Cannas: CANNA ? ( Continued ) # 11

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Can't tell you how many times I've been asked to make a sign for a man..lol

The FIL makes a big deal about our oven temperature every time his wife takes over my kitchen...if it needs to be cooked a little longer than the package states, then clearly there is a problem with our oven--everything I make is just fine

course I don't cook meat, so like I really care how their ham or turkey or whatever turned out...which reminds me, I really should find one of those hotels with the kitchenette to stay in when they come here....Red do you have those problems with your MIL, you know , "That woman"

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

you know, I really did when we first had a baby - their first grandchild. OMg, they lived about 3 miles from us and stopped by ALL THE TIME - like every DAY. It really drove me crazy, I hate when people come over and my house is a mess, or there is laundry out. Or, if I've just put the baby to bed and am watching Big Brother with a humongous glass of wine and a bowl of cheese puffs!!! ha ha ha, thats MY business. But as time went on, I think we both mellowed, and they call now. Plus, we don't live just down the street. ** She's great now (except when she tells me what to cook - that still irritates the sheep out of me ) I usually just do what I want anyway. They are coming over Sun (along with my ma & pa) for dinner. So far, no one has told me what to cook :)

My oven works again !!! the temperature gauge was wonky, it would say it had preheated, but was barely warm.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

where in the Bell is Kell?

Georgia Greenhouse Goddess, any more pics to make us salivate?

and Pepper, where do you work, sorry I said nursery (blush) every picture looks amazing.

My dh is still in NYC, currently at a baseball game (sounding like he's had a few beers, lol) so I can enjoy the whole bed to myself for one more night. A shrimp in a king sized bed!

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

OK

I just typed a butt load of stuff and it didn't take. I'm not doing it again tonight! Hope you all are well, and were is Kell? Maybe went back to Papau?

This message was edited Sep 27, 2007 8:51 PM

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Paul - what happened,!!?? I hate when I type a novel and it gets lost !

rained like crazy last night here, I left the window open - I love that rain, fresh air ahhhh!

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

wow, its quiet today

What would you think if your neighbor had a tree like this facing your house?

This message was edited Sep 28, 2007 3:47 PM

Thumbnail by Redtootsiepop
Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

theres a hair in my beer!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

LOL....Red....uh-oh....look out

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

** will I get in trouble for the tree picture? ;( uh oh!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Just now getting on here. Nice pics red! lol.

Crazy, crazy day at work. From 10am on I had to clean the Visitor's Center because the guy called in sick with the stomach flu. Our other helper could only work til 10 then she had to go work the cafe. 5 field trips, several meetings, plant sale set-ups, plus visitors makes for a really messy building. I would dump trash, come back in a few and it would be full again. Tomorrow it is me and the other girl and we have 4 set-ups in the morning plus 2 other buildings and the VC to clean. lol. No quitting til 6pm for her and possibly me. I am tired and sore. lol

Well, have a sore finger now. I was out clearing a bed of weeds and wildflowers to ready for hosta and ferns and one had those spines or thorns or whatever they are on its stem and even thru the gloves one got thru to my finger. Not all of it is willing to come out but a little did. Not without pain though!! Still shuddering over it!

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

OUCH! darn, after a busy day you get a thorn - no fair!

Where do you work??? Wherever it is, it is Bizzzzzzeeeeeeeee!

I tried to pull one vine/branch from the passionflower vine last week (it was way overtaking the maple sapling next to it) without gloves, the next day I regretted that! Blisters on two fingers for a full week, I guess I should pay more attention when they say "parts of this plant are poisoness" !!

lol. The thorn was a fuzzy thorn. Small and very painful.

www.powellgardens.org

I work there.

This is another view of the first bed I posted pics of.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh Pepper - Powell Gardens is gorgeous, I just spent quite a bit of time on that website! How fantastic, I hope your finger feels better for tomorrow :)

Yep, it is a gorgeous place!! It's making my place more gorgeous too. I can get cuttings and free plants when I want or need to. We also have a plant sale going on this weekend and yesterday I bought 6 hosta-Island Charm, Carolina Jasmine-Margaurite, and a coreospise- Black Knight. Oh and a Ghost Fern. Might get a few tulips today if I find ones I like.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

pep, that's funny. I got 2 'black knights' at the DBG sale last weekend. Also got 3 phygelius capensis ; http://www.highcountrygardens.com/catalog/product/77610/
Also got Eustoma grandiflorum, symphyandra hofmannii, and digitalis yutenica (perennial foxglove). Had to get hemerocallis 'highland lord'. That fits in well with my scott-irish ego! LOL Got some scottish broom and some kind of veronica from jamesco at the plant swap. And also, rose campion, rudbeckia 'yard queen', euphorbia 'summer icicle', and white yarrow seeds from greenjay. Just got all my allium and narcissus bulbs, so will be quite busy in the garden. All my nicotania are in full bloom glory, and the cannas are doing great. Time for the first killer freeze any day now! This is most of what I posted the other day.
Pep, great pics. How cool to work in the gardens. Do you get to take some of the classes that they offer? Would think they would let you do that for free. That would be to cool. Just have to squeeze into an already busy schedule, eh? Do you guys get 'bull thorn' weeds. My cat is always dragging those into the house in his fur, and I'm always stepping on theose brutal little buggers!!!
Red, that tree pic is hilariuos! I've heard of hair of the dog, but that kitty pic brings to mind things that aren't printable here.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

LOL, my cats bring home all kinds of funky seeds in their fur this time of year. Yesterday morning I guess a mouse ran into the leaving room and my male cat caught it. I tried to open the door so he'd take it out, but he's skittish so he dropped it and ran off.....shudder...I hate dealing with that stuff

Classes aren't free but they are discounted. I take several a year. Always fun.

I bought a shade grass today and some tulips also. Will post names tomorrow. I was tempted to buy a pincushion but didn't know where to put it. I have to see what the sunny bed looks like next year before adding more plants to it.

My other sunny bed is just daylilies and peonies cause they don't need much water to thrive. They are in an old culvert well away from the house so I can't reach with the hose and don't water much. Still need daylilies for there and maybe another kind of peony. I have bowl of beauty there now.

Off for the night. Got home a little after 6 after working 11 hrs, went out to eat, and have been home 30 minutes. I am beat. lol

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Hope you survived another day Pep, it does sound like a great place to work - despite the loooong hours. Paul, you are going to be spending alot of time in your garden, you got alot of great things - it's pouring rain here, really mushy out.

Trop, our cat tried to bring a bird in this morning, my dd screamed and when Tiger looked over at her, the bird flew away (kinda wonky crooked flying, so I hope its ok). I hate all the dead feathers and wings left by the back door, I know he's trying to impress us, but yuck! I've got 3 bells on the little rascal - is there anything else you can do, if you have any ideas let me know .... besides keeping him in lol - he howls like crazy to go out. At least he's never brought a mice inside - gross, was it still alive?

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

It was alive, but not for long. Yesterday my daughter was playing outside and came running to me all freaked out --there was a little black snake up in the tree where she was playing around. I have pictures, just haven't loaded them yet...he wasn't too scary

Don't think there's anything you can do to keep the cats away from other critters, it's just nature. Mine would never tolerate a collar, much less bells.

Made it thru the day. lol. Just planted all the stuff I bought the other day then sat around all day. Too tired to do much else.

Both of my cats kill bugs and animals too but we only ask that they quit bringing them to the door.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

lol - I typed mice instead of mouse! :)

Good job Pepper, do you have any days off? It seems like you are always working! Oh, Trop I hate snakes, I don't blame your daughter. I've never seen one in the yard (but since there was a dead one in the street, I assume they are around). Maybe your cat will catch it.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

okay, well you all listened to me complain and moan about the parking strip / ripping all the sod out here's some pics

and the lawn needs to be cut, but it's been raining for the last 4 days ALOT!

heres from the front of the house

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

and heres from the south -facing side yard.... it's hard to take a shot, it's really looooooong Can't wait for it to fill in, and plant some more in the spring.

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

Wow--that looks great and it will just get better. Sure doesn't look like it does around here right now. Everything almost burned up this hot dry summer. Your grass is beautiful, too. SheVerne

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you SheVerne! (If you can't grow grass in Oregon, you have no business in the garden lol!)

Is it still hot/dry now? Wish you could share the sun, and I could give up some rain

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

My DH struggled with his fescue yard this summer but the heat just about did it in. We watered constantly also. Normally his grass is really pretty but not this year. He resowed today and it has cooled off lately so maybe he can resurrect it. What kind of grass do you have in your yard Red tootsiepop?

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Nice job red! That'l be worth all that hard work to enjoy that sight. I just read that Lake Superior is at its lowest level ever recorded. Expecting our first freeze this weekend, and trees are rapidly turning colors.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Good Job, Red! You did a very clean job with it all

brrr...first freeze....the thought makes me cold...lol....the leaves are already dropping here due to drought, but I imagine the colors will be bright this year

Love your gardens Red!!

We could use that rain too and are supposed to get it tomorrow. Yeah!!! Our grass is brown but probably will turn green again with the cooler weather. But only if we get rain. Last year we were mowing in Nov.

Yes Red, I am always working. LOL. Especially this month. Have carpets to clean, a coworker out sick since Thurs, details that need attention and not getting it, tractor show this weekend, next weekend I am off for a RU, 2 weeks from now I will be working all day and night Fri, and all night Sat for Spooktacular, then the last weekend I have to come in and clean carpets in one of my buildings.

Did I mention I was busy? I also have a concert to go to, family coming down this weekend, and starting this weekend we are fixing my grandma's basement. Have to dig it out, bring it out, brace it and whatever else needs done.

My back hurts, my feet hurt, my arms hurt. I am so tired I can barely think straight.

We had so many field trips coming thru, kids lost and found, classes, receptions, and weddings to deal with too.

It will get better once my coworker gets better. I have another coworker who helps when she cans but she also runs the grill in the cafe so can only work 3 hrs most days.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the nice comments - wow I can't believe how cold everyone is getting (I thought it was cold here - lol not even close)

PEPPER ! I hope they know how lucky they are to have you, I got tired just reading that laundry list of things to do !!!

2Vernes, You know - I should know what my grass is,but I have no idea, it was the only thing here when we moved in, lots and lots of grass. I didn't put it in, I just take it out! I hope your DH's fescue springs back to life, I bet it will.

Fescue is nearly impossible to kill. It has just gone dormant. When it cools off and rains again it will green up.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

gee thanks, I've killed fescue..lol...not the frst thing I've killed

really pep, you are working hard...making some extra garden cash :)

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

ha ha ha - you can put fescue in the list of "Plants I've Killed" by Red along with a host of others.

LOL. I live in the country and the grass never gets watered. It hasn't been arieated the whole 10 yrs we have been here. It is still alive and thriving. We only add seed every year because we have lots of trees and we want to fill in the thin spots.

I found out my coworker basically has an infection in the stomach. He had a sinus infection last week and it drained into his stomach and got infected. He was out again today and we think he might be out tomorrow too. My other coworker told him to eat yogurt so hopefully he is and will be back soon.

Oh, I will try to post pics again tomorrow. I am optimizing my computer hoping to speed it up so I don't want to mess with it tonight.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I actually had tried to grow some blue fescue....lol...still killed it though

lol...finally here's a picture of the terrifying snake

Thumbnail by Tropicanna
Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Trop, If I saw a snake that big, I would never go in the yard again !!!! Ours are about 6" - that thing looks huge!

Pepper - that stomach infection sounds nasty - is he on antibiotics? Hopefully he'll get the yogurt with acidopholus (sp?)

We haven't aerated or thatched before either Pepper, I was thinking I might in the Spring. Usually a service comes round that will do the neighborhood for cheap.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I don't think he was quite two feet long, not too scary, they can get so much bigger around here

I think the old man does some areation sometimes, but we have way too many weeds here with the big fields around our house

we harvested our pumpkin pie pumpkins

Thumbnail by Tropicanna

We have bigger snakes here. lol. I avoid them whenever possible. My mom has killed one that was the length of the width of the road. Scared her so bad she ran it over and over and over in her little car that she had at the time. lol.

I haven't talked to him but I assume he is on antibiotics.

Aerating will help make the grass thicker. At work it was just done recently. Spring time I think works too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.