Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

a bit of a problem with your enter key?

Holy cow look what I am seeing!!!

Thumbnail by
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Whooo a bit of a problem with something LOL

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

the edit didn't help

I thought that you could not do that with out putting in some kind of type. Not just spaces.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Yikes!

I lucked out. I didn't get the frost like expected. I did cover some things, just in case and made sure my cold frame was zipped up tight.

I might try and put down some grass seed today, if it's not raining when I get home. I planned on doing it yesterday, but I was tired and cold. Except for the rain, the weather looks good.

Includes the Counties: Northwestern Suffolk, Southwestern Suffolk
Friday...Cloudy. Showers likely this morning...Then a chance of light rain or drizzle this afternoon. Highs in the mid 50s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent.

Saturday...Cloudy. A slight chance of light rain or drizzle in the morning. Highs in the upper 50s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.

Sunday...Showers likely. Highs in the lower 60s. Southeast winds around 10 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent.

Monday...Partly sunny. Highs in the mid 60s.

Tuesday...Sunny. Highs in the mid 60s.

Wednesday...Sunny. Highs in the mid 60s.

Thursday...Partly sunny. Highs in the mid 60s

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

46 and cloudy and grey, kind of looks like schick's screen. It is suppose to get a bit sunny in the afternoon. Perfect day to plant unless the sky opens up.

Victor, my carlesii is about to bloom, one flower yesterday of hundreds to come. The scent is always so welcome.

I found this list that includes *Baby Moon, *Bell Song, Buffawn, Bunting, *Fruit Cup, *Intrigue, *Martinette, *Pipit, Stratosphere, Suzy, Trevithian, Canarybird, Chinese Sacred Lily, Cragford, *Falconet, Galilee, Grand Soleil d'Or, *Geranium, Hoopoe, Silver Chimes *Actaea, Cantablile, Recurvus, Bridal Crown, Cheerfulness, Honolulu, Sir Winston Churchill, *Yellow Cheerfulness, Big Gun, *Carlton, Louise de Coligny, Sweet Charity for good to great fragrance.

I will have to go out and check on my smell meter which of these that I have (*) that are emitting a great scent and then look for a few of the others to add to the garden, including your recommendation, Professor Einstein and fragrance1st's of acropolis. I will check out my 'White Lion' today too. I consider fragrance in the garden a major plus, yet I hate being near any canned or bottled smells.

Buggycrazy is both a member and bulb grower. She sells on line and I have gotten great bulbs from her, always.
http://buggycrazy.vstore.ca/index.php/cName/summer-catalog-soldship-maydec-daffodils

Here is Martinette

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I love Buggycrazy bulbs...you will NEVER find bigger bulbs!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks I'll give it a try.Just added it ot "my favorits"
Jo Ann

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

49, overcast and drizzling. Thanks for the list, Patti, and the Buggy recommendation. Carlesii will be a welcome sign of spring.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

51, overcast, drizzling.

Sorry about your losses, boojum!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

50* cloudy and light rain
Expect the same through the weekend.
Put the annuals out for a drink and whatever sun comes along

Thumbnail by ge1836
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Jo Ann check out this picture...it's from my first order back in "06"

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=2791743

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Holycow that's a big one. I used to get tall lilies from B&J LILIES in Port Townsend . their bulbe are that size, orientals mostly, I managed to bring one White Henri with me.
I bought Midnight Strain
Cassablanca
and Copper King

Thumbnail by ge1836

Who don't have some kind of DL?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is an oriental not hemerocallis(DL)
I stand corrected The yellow lily from the BJ list was Moonlight Strain

Thumbnail by ge1836
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I just bought 5 Copper King's this spring, they came in about a week ago.

Sherrie, did you say you need Daylilies?????? LOL

Nope.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

These lilies really do achieve 6 feet. I stake them with rebar.
The blooms are heavy and will break a suport stem if not tied up.
Good luck pixie I love them.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I just placed an order with Buggy Crazy for some more narcissus which included some she lists as fragrant ones. I also ordered more of one of my newer favorite fragrant spring flowers, Hyacinthus orientalis albulus. Pictured here with Narcissus Sagitta. It is like a loose old fashioned Hyacinthus with the great scent.

I have bought many lilies from her including 'Godzilla' which gets HUGE.

Her site was acting strange this morning and randomly adding numbers and items to my cart, but I fixed the order before I sent it and all is good. The only warning I have, is that she ships the narcissus early, so I have to store them in my basement until fall. No big deal, but if you order, don't be surprised if a box arrives in mid to late August.

We had a brief downpour a few minutes ago and now beginning again another light shower. Off to continue organizing for todays afternoon planting. Have a good one all. Hey, dear Mother, No More Frosts for anyone, please. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

Cute comparison shot, Celeste!

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Cold grey miserable drizzle now. Temp can't get past 40 degrees. Hope the sun does come out later.......and nothing strange happens when I post this. :)

Cloudy grey miserable no drops. Trying to hit 50. echie beenie the spirit is about to speak.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

52 and sunny here now, should reach up to 58 today.

I hate you. LOL - kidding.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Cloudy, drizzly. Perfect grass growing weather.

Marietta, NY(Zone 5a)

Good afternoon, all. Joining the party a little late today.

Vic, I forgot I also have Fragrant Abelia, and just got Daphne Eternal fragrance from Bluestone. I have only been fragrant gardening for about 3 or 4 years, but I've got quite a collection of fragrants- hosta, iris, peonies, lilies -(day, oriental, Madonna, trumpet, la-longiforum, formosa, etc), dianthus, cimicifuga, phlox, honeysuckle vines, clematis, Verbena, Petunia, Brugmansias, Violas, echinacea, mums, saponaria, and of course the fall planted bulbs, tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, etc.

Bbrookrd, thanks for the info on Buggy Crazy. She has Tripartite!!!! (I'm doin' the happy gardener dance, here!!!!!) Just a note on Acropolis, it has a strong fragrance, but not a sweet one. It's almost pungent, but kind of pleasing. Some people do not like the smell at all. Very pretty flower, though. I would really appreciate it if you could let me know your "scent ranking" on the dafs you have.

Fragrance is a very subjective thing. I don't like brugmansia or buddleia. Oriental lilies can sometimes be way too overpowering for me. I love lilac, lavender, viburnums, roses, honeysuckle, jasmine and gardenia.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Me too
Jo An

Marietta, NY(Zone 5a)

You're right, Vic. Fragrance is very subjective. I've noticed in catalogs that the same cultivars fragrance is described differently. I like fragrant breeze and fragrant rose daf, but some catalogs say they are both slightly scented. I've noticed the same thing about day lilies. Descriptions of fragrance vary widely. Probably because it's so subjective. I like to get different people's opinions on fragrance. If someone likes the same stuff I do, then I can rely on their nose's recommendations. Saves me money and time. ( both important things)

True. I have also noticed fragrance vary from the same plant from one year to the next.

Marietta, NY(Zone 5a)

You too? And here I thought my nose was going....

How can you remember that long ago what something smelled like? Did you make samples of the scratch and sniff?

Marietta, NY(Zone 5a)

I wish I could..... Wouldn't that be great!!! No seriously, I noticed the difference in a couple of things, like the Linden tree blooms and lily of the valley. One year they are incredibly overpowering - the next year looking to see if they bloomed cause I can't smell them from a distance when I'm downwind. Strange isn't it?

I just thought os something- would it be fabulous to have scratch and sniff in plant catalogs???? I hope nobody actively sells skunk cabbage, then it would "stink".

This message was edited May 2, 2008 1:02 PM

I've often thought about that too. Wish we could 'record' fragrance, like we can with sights and sounds. My pieris is another that varies noticeably from year to year. Hostas too.

53 and still overcast. Hardly any rain. Caught this guy before.

Thumbnail by victorgardener
belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

No scratch'n'sniff for salvia, marigolds, or cleomes either, thanks...

The salvia DH dug up for me last year - i hated it SO much because of its smell - he planted up by the woods - doomsday for almost anything. (i had him cut it back 1st). It never put out anything the rest of last year, so i figured owell... But it has come back - a nice little mound of green leaves. And it is far enough away that i don't smell it!

Rhinebeck, NY(Zone 5b)

Victor, I love your cardinal. My favorite bird. We have several families roosting year round in some old apple trees next to our house. And this morning I "caught" a mother robin stalking earthworms in my veggie patch! DH has hung a huge feeder right off the side porch, and if we stay really still, the chickadees come right up and eat from us with us barely 3' away.

That's great. My feeder is right outside the window next to my computer so I'm constantly watching the show. Here's a bluejay from before. They're tough to get - they see any movement - even inside the house - and fly off.

Thumbnail by victorgardener
Rhinebeck, NY(Zone 5b)

Glorious blue jay!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.