DD conference is going smoothly and she did manage to get off early this afternoon so we could do some shopping. Of course, pots and garden related items, you hotties have ruined me!!

Helllo Linda Kay.

Marion, we have not, you did it to yourselve, hehehe, bring me a nice Mickey gift ok, I'll be waiting for it!!!! JKJK, Who is watering your brugiies while you are away???
And where is everyone???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????Clemen

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

On another thread I asked what a brug was and was sent to this thread. I still may not really know what it is, but from what I've seen, I understand the excitement. I have read this entire thread and really wishing I could share your excitement. I don't know if the brug would live outside here, but would love to see one try. LOL may be to old to get started with this, but like another said, I'm old, not dead.
Faye, Henderson, NC, 68, DOB 12-25-39 Second marriage..wonderful husband, two children, 6 grands. 1 four footed son, Snese.

Welcome Faye.. and heck yes you are very welcome to join us nutty, hottie Sis's!!..lol Hopefully we will all learn together.. A brug is also called an Angel Trumpet... or to US the bain of our existance!!! ....LOL

I have been sooo busy putting up corn and peas today.. been in the woods digging up natives for the RU coming up Saturday

Yay.. Clem is back!! the lil B'day girl...

hello all.. we are still toooooo quiet.... what's up???

Becky

Faye, your the same age as my "younger" sister! Only she was born in June. My son has a Christmas Eve birthday!
Brugs may not survive outside in winter there, but bring them in in winter. I'm a newbie for brugs, too. They grow fast! If mine weren't all just cuttings with leaves, LOL, I'd send you some cuttings!
Welcome!
Audrey

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.