Dave's Garden Party

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)
There are a total of 590 votes:

Yes- no matter the cost
(60 votes, 10%)
Red dot

Yes, but only if __________ (please tell us what it is)
(281 votes, 47%)
Red dot

I'm sorry, there's no way I could attend
(240 votes, 40%)
Red dot

I don't like this idea at all (please tell us why)
(9 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

I thought the location was 500 miles from Dave, which most likely means Texas???

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

As long as there is a major airport nearby!

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

if i could get the money and the means to go out there, as i'm still a minor.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

There are several states in the 500 miles area.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I'd love to come no matter what the cost, but to be realistic, after the cost of transportation and hotels, I could swing maybe $50 for registration and other costs... eep!

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the Map. It helps tremendously!

I would LOVE to go. I would want it to have seminars, plants sales, plant trades in another area ... it would be GREAT!
The only place I WOULDN'T go is New Orleans. Hate it!
Also, I wouldn't want it to be in hot weather with high humidity...unless it was all indoors!... but that would cut out local nurseries...just contemplating out loud. :)

Memphis is great. But watch out for summer. High temps on the Miss River are really uncomforetable. (I'm originally from MS) I'll bet just about anywhere would be good in the spring though. Their annual BBQ contest is in May (Memphis in May). I've also heard San Antonio is neat. Seems there are several great options within 500 miles.

Location is certainly key. I'm with all that say the spot should offer lots of entertainment so it can be a mini vacation of sorts.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I would love to go and will if I don't have to fly! Airplanes and I don't go together. Since I am in Texas I am hoping the group is aiming for the middle of Texas. In that case I wouldn't 'not go' for any reason.

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

The truth is that really no matter where it is, there will be people for whom it is too far. If it were on the east coast it would be too far for folks on the west coast. If it were on the west coast then too far for those on the east coast. North or south is the same. Even if it were smack dab in the middle of the whole country it would be too far for someone, not to mention DGrs from other countries. So the first one will be within a 500 mile radius of the Bryan/College Station area. The one in 2010 can be somewhere else further north, south, east or west. Truth is, even if it is 500 miles away from here, I'm still going to do my darnedest to be there. Just my 2 cents.

Anne

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Bless your heart, Anne.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

!! Amen, Aunt Anne!! Well said!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I agree wholeheartly Anne!!!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I would go if I could pair the 'Garden Party' with a trip to visit family or friends in the region (and I can probably wangle invitations from them)...

Or guessing it will be in TX, pairing it with an adventure to the International Butterfly Garden or a Birding Tour or something like that...

Sounds like fun! Thanks for getting it off the ground!

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

If I knew where Dave's is, if I can afford it and IF DH would come with. If its in TX anywhere near Gustine?????? I have an Aunt and Uncle there.....a cousin or two as well...... Combining fun with a family visit would be alright by me.

This message was edited Jan 7, 2008 7:17 PM

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I was thinking you wanted honest answers and that is what I was trying to do. If it is in Dallas, I can't drive 81/2 hours with three bad discs in my back and two in my neck. I didn't intend to share my health with everyone. I just thought you wanted some firm honest feedback.

I would love to join the party...my only hesitation of course would be if DH is traveling outside the US. Just a personal commitment to never travel far from the pumpkins if DH is overseas! Otherwise, a fun adventure and garden party to enjoy!!

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

If the cost is not too much.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

2009 seems like a long way off to make a comittment, but things like this take time.
The Fort Worth / Dallas area has Bass Proformance Hall, Nascar, Lone Star Park (horse races), world renown Museums, great Zoos and Gardens. All close to Airports, loads of hotels, camping, & nature trails.
I would also see loads of opportunities in Memphis, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, & Little Rock also.
The reason for the 500 mile radius is that THE DAVE of DG is willing to come if it isn't any further than that. There is a lot of you that haven't met him, right??? Take a look at the map again, anyone undecided. The only place I wouldn't consider is south of the border!!!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4215891

This message was edited Jan 7, 2008 8:50 PM

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

Or the middle of the Gulf of Mexico. Though I haven't been fishing in a while. Or swimming for that matter. lol

Anne

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I love Arkansas, Louisiana and Tenneessee, too. We are having the national violet convention in Oklahoma this year. Gardening in Louisiana I am envious of!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Yes, but only if . . . it was within a reasonable driving distance from me. About 2-3 hours. Around Austin (Round Rock) would be good, but of course San Antonio would be perfect! Waco would be my limit going North.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

Memphis, Little Rock, Wichita, Tulsa, and Springfield MO are all decent sized metropolitan areas within the radius but not in TX. And KC isn't much beyond, i don't think.
Perhaps narrowing it down to 2 or 3 areas, and taking a vote on where people would/could go would be a good idea.
Maybe one can be right by Dave - say Austin, or Houston - another could be a place closer to the northern edges of the 500 mile radius, and the 3rd could be a place with a big tourism draw - like New Orleans (heaven knows they need the business).
Of course there will be disappointment with any choice, there always is - but this discussion, with its vast number of possibilities, naturally feels chaotic. The committee, or whoever is in charge of deciding should narrow the field, so that reasonable, productive discussion can take place...

Just my 2¢ worth...

amy

Well said, Amy.

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

I've been to several roundups and loved it, but really wouldn't even consider this. It would have to be a driveable distance for me, and couldn't be more than a long (3 day) weekend. I always travel with my dogs, and couldn't leave them crated in a hotel room for the better part of any day, and any motel room rate, above the cost of a motel 6 or red roof inn would be too expensive. I enjoy the get togethers for the camaraderie, but I can get that from going to any of the roundups in surrounding states without the major expense of what you all are planning.

KC might be doable, because I have a friend I could stay with, but that would be about my limit.

I wish you all well in your planning, and will enjoy reading about it, but don't count on my attendance.

Deb

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7a)

Yes, but only if... the cost to me is $1,000 or less. I figure that is as much as I can save in a year's time in a "special" fund. I can and WILL figure a way to put that aside, because it may well be my only chance to meet you guys and shake your hand or give you a hug!

Barb

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Memphis, Tulsa and San Antonio, and D/FW are all do-able for me and all are certainly up to the challenge of hosting an event of this nature with accomodations, airports and some visit-worthy botanical sights.

"Skooching" the map a tiny bit further north, KC, St. Louis, would also be feasible for me, and might be more attractive to the upper midwest folks; SL has MOBOT, which would be a fun outing for DG members.

I'd prefer to avoid Houston (traffic) and New Orleans (we were there last year, and it's coming back, but still not in good shape for tourists...)

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I am just now noticing that Terry is from Murfreesboro! I love Tenneessee and lots of good antiquing and plant hunting between south Texas and Tenn.

That would be a great vacation and not just a weekend for me!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

If it's in a jetBlue city (and they're still in business and DH still works there), then we WILL be there. Actually, it doesn't really need to be a jB city but the stuff in parenthesis still is a must. If not, we might be there anyway, somehow. xx, Carrie

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm on Spring Break from April 4-13, 2009. If it's then, and near Dallas, I'd love to come.

My hubby's sister is in Plano, outside of Dallas. That would give us a place to stay, and something for him to do while I play garden. That's a HUGE issue.

This is a wonderful idea!

Don't forget to plan gatherings for the various communities! It would be so much fun to meet the folks that frequent the areas that we personally visit.

BTW: Austrailia sounds like a hoot! I'll bring a tent for that one!

Blessings on your garden,
Elf

This message was edited Jan 8, 2008 8:01 PM

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

It would be good to have it close to an airport that had a SkyBus hub. Howie and I have talked about this quite a bit the last couple days and to tell the truth, a huge convention kind of thing just isn't our bag. We like small get-togethers where we can break bread together and just hang out...No big schedule or plans. As much as we'd love to meet so many DGr's, I have to change ours to no for now.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I can only say...possibly. If the travel wasn't too far, the cost was minimal, school's out....too many factors without enough information. 500 miles from Daves'....in which direction? 500 miles from here is pretty far for me.

I also would have to agree with some of the others, a plant 'convention' would appeal to me if the topics and vendors were relating to my particular zone/growing area. Not that I'm not all for meeting every DG'er out there....that would be fun but I'm not sure I could justify the cost of a trip like this. My family wants a 'family vacation' and I'd be hard pressed to tell them this is what we were doing.

I think it's a great idea and best of luck pulling it all together.

Reynoldsville, PA(Zone 6a)

lol, nope no way i'm, takeing 5 kid's under 11 in a van that far away from home only w/ one driver to drive. we'd be driveing for days. the cost of hotels and gas and everything else on top of that would be to costly. i have a flock of over 100+ chickens not counting 4 dogs, 17 cockatiels and everyone else besides no way i could leave them for that long, noone to care for them either. i'd love to go, it would be loads of fun but there is no way that's gonna happen.

one thing i didn't see mentioned i think really should be considered is how everyone is gonna transport all them plants accross state lines to or from??? if i recall some things are illegal to do that with due to invasives, weeds ect and each state should have a list stateing what they do not allow and what states can import and export too. i know for tx -pa is not allowed to ship to due to something with those laws that bans alot of imports and i know there are other states the same. that would so not be kool if plants or whatever get confinscated at the state lines. cuttings and seeds can sometimes be classified under that state law also.
silkie

North Pole, AK(Zone 1)

Contingent on dates in the spring, I would go! Would have to be early enough in the spring that I hadn't started planting. Early to Mid March would be ideal. Indoor planting starts after that...and no one in their right mind leaves Alaska for anything after April 1....The whole thing would be a ton of fun!.

Tallahassee, FL

Yes - I would make every effort to attend anywhere in the southeast. Workshops and plant swaps would be a great incentive to start saving my money now. Carpooling with others from this area would be a must.

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

I had to say no for many reasons. Health, cost, distance, the DH dilemma and other reasons.

Cost - even though there's over a year to plan and save, there's so many more things I would/should need to use that money for.

DH dilemma - gardening is a chore for him and this would not be enjoyable for him at all. In my life it would be unfair to drag him along, or to leave him at home.

Other reasons - I'm with Gardenwife and Howie when it comes to large crowds and big cities....I just don't enjoy those things. I've gone to conventions/conferences before and they just wear me out. Too much like work or school for me, lol. I'd rather stay home on the farm with the dogs.

However, if for some reason I do happen to make it, I'll probably head straight to Broncbuster's after party! :)

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Some said this discussion is chaotic and I have to agree with them.

Let's go back to LouC's post of Jan. 7th at 3:34.

This is not abot location. That is pretty much settled. It's going to be set somewhere in a 500-mile radius from Dave's home somewhere in Texas. If this seems small to you, it's an area comprising 785,000 square miles. That circle is 1,000 miles in diameter, people. If you drove around its edge, you would travel 3,141 miles. That's is hardly the size of a back yard.

This is all about how many people will come so those dear people who have taken on the mantle of organizing this thing can give hotels, convention centers, airlines, vendors, speakers an idea of how many people will be there. Will there be 50 people, 500 people or 5,000 people or 50,000 people.

Although we are a resourceful bunch, I am certain the organizing committee will lose much sleep in the process or giving birth to this behemoth. I am pretty much certain that the committee won't be able to arrange orchid-watering services, dog-sitting services, mail pick-up services and (Lord above forbid) iron lung maintenance crews. These are things you arrange with your friends and neighbours. You have more than a year to do it IF you CAN come.

It's a sad fact of life that many people's lives are not set up to just "get up and leave" at the drop of a hat. It's another sad fact that not everyone can afford to come. Someone who is just excited as can be to come may no longer be with us next year. Some people won't be able to come because they are halfway across the planet. Others have health issues that preclude travel.

I said at the beginning and I will reiterate it here: The organizers are only trying to gauge how many people will come.

Respectfully submitted.
Sylvain.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I think everyone has provided their thoughts as respectfully and tactfully as possible. It's true that this is a mountain of a task and it's a bear for those trying to pre-plan. But, as with any large group, trying to get together for the first time, there will be many, many individuals who just won't be able to give a yes or no, without knowing certain factors. I seriously doubt that anyone who has spoken here honestly expects this group to arrange 'orchid sitting services', etc. They are just speaking of what holds them back from giving a positive yes. You are most fortunate, Sylvain, that you are able to give a definitive yes, at this time. Others are not in your shoes. A year is a very long way away and it's extremely hard for even the most organized individuals that I know to commit that far in advance.

I applaud the folks who are arranging this and I understand the folks who have to say 'No' or 'Maybe'.

Crozet, VA

There has been some good feedback given here. Things mentioned that I hadnt even thought of being considered. I definitely want to go, but I couldn't truthfuly answer yes to the first option, because "any amount of money" will help me determine whether to attend or not.

I kind of like the idea of Memphis. I have never been there and was just thinking of it recently. I have only visited Texas once and loved the San Antonio area, so that is a good option for me too.

Here's to seeing some of you in 2009.

Ruby

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I'm suggesting to the committee, whoever you may be,
that you get together, pick 2 or 3 cities to choose from and let us go from there. Once we have a place or possibly two, maybe even three (but no more) to consider THEN and only then can we say Yes or No. This endless discussion on all the IFS, etc, is fruitless. No one place is going to satisfy everybody.
Remember that famous quote: "You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

(jax) Dundalk, MD(Zone 7a)

Congrats and Best Wishes to the Committee. You have tackled a mountainous undertaking. I know! Unfortunately, even though I would love to attend, health issues stop me from traveling. And since I can't work...I cannot afford to do it.
But, you have my support in your efforts. If there was something I could do to help, from here, I would love to.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.