Today's Weather in Your Garden - 19

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Coming from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/837807/

Was beautiful before but now the clouds have rolled in. 60 degrees. Will probably not go much higher.

Thumbnail by victorgardener
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I think your fancyleaf tulip is "Tulip The First" or Professor Monsouri from J.Sheepers.
I have both.Jo Ann

Dang I got beat ! Partly cloudy.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

wrong on the professor.
Your tulip is a Kaufmannia "Tulip the First"
Jo Ann

No, Jo Ann - just checked. It's 'Donna Bella'. Got it from B & B.

Sorry for the double post. Not sure how that happened.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Happy May!! We had frost here, but now it's sunny and 58. Nice!

Clouds are headed your way, Harp.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Yeah, I heard. It's okay. I gotta keep the grass moist. No sign of germination yet. Ho hum... sitting here, waiting to watch the grass grow.

If you have some hay or straw, cover them so the birds don't get them. Will also help keep them moist.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Donna Bella? holy cow mybad
Jo Ann

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Don't have any hay or straw. The dog is keeping the birds away. How long before germination?

Can you hear the grass grow?

Up here 7-12 days. That is with hay on it.

Yes, I was going to say about 10 days. It needs constant moisture so short periods of watering - 2-3 times a day on sunny days. You don't want to soak them like you do with established grass.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Thank you! No, Sherrie. I can't hear the grass grow, and I want to!

When we started the "lawn" we spent a ton of money. Put the seeds down with hay and then we got plumeted with days and days of rain. A lot of the seeds ended up in the wetlands and it has better grass then we do now! grrrrrrrr

Female dogs have urine that puts a spot of yellow on the grass. DH says to scratch the yellow grass, put cow manure on it and then the seeds. Low and behold it does work if you keep it moist without dog urine.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

My backyard is all dog territory. There's bound to be casualties. I don't care if my grass doesn't look wonderful, I just want to fill in the bare patches.

Sorry to hear that all your grass moved to the wetlands Sherrie!

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

We moved everything we could in pots to next to the building, and DH made a kind of tent with scrap wood and a tarp against the back stair rail.
i think all i lost were som Grandpa Otts i'd forgotten i'd stuck in a pot - their little leaves are all shriveled. Owell - i have a lot more seeds!
^_^

Raining now. 53. No shortage of Grandpa Otts, Amy!

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

57 here and rain is on the way. Looks like the weekend may be a wash out.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Well, just took stock of the frost victims. Here's the first. The magnolia.

Thumbnail by boojum

Bleeding heart-red.

Thumbnail by boojum

Bleeding heart-white.

Thumbnail by boojum

Tender new leaves on Pat Austin rose.

Thumbnail by boojum

Everyone else looks okay. And none of these are dead at least. My geranium magnificums were so frosty, I can't believe they are fine!! Hopefully that's the end. The straw arrived today for the pathways.

Thumbnail by boojum
Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Temp 51.6°, Wind SSE 5.6 mph. ☺

Thumbnail by WaterCan2
Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Jezz Boojum how cold did it get there??

- Sre we cross posted, else I would have held the saxifrage for later... out of respect for the wounded!!

This message was edited May 1, 2008 7:51 PM

Ha! That's okay. It was 27 from midnight to 7:30AM. I think it really about how long they are cold. I was counting on the sunrise but it didn't get above freezing then.

Bummer, booj. Sorry to see that.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

boojum, sorry about the frost damage. I would think the bleeding hearts will rebloom this year, and Pat Austin will be fine. I love that rose. That Magnolia would have been splendid this year. It makes me happy to get a peak of your garden. Visions of iris are dancing in my head, plus all the roses and .......too much to envision. When do you move the orchids outside.

We are down to 44 now, but no frost insight. We are having rain later tonight so the temp is not going down much more this evening.

I planted four flats of seeds today, herbs, veggies and a few quick germinating flower. I hope! We worked on the stream a bit. I painted 200 new metal tags a discrete camouflage color today so I can attach the labels tonight and start to plant tomorrow.
I ran out of tags so I have been using some plastic ones which always get lost, and look horrible, so I will replace those with the new metal hair pin ones.

Off to down load today's garden pictures as I am trying to document our narcissus collection. The hard rain did a number on a few, so I think I need to read about stem strength in the future. 'Ice King' really took a knock down in part of the garden, but seemed OK in another. Strange. I also discovered that 'MARTINETTE', as Buggy crazy noted when I ordered them from her, is incredible fragrant. Love that. I planted it near the front door. I thought I was smelling the Hyacinth at first that are planted near them. Patti

No, I doubt the bleeding hearts will not re-bloom. Not if they're the regular spectabilis. They are spring ephemerals.

Marietta, NY(Zone 5a)

Did I hear "incredibly fragrant"? (fragrance fiend in action here......) Is that Tazetta "Martinette", cause if it is, I've been looking for it. Is Buggy crazy a DG name or a company?

Narcissus 'Winston Churchill' has a delightful scent.

Marietta, NY(Zone 5a)

I've got that. You're right, it's delightful. I also have fragrant breeze, fragrant rose, Professor Einstein, and both white and yellow cheerfulness. They are my favorites. Got some others with so-so scent, too.(Like White Lion, Acropolis, Bridal Crown.) I'm always on the lookout for fragrant dafs that are hardy here.

I'll have to try some of those. What fragrant shrubs do you have?

Marietta, NY(Zone 5a)

You realize you're going to get me started........

I have Korean Spice, Burkwoodii and carlessi compacta viburnums. all very fragrant. I got Mohawk last fall but it heaved out during a thaw and I think it's dead. I've got 3 different Mock Oranges. An Old-fashioned one that came with the house, snowbelle, and Innocence. They are wonderfully fragrant, too. Oh, and Carol Mackie Daphne and winter honeysuckle and honey baby honeysuckle. And a white lilac that came with the house.
On the slightly fragrant side, I have both a pink and white flowered forsythia, leptodermis oblonga. sensation and primrose lilacs. A couple of budelia too.
And I'm still collectioning.......

I have one mock orange. A number of fragrant viburnums - Mohawk, judii, Cayuga and a few others I can't remember right now. Clethra is wonderful for mid-summer. A few lilacs, fragrant hostas, fothergilla, and Carol Mackie, though it's still small. 'Serotina' honeysuckle as well. There are more for sure.

Patti, just to let you know the magnolia was splendid-yesterday!

Thumbnail by boojum
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Just getting light out and it's raining. No freeze last night and the temp is at 38 degrees. Sun is supposed to make a showing later.

This message was edited May 2, 2008 5:57 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.