Seed Swap Plant List

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Cathy - Here is a photo of my dwarf Powder Puff bush! I love it and so do the bumble bees!

Thumbnail by beckygardener
South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Ooohhh, that is so darling! The Calliandra seeds that sprouted last week are C. eriophylla, which are grown more out west, from what I gather. But I will try them here.
Went to Office Depot tonight to get another binder for all my seeds!!!
Going away for 5 days next week, so I'm not letting myself start any more seeds til I get back. I sure did want to get planting tonight!
I am looking forward to the next seed swap, and I really can't think of any constructive criticisms to help the swaps get better. The only thing that would really be helpful I think is to spread the work out a little, that was a really an enormous amount of work for one SuperBecky.
Everyone was so generous and helpful, it has just been so nice. When spring arrives, there will be so many nectar and host plants in the new butterfly garden, it will be a mecca in Venice! I'm aiming to send a honkin' big envelope of goodies to the next swap.
Thanks again, Cathy

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Tah-dah! I finally was able to get online to say I received my seeds right before dinner time (mail was really late today) and WOW! Becky, you did a tremendous job! I love everything I got!!!!

Thanks, too to all the people who sent in all the seeds...Sheila in FW, I received some poppy seeds of your. Pink with lettuce leaves. Have you posted a photo of those online before? Something is ringing a bell....I'm going to have a billion of them next year!

Becky, Thanks again!
Suzy

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes I may have posted one before. Here is a pic taken a couple years ago.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Agreeing with Cathy here....... Next year we might split up the work somehow. You know I could handle half of it from here. We have a year to figure out how. Either that or I could do the whole thing from here.

Becky~ I don't know how anyone could have done it better.... and I'm not just 'being nice'. You know I would tell you if there was a problem, there just weren't any. :-) The only thing you did do was make it extra hard to follow you and do it AS good, forget better, LOL! (Not gonna happen!)

debnes

Shot of Sungold Buddleja this afternoon:

Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Beautiful pic of the Poppies Sheila!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, I love the gold Buddleja. I got a lot of your seeds in my packet. I will be asking about when to sow them later I am sure!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Oooo-oooh-eeeee! I was hoping thed'd be the same ones!

I want to also remind anybody who was ulcky enough to get Butterfly Bush seeds that they bloom the first year form wintersowing! Yes, it's true -- they will bloom in 3 months from seed!

Becky, There is not one thing you could have done better. That was the fastest swap I've ever seen as far as turnaround time goes. The links were so far above and beyond the call of duty that I'm still amazed you did that for us! It is hard for the northerners to figure out what you guys are talking about when you post photos, so the links were extra, extra nice for that reason.

I have a good plant for next year I didn't realize I had -- Pearly Everlasting - Anaphalis. I thought I lost it, but it was just eaten to the nubs and just now coming back. It's host for Painted Lady & Am Painted Lady, which makes sense because in October I had so many I actually had to wave them away to walk in my backyard. I'm sure I had 3 dozen and I think they all eclosed at once. It's actually a decent garden plant (as opposed to a weed). Next year I shall make sure I get lots of seed.

Suzy

Thank you to everyone for the nice compliments on how I managed this swap. I've been in quite a few group swaps and got ideas from all of them. Which I combined to make this swap a good one! But there is ALWAYS room for improvement or other ideas! :-)

I wanna give everyone a few tips that I learned from doing my first seed bed this past year. Have patience ... LOTS of patience with seeds. I am just now getting plants from seeds I sowed in April. Apparently, they needed cooler weather to grow in. And many plants that are perennials die back, but will return in the spring, so be careful when you remove dead stems and leaves that you don't pull up the roots, too!

AND ... this was VERY IMPORTANT to me this year from my first experience. I used plant markers so I knew what I had planted and where. BUT IT DIDN'T WORK FOR ME!!! The dog, the squirrels, and the weather pulled up, knocked over, or washed away those markers. My new trick ... draw a picture/diagram of the seed bed and name or number what bed it is. Then mark out on paper what seeds were planted where on the diagram/layout of the garden. I did many revisions as well of each garden bed. When something failed to germinate, I planted something new in the same location. But I learned that it was a good idea to keep the old diagrams. Because ... some plants take MONTHS to germinate. And then they come up and you either think they are a weed or don't know what the heck they are! LOL! But if you look back at all the revisions to that seed bed, you can figure out what it is! Keep it all in your binders for future referencing. Works like a charm! Just a suggestion of mine! Good luck! I look forward to seeing everyone's seed beds next year when the plants are grown and flowering! It will be such fun to see how everyone's new garden beds turn out! And remember ... do it the NO DIG way ... I love lasagna beds! The only way to go! :-) :-) Happy sowing and growing, everyone!!!

This message was edited Nov 29, 2007 12:37 AM

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Suzy!! Put me down for some of that as soon as it comes available. I'm sure I can pull out a surprise for you as well in trade. I saw more APLs than PLs this year, and I thought that was odd since PL has at least 100 different host plants they will use, and APL uses only about a dozen. I need to document them for my records, and having the pearly will help me do that.
:-)

We cross posted sister, lol..
Thanks for all the great tips... I agree, don't give up, good seeds do come up! The chart thing is definitely the way to go too! You can't count on markers staying put, even if you have an areospace marking pen, if the dog digs it up your still lost without a chart, lol!

Oh and Suzy is right about the Buddleja, they come up fast and bloom like crazy.

This message was edited Nov 28, 2007 11:53 PM

This message was edited Nov 28, 2007 11:54 PM

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Becky, I don't think perfection can be improved on. It wasn't just the seed swap itself that was so great, it was the way you kept us all informed on what phase it was in. All those hyperlinks were so helpful to me as a nubie,and asking for wish lists, well,it forced me to really pay attention to how it all was working. The results were beyond my expectations.

"A Job Well Done and Big Kudos to You"

LU

Georgetown, IN(Zone 6a)

I agree with Posy!!

Here is a copy & paste of a d-mail that I got from a newbie who received some of the left-over seeds from our swap:
Becky -
Wow - I'm so excited - the seeds came! All 21 varieties! I'm so thankful for all your hard work in organizing the swap. Next year I hope to have something other than milkweed when the time comes! I'd better start a new b-fly garden now so it will be ready for the seeds next spring. Less grass - more butterflies! Heavenly thought...
Thank you again.
Nancy

This message was edited Nov 29, 2007 6:34 PM

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

My seeds came! Thanks so much for all of your hard work Becky! Getting my milk jugs lined up for wintersowing next month!!!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Me too!

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

My gosh Becky,this is fun. I come in here 4 or 5 times a day just to see who has received seeds.What will I do with myself when the seed swap is over? Spring planting is a long way off;))

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Are you going to winter sow, Lucille? Now that's something to look forward to this winter.

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

I most certainly am going to winter sow Deborah. Just like Melody, I have my plastic gal. milk containers just about ready to plant the seeds. I saved the humus from last year to plant the seeds in. Don't let me plant them too soon!!! End of December? I have that info here somewhere.

Have you winter sown before? I can't remember if you posted that you did. Maybe I do have enough to do even if it is just watching seeds and Brugs grow:>))))

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Any time after Dec 21st is good for your area. I wait until the middle of January or so. Last year was my first year for everything relating to gardening. Except raising BF's that was this year..

Here is another d-mail I received today from another newbie that benefited from our swap:

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW Is all I can say!!!!!!!!!! OMG, I just got your package in the mail and I am at a total loss for words here! These is the most amazing assortment of seeds anyone could ever ask for!!!! And the description of what they are and the packaging is awesome! I don't think that THANK YOU would even come close to saying what I want to say in words!!!!!! YIPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEE Sissy will have all the butterflies and himmers next year!!!!!

Simply AMAZED!
Mistygardener!!!

I still have 3 envies left to send to newbies. If you know of someone on this forum, have them d-mail me! :-)

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I'll plant sometime in Jan. I've got way more stuff than I can possibly get done before then.

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

I got it! I got it! And it is absolutely wondeful! Thank you soooo much Becky. There are so many seeds, I am going to be a planting fool this spring. This was an awesome swap and you did a terrific job!

:) Kim

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

You gals are having way to much fun. Like lil kids in a candy store. LOL : )
~Lucy

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

oh that is so true. I love big plants swaps

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

WAh! I still haven't got mine!

P

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I am so deeply touched and impressed by this cache of seeds. Donna! the amount of Passionflower seeds!! WOW! My DD (Val) will have PV this year!! and Plantain Melody!! Yes!! It is just incredible you guys!! (((All)))

I know a few of you may not be religious, neither am I... however I have to say this is better than communion. It brings communion to a whole other level. A real God thing for me.. I thank Him for each of you. I will remember all of you this swap forever.

Deeply touched!

Hey! I know I am a bit mushy, deal with it, LOL!!

debnes

Debnes, the spirit of giving in this swap knocked me over too! I am so happy to be a part of it and look forward to being able to give more in the next swap.
Cathy

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm glad somebody "got" me on this Cathy. You nailed it with the word "spirit"!

It's downright spiritual!

debnes

No matter what you call it, it is GOOD!

I can't wait to start seeds of those lovely Butterfly Bushes you sent :-)

Cathy

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Mine are here too! WOW, that is one FAT envelope! I can't wait to tear into it... and yet, I must get some of these crocus bulbs into the ground before dark (750 C. vernus and 1000 snow crocus... what was I thinking?)... I'll plant all the faster knowing the feast that awaits my eyes!

Wow, that is a LOT of bulbs! I bet you will have a blast sorting through those seeds. I've been going back through the master list that Becky posted above, clicking on the links and looking at the pics. Such fun!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL Jill! Don't ask me, I'm on overload too. bitin' off way more than I can chew... And I still have to have just one more thing...

You'll get them in and they will be gorgeous!!

We WILL plant all our seeds if we have to just throw them down... Sometimes they come up better with that method anyway.

I'm a happy gardener today, just snagged myself 5 more Butterfly and Flower books from half-price books. :-D Three sections I take a quick look at in that store on a regular basis... Texas Gardening, Animal and Insect Biology (entomology), and Texas Regional sections.

debnes

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Actually, I think that's about what I was thinking, "I'll get them in, and they'll be gorgeous!"

:-)

Planting the giant crocus is going quickly. The area is all tilled up (it's where I just put in 200 daffodils), so I'm just pushing the crocus bulbs down into the dirt.

Do butterflies like crocus? LOL Actually, I think crocus flowers are one of the few that are completely gone by the time butterflies show up here.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I think you're right about that... However a certain crocus is where Saffron is harvested from (the stamens).. I'd like to know a bit more about that. I use Saffron, and its pretty expensive.
First time I planted crocus a few years ago, I planted the bulbs up-side-down, lol.

duh :-

I am so glad to hear how pleased everyone seems to be with their new seeds! I am thinking about doing the "just fluff up the ground a bit and throw down some seeds" to see what happens. :-)

I don't know if we are going to get much of a winter here. We had a very mild one last year and this year already seems warmer. We've yet to have any really cold evenings/days. My garden is over grown and new sprouts are coming up all over the place from all the Fall blooms that have been dropping seeds.

I'll tell ya Deb... Being outside with nature is about as close to God that I feel I can get. There really is something spiritual about the plants, butterflies, birds, just everything!!! I can't get that peace of mind from doing anything else. :-)

Here is a photo taken today as I released 2 Monarchs. When I saw this photo, it took my breath away! By the grace of God this brief moment was caught on camera for me to look at indefinitely! :-)

Thumbnail by beckygardener
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I love saffron crocus! I planted a hundred or so bulbs along my front walk, and they did really well for a couple of years, but I had fewer blooms this fall... I don't know if it was the rough weather we had this summer, or voles munching, or what. I think I've heard that saffron crocus isn't quite as hardy and persistent as some of the other species. But I put another hundred bulbs in this fall, as I just can't be without it! I love those purple blooms popping up just as everything else in the garden is going to sleep. And fresh saffron really does taste delightful, although you probably won't harvest enough to make it profitable. Some years, rain at the wrong time has ruined my chances of picking many of the stamens (they seem to bruise if the flowers get storm pounded). I think they're worth growing even if you never taste one... but having fresh saffron is a definite bonus! Crush a few stamens into a cup of warm milk and honey... oooohhh...

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Awesome pic Becky. The colors are so vibrant

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow, I can't believe how they almost overpower the vibrant coloring of the Monarchs! They are dull by compairson! Great blessing there!

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

Mine seeds arrived today!! Thank you Becky!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I hear that Sheila!
They sure are, Donna! ~I meant to ask you~ Where did you get the little clear paper envelopes?

Becky~ That MG is the one I saw a few years back here in DG, and Laurie sent me some seeds for them.... awesome blue!! I had to have some. Since then I didn't manage to save any seeds and they aren't like the I. nil that reseeds like crazy.
They are indeed hypnotizing!! Been in love with MG ever since. I know just how you feel now. I mean the part of the view a camera can not reach.
;-S

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.