Canna #2

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow, those greens look beautiful !

Hey Trop - when do we get to see a pic of that big fancy new bed ?? Can't wait!

I've repainted the interior of the house and am finally done. My arms feel like I've swam the English Channel.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

phicks...you can grow spinach and collards or order grits? lol...I'm just being silly

Red, I was just getting ready (I promise) to make a wisecrack about you painting somewhere. I did take pictures of the work I'm doing with the new bed, but my computer has been really funny lately and won't let me load pictures...but as soon as I can

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I think just about everyone's computer is acting funny here lately.

Red, glad to hear you are still around. lol

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey, for those of us that like exotic plants and live in a temperate area, please come voice your support for a new forum:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/816323/#new

we need new voices, don't lurk ,speak up :)

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

UP UP

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

hey, mr phicks (a man of few words..lol)

go to the link and voice your support, I think it would help

He's only a man of few words when he feels like it. The rest of the time he can talk your head off. LOL

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

hey pepper, I was wondering if you guys had even eaten kohlrabi? I got some seeds today to try just because it looked weird.....spinach, broccoli, sugar peas, etc.......

it was freezing today, all I could think about was how nice it's gonna be when it warms up enough for stuff to grow

I have never heard of it. lol

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

trop, kohl rabi is tasty, particularly if you like cabbage. You can slice it thin like a radish, or julienne like a carrot and put in salads, or you can halve and/or quarter, and put in stews and soups. You can use the leaves like spinach or other greens. Don't let the bulb get over 3" or so, it tends to toughen up. Also, space out the plantings to last the season, as they only last a few weeks when you pick them. I threw out alot last year, which was my first year growing them.

That dang flu has been lingering a bit, and changing my BP meds has made me a bit unsociable of late. I've been lurking, just not writing. Has warmed up this week, and supposed to be 60 on Sat. BUT, snow and 40s Sunday, and cold again all next week.

Paul, I'm jealous of your greens! Maybe I can be happy with spinach in early April, provided we don't have a blizzard! 2 new additions to my veg garden this year will be golden beets and Ms Carolyn tomatoes. Anybody grow either one?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

No But am Growing BUll Blood Beets there grown mainly for the dark purple greens tho the roots are good to let me know how those yellow beets do Paul

Paul and Paul posting after each other. LOL.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

vadap, hope you get to feeling better, it gets quiet around here..I guess I've not been the most sociable, spennding most of the time on here to try and figure out what else I can start growing now. Thanks for the heads up on kohlrabi, no one I talked to has even tried eating it, including me

and phicks..hmm..blood beets? there's so many veggies I guess we don't grow. My favorites so far have been the asparagus beans (which are the most tender tasty green beans I've ever had) and acorn squash

Finally we get to eat our asparagus for the first time this year :)

That flu has been hard on everyone around here. Just can't get rid of it. Hope it finally goes away for you.

Trop, I have given up growing all veggies except for tomatoes and peppers. They don't grow here. Actually neither do the tomatoes and peppers either really. lol.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

that Yankee flu is a killer, y'all can keep that junk up there. I went to a wedding in Ohio at the beginning of the month and people were sick all over....they're still stick. I doubt this is political, but...my blonde theory for the day is the flu vaccine is creating a stronger flu. My friend (lives in Wash. DC) did not get the vaccine and her husband did, they both got the flu but his symptoms were milder and cleared up sooner

what about cold crops, peas, lettuce, etc?

Nope. Our yard just does not do well with veggies. Soil isn't real good and we have lots of shade.

I have never gotten the vaccine and don't plan on getting it. Knock on wood I haven't gotten the flu this year. I just had that head cold last month and that was it.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I understand the shade dilemma, I bet someone else would know better, we never have our act together enough to do early veggies

the soil can be fixed though, and for lots of cold crops it doesn't have to be great soil

Well, i would have to put them in the yard but my dad will throw a major fit if I move into the yard for anything other than grass or trees. lol. But my grandma does alot of veggies so I just bum them off her.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Trop, I was going to say the same exact thing. LOL I tried buternut, butter bush,and galuex last year. None did really well, but I think I didn't water and feed them enough. Will try again. I was going to turn the garden beds tomorrow (sat), but I have to work. Of course, it will be 70 and beautiful! Sun is 40 with chance of snow and rain. I'm so ticked!!!

Actually, I got over the cold rather quickly, about 5 days, but it was a tough one. The lingering effects were sinus' and sore throat, but the warm weather this week is helping to kill it. Remember, it started when RTPs DH was flying through town on his HE!! flight and he had to stand outside waiting for the shuttle bus? I want to think it started out west here, as I haven't heard of any stories of anyone else getting it before it swept across the city, and we've got friends and family across the country. Oh and trop, your blonde thought isn't so far fetched.

Paul, and others, I will definately keep you informed on the golden beets and such. One of my favorite cooks (whose show has returned to food network) is Jamie Oliver, and saw a show years ago where he was preping them. Easy peasy.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I haven't tried growing butternut or spaghetti sqush but I'd like to try both. We haven't even thought about planting yellow and zuchinni squash and I'm already tired of it.

vadap that really is a long time to be sick. now it's time for me to act like someone's mom and suggest you double on vitamins for the next couple of weeks--that's a long time to be sick, you know your body's gotta be drained

I would like to grow cowpeas and black beans, but I always forget about those things when seed shopping, and my old man thinks he can grow corn every year and we waste half the garden on it.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Force the Fluids !!! Hope you're feeling better soon. I like Jamie Oliver, too - and he's done great things for kids lunch menus in Britain. I'm glad he's back on the air.

I've got the darn flu here, so do a couple of the kids. Yuck, painting & cleaning with a fever totally sucks.

I like kohlrabi, they sell it in stores here ... but I do live in the land of the fruits & nuts! Never thought about growing it. Trop, how do the asparagus beans grow - they sound delish! I'd like to try them. I'm going to try my hand at some citrus after we move. My second realtor interview is at 1, just a few more minutes. Need to go make sure there are no panties on the floor!

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Where you moveing to?

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

We are moving to the Bay Area -- just spent time looking at houses again, prices are going down Yeah!

Hope you get a fantastic house with a fantastic yard. You will need that yard. lol.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL just checking makeing sure you wernt comeing to florida

LOL. If I ever make it down there you won't know til it's too late.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL

Thumbnail by phicks
Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Seems like everyone on the east coast either moves to Florida or North Carolina

Your pic didn't come thru Paul.

Everyone in the Midwest tends to scatter.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

lol - ok, not welcome in FL!! Oh, change is difficult, but good. It's painful leaving my plants.

I still feel cruddy today - I think I'll grow a couch out my backside and read all those plant / seed catalogs that have been stacking up.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I hope all you sick people feel better...knock on wood no sickness this year

mr. phicks...now I am intrigued to learn what picture you almost posted

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

this one

Thumbnail by phicks
Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

lol...it is getting blocked out for some reason

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

here

Thumbnail by phicks

Hey, what happened to putting your face over hers? lol

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

is that your guard dog phicks? kinda tough looking

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

I like the stubby little tail !

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Shes a White Dobie i have a Male To

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

she is a guard dog then, should show us a picture of the boy. Dobermans are tough
--I guess I could look at a map, but is Lakeland in North FL?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

No its in Alska LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.