Canna #2

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

yesterday was AWFUL here gray & "pouring rain" .... gotta love when the forecast calls for pouring rain 3 days of the week and drizzle the other 4. I'M SICK OF IT ! ahem, ok I really need to get out today, or at least go for a run on the treadmill.

Paul, I think the soil is clay, from what I've heard on the CA forum anyway. We have clay here and I have amended, so I imagine I am up for more of the same, except it will be drier, so probably much more difficult to hack into.

Tammie, did you get more bulbs in the ground? I envy you being able to work outside, how warm is it there?

Trop are you feeling better?

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

No, I did not, I was lazy yesterday.. getting them done today.. I have promised myself. Currently 69 and a little windy.. I hear my wind chimes in the back. Been busy on line with the new plumeria co op I have gotten myself involved in. I am going to get bulbs in the ground at moms today also. I would love some of that rain. Have been needing the sprinklers several days a week lately.

Tammie

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh, I would so love to be able to send the rain your way :) Have fun planting, temps sound nice, hope it doesn't get too windy. How long does it take plumeria's to root after you start them? I've just started some and hoping they;ll do ok.

just keep the plumies warm and dry.. it can take a few weeks to many months. You know they are starting when the tips get glossy looking.. sort of wet looking and tiny leaves start to poke up.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

excellent, thanks Tammie. I have a heating mat on the way, should have arrived yesterday, but didnt. But our house is warm, so I'm sure they'll be ok in the meantime.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Had some sleet this morning and rain off and on all day. Now tomorrow is supposed to be 64!! HOT HOT HOT!! 30s is hot right now. But 60s??? Wow!!

Hope everyone had a good weekend!!

WEll, I got a 3 gallon bucket full of daffodils, crocus and hyacinths planted... I have about that many left to be finished. Yea! Shower time now.

This plumeria cutting co op sure took off.. been busy with it too.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

That is ALOT of bulbs - good job! Pepper, 60's is AMAZING, enjoy !!

Trop, what are you doing ??!!!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

been trying to stay awake and not get sick all day...hate complain so much lately

When you are sick, you complain. lol. It's a rule.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

anyone else get suckered into watching the puppy bowl? can't believe it's been such a success they are now on the fourth year of puppy bowl.

daughter talked and talked about it

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

I don't even know what the puppy bowl is ??? Sounds like something my kids would've liked, tho lol. Are you feeling better, sorry you're sick : ( DH has a really bad cold & tonsils/sinuses, he's miserable.

I just heard about it the other day but don't know anything about it

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Hey, I just read that Will Ferrell is making "Land of the Lost" the movie. !!!

Taking Vincent & his friend to "Pump It Up" today to fight the rainy day boredoms. I may take a few runs on the obstacle course, and try not to plow any preschoolers over.

Poured cats and dogs today. Flooding in several buildings and just plain drove everyone nutso.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank god I'm not to only one - days and days and the forecast continues "rain and showers" I'm so sick of it !

Trop, have you been lucky enough to be outside - busy ?? *Big Brother starts in a few more days. (12th)

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes , outside, gorgeous yesterday, although it's warm might rain today. We still are 13 inches of rain below where we need to be, I'll not complain too much about rain

and YES!!! so now LOST, BB(isn't that early?), and heroes...woohoo

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

It's the new winter edition (due to the writer's strike) and YES, I love Lost !!! Need to rent Heroes.

Glad it has been nice for you, I'm dying to be outside.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Red, I think you can still watch heroes online on NBC..check it out....when you do...lol, Adam...mmmm hmmmm...

I think I like this writers strike

The rain froze last night so the roads were a mess this morning. And we only got an inch of snow so we didn't get much traction.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

That sounds really nasty Pep, are you staying in?

We have a "pods" coming on Monday (those storage things, they drop off and leave for you to fill, then come pick it up & store) so I can get the house uncluttered.

Oh, JOY, JOY! better you than me. I have more junk in my garage alone than most have in their entire houses... and I have a storage unit too... large one! time for a massive garage sale in the spring.

I just got 2 brugs I bought on e-bay.. Snowbank.. and they are BEAUTIFUL!! Hope I can keep them as nice until the weather improves and they can move outside.

Lots of cannas beint stupid around here and trying to start growing.. going to be staying above freezing for the vext few days for sure... they will get fried again I am sure.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

stupid cannas ! Great your ebay purchase was a good one, you never know - glad they are healthy.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

pepper, doesn't sound like fun

Red, I don't admire you...I can't even think about the stuff that would get trashed if we were going to move. I throw out so much stuff, maybe I should do it periodically, go thru and organize,,,,but no

Tammy, are you mulching over your cannas when they come up? I 'm having to do that with my amarcrinums

I will just let the next freeze fry them... help me keep them in check! I have two stands of them that need to be thinned in the spring.. I am trying to keep them under control. I am lucky they don't spread too fast here.. too hot for them in the summer.. they are moderate growers here most of the time.

Now, what am I going to do with the new ones I ordered on the Horn Canna Farm co op!?.... ...

... my typos in the previous post are really BAD.. sorry.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

you know, Tammie, I looked at those unsightly misspellings and....lol, I never go back and edit them either unless it's a forum I never post and I don't want people to think I'm dumb (just a bad typist)

well, I am at work and sometimes answering the phone or other things while I am tyoping.. like someone walked into the room and I turned my head just now.. typing sidew;ays on the keyboard too also contributes to typos.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

lol ---- and Trop-I-CANNA --- see your post above "I don't admire you" now, I thought you did admire me ??!!! lol

I have thrown away so much junk (why I was keeping it I don't know) everytime I pack I ask myself "do I really want to unpack this?" the answer is no, ALOT. I've donated mountains of clothes to the Salvation Army.... I even found a skirt I used to wear when I worked,,,, ahem size 2, that is so not going to go over my lovely lady lumps.

I made it to work yesterday though I made my dad stay home. Roads were solid ice in most places. Roads were clear by afternoon though thanks to warm weather.

Today I worked inside cause a coworker called in sick so I didn't get to enjoy the hot 30s today. lol. Instead I had to work in a building that was colder inside than outside.

Red, don't hesitate to throw away or give away things. I hate packing too so I go thru my stuff regularly and pitch them. Never known when you will have to pack again so better to be ready.....to a point. lol

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Hey guys! Oh, what a week. Pep, I know how you feel about the icey roads. It took me 2 hours to get work this past Tuesday, and it is only 18 miles, usually 30 mins with normal rush hour (20 min at 4am). Then, I got to work outside all day. The joys. It was kinda nice today, but I got sent to Boulder which is right nest to the mountains, and it has been very windy the past couple of days. Very windy up there, and very cold.
Red, better you than me (on the moving part). The last couple of times I have moved, I threw out so much stuff, it was rediculous. I'm a major pack rat. I had a rubicks cube from the 80s(I never could get it), tons of cheap junk bought overseas in a drunken stupor, etc.
Do you guys know alot about brugs? I would post over on the b. forum, but after reading a bit, wouldn't feel very welcome(comfortable?). I'll have to take a pic and post it here to show what it is doing. It is still a baby, a 'Sao Palo' (sp?) that I got at the Denver Botanic Gardens sale last spring. It's healthy, just growing weird. Anyhow, off to bed. We are getting an early start in the morning to fill a huge sinkhole that has shut down I-25 next to I-70. Don't know if you've seen it on the news at all, but it is 40'x60' and 16' deep.

Gonna plant a BIG tree in that hole! I have some brug cuttings I am starting this winter.. started some last year too. Send a pic.. I want to see it. I don't know why you would not feel welcome over there.. I chat there too.

Tammie

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

I did see that sinkhole ! holy cow, tell us how it goes.

Paul, you can go to Tropical Gardening and post about your brug there too. They would love to help you. :~)

That's a big sinkhole! I haven't been watching the news so haven't heard about it til now.

"ping".. you can hear a pin drop

Dusting of snow here and ice down south. lol. And yes veeerrrrry quiet here. lol

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

went to a wedding in Ohio this weekend (awwww!)

it was alright, went ot the rock n roll hall of fame...that was cool

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi, yes very quiet ! We have the "POD" storage in our driveway, and I'm very motivated to get it filled and out of here, so I can park in the garage again. Today was James (DH) first day home from work - it this is what retirement is like - he needs a HOBBY ! We were able to joke about it, but I am NOT used to him being home during the week.

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

Redtotsiepop, you know the saying about retirement, don't you? Half as much money, twice as much husband. Has he decided where you are moving? Hope you can put him to work before he drives you bonkers completely. Dotti

Make him run all the errands. You know, groceries, picking up the kids, doing dishes, ummmmm, vacum the house, clean the car, massage your feet. LOLOLOL

Those will all keep him busy.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

pepper, I'm not even married and I can tell you must not be...lol

let him get into video games Red..but only if you've got another TV

my SO was home on Monday...yesterday I was able to get some things done, I also had forgotten what it's like to have him around during the day..yeah

what are ya'll doing for Valentine's day?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.