Flower Software

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6a)

Don't know if this program has been discussed here or not. I did a search for it and didn't see it so i thought I'd talk a little about it and why I'm using it.

I've been using a program called Daylily Pro which cost a little over $100 last fall the owner informed me that he was no longer selling the program nor updating it any longer. Wasn't going to worry about it because its a great program and was working that is till my latest Microsoft upgrade. It started having a few problems and when i heard that Microsoft is getting ready to release the service pack 3 I thought I'd better find something a fast. Well after looking around and remembering a program that someone told me about before I found it and noticed that it had been upgraded quite a bit since the last time i looked at it a few years ago. So I talked to this owner and mentioned what i had and what I was looking for in a program. He said that alot of what I was looking for he had or was working on it. So I went ahead and purchased it. This one is a whole lot cheaper. After getting it I sent the owner my old program and he looked it over and has done a few more upgrades and made away to export my cultivars both named and seedlings from Daylily Pro to his.

So if any of y'all have the Daylily Pro and /or looking for a program. I highly recommend the Flower Software. Here is their webpage check it out
http://www.plantstep.com

This message was edited Mar 10, 2008 1:02 AM

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wagsworld - I have the software and it is great! Very user friendly, Kent is working on upgrades. I highly recommend this software.

Lyle

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I too now have the software ;-). I went and watched the info video. Oh how this is going to help me. Im not good with the computer, or havent learned it all yet. I loose and/or have info spread everywhere. Thanks for the info.

Crosby, TX(Zone 9a)

I watched the video this morning also, I think it's actually something I could use - I've been using Excel to try to keep up with things - that got behind - and my best bet for everything now is my Dave's journal - BUT - I would like to have this program to really keep up with things. Thanks for the info.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

I've used this program for several years and love it.

Not only is it user friendly, but you actually get fantastic customer service! Kent listens to all suggestions and upgrades the program frequently. The best money I have ever spent on any software of any kind.

Worth much more than it's $30 price tag in my opinion. .............. upgrades are free!

Grove City, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks so much Wagsworld. I just ordered this software. I have also been using a spreadsheet program to track my DLs, and I need a database instead! I'm too lazy to try to configure one myself.
Lisa

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I use it too. Kent is working on the other sections of the program so they'll all be as great as the daylily section is now. As others have said he is very good about responding to questions and upgrading the program.

MollyD

Grove City, OH(Zone 5b)

Wow!! I just downloaded my new purchase and it looks GREAT!!! So much space for so much info on each cultivar for such a low price. Now I have to get crackin' to enter all the daylilies and their photos. This is the only time I enjoy doing data entry.
Lisa

Butler, PA(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the information....It looks like just what the doctor ordered.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Well that poor guy is going to get tired of me. I can get the part to open that tells you how to use it. Something to do with word/word perfect. Im setting my daughter on to it this afternoon. At least I got it downloaded.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Pam,

Kurt can actually access your computer to see what's wrong if you give him permission and download some software that lets him do this. My isp had to do this one time and it's a little freaky to watch while your computer responds to someone who's not even in your home!!

MollyD

Crosby, TX(Zone 9a)

gardenglory - I think that's the same problem I'm having with it. Kurt sent me an email and said he'd call at a good time - but - today has just not been the day - I'm hoping to be able to deal with it tomorrow.

Molly - I've had that same thing happen to me - and I agree - it's real freaky!

Connie

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

I don't know if this will fix the problem a couple of you are having, but :

If you are running it with Vista, start the program by right clicking on the shortcut, and choosing "run as administrator"

You only have to start it this way once .......... it fixed an issue I was having because of Vista.

Kathy

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6a)

I got a beta update today. Kent is working on the Hybridizing section. It has a pod and pollen columns you pick one from each click on cross and then it has a place to record hos many seeds produced and how many germinated. Then you can make a seedling and place your info there. He is also trying to work with Mike Longo, owner of the Lily Auction, and getting the program and the auction site together were you can make a auction listing straight from the program. Another great update that just came through is the catalog section. You can make and print out a catalog or place it online.

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

I just want to say that you completely sold me on this software. I heard about it once before, but didn't really look into it until I saw this post.
I plan to start doing some hybridizing this year and this will really help with my record keeping.

I went right over there and purchased it. Now I just have to install it to my computer.

Thanks,
Joy

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Joy on most computer installation is a piece of cake. Vista seems to create some problems. I don't have it so I don't know how Kurt is dealing with that.

Wags would love to see the new beta but the catalog was in my latest full update so that's not new. It's great even if you aren't selling because it gives you a quick way to look up your plants (with photos and info) if you don't want to turn the computer on each time to do it. You can either print out one copy for yourself or take the file to a printer to have many copies made.

MollyD

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Installation with Vista goes fine ........... the only thing you have to remember is to start the program by right clicking on the shortcut, and choosing "run as administrator" the first time you start it.

(at least when I installed the newest version a few weeks ago you had to do that)

Crosby, TX(Zone 9a)

Well - I talked to Kent this morning - felt like a total fool - mine was working right - I just wasn't working right....LOL. Nicest guy to deal with though, so now on to entering all my flowers and "playing" with it.

Kathy - I told him you had said you had used it for several years so I knew it must be pretty good,he said you were a great supporter and said to tell you "Thank You"

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

diamndsnjns,

Don't feel bad. I had a learning curve too at first :-) Once you learn what to do it's really easy. The nice thing is he answers when you have a question. You should also sign up for the forum he's got on the web page.

MollyD

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6a)

Yes don't forget to sign up for the forum and the yahoo group that's for the program.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Kent is a great person to deal with isn't he. You don't find this kind of support for software or a product very often.

Good to see everyone spreading the word about this great program ....... we don't want it to dissapear due to lack of interest.

Kathy

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Kathy this morning someone posted about it on the AHS Robin so Kurt will probably be seeing even more users for it!

MollyD

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6a)

That was me. I was waiting to get permission before I could post it there.

Crosby, TX(Zone 9a)

Okay guys, I'm on a roll now - been adding my daylilies all day long. I've gotten a few pictures added and played with the favorite pics section - also the catalog section. I've still got to go back and add a lot of details on my flowers, but this is a WONDERFUL program......thanks wagsworld for letting us know about it - and thanks to Kathy for verifying it's so good.....

Connie

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6a)

Thought I'd share a sneak peek to those that's interested in the hybridizing section that Kent is working on. I made a screen shot video. I haven't figured how to make my capture screen shot smaller so you'll have to move the screen up and down and back and forth to see everything.

http://screencast.com/t/gf0VsQu2

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Thank You Wags, I continue to be amazed at how powerful this "little" program is becoming.

Kathy

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Wags I'm dying here! What do you see when you click on Hybridize?

MollyD

Crosby, TX(Zone 9a)

Molly - I'm getting a box that says it's not quite ready yet....is that what you're getting?

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I don't have the beta form. I have version 4.2 and under hybridize I get spots for both parents and any seedlings the plant may have. I wondered if there were any changes in the beta form.

MollyD

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6a)

Couldn't you see the video that i posted a link for? I really need to learn how to shrink it down to a more viewable format. But that section is still in beta mode and a few folks is working with Kent before he releases it to everyone that owns a copy.

When you click on Hybridize. You get 2 columns of daylilies when you choose the pod parent and pollen parent the picture (if you have one) shows up and the plant info underneath each. Then you click on create pollen cross. Then another page come up and you can place the info on in like pollenation date, Harvest Date, Out of Fridge Date, Total Seeds, Germinated seeds, Then you can click a button that says create seedlings and it will create the amount of seeds that germinated. It also has a place to affix a prefix to your seedling but he's still working on it because of there are so many ways folks label their seedlings.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Thanks Wags. Sorry I didn't spot the link when I looked. Sounds like he's on the right track! We're keeping him so busy that he hasn't had a chance to add a hosta section which I need badly! The perennial section just doesn't work well for my hostas.

MollyD

Crosby, TX(Zone 9a)

okay - I see what ya'll are talking about - I get the 2 spots for the daylilies too - I was looking at the main page when the program starts under hybridize. The video you did works great - I could see full screen - can't wait til he gets it all working - this program is great!

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Wags I went back and looked for the video link. Now that I knew it was there of course I could find it! I'm really looking forward to having that new feature for next years kids! Too late for this year. Like you I use DEN-2008- (numbered in sequence as I add them) so the system as he has it so far would work for me as long as there was a manual over ride for creating seedling names (numbers).

MollyD

Butler, PA(Zone 5b)

Good video Wags. Thanks

Dayton, KY(Zone 6a)

Thank you for all this great information! - After checking out their site and viewing the sneek preview that Wags provided on the hybridizing, I placed my order for the program. I think it will be fantastic to use at school with my students as we keep track of all the daylily seeds we are germinating this year.

Thanks again! Lisa

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I looked at this program too after you all posted about it. It looks great for daylilies but the videos give very little information about the other plant sections such as perennials, vegetables, etc.

Can those of you who have used it tell me if those sections are as useful as the daylily section? Is there anywhere in the various sections to sort the plants by what garden you have them planted in? I wrote to Kent and he gave me some information but not a lot. He said a garden map is planned in the future for the other sections and is started in the daylily section.

I guess my concern is that I have a lot of other plants I would use this for besides daylilies and I want to know if it's worthwhile for all my gardens. I wish they would post screenshots or something of the other sections.

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6a)

I haven't really looked at the other sections because i don't fool with anything else at this moment. But here is a look at what's in the program.

http://screencast.com/t/joIbBW2rL

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I just read a letter on the AHS robin that Kurt is trying to find a way to load the whole AHS database into it so we can research ancestry right from our programs! THAT would be a very valuable asset to have! I assume it would have to be updated yearly but so what.

MollyD

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Wagsworld, thank you so much for making that video. That helps a lot. I'm mainly looking for more of a garden inventory and journal program. This looks like it would be good for inventory of various types of plants but it doesn't look like it will have some of the other features I want such as seed inventories and other types of records on garden activities.

It does look like a perfect program for keeping records on daylilies, though. Someone should let the rose and iris forum folks know about this too.

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

Wagsworld, I had no interest in buying this before watching that video. Really that's nice. I might have to buy it :/ not sure whether or not to thank you or virtually smack you with my paperwork.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.