February Daily Weather - Spring is around the corner!

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Good Morning Everyone!

Sidney asked me to start a new thread for February. We don't know what Punxsutawney Phil will predict on Ground Hog Day Feb 2. An early Spring or 6 more weeks of Winter? We'll find out tomorrow!

Everyone is welcome to stop by often and tell us your about weather.

60.4 °F / 15.8 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 84%
Dew Point: 56 °F / 13 °C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3.2 km/h / 0.9 m/s from the SSE
Wind Gust: 7.8 mph / 12.6 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 6000 ft / 1828 m
Mostly Cloudy 13000 ft / 3962 m
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 20 ft / 6 m

Lake Wind Advisory in effect from 8 am this morning to 4 PM EST this afternoon...

Today
Mostly cloudy with showers likely and isolated thunderstorms in the morning. Then partly cloudy with a slight chance of showers in the afternoon. Breezy. High 69. Southwest winds 15 mph with gusts to 30 mph shifting to the west in the afternoon. Chance of rain 60 percent.

Sounds like Spring to me!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

39° (Wind Chill 34°) Raining

The freeze line is 60 miles north of us.
I'm doubting we see any 'Winter' out of this.

The police were called for an 'unresponsive' drive parked outside their house.
That means a passed out drunk.
Checked out, cuffed and arrested....

Our weather appears to be in a late February pattern now...

Ric

(Zone 5a)

Good morning everyone!

Sorry I've been MIA so long - I've just been busy trying to keep up with life! lol Got cought up in seed catalogs and seed starting along with the normal duties of taking care of house and kids :-) We were all feeling a bit under the weather last week but everyone's feeling better this week.

Hildur Eva turned 5 on Jan 14th. She was a bit surprised by the fact that she hadn't grown noticably overnight. She asked me "Mom, are you sure I'm 5 now?" She thought she'd be bigger. lol

It started snowing on Jan 14th and we've had snow on the ground since then, despite two hefty rain storms. There's been quite a bit of snow to clear off the drive way - so I've been a bit busy with that too.

Today the skies are clear, the sun is out, it's fairly calm and FREEZING!!!! 14°F. That's news material since we don't see temps like that every year. lol The old norse month of Thorri started last Friday and it's certainly living up to it's name as the coldest month of the year this time! lol The time of "spoiled food" feasts otherwise known as Thorrablót is upon us ...... here's a link to last year's post about that delightful tradition (I'm not a fan but DH is .... I think it's a male thing ...... lol) http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=3099264

Joey - so glad that JW is on the mend. That RS virus is a nasty one - it's been going around here too.

Great photos everyone! I'm so hopelessly behind that I don't have time to get caught up - it would take me the rest of the day ..... and unfortunately I don't have the time ...... This is the second time writing this post since I lost the first one! ARRRGHH I so hate it when that happens.

I'm contemplating whether I should go swimming today ...... 14°F does seem a bit nippy. On the other hand I really do need the exercise .......

This cloudy cought my eye this morning when I was putting out food for the birds ....... I've been a bit busy with that too ..... all these little things seem to add up to no computer time ..... I'll try to keep up ;-) lol

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Welcome back, Rann! LOL about Hildur Eva. I can't believe you're even thinking about swimming when it's 14° out! I know the water is heated, but still... brrrrrr! The picture is lovely. :-)

Thanks for starting the new thread, Sharon!

I'm glad the emergency wasn't anything awful, Ric.

Juri, bananas do indeed grow here. They very rarely fruit, at least without some significant care, because we do get under freezing a couple of times per year and bananas don't like that. If they can go three or four years in a row without freeze damage, they fruit. So if you want fruit, you plant them in a sheltered location and wrap the trunks in the winter when it is going to get cold. Otherwise, if you don't care about the fruit and you just want the plant for the tropical look, they are easy - you prune them hard every spring below the mushy freeze line on their trunk and let them grow back. They get 8-12+ feet tall easily in one season. We don't need to haul them inside in the winter.

We had another chilly front go through yesterday (hence the tornado watch.) We could hear thunder in the distance, but it didn't actually storm here. We did get a little rain, but nothing to write home about. It will be in the low 60s this afternoon.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CST (49 min ago)
Temperature 34 °F 1 °C
Dew Point 27 °F -3 °C
Humidity 75%
Pressure 30.34 in 1027.3 mb
Wind Speed Calm Calm
Wind Dir - -
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 33.1°F / 0.6°C

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! :D We have 1/2" of frozen rain! But it is already warming up, so I don't think it will get much worse.
At Dublin...
Cloudy: 32°F
Feels like: 26°F
Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 30°
Humidity: 93%
Visibility: 4 miles
Wind: 7 mph E
Sunrise: 7:26 AM
Sunset: 5:47 PM

Ric, Glad this "stuff" missed ya! So ... you had a "drunk" outside. Well thank goodness he had the sanity to pull over!
Rann, Glad to have you back! :D Sounds as if you have been very busy! But you have been sorely missed! Those are some Gorgoeus wavy clouds! :-O And LOL on the "guy thing", but I think that males in this country would turn up their noses....on the other hand, if one is starving...who knows what you would eat! :D
Dyson! There you are! How's it going?
Sharon, Thanks for the new thread...is Sidney having puter difficulty? And I think that Phil will see his shadow! (according to our channel 6 weather team). :D And LOL at Prissy! :D I can hear the snorting! :D
Kelli, That is some kind o contrast there in the lake & stream! It is really nice to see things flowing w/ water! :D I feel sure that it tickled you, since that is where you like to hike. :D Thanks for sharing! :D And the Aloe is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen! Wow!

The answer to the trivia is...C
Ancient Romans noticed the year's hottest days coincided with the Dog Star being near the Sun in the sky.

Todays trivia...
Occasionally you can see a vertical ray of light above a rising or setting Sun. This called a:
a) Sun spot
b) Sun dog
c) Sun pillar
d) Solar halo

Have a Great Day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

morning everyone!

i will guess C this time LOL

thanks for the new thread!

se-eds, that wasn't psychology you used, that sounded like a good o'l threat of common sense LOL

baby in a better mood, time will tell...

tf

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm guessing B, Joey. :-)

(Zone 3b)

-7° 8:30 and there's enough light out to see ~~ big gains from here on out.
Today
Mostly sunny. Areas of low clouds and fog in the morning near the Knik river. Highs zero to 10 above. Light winds.
Thanks for the new thread, MySharona. W/or w/out the groundhog there's 6 more weeks of winter in Alaska:)) We're going to the ice sculpture festival in March.
Little winter will be here come June; (just a silly phrase to describe summer, My Sharona:)) Love the photo.
Hi Rann~ and belated birthday wishes to Hildur Eva. Did you go swimming? Very pretty sky going on.
music2keep~ sun pillar~ glad to see the freezing rain won't last long.What mess to drive in. Love the snowcovered trees.
Ric~glad all's well~the weather change from day to day makes it worthwhile to keep extra seasonal clothing in the car.
TF~so nice to see that baby is doing better; eveyone in the family, too?
se-eds~how nice to have the help; and to fix a wonderful meal is always wonderful, for both the giver and reciever.
Marylynn~interesting to read about the banana plant.
Jet streak on the 18th. Not a frequent sight.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Ric – So glad nothing serious happened at your neighbor’s house.
Rann – Welcome back! We missed you! I had to laugh about Hildur Eva – she’s so cute – and kids say the funniest things! 14* does seem a little nippy for swimming – LOL!! Very pretty cloud – love the colors and texture. Glad y’all are feeling better as well.
Joey – Yes, Sidney is having some computer problems. I think Phil will see his shadow too. I’m going with C on the trivia too. Look at all that snow! Wooo Hoooo! Had any snowball fights lately?

69.3 °F / 20 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 52%
Dew Point: 54 °F / 12 °C
Wind: 5.0 mph / 8 km/hfrom the WSW
Wind Gust: 10.1 mph / 16 km/h
Pressure: 30.12 in / 1019.9 hPa (Rising)
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 1900 ft / 579 m
Mostly Cloudy 3000 ft / 914 m
Mostly Cloudy 7500 ft / 2286 m
(Above Ground Level)

More clouds this morning

Thumbnail by MySharona
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Got a new dog - she is mad at me cause I will not let her into the puter/office/junk room.

She will get over it.

39°(F), stopped raining. Still ice on the trees.

(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the warm welcome you guys:-)

Marylyn and Sharon - thanks. She's still wondering about it - she said to me today that she still felt like she was 4 ....... she found it very puzzling ..... lol

Joey - I guess that awful food does serve as a reminder of what kept people alive up here through the past centuries ...... I just can't eat the stuff. lol (Well not all of it is bad - the dried fish and smoked lamb are good ..... it's just the "tangy" stuff I can't eat) As for the male thing ...... I think the shark (which reaks of ammonia) is the "coolest" thing to eat. The preschools always have thorrafeasts for the kids - shark and all ....... Hildur Eva's thoughts on the shark were "I like it but it smells so bad I couldn't eat it" ...... I think that about sums it up. lol

Kiska - thanks for the birthday wish for Hildur Eva :-) Same to your grandson - the balloon filled room was very neat! :-) Yes I did go swimming and was very glad I did ...... it was too cold for the school swimming so all the lanes were free :-) It wasn't as bad as I'd thought since it was pretty calm. They had to leave a stream of warm water running to keep an ice free path out to the pool ...... the rest was too slippery to walk on ;-)

An update on the "big freeze" - it's down to 7°F right now ...... it's been years since it's gotten this cold here. Boy am I glad I wrapped the roses up this fall ........ I had to mend a few of the shelters on Monday after a storm on Sunday had beaten them up a bit. The only thing I'm a bit worried about is my Japanese Maple. Anyone know how much cold they can take?

We saw some Northern Lights tonight when we were coming home - I decided to get the camera out and try to get a photo ........ here's what I got :-) I had a bit of trouble since the auto focus wouldn't work (probably the cold) so I had to use the manual focus.

Have a good night everyone!

Rann

This message was edited Feb 2, 2008 12:14 AM

Thumbnail by rannveig

Dyson - What kind of dog is she? What is her name? Post a picture please!

59.5 °F / 15.3 °C
Clear
Humidity: 25%
Dew Point: 24 °F / -5 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1020.9 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Tonight
Clear and colder. Low 39. North winds becoming light.

Our sky this morning

Thumbnail by MySharona

We cross posted....
Rann - WOW!!! Great picture! Sorry clueless about the japanese maple.

(Zone 5a)

Sharon - beautiful sky :-) Thanks - I was really happy with how they turned out :-) I looked up the Japanese maple in plant files - it's should be able to take -10°F so it should be ok .....

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Rann: Wow! I've never seen the nothern lights. Thanks so much for getting the photo.
Joey: Geussing C on the trivia, and I am SO hoping Phil keeps his eyes closed! LOL.,
Sharon - our clouds looked just like yours this morning.
Kiska - Is that jet streak an unusual sight because there aren't many jets or because you don't get the contrails for some reason (That's probably a real dumb question.) ;>

Got up to 62 today, down to mid 30s tonight, but expectig upper 60s tomorrow! Yay. Had a good rain overnight, too.
Deb

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Welcome back, Rann! We missed you. Awesome photo of the Northern Lights and also the other photo. That was so cute what Hildur Eva said about being 5! ☺☺☺
Lucky you, Sharon---69º!! It does sound like Spring!! Pretty morning sky.
and you, too, Deb, at 62º. We got up into the mid 50's at least but I don't think it made it into the 60's. Still, it was a beautiful day.
I loved the photos of the cardinals on the previous thread. We have several pair of cardinals that come to our feeder, too.

Joey, I am guessing B on the trivia.

TF, hope the little one is feeling better for his sake and yours.

Have a good evening, all!!

(Zone 3b)

minus 6° 4pm; getting ready to take gd to her hockey game.
Tonight
Partly cloudy. Areas of fog after midnight.
Lows 5 to 15 below. Light winds
rann ~ great pic of the northern lights; glad you enjoyed the swim, too.
Deb~ Anchorage airport is extremely busy and is air-crossroads to the world (over the top; or across to Asia), so I think most jets are low, coming in to land, or just taking off at Anchorage, and perhaps that has something to do w/lack of contrails. The airport is only 50 miles from here.
MySharona~very pretty; looks to be getting a bit cool, too.
marsue~sounds faily nice there.
DD @ hockey game minus 10°f
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Sharon, thanks for the new thread!

Marylyn, it was very interesting to find out about banana growing in your state! Thank you!
I've seen banana at many gardens in Sochi. I noticied some small fruit on one of those once in August. And, actually, this January, I've seen the banana plant about 12ft over there, but it was not that much picturesque.

Rann, nice to see you back! Thanks for the wonderfull picture of Aurora Borealis! I'm really surprised you have it in Iceland! I do vividly recollect my Mom having said to me, that we were going to celebrate my 5-th birthday party. I thought then: "Oh wow, now I'm really grown up!" Lol.

Ric, are you joking!? Did you drink and drive!?

Deb, I've never seen the nothern lights too, though I live in Russia. Lol.

We have:

31F tonight, it's 4:41a.m.

It was snowing at 2:30, when I made the pic. But the snow stopped by now.

Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge

Kiska, we crossposted, that's a beautifull snowy day in AK. Do people play hokkey on that rink, or do you skate there too?

That's a Kazan cathedral in SPb on my pic.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

It was kinda nice out today. Got above freezing. I was joking around at work saying we needed to break out the tank tops and shorts. lol

Currently: 30°F Partly Cloudy
Currently: -1°C Partly Cloudy
Wind: Southeast at 9 MPH
Humidity: 80%
Dewpoint: 25°F
Barometer: 29.92 inches and
Wind Chill: 22°F
Wind: Southeast at 14 KPH
Humidity: 80%
Dewpoint: -3°C
Barometer: 1013 millibars and
Wind Chill: -5° C
Sunrise: 7:25 am
Sunset: 5:40 pm

Pep, cool joke!!! It's good for health reasons! At least, I guess, some people, which I have seen on the bicycles here in winter might think.Lol.

One of the churches here.

I put the camera on the pavement for better focus. I left the tripod at home.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Beautiful church, G!

Great pics Juri!!

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I am glad we got the roof fixed yesterday when temps were almost in the 40's. We got a half inch of ice overnight. Today the temps got up to around 32 degrees by noon time, but it poured and rained all day. In a way this is good, as we had very minimal precipitation in January. It all sunk into the ground somehow.

Dyson, I am glad to hear you got a dog. Mine died last spring and I am thinking we need another one. It probably wont be as intelligent as my mini poodle puppy but I am thinking of a mini fox terrier. I would really want a border collie but we are not set up for one and we are too old to give it the exercise it needs. I had one as a child and they are sweet tempered intelligent dogs. I do not want a dumb dog. LOL

We are scheduled for a dry and sunny day tomorrow. Maybe I will make that trip to Harrisburg, I've been putting off for a week or more. I need to get out of the house, if you know what I mean.

Dumb dogs are funny though! lol. You tell them to sit, they stand. You tell them to be quiet the yap some more. lol.

Seeds, my american friend's family had poodles three times! Those are agile and very affectionate dogs. Tender, just like kids!

SPb tonight. The Old Europe.

That road looks better than the roads around here do this season when it snows. lol. I'll have to tell my coworkers that Russia takes better care of their roads. They will get a kick out of that. lol

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Seeds: I'm so sorry you lost your dog. If you are looking for smart and good-natured breed, I recommend a Westie (West Highland Terrier) as another possibility. They are energetic, but one walk a day does it for pretty well for our Gus.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Pep, it was around 3:00 a.m. Lol.

Still....

Deb, I'll show that pic to that family, they lost their last poodle last year, when he ran across the road chasing the young dog. I real like the pic of that dog. What breed do you keep? My favorite is Alsatian dog. But my brother prefers Southern
shepherd. Here is the pic of his dog.

Pep, still and all Lol.

LOL Juri.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

too cool, a weather report from Iceland with a cold spell!!!

we are surviving here. hope to get some sleep soon after the poor guy took a VERY late nap. otherwise guess it's late night tv or pc LOL

those northern lights werer just beautiful!

(Zone 3b)

Palmer, AK
Palmer Weather: -17.2 °F
Just got home from taking the 5 year old G-D to hockey, at least it was indoors:) The rest of the family has traveled to Homer, Alaska, for a high school hockey tournament. It's about 400 miles from here.
After her hockey game, we stopped at Dairy Queen for ice cream....
KG~the rink pic is a hockey rink at a town about 150 miles from here. The high school team was there for a tourney. I don't skate but do fall:)
I love the photos of your city ~ very beautiful.
Deb~the photo of Gus is so sweet; does he know he lives with Diva Bonnie?
good night~~nearly 9pm here and it's tomorrow for some of my DG friends...
Kiska

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

Kiska - your 9 pm is 6 am here! :-)

It will be another sunny and calm day. It's very cold this morning - still around 7 - 12 °F, last night's low was 5°F. It hasn't gotten this cold here in years and there isn't enough hot water to go around to heat the houses. My mom just called and they're in the cold - there's only a trinkling of hot water at her house. The pools have closed to save water, so I guess I won't be going swimming today ..... Fortunately for us - we have pleanty of heat. The pipeline to Hafnarfjörður isn't big enough to carry enough water when it's in such a high demand and there's not enough pressure in the system. Neighborhoods that are higher up aren't getting enough water. Maybe they weren't prepared for the fact that it still could get this cold here ....... or didn't factor in the effect of new neighborhoods. Somebody hasn't been doing their job at least ...... Fortunately it's supposed to warm up tomorrow :-)
Thanks for your compliments on the norther lights photo ....... I hope I'll see more of them so I can get more photos ....... it would be cool to get a photo away from the street lights. For some reason they've been a rare sight lately.

Debi - Gus is so adorably cute :-) Love that photo :-)

TF - I hope your little one will be feeling better and you get some sleep :-) I know, Iceland in a cold spell must be a hoot! lol It's just not supposed to get this cold here ...... we have a maritime climate for goodness sakes! lol Just wet and coooooool, not fridgid!lol OK enough complaining we can hold out for one more day ;-)

KG - beautiful photos :-) There are some beautiful buildings over there :-)

Here's a snow photo from a while back - Jan 17th.

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Juri – Thanks for the snow pics! The Kazan Cathedral has quite a history. I remember it being closed for a long time then reopened in the early 1990’s. It was turned into a museum at one point. It’s a gorgeous building. Not a lot of people out at night, don’t blame them in the cold though!
Pepper – Nothing like some nice sultry weather to break out the summer gear!
Se_eds – I get tired of being indoors too. Feel like a caged lion, get grumpy and fussy even if I’m ill I can’t stand it. Enjoy the trip into town!
Deb- Sir Gus! He’s such a handsome man!
Kiska - I fall too! LOL!
TF - Hope you little one feels better soon.
Rann- Another gorgeous picture!

http://www.groundhog.org/prediction/

You'll have to see for yourself! I'm not telling!

45.5 °F / 7 °C
Clear
Humidity: 84%
Dew Point: 38 °F / 3 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.30 in / 1026.0 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Sunny. High 65. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Local version of the groundhog! Which reminds me I need to get that tire swing down this weekend.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.