Underwater Gardens #5

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

A Scuba Club Party is an excuse for us all to see each other as humans, not as funny faced fish. Keep in mind that most of the time when we see each other our faces have mask marks, we are totally bedraggled from a day on a boat, or we are getting ready to go out on a boat and we are in cover-ups and sun screen.

I thought this was an interesting shot...its the back end of a Long Nosed Filefish - but its the various types of coral that I found cool....you guys are sure gonna get bored with all my posts of "cool coral formations"!

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

You forget we are a bunch of people that get excited over seeing a seed germinate....no way will we get tired of your photos. So much magic and without your showing us we would never know it was there. Glad you had such a great time. Good day to rest.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Shari, I LOVE your coral pictures......keep them coming!

Christy, I loved your description of us.... "we are the kind of people that get excited over seeing a seed germinate".... I just found that to be all too accurate and hilarious.....welcome to the world of the garden geek.........

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Me too...I was cracking up....Hadn't really thought about it like that. When DH gets home from racquet ball I am going to have him find this picture he took of a weird plant in DD's yard - gonna need some help id'ing it ladies....so put your garden geek thinking caps on...and stay tuned....

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Lou, you have a way with words. Yeah, I have gotten quite the kick out of seeing a seed germinate. Those pictures are quite the delight. I remember taking a picture of a bunch of blue damsels in the Bahamas, a parrotfish in Aruba, etc. I have got to find those files so I can show them to you. It won't come anywhere close to Islandshari's wonders but I like to contribute. Now, where could these files be?

Sylvain.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

No, no....mine are mere "show and tell". John's are the magnificent ones! Sure hope he gets his modem fixed. Off to brunch with the family....see you kids on the flip side!

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

I love your pics, Shari, especially the ones with the little colored fish in them - I have a thing about those guys.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Well okay, I'm happy to comply....here is a grouping of Threeband Anemonefish, and Threespot Dascyllus....guess the 3's like to hang together!

Thumbnail by Islandshari
West Bay, Cayman Islands(Zone 11)

We have numerous file fishes here too Shari, this one, a Slender Filefish, is only about an inch long....

Thumbnail by caribblue
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

The angle of the shot is very unique. Would make a great print on the wall of a very hoity-toity modern loft.

J, We just gotta get you in print.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Your filefish is so cool John! And the detail you get is amazing...love the eye! Looks like the x's people put in cartoons for "out cold". Here is a little closer of the longnose....no wear near as clear as yours, but you get a better idea of the color than the last shot.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Not as much fun as yours but the closest we can get. My neighbor is the one with the big pond and about 100 koi.....every size. She feeds them 4 times a day from her hand. Went over yesterday and fed them with her. They will literally get into your hand. Now remember, I am the one with the previous experience of minnows on hooks catching crappie....and lures catching bass. This is a whole 'nuther area. The pictures make my heart sing.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Take a picture of the Koi Christi!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I will. Maybe when she feeds today.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

That will be fun!!

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Nothing like a fish eating from your hand - it's the funniest feeling! Would love to see those pics, Christi.

These aint fish...no hands involved...but, in a short time this cowrie is going to wreack havoc on this small chorallimorph.....maybe this isn't what y'all want but sometimes it's hard to shoot just cute little fish....

j

Thumbnail by caribblue
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

John, which is which?

kaperc, this is where i belong....wont travel outside of my realm again...sorry for thread jumping....

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

John, darlin...you go anywhere your little heart wants to go! Welcome everywhere!!! Do you know which corallimorph that is? I think that is what JB was describing that you named the BrokenPipeAnemoneFish! I'm gonna have him look at this pic when he gets home! You may have solved the mystery without even trying! How ccoool is that!?

This message was edited Sep 24, 2007 1:05 PM

Which is which????? I can't tell by the descriptions. Normally I can but this one has me stumped.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Watch me be posting this right on top of John, but I'll give it a try. The orange striped shell with the snail poking out a bit is the cowrie....the clearish anemone looking goody with the orange color on the end of the tentacles is the corallimorph.

This message was edited Sep 24, 2007 1:05 PM

Ok, got it. Thanks Shari!

Hit send too soon. Great pic John if I haven't said it already.

This message was edited Sep 24, 2007 8:01 PM

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Cool beans, found it! The OrangeBall Coralimorph! Names of sea critters are so easily descriptive!

lol. Glad you found it!!

i knew you could figure it out! been on the dog and bone and just now got back....glad to see that you have good research tools at hand.....

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Jb will be upset that he didn't find a new species, but grateful to have a name. John, your timing is impeccable!

I have posted both orange and white ball before, as well as a cowrie or two....but not together.....i hate reposting images but if you need a refresher in marine life, i will be glad to repost anything....might be faster than going thru the last 4 threads of 250 posts each to find an image.....

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Are you at work or did you get the modem fixed?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I find myself doing just that! "Hmmm, have I already posted this....? " It takes a long time! We have been busy, we have!

remember this one?

Thumbnail by caribblue

I remember that one. Just don't quiz me on the where and which number thread. Don't remember that much. lol

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Ahhhhh - I love that one! But I never connected it to what JB was describing because it looks so purple in the pick....but of course the tentacles are clear aren't they?! Boy, just smack my head and call me stupid! That is one of my favorites of your pics! Hanging my head in chagrin.

Please go to the "missing you" thread and tell me if I got that right?

Big hugs John! My Hero!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

It was the picture he opened #4 with !

not sure if this Atlantic Deer Cowrie made it on here or not....don't see it in my already posted file so here it is again....notice the mantle slightly pulled back revealing a beautiful shell.....a cowrie is like a snail, much bigger and prettier than those that get crushed on the sidewalk.....

Thumbnail by caribblue

Ok, I remember that now!!

No, Alantic Deer Cowrie one above hasn't been posted before. I would remember that one for sure because in the thumbnail it almost looks like something in the movies. Simmering stew in big caldrouns where they threaten to put people in them. Something like that anyways.

they eat their own! that was the movie wasn't it?

no, sorry...that was a name of a band in so cal a number of years ago.....right before i left....

You had a band called They Eat Their Own? Well, can't say it's not a unique name that's for sure!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Actually Pep, you are looking at it wrong. It is sort of half egg shaped, with the flatter side on the ground (the dark bits), the mantle of the snail going in and out gives the cowries their signature shine....some of the most prized of shells. Hundreds of types...and John, JB has two Goldens! Found them oceanside, both during the same dive. For those unaware, the Golden Cowrie is one of the most coveted shells in the world. Very valuable. Not as much these days, but in the 80's we would be offered $600 or more for one shell. Never sold any....wouldn't want to. But many people did.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.