Spring Blooms!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

DH brought in the oil tanker this morning, but he doesn't think it will leave as planned on the next tide. Too windy. When empty it blows about too much. Patti

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Wow - and I only brought in the cat.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Victor, That could be more dangerous at times than the tanker. Hisssssssssss. Patti

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

c. sieberi Tricolor:

Thumbnail by David_Paul
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Another view.

c. sieberi Tricolor emerged a week later than c. sieberi Firefly which is planted right next to it.

Thumbnail by David_Paul

Nice!

Edited to say that I tried to post five times before this went through!!

This message was edited Mar 17, 2008 3:10 PM

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Beautiful David!

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Nice shots David. That first one really shows off the colors.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Very pretty, David.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

oh Pirl, I feel like doing just that!!!! ah, can't believe it... I am totally fooling around... I have no desire to finish a paper, all I can think is spring, and planting... yesterday all I did was to plan where each rose is going to be planted and also the veggies.... oh why am I in school... what a mess!

I remember in school and at work always doing best under pressure so let's hope it works well for you, too. Planning is always good. Then you're free to study.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Sue don't go and buy any... I can just cut a piece off ... they root easily in water... mine is SUPPOSED to be french pink.. but this is the first year I have had real buds on it... will soon find out

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

onewish - I forced some pussy willow stems this Winter and was surprised to see them root. Have you tried planting them that way?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

yes... but only last year... i will let you know if they come alive this year.... I found out the same way... the ones i forced last year grew huge roots... so when I trimmed some branches off after bloom i stuck them in soda bottles outside in the shade and all grew massive root systems... we had to cut the bottles off .... my neighbor planted a few in her yard

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

I found a crocus pushing out of the ground. It was in an area near the house where the snow cover was not as heavy and has melted!! Yea - spring is really coming to the north country!! Kassia - keep working hard. You won't be in school forever!! Eleanor

Congrats, Eleanor!

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Sounds like spring fever is really taking hold all over. No sign of bulbs yet except one lone daff pushing up leaves but even that has stopped for the recent chilly temps. If you have a damp area and stick in the pussy willows they will root if they are fresh cuttings.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Nothing here, but I still have a good amount of snow to melt yet.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

nothing pushing trhough.... I went out yesterday to see the peonies and NOTHING!!!!! I am in zone 0!!!! and I really fell like getting the blow dryer...

OK, Kassia. Time to relax and not panic. Here's what to look for with your peony so maybe you just need to brush away some leaves and you'll see spring beginning to happen.

Thumbnail by pirl
The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Oh Kassia! I know how you feel!
Here's a photo of my three-and-a-half foot tall foxglove. You almost need a microscope to see it!

Thumbnail by Candyce

Just last Saturday we couldn't see the top of the arbor vitae. And the squirrels just walked to the birdfeeders! What a difference a couple days of warmer temperatures has made!

Thumbnail by Candyce
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

You are not far from me Kassia and I still have frozen soil. The last couple of days with cold temps during the day as well as night sure isn't a big help in getting the defrost to get moving either. No sign of much of anything here so you are not alone. It sure could speed up a little though. I am getting very impatient.

So you see, then, Kassia. You have a lot of friends in the same 'zone'!!

Thumbnail by Candyce
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh thanks!!!! I was begining to think I am cursed because I can't think of finishing my papers for school... oh I see that you guys still have snow/ice....

I am afraid of uncovering anything and get another storm of some sorts and kill my plants... the ground is so frozen in some areas but some of the raised beds are not as hard... oh I feel so sorry for some minis... they look like they are dead! oh I want to cry!

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Don't give up on them yet. Most minis are as hardy and usually more hardy than some of their larger cousins. When the soil starts to warm enough things will get going and when the forsythia bloom and rose pruning gets done then they should really come back to life. Even if the top is frostbitten the roots can still send up fresh canes so don't despair just yet. It is hard to wait this time of year but when its time they know what to do.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

oh that's good to know... but I swear they look dead!

oh well I have to wait...

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I cluster of Crocus 'Cream Delight'.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper

Very pretty - nice shade.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Very nice indeed. I really like the color too.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Lovely Andy! (the crocus and you posting!!)

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I think our snow is now gone, and any additional won't stick around too long, so it shouldn't be long now!!

About ten hours to spring!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Great shot Andy..... and woo hoo to Victor!

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Quoting:
when the forsythia bloom and rose pruning gets done then they should really come back to life.

So is this--forsythia blooming-- when I prune my roses? (I'm still trying to figure out the subtleties of gardening in the NE.)

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Forsythia blooming signals a couple things in New England gardening, doesn't it? I seem to recall reading that somewhere, but I can't remember what, so I'd love to know what you are supposed to do when the Forsythia blooms, as well.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Beautiful crocus photo Andy. Happy to see you here!!

Yes, forsythia bloom time is a busy time in the garden. It's the time to put down the crabgrass control and get the roses cut back. When the beds are clean it's a good idea to put down slug control where it's needed to try and get the early slugs before they reproduce.

Happy spring to all!

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I usually prune roses and cut back butterfly bushes when the forsythia blooms. Mine are a week or three away still, except the ones I cut to force inside, they are just starting to open. :)

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Spring? OK, so is summer far behind? I thought I would be the first to start whining for the lilies.

I don't know about the Forsythia, but on Nantucket for years their was one particular scotch broom bush (they grow all over the island) on the road to Madekat (west end of Island) which was a sure signal to the old timers that the striped bass fish were running. Serious fisherman would monitor that one bush and then continue the drive out to the beach only if it was in bloom. Most of those old salts are gone and I am not sure with all the building which bush it is or if it has been bulldozed for a McMansion. Patti

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.