Dave's Garden Party

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)
There are a total of 590 votes:

Yes- no matter the cost
(60 votes, 10%)
Red dot

Yes, but only if __________ (please tell us what it is)
(281 votes, 47%)
Red dot

I'm sorry, there's no way I could attend
(240 votes, 40%)
Red dot

I don't like this idea at all (please tell us why)
(9 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Crossville, TN

Well...I just learned of a Gourd Festival in TX about the middle of Oct. HMMMM...When is Dave's fall RU in Bryan? .LOL Jo

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Last year it was in early November. They have one in Dallas in October, too.

Crossville, TN

Now if South West Air will let me get off for a few days as I fly through Dallas on my way to Nashville....LOL Jo

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

The ID isn't Roadrunner for nothing! LOL!

Crossville, TN

You got that right, SheilaFW....remember what a time I had with your name when we were at Dave's RU? JO

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Just call her NOT CJ.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

It would be even worse now Jo, my hair is straight like CJ's now! LOL! She and I will have to get togather on what to wear to the next RU!

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Did I hear my name? Hallo out there! LOL!! Sheila, my hair is so short now I could pass as a boy. A very old boy!

I just read this thread, wondering what was going on. I felt the frustration in the posts. And I am not trying to stir this thing up again - it was really painful to know about all of the work that had gone into it. But I gotta say something. I am currently on the planning committee for the Texas Master Gardener Conference, to be held the latter part of April this year. We have been working on this for a year. Our first organizational meeting was last January and we have met at least once a month since, with all the work going on in between those meetings. It has been huge. We have put together what we think will be a wonderful conference with something for everybody. But we have no idea how many will come. We can hope, and pray, but there are no guarantees. If there are not enough, it would simply have to be canceled. Granted, we do have that "history". But - what I want to point out is - everybody knows where and what, on which they can base their decision. (In our case they also know how much, because we are able to guesstimate based on history.) Even though the where and what was not written in stone for this get together, if we had been given an inkling of the possibilities as put forth by Drapelady http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4381478, decisions could have been made. To ask will you go somewhere and do something, sometime is just too hard to answer. I live within that 500 miles, and I love going to the RU, and I love the DGers, and Dave is just the greatest, but I needed to know more to make a decision, so I didn't. Why couldn't a possible (probable?) scenario have been presented? I'll bet that if you took a vote today, you would get different answers. I also agree with Silverfluter. Plan the thing, take who comes, and then next year (or whenever) go from there. You have to start somewhere. That is what we did, and now, depending on which county is hosting our event and their space allowances, we often have to limit the number of registrations. That could easily have been your scenario too. Having regional Dave's parties is also a good idea. That's where you start, and then before you know it, you are going national. If that's what you want to do. But by that time, you will have your "history".
And trust me, planning these things takes a village...
For what it's worth....

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

Well I read some really positive input this am. Glad to know the idea is only tabled. I've not ever been involved in organizing anything like this, but I'm glad somebody had the ambition, time, and guts to try. I think the ideas flying around are exciting possibilities. Every RU I've been to so far has been bigger and better that the one before and it's only logical that a convention will take place someday. It's just a big step to take from where we are right now.. It does take a lot of investment of somebody's time and money. If the company that owns DG now could read this (maybe they are) we could get some backing from them in the future. I'm sure Dave didn't know what his little seeding trading website would turn into, but look at it now. The convention will happen someday and be really awesome.

Thanks much to the committee for working so hard behind the scenes. It would be nice if we could keep collecting ideas for now and maybe have it in 2010. In the meantime I think it would helpful to work on ways to market DG better. Not that I know how to do that, but I know lots of others do. I can atleast put the bumper sticker on my car.:)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Like the way ya think silver!! :-)

Remember me if you guys ever need a volunteer here in North TX.. for a committee or any event. I have a pretty decent Butterfly Presentation and a really nice Sharp OH Projector that will cast a 20-30 ft. screen. Just give me as much notice as possible, and somewhere to plug in.

debnes

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Lou.. Mitch.. committee members. I would suggest that you don't give up on this idea. Don't spend every minute of your days on it, but keep working on this goal. Fine tune it. it not an undertaking that can be done set-up and fully orhanized in a afew weeks or month.

You got all those votes, think only 1% said they won't come. You have before you a list of those who wil come and an even bigger list of the If's. Now take those if's and put them into a workable design and plan. Then when just the committee has everything set and organized , put up a bigg banner with all the info, time place, where, attractions, events and such and then about 6-8 months before the eventual time start a banner about it.

Looking at what going on, I would plan a small convention for about 50 people. it's a place to start and now folks at least all know about it and can start saving and planning with the idea at least in the back of their heads. hey if more show up, don't worry about it, everybody wil just crowd a little bit closer together. we all gardener's , we all know what dirt and sweat smells like. LOL I raided my son's football piggy bank to start savign for it, cuz I feel this will come to fruitation.

Something, that you may or may not have realized, is that even just the postign of the idea has brought alot of together here at Daves' that hadn't even met. new friendships and conversations are flowing . Wasn't that part of the whole idea? Well ya got a beginning. You have opened a door to communication. The physical part will just take a bit more time is all.

Some said... Texas a friendly state. If somebody here having a RU why not , if ya feel like it and are capable, open your Ru to anybody that wants to come. You might find, ya have a lot of folks from different aras and different parts, ya haven't met that still wouldn't mind traveling and tradding plants, seeds, stories and some friendly hospitality.

This idea has brought forth alot of people from all areas. I myself see folks I didn't know yet that while far from me they not so far, that maybe when things do get organized that a bunch of us couldn't car pool or rent a small van and all pile in. I think others are realizing the same things.

Dave may have put a hold on the idea for the moment. I could be wrong in this , but i think some of it because of all the if's, so I ask that you keep working as your time allows and then when it all finished to be presented , then bring it backup. Once you all have the first format set, and hold it, then that work can be used to one either in the same place and watch it grow, and it will provide the foundation to do ones set up in other areas.
Everythign has to start someplace, you had an idea that now a grain of sand. Work now to take that grain of sand and tun it into a brick an let it be the corner foundation of a Dg national garden party.

Not sure who reading where so gonna put this on both threads.

Still hoping for a steak and listenign to the "compost Carolers". : )

(Cathy), MO

I'm with you starlight. Since all this started, I've talked to several in MO who never even saw the vote. I don't think it would be a problem to get several from this state alone, to carpool down.
Crossing my fingers and starting my piggy bank too!!!

Weslaco, TX(Zone 9b)

I would love to attend,but I can't afford it ! First,Iam a widow living on S/S. Second, My 9cats & a dog would have to be kenneled. Too much money! Sorry,I will have to decline.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Mommie...this is a "Dead" issue.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Please Connie, Couldn't we just say "tabled for now". I still have hope! ;>)

Dallas, TX

Poor Mommie, I feel ya! I work fulltime , get SS and two pensions and I still have a hard time with only two cats.

Yeah Connie, you are mean! LOL Abrupt and to the point! LMAO

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Hey...I was just quoting Dave....I think he's the one who said that! :-) I was actually being sarcastic...kinda! :_)
I was pushing HARD for it!!

Dallas, TX

LOL Connie are you going to the CSRU in April?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

No....I just got back from being in Santa Fe for 5 days. That's my "fling" for awhile...until school is out. Are you going?

Dallas, TX

I swear, I have no choice, but to go! lol

Fountaintown, IN(Zone 5b)

Aw, come on Dave...500 measly miles, in a 3000 mile wide country, by I don't know how many miles north to south!

You could at least pick a central location like St. Louis, which has good interstate, air and rail access, AND the beautiful Missouri Botanical Garden...not to mention a world-class zoo, the Arch, and other attractions for family who don't have or want a green thumb.

Really, I think the 500 mile limit for Dave might be a deal breaker for a lot of us.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Now, St Loius I could do! Great suggestion.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I enjoy St Louis Botanical Garden. I go every chance I get. They have lectures and lessons also. I can't believe this post is still going!!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Birder....ditto! :-) Guys, I hate to disappoint you, but this idea is over and done with. We all got excited about it and then it didn't "make." Maybe in another 5 years? :-)

Staten Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Love to come! Should we wear something to know each other?
I will wear a straw hat w/ ferns, flowers, birds..etc!!
Chuckle!!!!
What would anyone else design? A pin, corsage, hat, clothing?!?!
Let's hear!!!!!! = D
=^.^=

Thumbnail by trees4me
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

We would come.

Haldawani, India

I am sorry, it will not be possible for us to attend.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.