Spring Blooms!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Cool! I like the live preview feature. Olympus was the first to introduce that. I'm so used to looking at the monitor that i would find it awkward going back to looking through the lens. The one I want also has this feature. Have fun!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

thanks.... not easy when i been using a point and shoot for so many years... the screen is very nice.... better than my last camera

Yes, I'm sure the transition takes a while. It will be worth it though!

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

bbrookrd....do reticulated Iris naturalize in lawns well? I planted 20 this fall and noticed one coming up this afternoon. Like to mix more of them in with the crocus next year.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

David_Paul, I have them blooming only in beds, but the ones that I have had for more then a year have been increasing, albeit slowly. It will take a few years to know for sure. I would ask over in the iris forum. I am a mad planter with not much knowledge. Patti

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

I'm so jealous! We still have lots of snow on the ground and high banks. The path out to the bird feeder that DH snowblowed is showing grass though!! Eleanor

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

It's snowing here right now.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

David_Paul,

Yes they do, I have them popping up in the most unexpected places. After they are done blooming they grow really long leaves. If you want them to stay naturalized you won't be able to mow the grass until the leaves stop growing.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

oh I have nothing like that coming up yet! sometimes I think I am in zone 3!!!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

amazing pics Victor. I especially like the first heleborus. That would look incredible blown up.

Thanks, Anita. How long do the RI bloom??

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

We still have snow and ice, too. So don't feel bad.

I know the blossoms and blooms will arrive eventually. I just have to have, what's that called, patience???????

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

And after theirs are all gone, we will have ours, right Candyce?

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Thanks pollyk! This is the first time I grew any iris. Nice plant! As I won't mow until late May, think I'll get lots of them for next year.

This is from a Van Engelen Iris reticulata mixture:

Thumbnail by David_Paul
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Another view:

Thumbnail by David_Paul

Beautiful shade, David. Please let me know how long it lasts.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

Wow! Both of my firewitch dianthuses have buds on them!!!!! My 1st buds.
Lots more green shoots popping up all over too - including (finally) some of the snow crocuses. They didn't get the memo about how they're supposed to be 1st, i guess. Lots of green leaves on my boring coreopsis. Lots of green leaflets on daylilies. Geen leaves on the purple asters. LOTS of baby liriopes. Dave, you said you want some, right?
It looks like 2 of my annual dianthuses are still alive... is this possible? Should i not have pulled the 4 or 5 others in the fall? It's funny, i had one on each side of a bench, one is alive, the other just dead twigs. Hmmm.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Victor, I had Iris reticulata since last year. If I remember right, they were spectacular, but brief.

Thumbnail by Sofonisba

Not as long-lasting as crocus?

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Trying to remember... I don't think so. Patti, do you know?

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

OK Victor, I can say that some new ones that I planted in the fall (30 for 7.45 Iris Reticulata 'Purple Gem') began blooming by March 2nd as that is when DH returned from FL trip and saw them up. They are still in bloom today in the new area along the new stream. I have some other new ones out today ('Harmony') , but no pictures yet, as I have taken to bed with this raw weather, body hates this kind of weather. Fingers still work. So I will monitor their bloom length for you. The other one I posted was Iris reticulata 'Clairette' (12.00 for 50) and it was planted in the fall of 05, so this is the second year. I will do a head count tomorrow. I still have several others to bloom yet. ('Spring Time', 'Natascha', 'Marquerite' 'Pauline' 'Pixie' 'J.S. Dijt' and 'Cantab' and a hundred no names Here is 'Purple gem' on Friday.

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

Thanks Patti - stay warm!

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

someone say something nice about my firewitch buds!
i am a very stressed woman. i need a pat on the head.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Amy, None of my Dianthus have buds yet. I will shout for you. Patti

Calvert City, KY(Zone 7a)

OH, great photos. Interesting that as far south as I am, we are in the same zone for blooms, just not for snow. I have the same blooms as you now, but have had only a dusting of snow. Anyway, it is so good to see SPRING!!! It isn't dark here yet, and I should get out with my camera, but geesh I don't want to put on shoes and the ground is wet...so maybe tomorrow.
Great show, thanks.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

thank you, patti.
i feel noticed.
: )

Calvert City, KY(Zone 7a)

Oops, Amy...I got caught up looking at photos....sorry...HoooRaaaay!!!! for you.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Amy, congratulations on your firewitch buds!!!!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

yeah signs of life... time for spring cleaning.... yippee!!!!!!

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

pussy willow showing off

Thumbnail by onewish1

Yay!!!

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Oh now that's a spring pic for sure, love those little pussy willows.

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Oh, Allison, pussy willows! That's my "tree" goal this year. Had one at my childhood home and do miss them.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

oh I am in zone 0... no signs yet... just inside the garage the roses are waking up.... oh I am so jealous!!!!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

All your roses are building up the energy to bloom their little hearts out for you, Kassia. No need to feel jealous. Yours will be all the more precious when their time comes.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Pirl... it's so nice outside today... I just hope it melts the rest of the snow. I think my street is the only one that still has snow in Framingham!!!!

Get out the hair dryer and do what has to be done!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I did a quick walk around and took a few pictures, but I was being blown away. Back inside. Danfordiae iris up and about to open. But it is not raining or snowing. Patti

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

It is super windy today, huh?

Gusts from the north at 33 MPH. Good day to start cleaning up, downstairs, in prepration for seed starting though I have already started 36 dahlias and more from cuttings.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.