Dave's Garden Party

Crossville, TN
There are a total of 590 votes:

Yes- no matter the cost
(60 votes, 10%)
Red dot

Yes, but only if __________ (please tell us what it is)
(281 votes, 47%)
Red dot

I'm sorry, there's no way I could attend
(240 votes, 40%)
Red dot

I don't like this idea at all (please tell us why)
(9 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

For cities within the 500 mile radius that Marilyn provided, I vote for Paris (Texas), just so when people ask where I'm going, I can say "Paris" and let them think what they will. LOL

Jeremy

(Zone 1)

I voted YES - but only if: It's not held during a winter month when it's cold.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

I would go, IF I can talk my DH into it! He doesn't fly...won't fly...so we would have to drive....and I doubt he would do that either. Actually, he doesn't like to leave his own bed...lol! But I would love to come. Can't do it by myself though...I don't think.
Have to think about it some more!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I've to vote no, because of the distance. Even if we'd plan for a trip within 500 miles radius of our local range. There will be many a meetings on different regions. I do love the idea of get together with other DGers, thus for now, I'll stay within our RU plans and attend those that I can. Enjoy the pics. and posts from others' that are too far away from home.

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

I would love to attend if the cost isn't to much, I'm mainly talking about things like gas prices, and motel rates.

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

I want to come! The only thing that would hold me back is location and cost...

I would want to drive to save money, and I get mixed up in huge cities... that would deter me. If I had aways to drive from the hotel to the RU site that would be hard.... I will try to find someone to come with me and drive if it is in a large city....

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I would love to attend. I am willing to help even if I can't make it. Cheap airline tickets can be acquired if one looks far enough in advance. Also, if the date is not around a holiday or "spring break" the tickets would be considerably cheaper. Memphis would be best for me. I could drive there. That would save car rental. It might be helpful if there were car pools. I would not be able to do very much outside in the sun especially if it's in the hottest time of the year. Going South in the colder months would be welcome. I have dermatomyositis which is a real curse for a gardener, but I don't let it stop me. "Don't let what you can't do get in the way of what you can do". I would enjoy the activites and meeting other gardeners. So, I answered "yes, if". The "if" would be if I am physically able. I am planning on going, God willing. This kind of "vacation" would be the best. So, really, I guess that's a "YES".

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

fsrstarr, in the meantime shop for a GPS--they are wonderful!

Oh thanks for the map MArilyn_TX - how about NEW ORLEANS!!! I would come to see that. Haven't been there in about 28 years and I know it has changed but would love to revisit that area.
I guess if we were to go to that part of the world it would have to be in spring.

Corpus Christi is really nice too, and I have friends in that area so that would give me more motivation to come.

This message was edited Jan 7, 2008 12:38 PM

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Is there anyway to change my vote to yes. I think the organizers need more of a commitment to get this off the ground. Since we have so much time, we can start saving now and make plans for transportation.

I would go if it was up to 150 miles away, and I could drive there and back in the same day.
Registration would need to be fairly reasonable, also.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

depends on all the usual stuff - where, when, how much $...?
i never know where next month will take me, much less next year!

amy

Central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I'd love to come if cost is reasonable, and if I could get away from work.

Kyle, TX(Zone 8b)

In re meetings, is anyone going to the North Texas Nursery Growers Association expo in Dallas/Ft. Worth area? www.ntnga.com

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Wish I qualified.

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

Sounds like cost is the recurring theme here. I'm all for low cost as well, although i am in TX, and would most likely attend. It would have to be over a weekend or a school break most likely for me.

Haldawani, India

It is very far from my place, I can not attend it as I can't afford the cost of travel. I wish it were some where close, approx 500 miles. I would still attend if I get a free Air ticket, to and fro? It could still be possible if all the Good-Samaritan contribute :-)

Regretfully no, I would not be able to go. It is too far to justify to my DH and I know its not an interest he would share in. We try to do things together. But it sounds so fun!

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

I voted Yes, because I live the idea, and I love Dave's garden and all the friends I have met here. There is plenty of time to save and arrange for it. God willing I will be there.
Josephine.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes... but many factors would be involved in a definite yes. Distance, hotel, time off, etc, etc.

I would love to go though!!!

Charlevoix, MI(Zone 4b)

If it were held in Memphis, I could drive. I could also rent a big ol' van and anyone on the route (or slightly off) that wanted to hitch a ride would be welcome.

Michelle in Michigan

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I voted yes, I will be there. Still mostly depends on certain factors but I will make every effort I can to be there.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Miss work AND spend money on a trip? (Oh, I guess that would normally be called a vacation, (LOL!) but that's a foreign word to me and my family!)

A nice idea, but not one that fits into our budget:(

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

God willing and the creek don't rise. I'll be there.

Anne

Sad to say too far away ...but I hope it eventuates for you all good luck!
chrissy

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We would be interested and likely to come. Awaiting more details.

Brigham City, UT(Zone 5b)

My Sweetheart has told me for over 32 years that he is going to take me to Texas. He spent over 2 years there before we were married and he says he wants to take me there. Well, why not for the expo? (Except he is not a gardener). No matter when it is, some/most of us will have to get someone to care for our gardens at home. I would love to come, but, still not fully committed, I would have to see the agenda.
I would help plan if you can think of anything I can do from home.
Marie

YEA, My sweetie just said sure when I asked him if he will take me. :)

This message was edited Jan 7, 2008 2:16 PM

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

This is from the link posted above. Hopefully, it will give you some help.

Quoting:
Ok guys and dolls, We have already been contacting convention bureaus, hotels, gardens, lots of things. They don't even want to discuss it with us without an estimate of attendance. Since this is the first time, we have no history to fall back on. The more that attend, the lower the price. Don't expect the "gate" price to be much of anything. Will be drawing from our membership for forums, etc. Full service hotels provide breakfast with the room rate. They also provide free shuttles from airports. The larger number of rooms that are blocked for us, the cheaper the bed rate. Would possibly have pre-fix dinners on Friday and Saturday to lock in the cost. Some garden tours accomodate large numbers, some don't. You can see the delima. We have not been sitting still waiting for magic to put this together. Vendors will not participate if the numbers are small. You can understand it is expensive for them and they use their monies judiciously. This is a lot more complicated than an RU. Hopefully it will be equally laid back and fun. The vote starts Monday, Jan. 7th. Remember, no matter what a vote is for, your one vote can make the difference.

Happy New Year! See you in 2009. (that is face to face)

Christi

Waxahachie, TX(Zone 8a)

I'll go: if we can have it on the moon so everyone's traveling distance is the same.

...if the facility has a smoking area on the premises.

...if we can have a parade the morning before.

...if Coors or Jim Beam is one of the sponsors AND they supply free "refreshments".

...if dogs and kids have free admission.

...if everyone comes to my house afterwards for the after party.

No, but seriously, I'll come if I know soon enough in advance. So, hurry up and let me know! Dang!

Nevada, TX(Zone 8a)

Barring the unforeseen, I would definitely go. I'm in Texas, so anyplace within 500 miles of Dave would probably be the same for me. I don't mind driving. I've been known to drive up to 4 hours to visit a good nursery, and drive cross country once or twice a year. I'd also be willing to share the ride with someone. (or two)
Dallas/ Fort Worth would be a great location. There is the Dallas Arboretum and Fort Worth Botanical Gardens. Lots to see and do besides gardening. Would also be willing to drive to Memphis. I see several people show an interest in that area as well.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Like so many others, for me it depends on where, when, etc. Too many IFS to say for certain right now.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

As the same with others...will depend on location....what a great idea though!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love our Mid Atlantic get togethers!

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Would attend if at all able - which means cost, location, schedule, etc. But am certainly interested! Would be great to see DGers from all over the country!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

For many, I definately understand that circumstances may prevent you from coming, but for many that are saying it depends on cost, getting off from work etc...we are talking 2009...over a year of planning and preparation time. As Jo (Roadrunner) said above, I will fill my cup with spare change, coupon savings, whatever...its amazing how much you can gather up in over a year! This is something I know I would enjoy, and having had the pleasure of meeting SOME DGers, my DH will enjoy it as well. If it is only for a few days, or a weekend, our gardens will be ok...pet and child sitters can be arranged...

If enough of us want to do it, it will be done. Somehow. The committee is working very hard to keep costs down and interesting activities up. I don't care if I am sharing a tent with 12 other DGers, or in the Ritz in a penthouse suite, I will be there...I will find a way.

Magnolia, NJ

none at this time

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

For us cost and distance is definitely a factor. We would have to be able to plan well in advance as I don't believe driving would be a good option for us. And I have to make arrangements on this end for my furbabies for that length of time.

Santa Fe, NM

I think it might be possible but I would need to combine it with other vacation activities. If you are asking if I Would go if I Could go, then, yeah. The price of gas would matter to me. Also not sure if D.H. would be interested unless it took place in an area with movie theaters, good food ( altho he eats everything but shellfish ) and internet connections. Hard to know much about 2009.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Too far away. DG has members all over North America. What about a more central location?

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

MAY I EMPHASIS ONCE AGAIN. NO LOCATION HAS BEEN DETERMINED.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.