Canna #2

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Brilliant Trop, my kids would love that project.

Yes, I will definitely try my hand at agaves (love love love them) and have ordered a few books on drought resistant planting (Beth Chatto's gravel garden) and mediterranean gardens. The California forum people have recommended a few I'll look at as well.

Our satellite tv is out this morning, snow again... slushy tho will melt this am for sure.

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

I am trying to remember exactly where Santa Clara is... but I don't think it is quite as dry as you are thinking... and everyone waters their yards a lot too. I really miss all the things I could grow in California.. completely different story here.. everything that has a bloom is a chore to grow here.

Tammie

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

well, to me it seems really dry, but just because I'm in Oregon, probably.

Our average rainfall is 40" per year! The area we would move to in California ( a bit east of Santa Clara) avg rainfall per year is 14" ... we can get 7" of rain just in December alone, so this is a big change to me.

and, that said I'll probably wish for rainy days : ) just like I wish my hair was straight, and not curly - always want what you can't have!

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

Redtootsiepop, I grew up in the East Bay area of California and it is a wonderful place to garden. I checked on a map for Santa Clara and it looks like you will be in the Sunset Zone 15. If so, you'll get at least 9 months growing time each year. How wonderful. Also, marine influence will moderate the summer heat. If you don't have the Sunset Garden Book, I recommend it; it could be a real assistance when changing zones. Oh, and I do hope that you will spend some time on the North West Forum. We'll miss you. Dotti

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, thank you Dotti ! I do have Sunset but need to pull it out and look at with "differently zoned eyes" for sure. I am scattered a bit now, thinking about getting this house ready to sell, and am anxious to find a new home. Patience patience , not my strong suit !!!

Tracy

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Have a big snow storm coming tonight. up to 8 inches possible by tomorrow night. When I get off work it will be 1/4 mile visibility. Yikes!!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

ooh Red...and amaryllis belladonna..you'll be able to grow those really well

I am having a blast landscaping your new yard already!

LOL.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Trop, I just wish you were my neighbor !!

Pepper, 8" of snow, holy cow that is alot- you get to stay home, right?

Okay, this will date me - but does anyone know what a Sleestack is ?

OH, I see, Santa Clara is up near San Fransisco.. if I am right.. it is a lot wetter than you think and definitely wetter than Los Angeles where I lived. It is amazing the things I was able to grow when I was there.. and I did very little real growing.. it was soo easy with almost everything. I can't imagine how much fun I would have had if I had been involved in a group like DG back then... I sure was missing out. Now I live where it is a struggle to keep a weed alive.

Tammie

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

I am getting excited, I can't wait to try some new things. I'm wondering if I should pot up things I want to take now, or wait till Spring... like Strawberry Tree (it's still small), a couple crape myrtles 'tuscarora' ... it's still cold & wet here, maybe late February ?

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Red, I just looked it up on google--got to urban dictionary. I'd post the link but I wasn't sure

I guess I'm getting old, I'd never heard it but it's kind of funny

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

lol Trop, you are younger than me, thats why you didn't see it. Came up on another thread about favorite cereals from childhood.... mmmm, we rarely got the sugary kind, but Count Chocula was one of my favs, my brother would get Frankenberry

Thumbnail by Redtootsiepop
Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I saw those weird lil things,,,lol.

But did you see the urban dictionary entry? New meanings now...lol. I was hoping no one had made that sort of reference (I'll link it if you can't find it)

Captain Crunch is still my favorite when I was a kids sugary cereal.. think there may be a box in my cabinet.

which program is that from.. ? I remember but not quite.

Tammie

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Land of the Lost - Holly & Will and their father were trapped there. The sleestacks didn't like humans at all ! lol
I loved that show.

No Trop, I'm going to go look at Urban Dictionary right now !

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

HA HA AH Hahahahahahahahahahaha

very funny Trop - I like definition #2 best.. what a fun site

how about a link? Can't find it.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sleestack

ok be warned, rated PG-ummmm16?

Anyone watching Lost tonight - I'M SOOOOO EXCITED FOR IT !!!!!!!

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Land of the Lost, holy cow! I loved that show. And that is back when cartoons were not only normal, but good. Didn't get much fancy cereal(just cheerios, mostly), but I was weaned on oatmeal. I would put so much sugar in it, they started calling me "diabetic Danny". Kinda turned it a grayish color. LOL 14" of rain, that is about our average here, but lately has been about 9". Drip irrigation is a must.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

I used to put a ton of sugar on my cheerios, so after you ate them, there was a huge pile of sugar in the milk. I would scoop up the sugar and eat it ! so gross, I'm surprised I don't have a million cavities.

The worse of the storm went south so we only got an inch at the most. Some places down south got up to 10-12 inches I heard.

I used to like those sugary cereals but now like banana nut crunch. If it has to be sugary then Lucky Charms or Frost Flakes. Or Cinnamon Toasted or whatever that is called.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Red, ditto! LOL I was 13 befor the first time I went to a dentist. Only had 2 cavaties, which considering the amount of sugar I would ingest, and a wanton lack of brushing the teeth was a minor miracle.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

ha ha ha - I know ! Although, my mom was religious about taking us to the dentist, I think around 3 or 4.... which no one did at the time. I think we're just lucky, with sugar & milk, kool-aid, Tang ( I adored Tang), everything was orange in the 70's huh? Except appliances.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Tang by the spoonful(w/out water). LOL Did anyone else ever put food coloring in their oatmeal? Oh the colors I came up with. LOL

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

ha ha ha - no, no food coloring in oatmeal. But we did many experiments with food/spices - I think my brother and I were on our own alot of the time. When I was old enough, I would bake cookies for us if he agreed to do the dishes for me after - he would ALWAYS !

I used to put way too much tang in my drink, but never ate a spoonful by itself - you were SUGAR Crazy !!!

I like Tang but not by itself. That would be waaaay to sweet for me and I have a sweet tooth. lol. Have a reputation for it at work.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Do they even sell Tang anymore? I thought it was just a 70's thing. Pepper, how's the snow now, were you able to drive anywhere?

Our Trop has been quiet today - wonder what she's been up to.

Oh yeah, Tang is everywhere. Diabetics live on that stuff.

Snow has melted off the roads since we got above freezing today. But around here we only got an inch or 2. South and east of here got 5 or more inches. A hwy 15 min from my house got closed for several hours last night due to white outs and wrecks.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

What? ! diabetics drink Tang? Isn't it all sugar?

oh, Burgerville is here - yum, gotta run !

I don't know the story behind it. I just know that alot of diabetics I know drink it cause it won't affect their blood sugars much.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

ugh...thanks guys...in a day of "recovery" from last nite...and all this talk about tang, food coloring in oatmeal, etc...blah. My parents were pretty much only militaristic about junk food...wheaties, raisin bran, egg sandwiches (whole wheat bread)..maybe honey nut cheerios as a special treat.

I hated it then, but I so appreciate it now. To this day the thought of donuts for breakfast makes me nauseous

sorry to be such a ray of sunshine...lol

lol. Well, I can cure that as soon as I make a link here.

Be right back.

Here you go. Please laugh your heads off for me. :~p

www.davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4484202

This message was edited Feb 1, 2008 8:24 PM

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I think it's a good picture, actually

LOL

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Poor trop! Tons of sugar in my Capt(, my Capt). Sorry, couldn't resist.
Pep, to funny. But, I do agree with trop, good pic!
Red, sure tang is still around. I mix it with gatorade in the warmer months when I'm working outside. Sometimes when the bp is running a little manic, I'll forget to eat or drink anything, like all day, while busting my butt in the garden! I'll shove a PB&J and about 32oz of above mixed drink down my gullet, hopefully before I get to pissy. It isn't a pretty sight.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh Pepper - you are FANTASTIC !!!

Sorry we were grossing you out Trop, actually my mom fed us pretty healthy, too. We rarely got the sugary stuff, till she went thru her "crazy" years. I try to be balanced with the kids, they definitely eat their veggies.

vadap, it's easy to get distracted during those projects, I tend to do that as well.... altho my DD does bring me water, which is fabulous. A good sandwich can work wonders. ahhhhhhhh, I crave summertime.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Just over 10 hours of sunlight around here! Yippee! Spring is almost here. Getting all my seed starting stuff together this weekend- plant stand, lights, clean potting stuff, lay out the plans! My other half went out to get donuts for breakfast, so will have a good sugar and caffine high!
Hey red, I was thinking, you may want to study up on soil amending. I don't think that the soil around SJ will be anything like Oregon. And with the local maisture difference, moisture retention(ie ammendment) is VERY important. Do you know if they have clay or sandy soil in SJ?
Oh yeah, we got about 3" of snow last night, with high winds, thunder and lightning. It was pretty cool. Now, the sun is coming out(please melt so I don't have to shovel), but only going to 38.

I can't wait to get my plants out of the potting shed so I can get in there. Right now, I have to step over plants to water things.. it is really a jungle.. major mess to clean up in spring when they all move out. Also, can't wait to get that heater turned off... my electric has run a lot higher this year keeping that warm.. have it set at 55 since I have hibiscus in there. They have even bloomed a little throughout the winter. Now the aphids are reving up.. as usual each year in there.. getting time to warm up and move em out..I hope

I am going to try to get more of my bulbs in the ground today.

Tammie

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Tammie, I am so glad I currently have no real bug problems in the GH, aside from those dag gnats. Neem concentrate worked relly well for spider mites and I mist with soapy water..lol

no jokin on the power bill

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.