Spring Blooms!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

David_paul, very funny. But this is not. Dear Deer dug up a bed, for what ? They didn't seem to eat anything. And it is right by the front door! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! There goes that display for this year. The picture shows only a small part of the mess. DH will start spraying tomorrow. I am contemplating sleeping outside tonight with a gun. But I do have some new kids out today, more reticulated iris and crocus. Patti

This message was edited Mar 14, 2008 4:14 PM

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

What a bummer, Patti. Sorry to hear that. Sure it was deer?

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

bbrookrd...oh no! You worked so long last fall too. Other areas OK? You still have lots of bulbs which will come up, right?

From what you've posted about the deer population on Nantucket maybe you islanders should give up baskets and start developing a reputation for venison jerky. Nantucket baskets are too expensive anyways. Everyone could afford a slice of jerky.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Yep, Hoof prints all over it. I cleaned it up and replanted the torn up bulbs. Then I just put down a mess of junk over the area, wheel barrow, big crates, old doors and rakes until DH can spray in the morning. He is off getting some culture today listening to Schumann and Shostakovich in Boston. I stayed home to deal with my final tax print out and the Dear Deer mess. I had all the entry work done before my trip as planned, but wanted to wait until the last min, of course, to print it out and then send it off to the account for Monday. DH is done. All most done. I could fold the laundry and put it off for a couple more hours! Plus I have a plant order to finish from Gr. MT Trans. that would take me hours. Hate doing Taxes. Patti

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

One of my daylilies is gone!
One that pixie sent me. (Black Eye) It's just GONE. The marker is there. Next to a hole. WTH?!?

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Good one, David_Paul. But we already have plenty of Jerky people here in the summer, many sporting Nantucket baskets that are heavily laden with ivory do-da's these days and driving hummers.

Amy, weird. Do you have deer too? I found one day lily mass of tubers torn out today in the mess. That is the only thing in this area that they might have wanted to eat. But I have found other daylilies in the summer jerked out of the ground and then discarded (spit-back) a few feet away. Look around for the tubers. Good luck. I am moving all of the ones outside the deer fence to inside this spring. They beat me good.

Fortunately, most of the bulbs that rabbits and deer would mess with are in a part of the property that is deer fenced. I can't figure out what it was doing. No where else was touched. It is almost as if it were making a nest to sleep in. It did a little the night before in one spot and I thought it was a dog or a squirrel. But this morning I could see all the hoof prints clearly and in a much larger area. Very strange. I could see that it had pulled some bulbs up and then did a spit back as it didn't like what I planted there. I may leave the window open to night so if it (they) comes back, maybe the dogs will hear it and go nuts as they usually do. They failed last night. Patti

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

i live in the city of New Haven. i don't have deer. They'd probably be shot in a drive by if i did.
We have lots of squirrels, some groundhogs - though i haven't seen any this year, occasionally a rabbit or two, moles/voles that ate some of my bulbs last year from underground, leaving the foliage plugging neat little holes, and wild dogs - why we don't have more groundhogs and bunnies.
O, and college students - we are next to a commuter lot.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Rats? Two and four legged, I bet. Did it look dug up by a shovel or trowel? Then it is a 2 legged rat for sure. Patti

My money's on the students. Are they smoking daylilies these days?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

nice Daivd!... can't wait for mine... I can only see a few greens sticking up so far

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

I was driving down 6A, between Yarmouthport and Barnstable, and I saw this. I swear it wasn't there two days ago!

Thumbnail by CapeCodGardener

Wow - spectacular, Emily.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Now that is grand. How many thousand are in that one patch. I better get busy next fall. The fence could use some help, that is what I was first seeing until the I looked again. duh. Patti

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I bet that put a smile on your face Emily, what a wonderful sight!!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

That is beautiful. I wonder how long it too to achieve that?

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Yes, It did put a smile on my face and occasioned a quick command to my chauffeur-DH: "Pull over!! Quick! I have to get a photo!!"

There are some wonderful really old houses on 6A, with carpets of naturalized spring blooms showing up in their front lawns. Next, the daffs are going to be making their appearance in front of these houses' old stone walls, warmed by the sun's rays.

It's Spring! Tra-la!

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

David, regarding your crocus photo with the faux friends . . . that's what friends are faux! (I'm surprised Victor didn't pick up on this!)

Patti, my condolences on your lost bed - that's awful.

Amy said, "I don't have deer. They'd probably be shot in a drive by if I did." What a great line! Probably true, too, I bet.

Things are popping today with the sun.

Thumbnail by victorgardener

Columbine foliage.

Heather.

Hellebores starting to bloom!

Last.

Oops - somehow a few did not go through.

Another.

White one. (Can you not post photos without any text??)

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

ooooooohhhhhhhh Victor you are killing me.... my hellebores don't have buds yet... I'm so jealous!

:(

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

no you have to have text

You'll get there!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Victor, Great show. My big crocus are a ways away yet and I am very jealous. Plus your Hellebore are fabulous.

PrimroseSue, Not to worry, I tucked all the precious bulbs that they had dislodged and strewn about back into the bed and racked back of the piles of the dug up dirt. I think they didn't find much worth eating so maybe all is not lost. I am thinking they might have munched down some crocus. I put down all kinds of yard junk over the area to deter them from coming back. They did not show up last night. DH will start the spring spraying as soon as this rain front is over and the wind backs off.

Here are my latest new kids from yesterday Last year these reticulated Iris bloomed on March 27th, so I am early this year.

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Those irises are so pretty. I haven't had any since before the house fire - I really ought to get more.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I still have snow, I'm getting so jealous! Hopefully it will be melted enough soon to look for shoots.

One last, back-lit one.

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

Victor, you take such wonderful photos. Do you use a macro lense for your flower shots?

No signs of spring here yet.

Thank you Songs. I have a point and shoot - Sony H1, and just use the Macro setting. Hoping to get a dslr someday soon.

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

Wow. I have a dslr with macro lenses, but my pictures don't come out so nice! Must have something to do with the photographer...I think I need to read my manual.

Thanks.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Crocus, hellibore and iris oh my! Beautiful shots everyone. That pic of a carpet of crocus is just spectacular. Now that surely would bring spring to your heart. Victor those pics are so bright and cheerful and make me so jealous. I hope my r. iris come back this year but so far no sign of life here. These pics do help to keep the drab cold rain away a little.☺

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Victor my honey bought me a dslr for christmas... now if i can just figure all the buttons out

LOL

been using the automatic setting quite a bit since it's been so many years since i took a photography class

Wow - lucky you, Allison? Which one?

I like these reticulated iris. Have to get some. Are they comparable to crocus in bloom duration?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

olympus evolt 510

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1295

I bought the instructional dvd to help me along

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.