February Daily Weather - Spring is around the corner!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

The rain from yesterday froze so we had icy roads. In the city there were muliple car pile-ups all over the place. The highway I drive was almost solid ice in most places and I had to go slow. But made it to work with no problems.

Oh and we only got an inch of snow at the most. :~)

Currently: 25°F Cloudy
Currently: -3°C Cloudy
Wind: South-Southwest at 7 MPH
Humidity: 80%
Dewpoint: 19°F
Barometer: 29.94 inches and
Wind Chill: 17°F
Wind: South-Southwest at 11 KPH
Humidity: 80%
Dewpoint: -7°C
Barometer: 1014 millibars and
Wind Chill: -8° C
Sunrise: 7:21 am
Sunset: 5:45 pm

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Billy I'm glad that was YOUR pic!

It's down to 43° here now and heading for 32°.
Just about 3 PM the cold front moved thru.
Like a Freight Train.
40 MPH sustained winds and driving rain.
The temp dropped 15 degrees in about 15 minutes.
The drive home was like being in a wind tunnel again.

We had a repairman in from Milwaukee.
The airport was closed till at least tonight by snow.
He said they were getting 3"/hour

At last count 54 people have died from tornados in the last 24 hours.
I have no doubt that will climb higher.
It's hard to imagine the amount of damage those babies brew in such a short period of time.
SAR will be at it for days.

Ric

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi Joey, "Lake Erie, they said, never gives up her dead,
When the winds of Novembers turn....." I'd say Lake Erie. At least according to the "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

I have a granddaughter and a brand new great granddaughter ( less than a week old) in Hickory Ridge Ark. I need to google arkansas and find out where the tornados went through. (sigh).
Weather was gorgeous here today, showers and sunlight from time to time. Currently 58 degrees, raining, windy but the worst of it went north of my town here in Pennsylvania.

(Zone 3b)

Deb ~ that's quite a drop in temp, and now with rainstorm, what a rapid change. Hope it's not going to be too bad. Heads up around those trees:)
Pepper23~ glad you made it to work; and hopefully, back home ok.
Ric~ It's difficult to consider those rapid changes; at least here, it's within just a few degrees day and night, for weeks.
Take care out there.
This evening/night:
15 below to 10 above zero...warmest in windy areas.
Northeast wind 20 to 40 mph with local gusts to 60 mph
Zero now.
Kiska

(Zone 3b)

se_eds~ crossed/ congratulations on the newborn greatgranddaughter. Hope all's well w/family in Hickory Ridge.
Jackie

Roads were clear by the time I got off work. :~)

(Zone 3b)

glad to here that, pepper.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

se_eds - "Superior it's said never gives up her dead..."

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Ah, shucks - I thought it was Lake Erie - That crosses the northern part of this state.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

se_eds: I don't think there were any tornadoes in the immediate vicinity of Hickory Ridge. However, the thunderstorms and high winds did pretty much cover the entire state as that front passed through. Hopefully your granddaughter's home didn't sustain any damage from the winds. Congratulations on the new ggd!

pepper, glad the roads were clear for your trip home from work.

Kelli: I always enjoy the photos of ythe places where you hike. I had never seen any wild mustard before.

Kiska, that 's another pretty snow-covered mountain.

and another pretty sunset, Sharon.

Everyone have a good evening and sleep well. If you have been ill, I hope you are better soon!!

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Okay you all...Here is the answer to the trivia. Sorry Se_eds...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_8s2zsNhSM&feature=related

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

We got about 6" of snow overnight, fortunately it's very wet so it compacts readily otherwise I'd be going nowhere today .... My morning exercise consisted of clearing a path out to the car and around it after getting the girls to school. I wonder why DH is always away on business when there's a lot of snow to clear .... last time he was in Copenhagen. Now it's getting very windy so it's a good thing the snow's wet otherwise it would be blowing into drifts with no visibility. I have to go to Reykjavik in a short while for physical therapy, hope the roads have been cleared by now.

Thanks for the compliments on the piano bench - the honor of that gorgeous needlework goes to DH's grandmother :-) And yes there's a violin in the background ;-)

Sharon - lol ! I think the only problem is that since I didn't have very many houseplants before, there's very little to "blend into" so I'm afraid he'll notice something. I'm just hoping he won't quite notice how many ;-) lol I plan to have them all transplanted and the bag of potting soil out of the house before he gets home ........ ;-)

Just horrible to hear about those tornadoes - my heart goes out to all those who have lost a home or a loved one. And I feel thankful that all I have to deal with is a few inches of snow and a rather stiff "breeze".

The wind's blowing at 33 mph right now, gusting to 53 mph. The temperature is dropping, it was 32°F earlier this morning, but now it's 28°F. There is a stormwarning in effect for today so with that kind of wind chill there is a very good chance I won't be going swimming today :-(

I didn't adjust the colors in this photo - taken Jan 25th.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Pepper – Glad you made it through the icy roads. Scary.
Ric – Glad you didn’t get a tornado, those were prime conditions for one.
Se_eds – Congratulations on the new GGD! Hope all is well with your family.
Rann – Isn’t that the way it always is? DH is gone for the honey-do’s! LOL! Be careful on the roads. Beautiful picture! Saved it!

62.2 °F / 16.8 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 50%
Dew Point: 45 °F / 7 °C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1 km/hfrom the WNW
Wind Gust: 5.4 mph / 8 km/h
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1014.8 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 2200 ft / 670 m
Overcast 4300 ft / 1310 m
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 20 ft / 6 m

Today
Cooler. Partly cloudy with a chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms. High 65. West winds around 10 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

Not enough rain last night to measure. :( Another picture of "The Fog" - taken Tuesday morning.

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 3b)

Temperature in Interior Alaska dips to 67 below zero
IN TOK: Unofficial minus 70 Wednesday just another winter day. (from Anchorage Daily News this morning).

The Interior is having a bit of cold, you think?:))
Tok is the last town before crossing the Canadian Border; we've only been there in non-winter and I see no reason to go in the winter:)

Palmer weather:
Strong wind through late this morning... ( and they are)
Today
Sunny. Highs 5 to 15 above.
Northeast wind 15 to 30 mph.
Gusts to 45 mph in the morning.
rann~sounds very wintery there; our snow is light and fine and is drifting like mad all across the area. My son spent most of yesterday plowing through drifts for the schools. Love your photo.
MySharona~love the foggy day pic of your area, too. Has it started to rain yet?

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Morning All! The temp is 37° & it is rather overcast. My rain-o-meter has 1" ~ we had a really hard rain yesterday.
At Dublin...
Mostly Cloudy: 39°F
Feels like: 30°F
Barometer: 29.9 in
Dewpoint: 28°
Humidity: 65%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 17 mph WNW
Sunrise: 7:21 AM
Sunset: 5:54 PM

Sharon, Sorry to hear about your MIL w/ her gall bladder. Hopefully she can get past this easily. I meant to ask...did she get injured when the EMT's dropped her? I certainly hope not! I hope she can heal quickly & get back to normal soon. :D BTW You are excelling in the use of your new camera! :D Great "stuff"!
Rann, Your winter pic is winderful! I have saved it for my desk top. :D
Marsue, Glad to hear that the storms missed you! & your MIL. And you could show that pretty little Violet for a month & I wouldn't complain!:D Glad that he got thru to you!
Kelli! Great hiking shots! (as always:) And you fealt like going hiking w/ a root canal gone wrong? Amazing! I've never had one, but have heard they are quite painful! :-O
TF, Glad that your kin are Ok & that you are on the mend!!
Adina! Great moon shots! Really nice! :D
Sally, Has the snow let up? Looks like an almost "white out"! :-O How much snow in total did you get?
Se_eds! Congratulations! :D On your new GGD! :DThat is so Wonderful! Hope they are well & safe. :)

Hope you all liked the tribute to "The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald". It brought back many memories for me.

Todays trivia is...
How long does it take light from the Sun to reach the Earth?
a) 8 seconds
b) 8 minutes
c) 8 hours
d) 8 days

Have aGreat Day! :D
Joey

(I think that some one is sleepy!)

Thumbnail by music2keep
Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Ft Pierce, Florida (Airport)
Updated: 50 min 41 sec ago
80 °F / 27 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 64%
Dew Point: 67 °F / 19 °C
Wind: 12 mph / 18 km/h / 5.1 m/s from the SSW
Pressure: 30.07 in / 1018 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 82 °F / 28 °C

I've been under -the-weather ( no pun intended!) and missed the tornado information. After the fact I called the granddaughter in TN and she lost power, but the storm missed her. The granddaughter in KY spent 4 hours in her hall under a table with a mattress on top. Some wind and debris damage, but the tornado passed about 6 blocks to the north. I know it wasn't funny, but my imagination pictured her, her husband, two children, three dogs and two cats under that table......and she's 8 months pregnant!!!

I had started some Impatience and Coleus which the squirrels dug up and filled the pots with acorns. Oh well, when you snooz you looze. LOL

As usual, my first stop back in DG is here and I'm always anxious to see the wonderful pictures.....and I'm never disapointed!!
~~~to all,
Pati

Kiska – Do people really live there? I just can’t imagine that kind of cold. No rain here.
Joey – Thanks! I want to take the camera to the beach, but it’s been too windy and I don’t want any sand getting in crevices. MIL was banged up pretty bad. The main concern was the open wounds. One for her “bag” if you know what I mean, and her feeding tube. Everything seems to be ok though. Awww, he’s fighting it, doesn’t want to nap right now! I’m going with A.
Pati – So glad your daughter and her family are safe. Congratulations on the new baby in the family!

66.2 °F / 19.0 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 27%
Dew Point: 31 °F / -0 °C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1.6 km/h / 0.4 m/s from the West
Wind Gust: 5.8 mph / 9.3 km/h
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Falling)
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 10000 ft / 3048 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Thumbnail by MySharona
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

It is 34 degrees now. It is going to be in the single didgets Sat. night. Here we go again!! BEV

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8b)

My brother was in the midst of the storm in Jackson, TN. His house specifically did not get hit, but there are many many in his church and workplace that were not as blessed :(

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh, how scary, Trish. I'm glad your brother is ok! (It's good to see you pop in, by the way! :-) )

Joey, awwwwww.... (forcibly stopping myself from lapsing into baby talk...) Give JW extra kisses from me when he wakes up. :-) I guess B.

Sharon, as usual, that picture is gorgeous!

Kiska, brrr! I've been out in the negative teens with -40-ish wind chill... That was bad enough! I can't imagine -70°...

I'd tell you all how nice it is here, but you don't want to hear it. We just got home from playing in the park. It was a little muddy, but very very fun. I forgot the camera (as usual), though.

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Marylyn! I'm always popping around...just don't take the time I should to say "Hey" to all my friends! (((())))

I was actually emailing with my brother offering my assistance however I could when I thought I should check to see how other DGers were fairing. I wondered why no one had dmailed me getting geared up for some relief effort. I guess because no one was affected (or is it effected??? I'm to tired to think to hard about it....). I was surprised there wasn't even a whole thread about it!

On the brighter side, I guess we don't need a relief effort :)

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Trish: So glad to hear your family are ok in TN. It must have been very frightening for everyone.
Kiska: I had the same thought as Sharon, "People live there????" Yikes. So you live in the tropical part of Alaska, I see. :)
Sharon: Like your foggy road.
Joey: JW is just so darn cute!! As an old G. Lightfoot fan, I was pretty sure about the trivia (for a change!). For today's question, I guess "B".
Rann: Love your snowy photo.

We didn't get any of that stormy weather we were expecting last night. I seemed to just break up before it got to us (same reason we had such a drought last year). We did get a good rain, and I only had to pick up 2 pine branches this morning. :) Back to "normal" temps now, but that's not so bad. High was around 60 today. Lows tonight upper 30s.
Deb
(Kitchen window. You can see some of Kiska's icycles.)

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Greensboro, AL

Beautiful day here in Central Alabama. Have been tilling with my tractor and transplants some tomatoes in my greenhouse. The storm missed me and all my family but I am so sorry for those who were less fortunate. So far I have planted cabbage,English peas, swiss chard, carrots, strawberries, asparagus, my blueberries are looking good. I planted them about three years ago and should get a good picking this year. My blackberries look pretty good and my Daughter can't wait to make a blackberry pie. I may be a little long but I can remember when she had a little oven and we bought cake mix at Elmore's for something like a nickle and I had to eat cake almost everyday. Oh what good times that was.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Strange day here is Pa. Temps started out at 58 deg and dropped all day. No additional rain, just cold, cold winds. Currently 38 degrees and windy!.

All are safe in Arkansas. Prayers for those who were not so lucky.

dragonfly, I think we are supposed to go down to 18 this weekend.

Trish – So glad your brother is safe. Our prayers are with those who lost so much. I was surprised as well that there isn’t a thread about the tornados. It’s a blessing.
Deb – Love the view from your kitchen window and the icicles!
Kiska – Are you selling icicles now? We are in dire need of an update on your new venture!

57.7 °F / 14.3 °C
Light Rain Mist
Humidity: 61%
Dew Point: 44 °F / 7 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1014.8 hPa (Steady)
Visibility: 6.0 miles / 9.7 kilometers
Clouds: Few 1900 ft / 579 m
Mostly Cloudy 3600 ft / 1097 m

Now
Through 8 PM...scattered to numerous showers will move rapidly northeast across the northeast Florida Peninsula from coast to coast...including the southeast corner of Georgia. The greatest concentration of showers will be moving from Alachua and Clay County toward Fernandina Beach...Jacksonville...Green Cove Springs...and Ponte Vedra and into the coastal waters. Isolated thunderstorms are expected. This activity is moving northeast at 30 miles per hour. Hourly rainfall amounts will be up to a quarter to half an inch in the heavier showers over Clay...Duval...and northern St Johns counties.

Tonight
Mostly cloudy. Showers likely and isolated thunderstorms in the evening...then a chance of showers after midnight. Low 48. West winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent.

We have received some rain, not a lot, but every little bit helps. We've been overcast pretty much all day. This was taken on the way to a new Italian restaurant on the mainland (which was delicious). I thought my invisible bungee cord was going to break! We'd been off island for too long and I felt it start pulling us back on island! Can't stay off island too long! LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Evening!
Trish I know dispatcher1 talked about 3 Diary Barns collapsing in IN w/ livestock injured and killed.
daylilydaddy and KYdaylilylady reported on damage down in KY near Morehead, KY
But no injuries amoung the ORVG Forum's members.

There is a thread on Mid South which got hit harder than we did.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/810349/

Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

36° here and mild breezes.
I went out and checked the yard.
Other than a few twigs and some plastic rearranged it looked normal.

Looks like we are in for some nice calm for a few days.

Our repair guy from Milwaukee said they got 18" of snow at his place.
As of 12:30 this afternoon there were still no flights going out of there.
So he may be driving back home tomorrow. (About 8 hours)

I'll go B on the Sunlight Trivia.....

On the Edmund Fitz.... a friend of ours has a cabin overlooking Whitefish Bay.
They saw some of the rescue craft after the wreck.
A few years later they took us down to the shore where some debris washed up.
Then to the Lighthouse where the Memorial is located.
Hundreds of people have died there in storms.
A fact I didn't know until I saw the plaques.

Ric

Nice weather today

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 4:51 PM PST on February 07, 2008
70 °F / 21 °C
Clear
Humidity: 31%
Dew Point: 38 °F / 3 °C
Wind: 5 mph / 7 km/h / 2.1 m/s from the NW

Marsue, mustard and wild oats are the most common plants in grassland habitats out here. Neither is native but they seem to be here to stay.

Joey, the root canal thing isn't excrutiating but it lets me know it is there and I take a bunch of ibuprofen. The dentist said that it would probably hurt for a few days.

We went hiking a little again today. We went to the same place as yesterday but went on different trails.

Thumbnail by Kelli

some kind of phacelia

Thumbnail by Kelli

stinging lupine

Thumbnail by Kelli

wild cucumber

Thumbnail by Kelli

darkling beetle - they are about 1 1/2 inches long

Thumbnail by Kelli
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

For those of you who are interested, here is a thread I started about tornado damage in Clinton, AR

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/811475/

(Zone 3b)

Lows zero to 20 below...warmest in windy areas. Northeast wind 25 to 40 mph decreasing to 10 to 15 mph after midnight.
Take care everyone~~will be back after sunset; looks to be a good one to go to the river and watch.

Got to high 30s with lots of sun but I had to stay inside to work today. My coworker called in sick so I had to do his job. :~(

(Zone 3b)

After re-reading, I'm so glad that so many came through the storm mostly ok; but so sorry for the loss of lives ~ can't imagine the devastion, but seeing the link, marsue, brings so much more to mind.
Kelli~how nice to see the wildflowers and your hiking area. It's been wonderful getting to know SCalif from your posts.
Deb~looks very pretty out your window~glad you didn't lose many branches.
Trish~good hearing that your brother is ok, too.
Ric~very moving story; that would be quite a memorial to visit. I've been to the Lumberman's Monument, in Michigan, and it's beautifully done and overlooks a gorgeous river.
Whitewidower~love reading about your growing plants and the little oven. Very sweet, no pun intended:))
se_eds~a cold wind is so hard to take; just no getting out of it as you cross parking lots or even your own yard.
MySharona~dinner sounds great:)) Love the pic. Yes, there are icicles for sale; tonight I've got 3 in the kiln plus a "4th July" plate. I have a pasta bowl mold on order and can hardly wait to make one. Sunday afternoon I have a "glass play day" planned for friend and family. Should be fun and they will each get to make a piece of jewelry, icicle or plate. After creating, I'll do the kiln work and they'll have their project in a couple of days.
Alaska State Lows:
Fort Yukon -59°F / -51°C
Northway -58°F / -50°C
Eagle -56°F / -49°C
Fairbanks Ft. Wainwright -54°F / -48°C
Central -52°F / -
Yes, Palmer is tropical in comparison:))Lows
zero to 20 below...warmest in windy areas. Northeast wind 25 to 40 mph decreasing to 10 to 15 mph after midnight.
Friday
Mostly sunny. Highs zero to 10 above. Northeast wind 10 to 20 mph.
Just a day in Palmer.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

If you are ever up to Michigan's U.P. be sure to visit the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish Point. It has a great display Great Lakes history and many items are on display that were recovered from the Edmund Fitzgerald. It's such a haunting place. I felt like like the spirits of the lost were hovering there. I felt much the same way there as I did while visiting Little Big Horn where Custer and his men met their fates. I think it was just last fall when a hiker walking a remote stretch of shoreline found one of the life preservers from the Fitzgerald. After more then 30 years the ship's name still could easily be seen on the preserver.

Visit the museum here: http://www.shipwreckmuseum.com/virtual.phtml

Photo: I've packed up the kids and camper many times over the years and vacationed at Lake Superior Provincial Park on the northern shore of the lake. It's a beautiful wild area and well worth the trip. This is a typical shoreline scene.

Oh yeah, the weather............cold, wet, windy at times, and gray, gray, gray. Spring is coming though......!

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
(Zone 3b)

E_B~that was a good link to know about. Very interesting and, from the deck, so very beautiful. Seems like a great place for vacationing, too.

Ric – I’ve never heard of a memorial for the E.F. Thanks for the info.
Kelli – Thanks for the pics! I love the 1st one, you can just see the lake at the bottom. Beautiful!
Marsue –Thank you for psoting a link to your thread.
Kiska – It’s so exciting that you’ve got a successful venture going. Congratulations on it! So you live in the “Carribean” of Alaska! LOL! You are a tad warmer!
E_B – Beautiful picture! Thanks for the link as well.

50.2 °F / 10.1 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 46 °F / 8 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 3.6 mph / 5.8 km/h
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Few 25000 ft / 7620 m
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Mostly sunny. Highs around 70. West winds 5 to 10 mph. Another from yesterday on my way home from work. I missed the brief "sunset show" by minutes.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The Custer Battlefield is indeed an eerie place too.
As you drive around you see where the individual soldiers were found and then come to the final battle scene.
It's easy to see how that many Sioux were able to be overlooked.

That Life Buoy was, I think, found to be a Memorial to the crew left years later.

34° here and headed gently toward 50°......

Ric

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.