Spring Blooms!

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I think you're tops too Celeste.
You've demonstrated strength and determination, and what isn't great about that?

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

People who overcome their demons are very special. People who also take care of and help others are exceptional. You should be very proud of all your accomplishments. Congratulations.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Thank you all! I am very blessed to have all of you in my life!! Yesterday was my first day with out smoking too so I really needed that boost! I quit before for almost 2 years and then started up again.....I hated myself for my weakness so I have decided to try again. Now that Brian has had all his surgeries and is on the mend again I felt strong enough to tackle it. So, I am now smoke free and have made it through my first 24 hours and going for 48! I even got Brian to quit with me!!

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

Keep up the good work - you can do it!! Eleanor

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Celeste..good for you!!! Way to go. My closest friend has been down a similar path, so I understand. Isn't life wonderful with eyes wide open? As for the smoking..I've been smoke free for 8 years..my best tip is to change your routine. If you had breakfast in the kitchen with coffee and cigarette, move to the den and have coffee while watching the morning news. Also, what you spent on cigarettes throw in a jar instead. Buy yourself a gift of Daylilies in two months with the money you saved!

ngram...I don't remember the name of the crocus, but I got them from Brent and Becky and this is what they look like closed

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Great for both of you!! Don't give up. As someone who has lost so many close family members to smoking, I can't urge you strongly enough. I am losing another uncle right now.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Congratulations, Pixie, for all your self-control and determination to win every war!

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Good luck with the quitting smoking too. I am 1 yr and 8 months with no nicotine. It is very difficult and I tried many times to quit. This time I think it is conquered but it still enters my head every day. I used the gum and it was much easier to stay off cigs. It is good you have each other for support so when one feels weak the other can help to encourage to keep going. Good luck with your task.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Anita, they even look nice closed up, I will have to look for them. Never realized there were so many kinds.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the tips Anita and congrats yourself, 8 years is a long time!
Thanks Victor...I've known how you felt, we had this conversation in d-mail and I finally got Brian to agree. Around Christmas I told him I was quiting on the 25th of March as it seemed to be a good date for me. He could join me if he wanted but that was my date and I was sticking to it. After his last surgery in Jan. the Anesthesiologist came and told him he needed to quit or he would be on oxygen within the next 10-15 years from what he saw when he went down his throat. He asked me if I had paid him to say that...nope didn't have to. I guess it scared him enough to join me in quitting.

Thank you Pirl, this is one time where my stubbornness gets put to good use!!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks Ngam! I know how hard it is I went 20 month the first time!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Congrats, Pixie! Certainly a time worth celebrating. No one here could ever think badly of the kind and sweet Pixie we all love. Your courage just makes me think better of you.

That's great, Celeste. There are many options these days to help.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Celeste, you have my support also! my mom stoped smoking about 10 years ago and nver looked back! and when she did, my dad was still smoking... so noboby believed she was going to do it... when he died everyone said she was going to start smoking again but she did not... and she has been smoke free since!!! you can do it...

For me smoking was a way to take a break from whatever was bothering me... I stoped for 10 years and then smoked again for a month... oh I could not believe it... but since 94 I have not smoked and now I don't even remember I did... You can do it my dear friend! just one at a time!

and you are a great mom!

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Congratulations Celeste and Brian on your first day of not smoking!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Thank you......im antzy today so im playing with seeds.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

No doubt! I'd be rearranging the furniture by now.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Celeste, do you want to plant some seeds for me??? I can go an pick it up from you...I am looking for an excuse to travel to ME and see you and Brigitte.... this way I help you to keep you busy!!!??? I have tons of 4'oclocks to start... and no place to put them...

Cut back on the caffeine.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Kassia, you have no idea how many seeds I have...including 4 O'Clocks! I was sneaking packages to people, new members, someone just mentioned wanting more blue flowers and they had a package the next week. I was playing sneaky Pixie until I whittled my 3 boxs of seeds down to just one!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

ok... I tryed!!!! lol....

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Well I went out while the sun was out, it's clouded up and looks like rain again now, but I saw this and it just made my day. Honeysuckle 'Gold Flame'.

Thumbnail by ngam
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I just got one in the mail that I had ordered.... 'Arnold Red' Honeysuckle http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/17141/

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Celeste:
Allow me to chime in with the others. I have always thought you were one of the strongest DGers I have known. Now I know why. You are truly an inspiration. You have my respect and admiration, girl.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Hey, Victor ...
can we have #2 of this thread? My poor dial-up is panting with exertion!

Did it. Here we go:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/827487/

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

First crocus

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Dormant Cat

Thumbnail by ge1836
Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

ge, meet us at the continuation of this thread at the above link. That's a big cat!

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Erythronum deris-canis............. flowering now!!

Thumbnail by Mr_Crocosmia
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

very nice Mark!!

also Fritillaria Michailoski...............

Another Fritilaria...... this one is Hermonis ssp. amana

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Mr Crocosmia:
I'm new and that plant is a fave of mine.
painted it too

Thumbnail by ge1836

Hi ge1836

Wow, now that is pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think they started a new thread so we better go there.......... follow this link http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/827487/

Mark

I have a spring bloom - one single crocus!! Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

The back yard on the south side of the house is making progress with regard to the snow melting. In the garden near the house I have a Stella d'Oro day lily that is poking through the ground. There is no sign of life in the back garden of any of the day lilies that I planted last year. Someone please tell me it is way too early for them to be poking through the ground. Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb
Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Pretty! Eleanor, come to Spring Blooms - 2 next thread.

This is the north side of the house. Spring will never arrive on this side of the house - it's solid ice - all of it!! :-( Heard we were supposed to get 1-2 inches more in the next 24 hours!! :-( (that's more pouting!!) Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Looks just like my yard, Eleanor. And we even have the same color siding on the house. We could be twins. It is pretty much solid ice.

Hope you don't get any more snow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.