August Daily Weather #III Summer's winding down!!!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well the heat is breaking to a mere 90º for the next week. It's getting to 73 also, but it's 80 right now.
I have really been enjoying all your pictures and banter.
Come by and post often.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
(Zone 3b)

8:30pm~~ 56* daylight but mostly cloudy. No wind~~
Perhaps it's good morning to some of you ~~ adina and rann?
Blooms~ thanks - glad to see that you're happy with 98* - ohmygosh that's gotta be tough to take.
Dyson - I know it's dark there as I write in the daylight - get well soon but take it easy, too.
Ric - Bet that one tomato would be a good start for a jar of sauce by itself..wow that's huge. And, 100 is not too bad?:)) ok
Adina - hope to see photos after you get home..sounds great.
Rann - I'll keep Iceland in mind when we return to Seward in 2 weeks..
The rose is wonderful - fragrant?
MySharona - a quick re-read I see that you didn't mean "green tomatoes", just kidding, just can't get the thinking....
Thanks, it wasn't too bad in the rain, there was no wind and the rain wasn't a heavy rain. 90 again for your area - must be nice to go to the beach...the photos are wonderful.
DebinSC ~~nice miracle inch you've captured; bet you poured out onto a plant after the photo:))
Pattischell - that's funny ~~ the mom and this year's calf came through late one afternoon while our guests were here and we all watched as they ate their way around the yard and garden. There's not a lot left after the last time they came through, but they nibbeled away at leaves and branches.
Music2Keep~~ Thanks - a few photos more to share:)) It's hard to imagine volunteer snap dragons; how nice.
Sugarweed - bet the coleus garden is going strong now; must be very pretty, too. Nice photo for the thread starter - love the combination.
My sister took this during their visit here.
Kiska

This message was edited Aug 24, 2007 5:57 AM

Thumbnail by kiska
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

We’re still doing the rain dance…maybe today we’ll get lucky or sometime this weekend. The chances are getting better though.

DYSON!! Lots of (((HUGS))) to you! It’s great to see you back and on a walker already! That’s awesome!

Kiska – I do love fried green tomatoes (the movie too)! The moose are back. They look so sleek in their summer/fall coats.

76.3 °F / 24.6 °C
Clear
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 70 °F / 21 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 77 °F / 25 °C
Visibility: 8.0 miles / 12.9 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16

Today
Partly cloudy. A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then a chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs around 90. East winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

This pic is neat. Took it while driving (shhhhhh - don't tell anyone)!

Thumbnail by MySharona
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Dyson dark and raining and thundering. Don't know about lightning. Only be in the mid 80s today.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! :D It's cloudy (or is it the humidity) & 74*. We may get some rain this afternoon, but as usual it's a hit & miss kind of thing...Yesterday the temp hit 100* (not w/ the humidity).

Dyson! Yippee! Glad to see that you're back & still kickin'! :D Before ya know it, you'll be puttering around w/out that walker! I foresee your recovery time as being less than what is predicted! :D Hang in there dude! I'm rootin' for ya! (stay "kewl" ~ we're supposed to have another scorcher today).
Deb! Yay! You got nearly an inch, which means that the fancy footwork payed off! :D You have the neatest frogs!
Blooms, I got some pics yesterday evening. I hope to got to Sandstone Falls this evening to get somemore...if not I can go down to the river & get some.
Sharon, I'm w/Deb..."Hope your cloudage becomes rainage soon. :)" I'd say she's doin' the dance for ya! :D (toes aching)
Ric, Hope you're high & dry & not getting all of the flooding! Cinci was on the TV!

Sharon, you got it! The answer to yesterdays trivia is...A
Hurricane Audrey spread from Texas to Alabama, raged for five days, leaving 390 fatalities in its wake.

Today's trivia is...(we must be in hurricane mode)
In what month of 1965 did Hurricane Betsy strike?
a) September
b) August
c) June
d) October

Well, gotta go finish waterin' the flowers.
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Yep it's a neat picture alright Sharon.
Kiska, I too am pleased with the 3" lizards and the native green anoles turn colors like a chameleon lizard, although they are a fraction of the size of real chameleon lizards. If those Mooses were in my garden it would be mush. However literally hundreds of anoles are running around my undergrowth eating insects. I also have a 4 lane carbon monoxide producing road in front of my house that helps control insects. I'm sure the mooses wouldn't like that either. I'll stick with Pati on this one.
Well they are really trying my nerves with this promise of rain that's dancing about. My whole yard is ready.
In my childhood DGM made Chow-chow with the end of summer veggies; green tomatoes, bell peppers, cabbage, onions, vinegar and sugar. Yummy with pinto beans and corn bread.
Have a great day.
Dyson take it easy.
Sidney

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

here in alabama is going to be 100. a cool change from 104-107 for the last 2 weeks

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

sugar do you have a recipe for that chow-chow

Here's one somewhat similar only doesn't have the choped cabbage and bell and red bell peppers in it. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=3271507
And this onne is also close. We however put our vegies through a rough grind in food processor instead of thin slice. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=2493046
Here's another close where I would use cabbage instead of apples.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/462832/
None of these have the chopped cabbage, but you might Google Chow chow and see what that turns up.
I'll have to go through a sack of old ones to find mine.
Welcome to the weather forum jordankittyjo.
Sidney

(Zone 3b)

45* and sunny this morning at 7:30am...highs in the high 50's ~ low 60's.
Sugarweed - I read with great interest about the lizards and can understand the good they must be doing; but for the life of me, I doubt I could get outdoors. Luckily when we were visiting in Orlando, we didn't see any but did see one S that really stopped me cold. Never had chow chow, but sounds great.
jordankittyjo - nice to see that it's dropped a bit; do you notice the difference?
Music2Keep ~~ what a pretty plant/flower. The purple leaves and pink blossoms, just great. (B) Have a great day and hope you get time for photo taking, too.
pepper23 - sounds like a noisy day ahead for you.
Dyson ~~ is it daylight? How are you?
MySharona - love the glow in the cloud cover - we'll never tell:))
gkids harvesting their potatos.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

Fresh Yukon Gold potatoes.

Thumbnail by kiska
Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

thanks for the info sugar

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Fair ~ 90°
Feels Like: 96°
Barometer: 30.08 in and rising
Humidity: 55%
Visibility: 10 mi
Dewpoint: 72°
Wind: W 3 mph

Today: Partial cloudiness early, with scattered showers and thunderstorms during the afternoon. Hot. High 99F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 40%.

Tonight: Isolated thunderstorms during the evening. Mainly clear skies after midnight. Low 71F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 30%.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the rain!

Kiska those potatoes look great! I bought some Yukon Gold potatoes at a local grocery store not long ago and they are definitely the Cadillac of potatoes!
Wanda

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kiska: Love the moose. You know, I really shouldn't complain about the squirrels pinching my peaches of the tree..when I think of what a moose could eat. :) Oh! and Yukon Gold - Yum.
Sharon: I've been shouting at the rain clouds to "spread south". !!

We ended up with nearly 1.5" of rain. Ahhhh. Also, the temps are waaay down to the upper 80s. Still very humid, but I really can't complain today!

Ric: You're not flooded, I hope?

Dyson: Welcome back!! Hope you recover at lightning speed! (but move slowly til you do. ;-> )
Deb

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

83°(F), still "light", but very overcast with thunderstorms crossing the area.

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 62%
Wind: 0° (N) at 0mph
Gusts: 0mph
Pressure: 30.03in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 71°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 86°F
Dew Point: 65°
Visibility: 10mi
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 81°
Wind Chill: 79°
6hr Precip: 0in
6hr Low Temp: 76°F
6hr High Temp: 94°F

Joey – I going for A.
Jordankittyjo – Welcome to the forum! Sounds like a cold front is going through your area! LOL!!
Kiska – Your GK’s are having fun!! That’s a nice sized bucket full of pretty gold potatoes!
Deb – Bring on the rain dances! We’ve got a 60% chance tomorrow!
Ric – Where is the flooding compared to where you are located?
Go Dyson Go Dyson! So glad you are up and about so soon after your surgery!

85.8 °F / 29.9 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 61%
Dew Point: 71 °F / 21 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.00 in / 1015.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 91 °F / 33 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 2500 ft / 762 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy with areas of fog forming after midnight. Lows in the mid 70s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Taken on the way home from work

Thumbnail by MySharona
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

After three days of hat in the mid 60's this week we are now 85 deg. at 7:45 PM. Humidity is 70% so it is a little damp out there. Hot tomorrow, then thunderstorms in the afternoon/evening will usher in more cool dry air from Canada.

I was out picking tomatoes a while ago and they seem to have wall-to-wall mosquitoes - the first I have noticed this year. Now where did I put that Deet?

Sorry se_eds - I think I accidetly sent the skeeters to your neck of the woods with our Deet!

Currently raining. Rained off and on almost all day at work today but not much here til a bit ago. Thunder and lightning going on but moving away fast.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Yay, Dyson's back! Best wishes to you! :-)

My grandma used to make relish out of green tomatoes - sounds a lot like Kiska's recipe but without cabbage. I don't use relish but I always liked helping her make it. Somewhere I have a recipe for green tomato spice cake that is really good.

It didn't get super hot today.

Updated: 5:51 PM PDT on August 24, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
81 °F / 27 °C
Clear
Humidity: 45%
Dew Point: 58 °F / 14 °C
Wind: 7 mph / 11 km/h / 3.1 m/s from the ESE

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

GREAT to see you back Dyson!!

No flooding here for sure...
We've had less than 2" in a month...
That's at least 100-200 miles North of us.

Well almost 9:30 and it's still 92° ..... after 100° again today....
well actually yesterday was 101° but .......
It should all break tomorrow the high will ONLY be 93° lol!

The 10 day looks not too bad....
Labor Day Weekend they're saying the High will be near 80...

Hopefully we won't see 95+ again.....

Ric

Our high was only 81. It was nice and even a bit cold at times. But no complaints that's for sure.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Welcome back, Dyson!!! :-)

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

'Evenin'!
Ric, Glad that you didn't get the flooding. :D I was kinda worried for ya. I hope the folks north of you that got it will be OK.
Pepper, glad that you're finally cooling down...some.
Se_eds, LOL! You know that it only takes 2 days for those "skeeters" to hatch! :D and I dare say that Sharon keeps them on tap.:D I have some witch hazel...want some?
Sharon, another lovely cloud shot! ;D
Dyson, did you get any of that glorious rain? We didn't. It was all around us, but nothing showed up! We had plenty of thunder & lightning, tho. Is the pain easing up yet? 'Hope so.
Thanks Kiska, those spuds look real yummy. I'm sure those little guys were really proud of themselves. :D Yummmm, makes me think of potato soup season coming up! :D (btw~the pink flower is a Shamrock~they like it hot & humid, but no sun)
Jordankittyjo, Welcome ~ glad that you have joined us! :D
Sidney, You are really making me hungry for (what I call) soul food! I haven't had chow chow for years....& it came with brown beans, corn bread & fried potatoes. Yummm. :D
Marylyn! There you are! :D

Well...(Sharon! you got it) the answer to the trivia is...A
From September 7 - September 12, 1965

Have a good nite.
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Yukon Golds are my favorite Taters'.
Ever try French Frying them? Delicious!

The Shamrock is Oxalis regnellii atropurpurea.
We grow it everywhere.
It winters over well too... just dig them up and stick them in a bag... or bring the pot in and don't water them... let them go dormant for a few months and start watering...
that greatly increases the flowering....

We just go it from the Hot Tub .... it's down to 75° outside now and a nice moonlit night.

Ric

Ric – We’re so glad you aren’t getting the flooding. It’s just horrible what we see on the news.

This may seem to be a silly question for some of you, but how do y’all keep track of the bulb you plant? I mean when winter comes around and you dig them up. Do you count the bulbs? I don’t get it! LOL! I know, it's a silly question!

I’ve never done that. I don’t need to since we don’t get the hard winters that some of you get.

77.7 °F / 25.4 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 84%
Dew Point: 72 °F / 22 °C
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1014.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 80 °F / 27 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 2500 ft / 762 m
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft / 4572 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy. Patchy fog early in the morning. A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs around 90. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Lots of clouds, but still no rain.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

It's already 79° (feels like 81°) here w/ a 65% Humidity......

Depending on whom you listen toooooo it's either going to be 85° or 94°. .
Then the "Cold" Front moves in and tomorow's High will be 84°.

We're on Very High Ground here.
At least 200' higher than the River Valleys..
About the only flooding we ever see is the lower roads we use to get most anywhere easily.
Since there are so many valleys there are always ways around that.

Sharon we could use some of those clouds!

Ric

I hear thunder! DH just called said it's pouring on the North end of the island, but no rain on the South end at this time. It's close to being DysonDark though!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

82°(F), Sunny, very bright Blu skies.

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 71%
Wind: 0° (N) at 5mph
Gusts: 0mph
Pressure: 30.03in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 75°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 95°F
Dew Point: 68°
Visibility: 10mi
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 80°
Wind Chill: 78°
6hr Precip: in
6hr Low Temp: 70°F
6hr High Temp: 74°F

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Mornin! The temp is 79* here, too. I've been out watering all the flowers, giving the Rhodo a good soaking. I've lost one of them. :( Can't figure it out...I have an Azalea close to the one that has kicked the bucket & the Azalea is doing Great. Oh, well...I'm still watering it & keeping my fingers crossed.

Ric, thanks for clearing up the problem I've had w/my Shamrock in the winter. No matter what I've done (much special attention) it always dies back. Once I take it outside...Voila! And thanks for the scientific name! :D
Sharon, we had some clouds like that (yesterday), but they failed to produce some rain that folks near by got. A town that is like 7 minutes away got 1.30 inches yesterday. We had some of their thunder & lightning, but that was it. :(

Well, I'm off to Wally World then to Sandstone Falls!

Have a Great Week End! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

We're getting drenched! YAY! I can't post any pics, but will later!!

Now
Through 1130 am...showers and thunderstorms continue from Jacksonville north along the coast into Saint Simons Island and inland to Interstate 95. The heaviest showers are moving through Yulee and Fernandina Beach. Most of the showers are moving north at less than 10 miles an hour.

76.6 °F / 24 °C :)
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 84%
Dew Point: 70 °F / 21 °C
Wind Gust: 4.0 mph / 6 km/h
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 81 °F / 27 °C
Visibility: 3.0 miles / 4.8 kilometers
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 400 ft / 121 m
Mostly Cloudy 2500 ft / 762 m
Mostly Cloudy 4000 ft / 1219 m
Mostly Cloudy 15000 ft / 4572 m

Here's on the way to work - see the rainbow?

Thumbnail by MySharona

getting soaked!

Thumbnail by MySharona

heading home for lunch

Thumbnail by MySharona
Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

it's a miracle- 11 a.m. and it's only 95 degress here in bessemer al. what a welcome surprise

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

We are finally getting a little rain during the evenings!

Sharon, I never plant anything in the ground that I have to dig up. Guess I'm a lazy gardener but I just hate having to dig things up. LOL I always put my bulbs that have to come in for the winter in pots.

Ric, I'm so glad that you are not in the area that is flooding!

jordankittyjo, hopefully things are about to cool down here in Alabama!

Fair ~ 85°
Feels Like: 90°
Barometer: 30.01 in and falling
Humidity: 49%
Visibility: 10 mi
Dewpoint: 66°
Wind: S 5 mph

Today: Partial cloudiness early, with scattered showers and thunderstorms during the afternoon. High 92F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 40%.

Tonight: Scattered showers or thunderstorms, especially during the evening. Low near 70F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 40%.

Have a great day all!
Wanda

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sharon: Yay! A downpour for you...finally! Love your skies. You, too Joey. :)
I was out watering til a few minutes ago. Clouded up big time, lots of wind and thunder, but I wasn't fooled. Kept watering. Sure enough...no rain. It's ok though, because we had nearly 2" this week, which is more than we had the previous 6 weeks combined. I really hope we don't have another summer like this one. I lost my prized tree fern to this (*$&#(#&$ drought.

Only 82 at the moment. Real humid, but at least it's more normal temps.
Ric: I hope you start getting some nice showers.

Here's my little back fence jumble area in the rain on Thursday.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It was raining earlier here, but it has cleared up now. We're starting school on Tuesday. I was mostly ready - and then we decided to change curriculum, so now I need to do some VERY fast lesson planning. LOL The big bunny and I are about to run out to Hobby Lobby and the dollar store to pick up some supplies. I hope all of you are having a good weekend!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 2:21pm CDT (29 min ago)
Temperature 90 °F 32 °C
Dew Point 71 °F 22 °C
Humidity 55%
Pressure 29.94 in 1014 mb
Wind Speed 3 MPH 3 kts
Wind Dir Variable Variable
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 97 °F 36 °C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 75.9°F / 24.4°C

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Well, jacket weather is over for now I guess. Our "feels like" temp was about 105 today. Now thunder and clouds rolling in. Acc. to the weather station we are going to be caught in the middle of a low jet stream and a high jet stream this afternoon and evening and going to get some severe weather. Sure was hot today.

Clouds now!!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.