Underwater Gardens #5

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I think I'm going to have to visit our Aquarium down town, cause that's as close as I"m getting to an underwater garden..other than these great pictures. It's making me wistful, and wanting to find a snorkel/dive place!

Thanks Janet! I don't think I'm making the OCT gathering either.
The Aussie tree is even bigger..had to slide the chairs over as the fronds are so long now. It was poking me in the eye whilst sitting in my chair aka the garden throne.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Maybe I moved to fast. Had the OZ fern from HD last year. It didn't thrive. Mostly it made me had an allergic reaction whenever I touched it. It was so beautiful.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Christi - did you manage to identify what caused the reaction? Just curious...some bother me, some don't.

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

I would have loved to see all the crawdaddies crawling about in the refrig! Great visual as Unique said!

RJ we would love to see pictures of your tropical oasis in Texas.

Aloha

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Every time I let the fern touch my skin I had itching and whelps. Didn't last past a few hours like Poison Ivy does but it was enough that it was annoying. Probably should have just moved it somewhere that I didn't get close to it.....instead I gave it to the lawn guys. He also has a small nursery so he probably potted and resold it. That was ok with me.

Pass Christian, MS(Zone 8b)

LouC,
I bought an Assie Tree Fern, this year, fell in love with it at a nursery. Picked it up myself (bare arms) to take it to the checkout - no warning on the tag....I was ichy all day. Did not associate it with the plant until I did some research. Like the old pink insulation reaction.

I planted it in a out of the way spot beside my driveway, but it really struggles. Was told they were pretty tough and easy to grow....not sure what doin with mine. But I love it and would like to see it get bigger.

Thumbnail by Gardnerkett

Thought this sculpture had kind of an underwater theme, so I thought I might add it here.
This is what they are doing along the ocean in Mississippi, with some of the oaks that died from Katrina.

Thumbnail by Gardnerkett
Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Wow, that's beautiful carving. How nice to see something beautiful come out of a disaster.
Thanks for sharing - I would have never known about that.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

ingenious. My fern also struggled and first one large frond would die and then another. I couldn't decide whether it needed water or had too much.

Same Same, I was told by one gal at a garden shop, who has one that they require very little care and attention (my kind of plant!)
If its going to have "Australian" , in its name you would think it would be tough!
I watered it lots after planting it and it was doing well, but I have now left it to fend for itself. Its the rainy season, so I am hoping for the best.
They are suppose to get pretty big, so it would be cool to see it grow up!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I probably should start a new thread to post my pictures right? So we can keep the nice underwater theme going?
I found the secret to the aussie ferns is watering the fuzz portion everyday...
It went from this size last summer

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

To this size this summer, the only change was...watering the fuzzy trunk everyday. I learned that the fuzzy portion (and I'm sure there is a lovely botanical term for it), but I like fuzzy portion-- is actually part of the root system. You can tell that was definately a hit with this tree! I will say this...They are difficult the first 3 years. I have 2 others...I brought back from Hawaii..they were little fuzz balls and while they are on they're second year, I'm having a heck of time with them. Seems like if you get them to hit 3 years...they toughen up a bit.

In one year I went from looking down at it, to looking up at it. It's even bigger than this picture now. From one frond tip to the other it has a 13 foot span. It now looks like some of the ones I saw at the Botanical gardens in Kauai

Thanks harrison, for the reply. Your fern is beautious, if that is a word. Anything is worth a try.
Cheers
C

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Sure!
I've been known to use the word now and then!
Rj

Rj
Took your lead and posted a new thread. Thanks again for the great info.
Sorry to take up space on the UW thread.
Look forward to more underwater photo's!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

okay..cool...thanks, I'll look for the new one.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

If you were to go to the top of this thread....from #1 to wherever we are today......the subject matter would blow your mind. Thanks, Randy for the information. Sure there will be others that can benefit. I have already given mine away. It was wonderful when I bought it at HD. Never had a new growth the entire summer. It was last fall when putting the garden to bed that I dug it up. The skin irritation was the main thing with me.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL...Okay, well I put a ton of stuff from my journal in the thread created Australian Fern Trees.

You know the saying you can't see the forrest for the trees..well that describes my garden..
It's very jungle, and thick....

The statue in this picture is called a "Teppanom" From Chiang Mai Thailand

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

This is one of my favorite photos.
The Lamp Post, inspired by "The Chronicles of Narnia"
For those of you who are familiar, it is a guide back to the Land of Ward Robe, and city of
"Spare Oom" :)
The face is of Mr. Tumnus the faun over looking the garden.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

During the daylight..The lamp post

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The lamp post is in the back garden just off the deck.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The deck is sort of like the deck of a ship, sailing through a jungle. This picture is during a rainstorm, thus the blured effect, which was not intentional, but turned out kind of cool. Blooming off the edge of the deck are Shell gingers that get about 12 feet tall here, brugs, Ti tree, bromeliads..etc.etc.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

This is a section on the far North side of the garden where nothing but giant brugs abide.. I call it the "Brug Forrest" I grew these from seeds, long before cool names were assigned to them.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Every 4 months the garden goes through complete decoration and lighting change along with seasons.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The garden art has been seen in every corner of the garden.
The resident cardinal is in the center of the picture. The couple nest in the garden every year.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

and at night, a whole new scene emerges...a favorite place for my friends and I to hang out.
The green house roof is fiberglass, so I change the colored florescent lights with the seasons

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Christi its a shame that a plant you liked so much bothered you so much that you had to give it away. Guess its some kind of protection mechanism in the plant.

Cath - I love the sculpture! There is a guy in the Rocky's that does this type of tree sculpture and he is very popular. There is an entire outdoor history museum up in Winter Park/Fraser, Colorado that uses his stuff. The one you posted is beautiful, and I agree with Jenny that its good to see something beautiful come from such a disaster.

In keeping with the sculpture theme, here are some underwater sculpture pieces:

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Randy - I was off line for a while, and didn't see your pictures before I posted that last one...beautiful! I am in awe! Your glorious garden deserves its own thread just like Don's (Tropicman) does. You don't dig this all up in the winter do you???

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yeah..I thought I probably should've put in it's own thread..
No...I don't dig a thing up...only potted plants go to the green house...the rest of it gets mulched for the winter, or is burried under a foot of oak leave that I won't pick up until spring.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I can just see you and your friends, sitting out back, enjoying your tropical jungle while other Texans are grousin about the weather! How long have you been growing all that?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, we just did tonight...talking about the universe and all.

Been growing for about 6 years now...

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Looking forward to many more pictures and conversations! So glad you have joined us!

West Bay, Cayman Islands(Zone 11)

Is it time for another addition? this one did not make the normal 250 before it wandered off....please advise...

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

John, please post another few pictures here....we can go to another edition around 250 posts. I would love to see some more of your's on here before we move on.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Love your pictures John! It does not matter when they are from, they are all fantastic! So glad that you are feeling better, and know that you will be so elated, overjoyed, etc, to get back in the water! Love your saying! It definately should be made into a nice poster, or hangable sign!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi everybody. Had a wonderful evening with two DGers. First time to actually meet someone.
Fine young people that live within 20 miles of my home. Convinced more than ever that Dave's brings together the best of the best and that means.....YOU.

You must be careful......I may just show up at your door any day now.

LouC

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Waaay Cooool Christi! Who did you meet...details....tell girl!

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Christi, you are welcome to show up at my door anytime.

I agree, details.....Inquiring minds want to know.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, just had one of those experiences that Dave can't explain.....typed a really long post and......poof....it all went blue and disappeared.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Will try to start again. Broncbuster lives about 20 miles or less from us......Mitch Ferguson...wrote todays article "Memorial Gardens".....lives about mid-way between. Bronc and I got to chatting about a bonfire a couple of weeks ago.....he got it together....we roped Mitch in.....and tonight Mike and I went to Bronc's and Mitch came too.

Wonderful young men that have lots of knowledge. Come on over to the Texas Forum and you will enjoy them. Bronc's young family are a joy.......Dave has put together a place for the finest people in the whole planet to gather. I am so blessed to have found it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.