February Daily Weather - Spring is around the corner!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Lots of rain today. Thunderstorms this morning. it rained cats and dogs all day and caused some flooding in a few of our buildings. It has been a messy and exhausting day.

Temps were in high 30s most of the day and are slowing going back to below freezing.

Supposed to get freezing rain tonight then snow. Have heard anywhere from an inch to 8 inches for here. And that was in the last few hours. Will see in the morning.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Ric, are you a first responder for your town?

Oh Marsue, not everyone escapes. Such a sad thing. I'm so sorry for them. I'm so glad you're ok!

Pepper, we're in the 7'' to 10'' range, but I'll believe the 10 when it's on the ground.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

We were in the 3-5 last night and this morning. Then at 4 it was 6-8 range. At 5 and on a different channel it was maybe 3-5, then at 6 it was 1 maybe 2 inches. They have no clue. lol

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

No Billy.
I was going to school at Wright State, just west of Xenia.
Two people in my class were EMT's at the base.
I had my construction truck and took them up.
As I had welding experience and my tanks on the truck I stayed to help w/ rescue.
Got deputized and everything.

Tornados here are just a fact of nature.
Rare but not unexpected and always planned for......

Sue I have Family in Pea Ridge but it appears they just got high winds.
Hope tomorrow's sun up doesn't show any more fatalities but.....

Ric

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pepper, ROTFL!!!

Ric, that's impressive! I'm glad you could be so much help.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Ric, Pea Ridge is in the far northwest corner of the state. I don't believe there were any tornadoes up there, although straight line winds can certainly do damage. So far there are 5 confirmed fatalities in the state. There is widespread damage over a large area of the state. Reports are saying there were 4 confirmed tornadoes on the ground in various areas.
One of the fatalities occured in Clinton and the tornado there evidently passed within 1/4 --1/2 mile of my MIL's house. We will be driving up to Clinton in the morning to get my MIL. She is without power, everybody up there is. The weather is turning colder. She is 81 and she has been ill for several months and is just now starting to get better. We certainly don't want this to set her back. We are just thankful that she is okay and there is apparently no damage to her house. We couldn't go up there tonight because we couldn't have gotten through if we tried--too many trees down across roads.
Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for all in the areas affected by the storms tonight.

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

It's snowing this morning, 26°F and fairly calm, about 7mph breeze.

Kiska - I'm so sorry about Holly, I know that empty lap feeling too. I know she will be greatly missed (((Hugs))) Love the moose stalking photo and the hot water "geyser" on your deck is fantastic :-)

Marsue - How terrible about the storm. Sounds just awful. Glad you and your MIL are OK.

Sharon - a year ago I'd never even concidered going swimming in such cold weather ...... now I'm just addicted ;-) lol About the apartments you asked about earlier - sorry I forgot to answer. They're retirement homes - the big building is a nursing home.

Thanks Joey and Sally for the birthday wishes :-)

Today is Ash Wednesday and that's the day kids here get to put on costumes and sing for candy treats. Selma has school until 11 am but it's mostly fun and not much studying today ;-)

Here's a sunset photo from January 20th - the day is getting noticably longer now - it's pretty light out by 9:30 and still dim light at 6 pm - what a difference a few more hours of daylight can do! :-) Sunrise today is 9:54 and sunset at 5:29 pm.

Hope you all have a great day and that the worst of the storms have passed.

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Kiska – Gorgeous sunset! {{{Hugs to you}}}
Sally – It is a Kalachoe. Seems they bloom every 2-3 months. LOL! Mulch is good!
Ric – I agree. It’s way too warm…we’re 20* warmer than we should be. The bad stuff is coming. Stay safe!
Marsue – Our prayers are being sent. So glad you and yours are safe.
Pepper – How much snow did you get?
Sally – And - how much snow did you get?!
Ric – It takes a special person to help in those conditions. SO can we call you Deputy Dawg now?! LOL!
Marsue – Be careful on the road. Let us know when you return.
Rann – Beautiful sunset too! I missed a pretty one last night. Sounds like a fun day for the girls!

62.1 °F / 16 °C
Clear
Humidity: 93%
Dew Point: 60 °F / 16 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Elevation: 20 ft / 6 m

Lake Wind Advisory in effect from 10 am this morning to 7 PM EST this evening...

Today
Windy. Partly cloudy. High 82. Southwest winds 15 mph with gusts to 30 mph.

I think we've completely skipped over Spring into Summer this week.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Deputy Dawg LOL!

Sue I'm glad you MIL is OK.
I hope she keeps on her road to health.

57° at 6 AM ......
We were under a Tornado Watch breifly last night.
Then everything fizzled out here w/ just some heavy rains.
Flood Watch is canceled as are the single digit temps for the weekend.

STAY SAFE All!!
Ric

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Mornin'! :D We have a temp of 59° - very cloudy, waiting on the rain...The weather folks say that the storms are "fizzling"....Yeah! Nothing like a good set of mountains to break it up.
At Dublin...
Clear: 57°F (I don't know where they get this! Maybe the clouds haven't worked their way that far east yet)
Feels like: 57°F
Barometer: 29.8 in
Dewpoint: 54°
Humidity: 88%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 5 mph SW
Sunrise: 7:22 AM
Sunset: 5:52 PM

Marsue, I hope everything is Ok for you this morning. My sympathy goes out to those that are lost & those that have lost. :( So thankful that your MIL is all right!
Well, Ric! (Deputy Dawg!) I remember that being a really bad tornado & have no doubt that you still dream about it! I know I would! DD is a first responder & some of her experiences (none of which she is supposed to talk about) are so sad! (She has to tell some one! and am glad I'm there for her)
Rann, you're really getting the snow! I do hope the geothermal heat "hangs tough"! What a beautiful sunset! :D
Sharon? is that Lady Magaret? Wow! You have gone straight to summer! :-O
Kiska! Magnificent! shots of the volcano & the "freeze trick"! :D Frank did a fine job! And Love the sunset! :D (I've saved them all) :D
Where is Dyson? If you show up...I expect you to get the trivia answer for the day! ;)

The answer to the trivia is...A
In May 2003, 516 tornadoes were confirmed, crushing the old record of 399 set in 1992.

Today's trivia is...(Ric...I'm expecting you to get this one!)
During a ferocious storm in November of 1975, the Edmund Fitzgerald sank on which Great Lake?
a) Erie
b) Ontario
c) Huron
d) Superior

Have a Great Day All! & Stay Safe!
Joey

(is this a look of surprise?)

Thumbnail by music2keep
Greensboro, AL

Memphis got hit pretty hard also Oxford MS I understand there are several fatalities in MS. Right now I am getting some much needed rain for our lakes in this area are very low. Temp is 61 right now. Winds are calm but the weather man has been talking none stop for the past 6 hours. I am located about 90 miles south of Birmingham so most of the rough stuff went north of me. Of course it is not over yet.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Surprisingly bright, overcast sky w/high clouds 65.7°(F) calm (for now) have had several good "soaker's" the last couple of nights and I will check the gauge when I go out.

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 64%
Wind: 210° (SSW) at 7mph
Gusts: 0mph
Pressure: 29.8in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 44°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 74°F
Dew Point: 52°
Visibility: 2.5mi
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 64°
Wind Chill: 64°
6hr Precip: in
6hr Low Temp: 57°F
6hr High Temp: 67°F

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good morning! I'm so glad you all are ok. I'm glad your MIL made it through the storm safely, Marilyn. Please be careful going to get her!

Our chilly front went through right on schedule. I hear it is supposed to be in Florida tomorrow, just in time to possibly postpone the shuttle launch again. Our highs are going to bed in the low 60s, so we have nothing to complain about. :-) It looks like we are going to have several days in a row with no rain, which will be great! The weeds are taking over the garden and I haven't been able to get in there. Hopefully this weekend.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CST (54 min ago)
Temperature 41 °F 5 °C
Dew Point 30 °F -1 °C
Humidity 65%
Pressure 30.15 in 1021 mb
Wind Speed 13 MPH
G 21 11 kts
G 18
Wind Dir NNW 330°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 42.1°F / 5.6°C

Iberia, MO(Zone 5b)

Good morning everyone! I hope everyone is safe this morning. We have 32 windy and more rain on the way with maybe alittle snow. This kind of day makes me wonder if a little snow may turn into alot. When I went home yesterday and turned down my drive it was like a river-so I got a shovel and cut some ditches for the runoff, my 3 dogs came with me the two youngest ones a huge lab mix and the younger one is amix of some kind decided to protect me from the floating bubbles. They would attack the bubbles as they floated down the drive. Before it was all over we just decided to play in the water it was cold but I remembered doing the same thing when I was a little girl. This morning the driv looks much better. We got about 2 inches of rain in about an hour and half. Our ground is already boggy from the thaw over the weekend, so we had lots of runoff. Everyone stay safe.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

i owuld have guessed June 1992 on the trivia, because that is the month a tornado wiped out a large part of Fritch and surroudnign areas, it was a half mile wide F-4!

marsue, thank you for letting us kno about the terrible torando and deaths ;-(

kiska, sorry for you about your precious kitty. it was a hard thing for you to let her go!

we are gradually erecovering here, except for me, hopefully this will be my worst day then i'll start getting better. at least i was well enough to check out this thread today LOL. loved the volcano the other day!

wishing wonderfully warm weather for all!
tf

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks, all, for your concern for my MIL. The power has been restored to my MIL's house this morning, so we don't have to go get her and bring her to our house. DH is on his way up there as I type, however, just to make sure everything is okay around her house and that the roof is okay, too. The tornado passed very close to her--she said she could hear it. The boat factory that was destroyed in Clinton is only about 1/2 mile from her house "as the crow flies".

Joey, I am guessing "C" for the trivia. JW is cute as ever--love that look on his face!! LOL

Great sunset pic, kiska.

Sharon, I love your Lady Margaret.

clerkie, it sounds like you and the dogs had a good time chasing those bubbles! You certainly got a lot of rain in a short period of time.

Deb, I think I should have waited until the first of March to start my seeds in the mini-greenhouse. I never dreamed they would germinate and grow so fast. Now I am wondering what I am going to do with them until I can plant them outside. They are fast outgrowing their little peat pots. This is turning into more work than I bargained for!! LOL

I just checked the thermometer on our back porch. It is reading 36ºF. It is pretty windy out, too. Yesterday at this time we were in the mid-60's. Quite a change!!!

I need some pretty flowers to look at!! I'll go find a picture of my favorite rose, Velvet Toreador. I may have posted it before in a previous thread but I never get tired of looking at it. I hope you folks don't either. LOL

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Get well soon, TF!!

(Zone 5a)

marsue - how could we possibly ever tire of looking at that gorgeous rose! lol

Marylyn - I guess there's an upside to a cold winter after all ...... no weeding until May at least ;-) lol

Joey - yes we've got plenty of snow. According to the forecast it'll probably most be gone by the weekend since there's a rain storm scheduled for Friday. The heat's back on since the temperatures are back to normal - but there was a record in hot water usage on Saturday when we were in the deep freeze ;-) What a cute photo of JW :-)

Sharon - yes it's been a fun filled day for the girls. I dropped Selma and her friend off at the shopping center down town after lunch and they were there singing for candy and checking out the entertainment while I was at the pool. They came home with a bagful of candy and now they're cosy watching a movie.

The weather turned out to be pretty great for the kids although a bit cold maybe, it's around 32°F, but fairly calm. There have been snow drizzles on and off.

Here's Hildur Eva trying on Selma Rún's witch costume a few days ago.

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 3b)

-7*F Dark 7:30am Forecast come daylight:
Sunny.
Highs 5 to 15 above.
Northeast wind 15 to 30 mph with local gusts to 45 mph in the morning.
Thank you, ric, rann, and TamaraFaye.
Will get back later.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Marsue, I'm glad your MIL has you to help.

Rann, I hope Selma sings sweetly for her sweets : )) Such a beautiful sky!!

Sharon, the blooms sure are pretty! How nice for a repeat bloom! We're around the 8'' mark and it's still snowing. Another beautiful mystery bloom and I love the butterfly!

Joey, that seems to be what mountains do best : (( Sad if you need the rain! I admire anyone who has the guts to be a responder. They do see some pretty graphic stuff. That is so adorable!!! Love that fuzz on top! Is he saying Grandma, what a big eye you've got?

Whitewidower, glad you're safe.

Dyson, glad you just got rain. I was watching National weather earlier and there's a lot of action over there.

Marylyn, glad your news is good!

Clerkie, that is so funny. I can just see your dogs doing that!

TameraFaye, I'm glad everyone is getting better, and hope you do too!! I hate being sick!

Marsue, that is such a big scare, the tornado being so close. It's nice she has her power already. Do you have larger pots to transplant into? Then they'll have a nice root system and you can pop them out when it's time to plant. The rose is gorgeous, but what rose isn't!

Rann, we've had and lost so much snow already this year. I think today's is here to stay awhile tho! We never tire of looking at those gorgeous kids do we? :)) Hildur Eva is absolutely adorable. I just want to give her a hug!!!

Kiska, brrrr!

30* and still snowing. We have at least 8'' already and spent a few hours hand scooping this morn. It was nice tho and I enjoyed it! I'm glad we didn't get 7'!!!

I feel for the families who lost someone in the tornados and was worried about those I now ''know'' here at Dave's.'' I'm so glad we didn't lose anyone here!!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Raining now and I forgot to check the level in the gauge (aint failing memory grand)? At least I can forget some of the things that I do not want to remember as well.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Marilyn, I can't imagine getting tired of seeing that rose. :-)

Rann, yep, we have to weed year 'round here. It does slow down in the winter, but not much. Hildur Eva makes an adorable witch. :-) What does her own costume look like? And what kind of songs do they sing to get their candy?

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

oh my, Clinton AK? i had better call my bro and SIL... thanks for get well wishes...

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Glad you all liked the picture of the rose. :o))

Rann: Hildur Eva is so cute but she seems to be saying: "Do you have to take my picture again!?" LOL That's a pretty piano bench in the background.

Kiska, I just can't even imagine how cold -7º is!

BP: 8" of snow would be a blizzard down here! I do have larger pots to transplant into and I am going to have to do that soon, I am sure. Those little plants are really shooting up!

Dyson: LOL There are some things I would like to forget, too!!

Here I have been complaining about nothing blooming around here when I heard a little voice calling me, saying, "Here, Here I am" so I took a picture. LOL

Thumbnail by marsue
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Dyson, the things we wish to forget are the things that stay with us.

Marsue, that is the prettiest african violet! I'm glad he called out! We can't see out in the country very far, so it is a blizzard.

Over 8'' and a third cleaning of the driveway.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Wow, what beautiful pictures! Seems some of you have such bad weather, I also heard about snow and freezing in Arizona...I hope everyone is safe from the tornados and snowstorms!
Kiska, I'm so sorry about your Holly, that picture with her and the moose was great! Love the sunset!
Rann, great sunset and beautiful Hildur Eva! Happy Belated for her!
Joey, thanks, what a cutie! JW looks great!
Marsue, beautiful flowers!
Deb, so beautiful, keep them coming, we're craving for sun and blooms! Valentines cactus, too funny!LOL
Sharon, what fog ! Look at my kalanchoe blooming!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

This is from one morning, couple of days ago.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

The moon.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

The dawn.

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

beatiful pics, nice to see things in bloom...

B&SIL were in Clinton at the time it hit, they took shelter in a store, are doing OK...

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm very glad your family is ok, Tamara!

Adina, those are gorgeous.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

BP: I suppose everbody in your area has snow blowers?

Glad your B&SIL are okay, Tamara. Do they live in Clinton?

Gorgeous kalanchoe, Adina, and pretty moon pictures.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Lots of nice pictures and I'm glad everyone and their families or friends are safe. Get well soon, TF!

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PST on February 06, 2008
62 °F / 17 °C
Clear
Humidity: 39%
Dew Point: 37 °F / 3 °C
Wind: 9 mph / 15 km/h / 4.1 m/s from the SSE

Yesterday I had an old root canal repaired or reworked or whatever they call it. It had gone bad and there was infection in the jaw. For about a week I was feeling somewhere on the border between sick and not sick and I guess it was from that. I'm taking an antibiotic now. The tooth area is sore today but at least it gives me an excuse to eat tapioca pudding.

We went hiking today.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Most of the greenery here is wild mustard.

Thumbnail by Kelli

This is a church built in 1903, which is really old for this area.

Thumbnail by Kelli
(Zone 5a)

Thanks Marylyn, marsue, adina and Sally - she's such a joy :-)

Marsue -lol that was actually the last photo I took ;-) Gorgeous African violet! Is it growing outdoors?? I was just admiring african violets at one of the garden centers on Tuesday - they had a sale and I went crazy and bought far too many house plants. Fortunately DH is in London on business so I have until Friday to figure out how to make them "blend in" the surroundings so he won't notice ........ lol Not sure it'll work but there'es no harm in trying. Didn't buy an african violet though. Now I'm thinking maybe I need one of those too ........

Marylyn - the kids just sing some song they know ....... Selma and her friend picked a really good song and they did get compliments on it. I'm afraid the people at the stores have to listen to 2 or 3 songs over and over again! They go to stores, banks etc. that have treats to give away. When the girls got there there were a lot of "all out of candy" signs, but they got plenty anyway. It's the first time she goes "candy hunting" and she had a great time! First time she's downtown unsupervised too - I think they felt very grown up ;-) lol Hildur Eva got a mermaid costume :-)

Adina - great photos of the moon and pretty flower!

Kelli - wonderful photos from your hike :-) Hope your tooth feels better soon!

TF - glad they're safe! Hope you'll be feeling better soon.

Deb - gorgeous Azalea bloom earlier. :-)

Photo from Jan 25th

Have a good night everyone!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Our prayers are going out to all that are affected by this storm.
Ric/Deputy Dawg – That was a close call with the single digits and the flood watch!
Joey – I LOL’d at the pic of JW! He looks like you fed him something really sweet or really sour! I forgot to mention that picture of Lady M is about 2 months old! She’s still blooming, but is a bit leggy and scraggly right now. She does have a lot of new growth! I know the answer!! It’s D!
Whitewidower – So glad you made it through the storm safely. At least the good thing is you received some much needed rain.
Dyson – There you are! We’ve missed you! How is your dog adjusting? And what is her(?) name? Congrats on the rain!
Clerkie - So glad you are safe as well. I love(d) playing in the puddles too! I still do sometimes! LOL!
TF – So glad you are feeling better! So glad your family is safe.
Marsue – Such a gorgeous rose! Looks like red velvet. So glad all is well with your MIL. Gorgeous AV too!
Marylyn – Please don’t mention weeding! LOL! Oh, my back hurts looking at all I have to do! : (
Rann – That is a Kodak moment if I ever saw one! Hildur Eva is just precious! What a beautiful piano bench!
Sally – That was Lady Margaret. She really is pretty, isn’t she?
Adina – We have the exact same plant! How about that?! LOL! I love them, they are so easy to take care of. Beautiful pictures!
Kelli – So glad you are feeling better! I had to have a crown replaced once, goosh it hurt so bad (no infection though). Look at all that green! You have some great places to hike!

Lake Wind Advisory in effect until 7 PM EST this evening...

Tonight
Windy early. Partly cloudy with chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening...then cloudy with chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms after midnight. Some thunderstorms may produce gusty winds in the evening. Low 56. Southwest winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts to 35 mph shifting to the west 10 to 15 mph after midnight. Chance of rain 40 percent.

We need the rain, but not the boomers! Taken after work.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Rann - We crossed. I had to laugh. I’m always making things “blend” after shopping! Sounds like Selma Run had a wonderful time! And to be unsupervised – she must have felt like she had wings on! She’ll cherish that memory for a long time. Great winter picture!

Sunset tonight

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 3b)

Lows 5 to 20 below. Northeast wind 15 to 30 mph
with local gusts to 50 mph.
Now, at 3pm; it's 3*F and windy.
Thank you, Adina. Your photos are so pretty; love seeing them.
rann~how exciting for SelmaRun to be unsupervised; for you both, a huge step:))
I hope all's well with our DG friends in the path of the tornadoes; what an awful time to be going through.
kelli~glad you're doing better and felt good enough for the hike; very nice to see that part of California through the lens of a friend.
MySharona~very nice sky for you, too. Sure hope your trip up here will be filled w/clear days and you'll be able to see all the different landscapes there are.
marsue~ just think, minus 7 was the "warmest" in the past few days:)) Clear and cold brings the most beautiful blue sky this time of year and really makes it ok. Love the little violet. Glad you "heard" it's call.
BP~~lots of snow to be moved around:)
Keep safe and well~
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Rann: Hildur Eva is just sooo adorable! I have a needle-point piano bench very similar to yours! Is that a violin?

Joey: I believe the answer is D, Superior.

Adina: I love kalanchoe! Nice photos.

In fact, nice photos from everyone today.

Sharon, we had a dash of summer the last 2 days, too. Got up to 80. That'll all change on the weekend they say.
Meanwhile, expecting very stormy weather overnight and lots of rain. Guess I'll be picking up pine tree limbs tomorrow. (Weak trees.)

Currently 68F and rainy.

Deb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.