Flower Software

Ty Ty, GA(Zone 8a)

Hello,
The program is not very big, the complete download is only in only 8 to 9 megs.
The pictures are what will take up the most space. If you added 200 daylilies with pictures the program will take approximately 30 megs. You could put it on a flash drive but the program is small enough that is should not be a problem to keep on your hard drive. Use the flash drive to make a backup of the program.

Thanks for all the links for reference to new sections and updates to existing sections.
Kent

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

Kent,

The program is no longer working with the lastest update. The revisions will not download. The program will not do anything.

I have been having a wonderful time with your Flower Program 2008. I’ve spent hours adding all my perennial plants into the program. I’m at home gardener (hobbyist) and this program is giving me away to organize my plants. When I finish entering my information I’m sure I’ll have a lot of suggestions that might hopefully enhance the program.

I have run into a few problems with the flower program that I hope you can fix.

1. I would like to change my user name on the Plantstep web site from Debra A. Lefferts to dlefferts

2. When I try to open the Flower Program from the start button to the all program menu to Flower 2008 button. I get an error message.
Error 1, Line 76, program c: Rocket/Flower/Flower.exe., Message: Files: documents and settings/debralefferts/planstep.txt does not exist.

3. I have been working a lot with the Perennial section of your program and have found that the program does not separate or create the following sections for each plant that I have entered - Awards Information, Notes, Purchased From, and Sold To. The sections Perennial Info and picture work well.

4. I have entered 26 of my astilbes and the program alphabetize correctly until I entered the following - Astilbe ‘Visions’, Astilbe ‘Visions in Red’, Astilbe ‘White Diamond’. The program alphabetize in the following order Astilbe ‘Visions’,, Astilbe ‘White Diamond’, Astilbe ‘Visions in Red’. I checked and each was entered the same.

5. I have an old computer, and it is having problems. I’ve spent a lot of time entering all my perennial information. I would like to back-up my information, I can’t bear to lose all the information I’ve put into the program.

My very first suggestion would be to change Botanical Name: to Botanical Name/Genus:, and Variety Type: to Variety Type/Cultivar.

Please feel free to contact me.

Thanks for a great program
Debbie Lefferts

This message was edited Apr 18, 2008 10:11 AM

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6a)

Now a great program just got better. With the last update 5.5 (I think it was) Kent placed the update in it. Well tonight I just opened the program and the first thing it told me was that there was an update waiting for me to download. Now is that cool or what. Looks like ( If I understand it correctly) we can print invoices off. And another great thing is being able to start printing labels also. He also made it where if a person has a particular cultivar in numerous locations a person has a way of placing were each one is located.

Here is all the newest updates.
New features include:
- Daylily - New garden location database to allow multiple locations in your garden for each daylily
- Daylily - Remove copy button - use new multiple bed locations instead of duplicate daylilies
- Daylily - New customer / vendor database to allow for purchase from and sold to to be selected from the database
- Daylily - Find - remember sizes and order of columns on next find
- Daylily - More - Add wire color and program fields
- Daylily - Have/Want - Change Parent only to Pollin only
- Daylily - Report - Add option to print for single bed or all beds
- Daylily - Report - Add color field
- Daylily - New labels option to print labels for your garden
- Hybridize - Add wire color and notes to pollination page and add wire color to seedling page.
- Hybridize - Pollination report - add report type for pollination report and harvest report. Add wire color.
- Hybridize - add daylily comments to the description
- Fixed some problems and hopefully did not add any new ones....

This message was edited Apr 17, 2008 11:28 PM

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

Wagsworld or Kent, can you help me?
When i open the program I get:
vpectrl3.ocx is not registered....I hit ok

Then i get -vpectrl3.ocx is not registered
Reporting is suspended login as administrator
must be able to register vpectrl3.ocx OCX file....I hit ok again

then i get- vpectrl3.ocx is not registered....I hit ok again

get the second message again- and then hit ok, and I'm in, but cannot make a catalog with report

What should I do to make it work? I was able to upload my daylilies to the internet, it didn't fuss at that, just no reports.
I am logged in as administrator already, but I must need to change some setting.

Thank you both!! Julie

Ty Ty, GA(Zone 8a)

Hello Julie,
If you have Vista, you should right click on the Flower Icon on the desktop and select "Run as Administrator". Unforturnatly, even though you are an administrator, Vista does not consider you one when you run programs, so you have to force the program to "Run as Administrator". Good thing is you only have to do this once to get the print controls activated on your computer. There is an option in the support button "Register Print Controls" that will fix this problem also. If you are still having problems, please send me an email.
Thanks,
Kent

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

Kent,
Thanks for handling my name change so quickly. Do you work twenty-four hours a day?
I've never seen someone react so quickly to people's questions & problems.
Thanks
Debbie

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

Nope, that fixed it right up!! I agree with Debbie, you must not sleep much. Thanks for this program, it's really nicely thought out.

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

I just got this after all of your comments. I'm still figuring it out but like it more every day. Kent has been great in answering questions. Do we have him in the Garden Watchdog so we can say nice things about him?

Leslie

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6a)

Hum Leslie, That's a good question. But since its a program for plants but not a plant can he be added to it? Be nice if we could

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

I'll ask Admin. and thanks for your kind words this morning on Tinkers, Wags.

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Good news. I checked with Terry and the software is already listed in the Watchdog. Here's the link: http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/6621/

We can leave feedback.

Ty Ty, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank you all so much for the kind words and support.
It has been lots of fun working on the Flower program and receiving great ideas from everyone to make it better.
I am working on the next update, that should be ready soon...

One of the new updates in the next version is a Todo option. This will create a list of things you need Todo in your garden.
You can create a Todo from any daylily or a general todo item and it will be active until it is marked completed.
You can print your Todo list of all active items so you will know what you need to do in your garden.

Thanks again for everyones support,
Kent

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6a)

Have to brag on the next version that Kent is working on. Sorry its daylily stuff again. But here is what the Beta Version has in the updates.

Welcome to the Flower program version 5.7
New features include:
- Favorites - Fix delete favorite picture not deleting
- ToDo - New Todo option and report
- Daylily - New Todo button
- Daylily - Report - Add select for Hybridizer and Season
- Daylily - Import from DaylilyPro - Contacts / Invoices / Expenses
- Daylily - Fix print labels positions
- Daylily - Catalog - Change Hybridizer, Reg year and put characteristics on separate line
- Daylily - Find - Add new Fertile column
- Hybridize - Pollination - New Add button
- Hybridize - Seedling - New Add button
- Hybridize - Seedling - New Bed/Row location fields
- Invoice - New invoice options, print invoice and report
- Expenses - New expense options and report

Ain't this just super. Now I don't have to use Daylily Pro anymore and just in time. Things are starting to disappear from it, like my orders.

Thanks again Kent. You deserve a medal.

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

kent, just a thought. I would love to be able to see a list of what DL's are all ready entered in the program. Not to print out, just list on the screen.
Chuck

Ty Ty, GA(Zone 8a)

Hello Chuck,
Check out the "Find" button on the daylily screen. It will give you a list of all your daylilies. The best part is you can click on the caption of any column to sort by that column so you can see all your daylilies sorted by hybrizer, season, description, color or any other column.
Thanks,
Kent

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi Kent:
I tried to email you at info@plantstep.com, the email wouldn't go through your program thought my message was spam.
When I updated my day lily information on the internet I lost the descriptions on the following day lilies:
Crimson Pirate
Elaine Strutt
Happy Returns
JoJo
Little Grapette
Lynn Hall
I'm not a breeder so I might be missing something. I'm starting to know what the abbreviations mean!!!
I hope I'm not driving you crazy today.
Thanks
Debbie

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi Kent:
I tried to email you at [e-mail:info@plantstep.com], the email wouldn't go through your program thought my message was spam.
I know I have been offering a lot of suggestions. I hope you don’t mind. I’m a home gardener and see so many ways that your program could work for me and others. I have learned so much from what you have done with the daylilies, but I only own sixteen of them. I deal with plants that can be an annual, biennial, or a perennial. These plants can have a lot of different uses as Alpine & Rock Gardens, Herb Garden, Tender Perennial & Tropicals, and etc. These plants can also be bulbs, groundcovers, ornamental grasses & bamboos, annuals, perennials, etc. I think if you change the categories to reflect the categories listed below, that the program would appeal to more gardeners, not just daylily/etc. breeders. The program should also input the plants entered to the different categories listed, .for each plant.
Category:
Alpines & Rock Gardens
Annuals
Biennials
Bulbs
Edible Fruits & Nuts
Vegetables
Groundcovers
Herbs
Ornamental Grasses & Bamboo

Perennials
(Sub-Category under Perennials as you devise the new special programs for each plant)
Clematis
Daylilies
Hostas
Irises
Roses
Wild Flowers

Ponds & Aquatics
Shrubs
Trees
Tropical & Tender Perennials
Vines & Climbers
Cactus & Succulents
Ferns
Palms
Cycads
Conifers
Carnivorous & Insectivorous
Epiphytes
Parasites & Hemi parasites
Mosses
N/A
Thanks again,
Debbie

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6a)

Here is a list for some abbreviations that I can think of. Some folks abbreviates differently but you should be able to tell the difference

Ez=eye-zone;
Tet= Tetraploid;
Dip= Diploid
EE= Extra Early
E= Early
M= Midseason
MLa= Late Midseason
La= Late
Re= Reblooms
EV= Evergreen
Sev= Semi-Evergreen
Dor=Dormant
frag.= Fragrant
Vfra= very Fragrant
ext.= Extended, bloom last for more than 16hrs
noc.= Nocturnal.

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

Wagsworld,
Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. I've learned so much about daylilies from the flower program. It is really a wonderful program.
Debbie

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I just used the sort by Hybridizer - gosh, that is great. But I see I didn't list some of my plants!!

Ty Ty, GA(Zone 8a)

Hello Debbie,
I received your emails and thank you for all the great info you sent. I have printed all your emails and will use the info when I update the rose and iris sections and start the new sections.
Thanks so much for all your help in making the Flower program even better,
Kent

Crosby, TX(Zone 9a)

I FINALLY got my co-op daylilies in my computer....and I just have to say - that "Find" feature for entering the information is the most WONDERFUL thing that could happen! I only have 4 I'm actually going to have to look up. I'm loving this program more and more every day!

Connie

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

Hi Kent,
Just an FYI. I just got a DL that wasn't on the list.Thought I would let you know if you already didn't.
List is from AHS.

Man on Fire (Heemskerk, 2005)
height 24", season M, bloom 6", Rebloom, foliage sev. , Tetraploid
red flame cream margin blend with green eye and throat

Chuck

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I don't think anything newer than 2002 is on his database, I'm having to add anything 2003 and newer manually.

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Ditto to Sadie. It's amazing that they have the others available though.

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

You're right about that Leslie, it saves SO much time!

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6a)

Everyone should get an update tomorrow. This program just keeps getting better and better

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Amazing. Thanks for the heads up.

Leslie

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I hope the AHS data base gets back on line again. I used it so much to get 'background' info on cultivars.
Does anybody grow Stanley Saxton's "Big Bertha"? I got it as a bonus from the Saxton's, it is one of their Adirondack cultivars and I would love to see a picture.

I got my update this AM and think it is great.

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Love the update, makes things so much easier to record. Hope the irises will have label making ability later. That would save a lot of work out in the garden relabeling tags all the time. Weather here fades them fast. I miss my paint pen. The permanent markers are not permanent si I will have to find a source for thin paint pens or use labels with clear duck tape over them possibly

Love being able to record the locations of my plants. The fields were too small before in the program, not now. Grin.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

i purchased this software and was having trouble installing it on my computer, with a few e-mails back & forth,kent helped me work it out and it is running smoothly. they have wonderful customer service and were very patient with me till i figured it out. thanks again.

Erika

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

If you are reading this thread, and still haven't purchased the program, Go For It ! You won't be dissapointed, it is truely the best computer program available for gardeners, and it's just keeps getting better.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I'll be all over it as soon as there are some more options for plants other than daylilies. I have so many plants besides daylilies I need software to keep straight.

Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

Thought I would bump this up. Just purchased it to keep track of all of the seeds I
purchased on the LA.

It really is so easy to use. Wish I would have purchased it sooner.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I purchased it also and loaded it last week but had trouble running it so he siad he would call me but I have not had time to Email and set a time. I am excited to use it this year. Looks like it has so much info you would use all in one place.

I have had this program since 2002 when Kent did all the upgrades this year he sent me an email with the update link. I love all the new features plus the fact that it did not cost me extra to update to the 2008 version.

Dexter, ME

I have a question-not sure if it had been addressed or not-I have not got the program yet,but I am very interested in it.
Does it pick which daylily to do your crosses with when you type in the pollen parent?

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

I got it a couple of months ago and really love it. Bought it from the LA. I am slowly entering all the old DL and any new ones I win. Unfortunately most of the newest ones are not in the database, but it is not that difficult to enter them s no problem.

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6a)

Flowersthebest. Check out Kents website under the videos and watch the Hybridizing Helper one. Maybe this will answer your question(s)

http://www.plantstep.com/videos.htm

Dexter, ME

didnt see any video's just x's in each of the boxes?dunno

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.