More pics?

Gee that is interesting about the rain setting the seeds I remember thinking as I did it that the humid air might act on the pollen like the passionfruit.If the air has no humidity you can have problems with them setting fruit.
No passionfruit this year (fruit ) because the bees can't fly around in the heavy rain.
chrissy

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

It is cooooolld here!! We are in the single digits now and our wind chill is below zero. But I am keeping warm by watching fancy classic cars sell at the Barrett-Jackson Auction. I would so love to buy some of those cars!!! Earlier today they sold the Beverly Hillbillies car for $125,000.

The prices some of the old cars bring these days is amazing ...Hope you are feeling good now pepper stay warm ...believe it or not it is like Winter here 60F at the moment and I have chicken soup cooking for feel good thing you need on dreary days.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

My back is pretty much back to normal. Some twinges here and there but my back isn't the greatest anyways now thanks to a bad wreck several years ago.

It is so cold out the house is cold!! I still have on two layers of clothes to keep warm in here.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Really , really missing my buddies. So tired I am almost sick and several more days to go. Best part is this maybe the biggest Market attendance in 15 years.
We sooo need some positive economic input. People are really going on faith.
Nothing to encourage as the Market of stocks seems to get worse everyday.
These are the real people. The ones who are up against the wall everyday..both the shop owners and the exhibitors. We are all trying very hard to say THIS IS GREAT! We are trying with all our might. America is trying very hard to survive, people. We are not the super power we have been in the past. Our economic lives are on the line. I love, love, love the people I work with, the people I deal with. We are all struggling to survive. As mentally and physically tired as I am tonight, I thank God that I am able to go everyday and love these people everyday. I am one blessed lady. I love you all

Christi

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Are you working over the weekend too?
Market is tough...I remember, especially when the times aren't so great. I was at market right after sept 11th...you can imagine what it was like then, but we all prevailed..and will again!

LOL...I tell ya..that chicken soup is something for the soul during cold!! Everyone I invited tomorrow has said..they can' t wait..and will be there!
It's not as cold as poor Peppers area..but it's pretty nasty for here.
Chrissy, I saw the forecast for Sydney area and I was surprised how cool it was there. You guys should be ramping up for the heat next month! It's so odd how your summer is going just like ours was last year.

Shari - I have a sage mix ...that we use for drum circles...it came from Native Indian Tradition - Cheroke I believe...it is bundle along with other herbs and burns like incense..it's purpose is to cleanse the circle. I went to the drum circle a couple years ago thinking it sounded so corny..but found it way more spiritual than I could have ever imagined.!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Jenny and Randy - burning sage bundles is a very ancient cure for just about anything that ails ya. From ancestor sharks to gremlins in the garden, and any and all household yuckiness. I sound rather flippant about it, but truly I am not. I am part Cherokee Randy - have been burning sage since I was about 10! And yes, it really is a very spiritual ceremony in drum circle. DD and I do something similar when we have a moon ceremony...very special.

We had fresh caught MahiMahi Parmesean last night. Delicious, but ooohhhh the stinkyness in my Kitchen!!!! Made me long for the heavenly aromas of chicken soup!

Christi- Please, please dear...pour a cuppa and put your feet up! Relax and rejuvenate! We miss you.

Chrissy - Don't rack your brain over the story...just tell me what you remember. It is the memory that keeps these superstitions alive, not research! And thank you!!!!!

Yokwe all!
Shari

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

oh..cool...schedule a moon ceremony when I'm visiting..
You didn't sound flipant...I know pagans use it too to clear the circles...
When are you posting your article?

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Selamat malam (good evening) y'all!
Finally...a few moments at the pc.
Well, Shari, now that you've mentioned it, yes, even the frangipanis are not immuned to being asociated to funerals! Chinese in Singapore, I recall would use frangipanis for funeral wreaths. The chempacas were also used at one time by the Moros (linked to Malays) in the Phillippines, laid on the corpse, before burial.
I don't know the origin of the usage, and can't ask my parents as they died young. But I remembered gramps warning me if ever I were to jalan-jalan (walkabout) in the night, to avoid any champaka trees. Supposedly, the flowers are ghosts' favorite blooms...perhaps that's why they became funeral flowers, to appease the ghosts?
That's all I know Shari...and please don't give me any credit. It's a shared knowledge. Don't have any elders left in Singapore to enquire more.
Interesting all these flaura and fauna lores. You can also write, not just on taboos, but also on flower rituals they have to celebrate joyous times.
Like, the Malays, for engagements, weddings, babyies shaving of head and circumcision ceremonies, it's a must to prepare packets of mixed flowers to be given to guests. "Bunga Rampai", we call it. The flowers are preferably of 7 kinds, but must include jasmine and roses. Then added with finely shredded pandanus leaves and sometimes shredded lime as well. They're mixed well then sprinkle with perfume, most probably attar of roses. I can smell them now!
Chrissy, how could you be a pest for asking a simple question, which thankfully Randy could answer!!! With your magnanimous character, you are certainly adored by us! In fact you reminded me of that famous Helen Keller quote..."When we do the best we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another."
That's you Chrissy, always doing your best!

Christi, I guess with the housing market the way it is now, it will affect all sectors of our economy! We might not be a SuperPower anymore, but our economic state will definitely affect the rest of the world. Why do you think the richer Asian nations and Arabs are quick to prop up the big banks?? When we fall, the rest fall! Domino theory applies here.
I am still praying for our boys to return :(
Wow...did I chat or what??
Till tomorrow, love and blessings to all!
~~Jaye

Edited: Sorry to write this long!

This message was edited Jan 19, 2008 12:06 AM

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Hang in there Christi, luv, it's almost over! Giong to mail you a "Maui" package on Monday - no, I guess Tuesday - is the post office closed for MLK?

Moon ceremony sounds very Wiccan and very cool, I know that they still do quite a lot of that sort of ceremony in some of the villages in England, passed down from times gone by, and still very much part of the physchie. Mother God is alive and well in England! Ancient cultures in the UK worshiped the moon equally, if not more than the sun. Details on your moon ceremony, Shari, I would love to know, it sounds wonderful! Perhaps I have it all wrong though, and it's something completely different...

A hui hou

Jen

Aloha Jaye! Same used to be said here in Hawaii about the plumeria, mostly planted in the graveyards in the olden times. Very interesting to learn from you about the Malay culture - how very alike it seems to be to the polynesian...I wonder which came first - the Malay or the polynesian? I suspect the Malay?
When I lived in Italy the Italian Cypress was in all the graveyards, as it is in most of Europe - a real death tree! Not sure of the significance of planting the Cypress, I will have to look it up.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Aloha Jenny! Perhaps all of these cultures descended from the mysterious Lapita...or they from the Malay? It is so much fun to try to figure out! No, you are not wrong regarding the Moon Ceremony. DD is Wiccan, mainly because (I think) it was as close as she could get to Mom's (moi) beliefe system, which is part Amerind, part Druid, part common sense, and part reverence for the natural world. I hesitate to expound further for fear of offending our more traditionally Christian brothers and sisters. Christi and I have talked of this, as have Randy and Carol and I... Christi truly lives a Christian life, and has room in her heart for acceptance of other's beliefs, for which I admire and love her even more. Many are quite intolerant of my grantedly untraditional spirituality, but it has been a part of me for over 40 years...slim chance of anything changing at this stage.☺ Our Moon Ceremony combines gratitude for our many blessings, a prayer for guidance in healing and a celebration of life. Randy, we would be honored to have you join us in one while you visit!

Jaye, and you said you were long! No worries, my friend. I would still like to mention these conversations in the article, including your DG name and Chrissy's if that is okay with both of you. I don't know when the article will be posted, mainly because I haven't finished it yet, but I think that mentioning people we have seen around the Garden, and names we may be familiar with makes the articles more personal...less like reading a newpaper. So I hope it will be ok with both of you...and Jenny, may I use your comments as well?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Yes...you can use mine!!!!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hey GirlFriend!!!! I thought you were on your way to the wilds of Borneo by now!!!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Selamat pagi!
There are 2 schools of thought on the origins of the Malays and Indonesians. One is that they originate from the great seafaring Polynesians and the other points towards ancient Annam. The common denominator, besides language, is that before they became Muslims, they practised Hinduism, hence the animistic rituals that some are still observed. Grandma used to say the plants sleep at night, so we had to leave them alone. She would also use flowers for spiritual cleansing and physical healing.
I am a Christian, Shari. Christians are called to live in a Godly attitude, and that first important attitude is a loving one.
I'm not here on DG to evangelise anyone, different podium. I have a lot of respect for others' beliefs as long as the same is given to me. It makes a very peaceful world if we all could love one another regardless of what we are.
FYI, the rest of my family..they still are Muslims. I am thankful that their love for me hasn't changed one bit!

Wow, to see my name in a printed essay! Sister Shari, I give you full permission!!
Love my Wiccan sister!

Hey Carol, I thought you were on your way to Borneo too. Hope all is okay and your trip hasn't been delayed because of your leg problems.

Shari, lovely to read a little about Wicca . In my world I feel more spiritually connected and my soul is happiest when I am surrounded by nature. I have a great respect for some of the beliefs held by the native American tribes. I think Jaye has nailed it on the head when she says that Christians are called to live a Godly and loving life. Why can't we as human beings get this concept? Shouldn't that mean that we accept all faiths and celebrate all souls for what they are rather than the name tag they wear? Why are we so judgemental of different ideas and beliefs when there should be room in our hearts for all. A hard concept to put into reality with our human frailness, if we could "get it" perhaps there would not be a reason to go to war anymore...

Another unasked for tidbit - we have Micronesian friends who, thanks to modern technology, have a hot line to "Mom" in the islands. "Mom" is a very wise woman who has the inside track on healing with plants and whenever a medical question comes up she is phoned for the answer. I got quite a bad cut and "Mom's" Rx was to use coleus as a poltice for its antisceptic qualities. I looked quite strange having a crushed coleus leaf taped on my arm, but no infection!

Aloha.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Jenny, if we have to defend our beliefs, than we have surely lost!
My Indonesian grandmother used to make her own medicinal concoctions, "jamu", all from herbs. From headaches to childbirth...even diets. Unfortunately, she died before she could pass down her recipes.
As a kid, it's impossible to swallow any of those bitter "jamu", so she chose to anoint whatever ailed me.
Her method: She would chew a wad of tobacco, chanted some prayers to the spirits, then spit out the juice on me!!! Talk about a 'red' letter day!!!!!
Then she'd save the tobacco for poultices.
Come to think of it, lots of coleus growing in her garden. Thanks for sharing Jenny.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

This is all fascinating!! I just learned yesterday that the Hawaiians (polynesians?) use Kava ('awa) for smudge sticks.

Leaving Wed. for Borneo....

Salamat pagi

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm I going to have to get the sage paddle out? We have to steer this somewhere else, as much as I really prefer not to..but...better one of us to steer than the big Gardener in the sky! Jenny,
In Africa, there is similar phrase...called Ma...pretty much meaning the same thing. For example the new president of Liberia is Ellen Samuels, but the Liberians refer to her as Ma Samuels. Much to be said about a Woman leading, people follow very willingly with less fighting.
Ow..ow...sage paddle marks! I'm done...!

The scent of Chicken soup wafts around the house, after a hiddeous night of cold peppered with a deluge of rain...wish we could send some to the drought areas!
It's now clear and Sunny with a forecast of south wind starting sometime tommorrow or monday.
And guess what...the deck is smeared with leaves...got to go clean up just a little bit.

Kalani Kai!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yes Jenny, I remember you mentioning her when I did my article on Medicinal plants. The knowledge of these "Aunties" as they are called out here, is mind boggeling.

Too true, Randy, we must steer the conversation to other areas, though, it seems as if we are all in agreement here. Room and love for any and all! But even though the rules are to keep arguements from getting heated, (which it looks as if we are in NO danger from), they are still the rules, and we must abide by them. I have no wish to be paddled by sage or any other stick!

We have had two days of rain, and now my hibs are blooming like gang busters...so pretty!

Have a good day everyone!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Your the best Moon Godess!
hehe...:)

Well although it seems a common thing there is the olive
Ever since the goddess Athene won the God's approval for her gift of an olive tree in Attika ( much to Poiseidon's disgust).
The Greeks have held it above all other trees.
It is mentioned in the Christion bible and many other religions ...which have left specific instructions as to how it should be used.
As we all know the olive has been used as a staple food since at least 4000 BC ...(along with the grape, fig and date).
Roman soldiers were fed on a ration of bread,wine olives and salt for at least a century BC.
It was an olive leaf that told Noah that the flood was receding.
The olive a sign of peace and victory was placed on the heads of the victors at the Olympic games.
The bible urged farmers to leave some olives on the trees for gleaning by the wayfarer.
The trees still growing in Gethsemanie in Jerusalem were taxed by the Arabs when they occupied it (in the 7th century)and the word Gath -semen means "oil press".
It remains "the patriarch of trees"
Now we all know the wonderful things we can do with olive oil in the kitchen but it is also wonderful for softening hands,for stinggs, bruises,bites,sore joints,massage and as a laxative, I once read that Sophia Loren uses extra virgin olive oil as her cleanser.
Personally I love olives for their flavour and their history, you could write a really thick book on it all but ...

The Lord once called you "A green olive tree, fair with goodly fruit" ; but with a roar of of great tempest he will set fire to it, and it's branches will be consumed.
JEREMIAH11:16
Now shari that was looked up for the spelling :)
righto off the top of my head ...
Basil may cause worms to grow in your head. but it tastes good
Borage for courage (some was steeped in wine and drunk before a big fight/war
Sweet bay keeps witches and lightening away ...amongst other good things like flavouring our soups/stews and custards
potatoes were considered very wicked because the Irish pheasants had huge numbers of children when they consumed potatoes as their main diet (20 +)
I think mandrake screams when you cut it.
Sage is a herb burned for "cleansing"evil and bad stuff much like our Aboriginal ceremonies of the burning of gum leaves to chase away these things and cleansing.
Rosemary for rememberance and cleansing too. (great for dandruff in a hair rinse too, and throwing into the leg of lamb along with garlic: and that leads me to garlic magic we all need to keep those vampires at bay :) cures intestinal worms and almost any ailment known to man.
I think that may do for now except to say that the plumeria is placed in graveyards as a symbol of life after death ...because flowers and leaves spring from what looks like dead branches ...even when they are not attached to a tree.
Happy gardening everyone! I am off to heat some chicken soup!
chrissy

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

ooh me too...on the other side of the world...we'll think of each other whilst sipping nummy soup.

See Chrissy...it all boils down to plants! we've got to be on the right track!
enjoy soup!
Rj

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Making chicken soup here too!!!!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

This is what I posted on Don's thread. Brisket here!

Thumbnail by heavenscape
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Wow Chrissy! Waaaay more info than I could have wished for! Thank you! Should have known that you would be a font of information.

Although all the chicken soups sound wonderful, and that brisket looks too yummy for words, DH has asked for tamales after his afternoon dive. So I am off pretty soon to make a green chile smother for the tamales. Mexican comfort food.

Lots of my flowers are blooming today...posted some pics on the Tropicaholic thread.

Yokwe everyone!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh how great you all are! Barely enough energy left to read but my heart is warm with good tidings tonight. I have such an exquisite group of friends. I am truly, truly, truly blessed. Be sure I shall read this thread more than once when I am fully rested. Mike says, why are you putting yourself through this? Not for the money. That would be a joke. The people I work with are family. The people I serve in my position are family. I am with my sister, Julie. It is for a short time and it feeds my soul...as everyone of you always do. Once more, I tell you how much I love you.

Christi

Aloha all, sorry, didn't mean to repeat myself, or to be controversial. *slinking away quietly*

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Jenny...me thinks ju be straight!!!! Don't slink away....no need as far as I am concerned. There is enough love in all of us to accept everything! Right? It is all good. No matter how it is spelled, it is all good.

Carol

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Jenny???? Slinking away???? Por qua??? I didn't mean to imply you were repeating yourself, merely that I remembered the comment...others here probably hadn't heard it. Darling girl....you are NEVER controversial!!! As Carol so eloquently put it...

It's ALL good!!!

Christi - we love you too, and can't wait till you are done and recuperated and back to being our wonderful cheerleader!

Having lots of trouble with the computer tonight, my theory is either bad weather on the top of Haleakala or the menehune are at it again.
Carol and Shari, you guys are way cool, especially to someone who seems to always open their mouth and insert their foot in - sideways! Forgive my ramblings!
Looking forward to your upcoming article Shari, I always enjoy them and learn so much interesting stuff, between everyone there is so much grist for the mill...
Carol, you never fail to crack me up with your sense of humor, I can't wait to meet you in person!
Christi, sorry you are so worn down to the bone, how many more days have you got to be on duty? Hope you are not standing on your feeet all day long with your bad back - not good. We miss you greatly round here...
Jaye, love your story about your Granny, what a wonderful character she must have been - spit and all!
Shari, popped over to look at your flowers, they are gorgeous! Had to log on four times because I kept loosing signal but it sure was worth it...
Trying to get this off before it goes poof again.
Aloha and Yokwe to all you dear (forgiving) souls!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.