Dave's Garden Party

(Zone 1)
There are a total of 590 votes:

Yes- no matter the cost
(60 votes, 10%)
Red dot

Yes, but only if __________ (please tell us what it is)
(281 votes, 47%)
Red dot

I'm sorry, there's no way I could attend
(240 votes, 40%)
Red dot

I don't like this idea at all (please tell us why)
(9 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Port Vincent, LA(Zone 8b)

This message was edited Jan 9, 2008 6:47 PM

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

That would have been a very extravagant weekend and loads of fun. But shouldn't the first one be simpler? If the first one was that great, the second one would have a lot to live up to. All that luxury is wonderful, but something simpler would still bring alot of people together.

Port Vincent, LA(Zone 8b)

What is wrong with a luxury weekend with a bunch of us in our DG tshirts. Geez, theres nothing wrong with having a nice weekend.

Thank you all for your efforts on this. Just so you guys know, if I would have read that post, I would give a resounding YES. I was a 'no' before because I hate interstates and hate flying, but this would be too wonderful to pass up no matter where it was held!

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

You're right there isn't anything wrong with a luxury weekend, except that it is more complicated to arrange and more expensive to pay for.

(Cathy), MO

I agree, we should have had more information before voting. I think if most of the people who voted NO knew where and price ideas etc, they would have changed their votes in a heartbeat. And I think alot of us voted Yes__if, because we never know what's going to happen tomorrow. It was more a "Yes, unless an emergency comes up". I for one, don't feel like the whole thing got a fair trial. We should have had more information and the voting should have been for longer than 1-2 days.
Just my 2 cents worth. I was getting really excited about the whole idea and several of us from MO, were already talking about car pooling. And I just found out about the idea this morning!!!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

If a location had already been chosen, why couldn't that information be shared? I think that would have helped with the poll, as well. Oh, well . . . maybe next year . . .

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Guys there is no next year, thank you for all the kind words but this will not be tried again for several years at best.

We really liked Grapevine - but we were still looking too, there are so many places we thoguht about and talked to.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Next year - or whenever - if a place is decided on, let people know. Grapevine would have been to far for me at this time, but I'll bet the people up in OK, CO, upper LA, etc would have voted more.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

So sad to hear the plans have taken the wrong path and everything is cancelled. Still need to go read Dave's notice....
I was being very silent because it was getting nervous about the negative input. Maybe down the road we can have something a bit larger than a RU, beginning in TX and then pull in the States around us. Who knows maybe five years down the road, others will see the potential. We have a lot of talented folks on Daves that can hold workshops for photography, butterfly raising, native plants, garden crafts, composting, landscape design.....etc.
Many many thanks to the tireless committee members. I retire at the end of May and would have offered my help in any way. Drapelady thanks for the verbal vision you have shared, it was great to dream with you.
Sheila_FW

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

There will always be negative input on any discussion. The wise thing to do is ignore it.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

A bit late to do that now.

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Mitch, stop with the "it will never happen" 's please. Speak for yourself. Maybe you don't want to be involved, but someone else may have been inspired to want to take up the torch.

I really don't think this was given a fair chance at all. Expecting people to commit to something they have no vision of, as drapelady so eloquently provided after the fact is just ridiculous.

Basically, what was said is "We want to have a get together. We don't know where or when and we can't tell you anything about what it would be like, but we have to know how many people will definitely be there before we can tell you what we're doing."

I agree with silverfluter that it sounded wonderful, but the first one should be simpler. You keep saying "never" but maybe it just can't take place in that form. Why can't it grow into that vision? I say revisit it in a year. You may not want to think about it now because of the emotions, but give it a little time and some perspective and perhaps you'll feel better.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Pepper - we would all love to see this happen, all of us in this poured our heart and soul into this. Maybe it is the raw nerves in this speaking and if so I am wrong, I would love to have this happen - love to have this happen.

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8b)

Regardless of what Mitch said, NO ONE (with the authority) is saying that this may never happen. In fact, for all anyone knows, we could revisit this issue in the near future.

Let me say again:

No one is saying that an event will never take place. No one is discounting it forever and ever.

While Debbi's vision is inspiring, it is not reality in as much as a destination had NOT been decided. Just as recently as yesterday, ideas were still flying through the air. To say that we had already made firm plans makes us all into liars, as we've been saying this whole time that nothing was set in stone.

I'll say that again:

NOTHING was set in stone.

Feel free to have get togethers. There is nothing stopping groups of people getting together without all of the commercialization of vendors and such. Expand your round-ups. Have lots of fun, and take lots of pictures. We all enjoy "visiting" via DG.

(Zone 1)

I know there is a lot of sadness and disappointment in the Garden tonight but I really think the Garden Party WILL take place at some time, some day. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be in 2009 ... we can't totally give up on the idea.

(Zone 1)

Well said, Trish!

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Very true - infact out of this already in the Texas forum we are talking about a mixed gathering with other gardners, people are already thinking about maybe getting vendors... would be fun.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I was one that unfortunately would be unable to attend but wondered at only 600 plus votes, versus the large DG membership.

Quoting:
our total number of members to 343,616. We have 6,630 paid subscribers.

There does not appear to be a lot of viewing traffic right now and I wonder if the poll response might have been sent out to each member via their email (like the newletter is sent) for a different exposure and result.

West Central, FL(Zone 9b)

Excellent observation and idea Podster!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I just noticed the poll today. I voted "no" because I'm in part time law school (plus full time work) and would only be able to attend if it was between semesters. Not knowing a date means I can't say one way or the other. Cost would not be much of an issue for us. I hope the idea gets re-floated in future. I'd certainly enjoy going if it were between semesters (or after 2011, which is estimated finishing date for school). Dang it, why did I start this 4th degree anyway...I don't even really need it. Sigh. Always making life more difficult for myself!

With regard to viewing traffic, I use DG a LOT less in the middle of winter here in Iowa. Not exactly prime gardening time.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

You sound like some perennial students I know (LOL) but fortunately, they are finally through with school (I hope).

There will be time for lots of different kinds of fun for all DGers.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well, for those that live right there so it won't cost you anything to attend, have fun. Let us all know what you decide for the rest of us. Come to think of it, nobody has told us what the curriculum is to be at this meeting. How do you even know if you want to go?

LOL, maybe I just didn't read all of this thread.

Jeanette

(Zone 1)

The party has been officially called off for the time being: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/803138/

Stratham, NH(Zone 6a)

I hardly feel this discussion/trial/primary was given a whole lot of time.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Just because the original idea had a less than desirable outcome should not doom it. I believe there are some worthy things to be learned:
Have 2 or 3 scenarios that people can reflect on - they don't have to be set in stone as they are IDEAS. Include time of year - location - general costs (ballpark).
Give people more time to respond.

I did read the entire thread as I was curious to see the response & reasoning.
It sounded like a great idea, but it was too nebulous for many. Look again at the number of respondants for each response, and reconsider from those viewpoints.

It is my opinion that you should not give up on this. Rather, approach it with the same enthusiasm AND with a more realistic assessment of the results.
Retool! Don't be discouraged just because the outcome was different from what you expected.
Thanks so much for your efforts & the best to you!

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm just going to copy and paste my response from the other thread here:

Wow, even though I probably would not have been able to come next year (who knows, things can always change), I'm really sorry to see idea called off so quickly. I agree with Pepperkeeper's statements...too many if's and unknowns and only 2 days to vote? I feel this was a bit unfair to the subscribers who don't check in every day and definitely unfair to the folks who put in so much effort to begin the planning. Shouldn't the votes have been given at least a week? How much time do we give to voting on our photography contests and don't we allot that much time so that there is a fair assessment?

You guys on the committee worked hard and it's appreciated, even by those of us who may not have been able to come (but might have changed our minds as the time drew closer). I know that's not what you want to hear but that's probably realistic for a lot of us. Personally, I'm the type who may be a 'No' up until a month before and then end up rallying a group and renting a bus or a van...I just never know with myself.

Kudos to the efforts...each and every one of you.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Sorry but imo, putting something out tentatively and asking for opinions is not a feasible way to arrange a large convention type affair. A date and location needs be booked, speakers and seminars confirmed travel agents contacted and then information put out for reservations. There is always going to be a difference of opinion and some who can not attend. I used to breed and show budgies, for example, and each year, there would be a national show. It was in a different area of the country each year and nothing was announced until everything was in concrete. It would be difficult to believe that with something like 20000 members in Texas alone, that only 37 people would attend. If "Daves" is serious about putting on something like this, "Build it and they will come".

(Zone 1)

Dave is not the one who was putting this on ... it was a few wonderful members who began the discussion. This Garden Party was being planned by a committee of DG'ers - all volunteer who were going to be doing all the work with setting this up for the rest of us. The committee members stressed over and over that they needed a tentative head count of attendees before any arrangements could be made. No companies (hotels, conference centers/rooms etc) would even talk to you without a tentative number of attendees. The voting was just to try and see how many folks would think they could come to the event.

I think next time there should be a thread for voting only yes or no ... make it impossible to post comments if that is possible ... just a yes or no box to check and a username. Have a separate thread for chat and comments.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Sorry to hear the news about the Garden Party. Regional RUs are fun but it would have been exciting to take the concept to a new level in 2009. Oh, well, as Trish says, the idea has not been tabled forever, just for the 2009 planning.

I tend to agree with Budgie though...getting a bit of 'buy in' from the members by inquiring about 'interests/speakers/activities' is a good thing to 'guide' planning, but setting some skeletal plans--place/date/format-- for the event in place, communicating the plans, and then marketing the event seems like an effective process to get the event launched.

Using this bolder plan to launch the Garden Party would require some start-up capital ($$) and lots of energy (and anxiety/hand wringing) up front to reserve a place, meeting rooms and speakers, etc. while waiting for the reservations to come in, and maybe that's where the rub is... There is an investment and risk of losing downpayments, etc., to do it in this manner and maybe not a risk/investment DG, Name Media and the volunteer organizers wants to take (given no track record for the Garden Party idea).

Well, the Garden Party was a fun and interesting idea and I think one of these days it will be launched.

And a big "Thank You!" to the organizers who put their time and energy into exploring the idea for 2009!

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

In "hobby clubs", members work all year to raise money to sponsor the event and the money comes out of the treasury to fund it. Then when the event takes place, the club earns back the money (or loses some) by charging vendors table space and the public admission fees. We also raised money by raffles, etc. I realize Daves is a commercial venture and not a hobby club but some of the same techniques could be applied. Perhaps the new owners could be approached about some "goodwill funding" to promote Daves' to the public. Most of us either stumble across this site by accident or are referred by friends and family. Extra publicity never hurt anyone.

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

It may not have been the outcome you wished to see but some really good ideas came out of this from your members.

This effort was definitely NOT wasted or unappreciated. And the year it finally happens we will all be thankful and remember fondly that LouC started it.

Thank you, LouC.

edited to add that my vote was YES, I would come no matter the cost, location or time.

This message was edited Jan 10, 2008 9:42 AM

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Having heard nothing at all about this I didn't vote. After reading through all the posts I was going to go back and vote, but it was gone! I was like most people and could not commit to a garden party somewhere, sometime in 2009.

I love the idea and would make every effort possible to come to a National DG Party. I am sorry to see the idea was discarded so soon, I thought there was great potential here.

I too, appreciate all the effort, time, and energy those of you on the committee spent on this. Truly it is not wasted, and will be of benefit in the future.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Good point Jan!
Maybe this year (2008) we need to focus on ways to promote Dave's, and see what we can do to up the membership.

When I am out in the market place and mention DG, more often than not, the people haven't even heard of it. If there seems to be any inkling of interest I take out a business card and jot down the url.

Maybe we could offer something like 25-50 free subscriptions for signing in as a new free member. Maybe have other small but irresistible prizes as well for a number of them. Show actual samples of the many forums... Maybe some or all of this has already been done.
We could possibly hold Regional membership fairs and get **vendors** and some **news coverage**. We have as much to offer in the world of home and plants as PBS, it works for them, and DG is a lot less $$. How much would a radio spot be? What about a commercial offering free subscriptions for every 10 people who call in with a gardening question on already established garden related radio stations. There must be ways of getting the word out that don't cost a lot. Just thinking out of my head here folks...

Meanwhile...I will keep doing what I can in my neck of the woods.
Very glad the idea for the BIG event has been put out there at least. I was one who said I would go no matter what.

debnes

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm sorry it has been postponed. I had to say yes, if.. but I would have tried hard! I hope it happens eventually, anyway. :-)

Thank you, committee folk, for all you did and hoped and ventured! We appreciate you more than you know. :-)

Waxahachie, TX(Zone 8a)

Deb is definately on the right track here!

Crossville, TN

Marylin.....don't rent my bed just yet...I hope it still happens and I get to visit you and your nice family again!! Jo

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

thx TJ!

Me too Jo!

Perhaps some of you might be thinking.."No one offered me anything special.. yada yada." Well, we have arrived already and opening up this world to some people can mean the world to them! Good leadership is based on not only our ability to arrive first, but how we take and pass it down as a servant afterward tells the truest of leaders.

I learned yesterday of how the Cedar Waxwings will gather on a berry tree and if the berries are scarce they take one and pass it down until the last in line gets a berry. The health, integrity and safety of the whole flock is dependent on this kind of first in line service. Isn't that the way of any great organization?

I had another idea offering new members a couple different packets of free native plant seeds for their state if they join. It's true that many of the best native plant seeds are obtained here and never ever sold in stores, and rarely online without spending at least $15. I would pitch in 100 packets of say Frostweed, and/or Texas Blue Mist...

When people see just how connected we are and how welcome they are, they will come running. :-)

debnes

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

You are such a sweetheart Debness.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.