Flower Software

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Ditch,
With the new version he has all registered ones through 2005 that you can access with the search so you don't have to enter them yourself.

les

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks, I have found that there are more avaioable since the last update. However, I have been fortunate enough to get some 2006 and 2007's intro's that are not there yet. Of course neither are mine, they are all snug in their beds until spring! I am anticipating their arrival.

Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

The software program also gives you a running total of how many you have. And how many you want. My want count is higher lol

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

I have not used it for my hybridizations yet (did not own it then) but will use it to keep track of seedlings from bought seeds. Parents of all bought seeds are entered in the program as "Day Lily Name (seed parent)" and listed as "wanted" to distinguish them from those plants I already have.

How do all of you handle seedlings from bought seeds whose parent(s) you do not have?

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

I put them under "pollen" so they'll show up when you're doing the hybridizing matching thing. I don't know that wanted ones show up there.

Stafford, VA(Zone 7a)

I am still figuring the program out (I am slow) and do not nearly have all my daylilies in...let alone seedlings. However, I wanted to put some pictures in of seedlings and the way I found to do it (not that this is right, mind you) is that I put SEEDLINGS: abc x def That way, all the seedlings are grouped together in the big list. Does this make any sense...lol? I'm sure there's a better way, but I think this is working for me. Otherwise, I found it would sort them and my crosses would be randomly (well, alphabetically) in the list. It keeps the crosses (mine or from purchased seeds) where I can easily find them. I need easy...lol.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Last time I tried (before current version) I had to make them 'have' instead of 'wanted' in order to be able to use them in the hybridizing section. Haven't checked to see if this has changed.

MollyD

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

DitchLily206 did you mean as far as listing them or for hybridizing with them? To just list them (like you would any cultivar) you can just enter the information with a name or number for the sdlg name. Over on the right side below the stats is a box that says seedling. Check that and the program knows that's a seedling. Of course this won't work with just the seeds since you don't have an actual plant. For seeds I had to create a file for the missing parent and check them off as have instead of wish. Makes a bit of a mess of the records but it was the only work around I found.

MollyD

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Please forgive me if I missed this being discussed above, but Kent has set up an e-mail Robin so folks can post about their experiences using the software. I haven't been following it but cache the posts in case I need help in the future.

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Keeping them "wanted" helps right now because it lets me pull up the list separately to check if I have all seed parents entered in the program.

I probably will have to change them to "have" because you guys are correct: Daylilies listed as Wanted do not show up for hybridization purposes. That is one reason I included the (seed parent) designation in the name, to differentiate them from my haves.

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6a)

I've asked this question before and this is the answer I got.
You can select Unknown for pod or pollen parent and then when you create the cross, you can go to the second page pollination cross planning and select the cross and click edit and change the pod or pollen info to what every you would like.

Besides the yahoo email group Kent also has a forum to discuss the program and also fairly new a facebook group.

http://www.plantstep.com/forum/default.asp

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Will have to try. Thanks.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Thanks wagsworld! This helps but how would you handle photos? I like being able to see the pictures side by side when I'm planning. If I want to use a seedling from purchased seeds to make a cross I first want to look at it's known parents so I can examine the features. How would you deal with this?

MollyD

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6a)

Yea that's one thing I'd like to see to but guess I would live with out it. I think (don't know for sure, Kent if your here respond) It would be like having another database within the data base and eventually would get to large making it slower to open and other problems. Now if there was a way to just use the online database just for that purpose that would be great.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I think a simple work around is having the program let you enter a 'wanted' plant as a parent in the hybridizing screen. I don't mind entering the data for plants I don't own but want (or might want).
Kent could that feature be added?

MollyD

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

I wonder how difficult it would be to add another choice: "Seed Parent" to the Have/Want section and have that show up in the hybridization section. There is already the "Pollen" choice.

What I meant about my current work-around is to just add (seed parent) to the name and say that I have it. For example: ALL DOLLED UP (seed parent) as the name.

edit: Just tried the "pollen" choice and it shows up in both the "Pod Parent" and "Pollen Parent" windows. I incorrectly assumed that it would only show up in the pollen window. That is good enough for me!

This message was edited Jan 26, 2009 9:44 AM

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Maybe I'm miss understanding what you want to do ............ I didn't read every post in this thread.

I haven't tried this yet, but since we can have more than one "File Cabinet" in flowers now, couldn't one be created for anything you wanted. "Wanted" ..... "Pollen Only" ..... "Hybridizing Seedlings" .... etc.

Do all the "file cabinets" show up when you use the hybridizing tool?

Kathy

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Don't know Kathy. I haven't tried having different cabinets.

MollyD

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6a)

The cabinets is one thing I haven't even fooled with it. can't really figure out the purpose of them

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

haha ......... Kent has made this program do so many things for us, it's hard to find the time to try them all out.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

The first thing I was going to use other cabinets for was to create a "Wanted" one.

I also thought it would be useful to create one for plants that I don't have, but have seedlings with them as a parent. I trade and purchase a lot of seed, and usually don't own the parents in that case. I'd rather have them separate from my main file of plants I own. When you see your list of plants, you don't have to wonder ..... do I really have that one? Of course I have a lot of plants, so don't always remember .............

- Kathy

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Kathy I tend to forget who's died on me. I can remember getting the plant but sometimes don't know what's happen to it.
I'd like a deceased button that I can check off when it happens.

MollyD

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

"deceased button" ........... haha

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Molly: Just make it short and sweet: "RIP"

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

LOL I can just see me wondering what RIP stand for on one of my goofy days!

MollyD

Blanchard, MI(Zone 5a)

Has anyone used this program for irises and how did it perform with this plant, has it been update for irises?

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Sorry, just DL's for me. Have you asked on the Iris forum?

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I haven't tried using it for my other plants yet.

MollyD

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6a)

I haven't use the iris pages but here is what page one and 2 look like

Thumbnail by wagsworld
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6a)

Here is page 2

Thumbnail by wagsworld
Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Looks useful!

Stafford, VA(Zone 7a)

I was trying to say...not very well....that when I open it up and go into my daylilies...I can click on the above cross as mentioned...I click on the parentage tab...and there I can insert photos of the pod and pollen parents (even though I don't own these plants) without a problem...then I go into the pictures tab and enter my seedling pictures, labeling them...This works for me....although I am not utilizing the hybridizing feature. I think because I am not that computer savvy, I find my way (which I think I got help from Kent on, actually) works for me. I can see the parents...I can see the resulting seedlings...I can find them easily.

Fredericksburg, VA

I am going to have to get this program. Looks to good to be true.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

You will love it and need it with all those seedlings.

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

So far it has delivered what it promised and then some. I would recomend it.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

It's great! I've been using it just over a year.
It's also not expensive and updates are free.

MollyD

Dayton, KY(Zone 6a)

This program is fantastic!

As a back yard hybridizer wanta-be, it pays for itself over and over in keeping plants, seeds and seedling organized. I love it so much that I am helping a friend do a presentation on it at the Mid West hybridizer's meeting in March. Kent and Lisa are so fantastic that they are even putting together a power point to help us show all the features since neither one of us have it loaded on a laptop.

I am even thinking of buying a second licence for my classroom. It is so user friendly that my 7th grade students would love it to keep track of the daylilies and seedlings we have growing in our outdoor classroom.

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

I want to copy a bunch (over 400) DL from the main cabinet to a new one. Anyone know if there is a way to copy/move multiple entries at the same time or does it have to be done one by one by one.....?

Edit: I don't think Kent ever sleeps, I sent him an Email asking this question and got a response a minute after I posted the same question here (perhaps 10 minute turn around?). Anyway the answer from the source is:

Quoting:
Currently there is no mass copy option. The only way is to do it one at a time.

Maybe I can create an option to let you select many at a time and copy or move. I will put that on my list.

This message was edited Feb 4, 2009 6:35 AM

Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

Okay....I just bought this program after I read all the great reviews from everyone here.
I definately needed something else, since the binders are really stacking up around here!

I just hope I can do it!!....lol!!

Does it take the 24 hours to receive it, as was indicated when I ordered?

This message was edited Feb 4, 2009 12:13 PM

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Mine was much faster:

I bought it on the LA 10/3 at 6:30 AM. I received an Email from Kent Balen at 10:59 AM acknowledging my win. I sent Pay-Pal payment around 10:12 AM and received the Email with download instructions and link at 10:20 AM the same day. Can't fault the service.

Hope yours is equally fast. I love the program and am so glad that I bought it. I have not found it difficult to use. It seems very intuitive to me. By that I mean that how things work makes sense to me

This message was edited Feb 4, 2009 2:17 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.