Buggycrazy's Site

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Wanda, it will be so beautiful next summer. I haven't got all mine planted either. The holes are dug but they are sitting with water in them.

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I received my bulbs today, WOW, the regulars are large and the supersized are HUGE! And I agree, they have some nice looking roots on them too.

If I can't plant them right away (3 or 4 days) is it ok to leave them tied up in those plastic bags?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

You bet, they'll be fine.

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks Moby. I'm afraid it's going to take more than "little pockets between the daylilies" to plant these bigger ones ;-) I can't wait to see these babies bloom next year!

This message was edited Oct 15, 2007 9:09 PM

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

The perfect day is any day a box from Buggy Crazy comes. Mine came today and they were just as perfect and plump as ever. She really does a wonderful job growing lilies.

Honestly, I had forgotten how big they really were. So I guess I will need to remind myself every year ;)

Can't wait to get them all in.

Fox River Valley Are, WI(Zone 5a)

My wife called me a lily maniac the other day :*) She was shocked at Buggy's bulbs.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I bet she ment it in the nicest way LOL
Gloria

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Anybody still sniffing the dirt? :) LOL

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Are you talking to me, Ticker? I love sniffing the dirt. Better yet I love sniffing the bulbs. I always kinda regret having to plant them because then sniff time is over. Have to save the baggies but it's just not the same....

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Buggy's baggies are the best reuseable baggies there are too, pre-scented and all. Makes those rather unpleasant jobs, a bit more pleasant.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

I worry about you guys. :) LOL

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I prefer to just to waller in the mud. Must be my ancestoral farmer genes kicking in.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Could be I'm spoiled by Buggy, but I got some White Henryi bulbs today from someone else that were so small I was shocked. These were about the size of the asiatics I got from both Buggy and the Lily Garden. Could that be right? With Henryi as a parent I would have expected bigger. And these were 9 dollar bulbs.

And, also on the Buggy front, three of the six speciosums I got from her last fall never came up. She said they were probably just sulking. So today I went to move them -- dug down more than a foot -- and found absolutely nothing. These were gargantuan bulbs, melon-sized things, in a raised bed in front of a stone retaining wall, the entire bed covered in chicken wire. And the whole bed planted with lilies, all of which came up. Every one of the bulbs I planted last fall, but these, came up. Squirrels are a menace here, but I've never had a problem with burrowing rodents before, and I don't want one now. I'm thinking (hoping) aliens. Anyone else got aliens?

I have enough trouble with rabbits to worry about aliens. I did just put out a trap to catch some tree rats. Wow completely gone? I can't imagine those huge bulbs moving. Did you find any traces that they were there? I had an oriental rot but there was still a little flesh left.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Honestly, not a trace of anything, just a couple of big air pockets where the bulbs should be. I dug down to the clay. I know that bulbs pull themselves down, but they don't move laterally, do they? I only dug the approx. 2'x3' area I planted them in. Didn't want to disturb anything else.

Well, either rot or rodents is my guess. I suppose aliens could have beamed them up?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Either way, I'm having nightmares tonight.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

My Woodriff's Memory didn't come up this year. I'm giving it a chance to do so next spring and then I'm considering it toast...

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

I am having the same problem in my beds. About 6 bulbs from Buggy were no shows this year. I haven't dug in to see if they are still there, but I did dig into other areas where I had no shows and there is nothing there to ever suggest there was a bulb. Other places I had stems and when I dug to get the bulb (rearranging) there was no bulb! You know how the stem looks when you pop it out of a bulb...well these just had a kinda decayed end on them. I also dug down to 12 inches or so (bubs were planted 5 inches deep) Matter of fact I had 3 beds so far that the original bulbs shrunk to almost nothing or were totally gone. I just sat in the dirt crying.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Oh my goodness. That's very sad. What do you think happened? In my case, it just seems so strange that there's no trace left at all. I can't imagine those huge bulbs rotting to absolutely nothing. Or being completely devoured with not even a crumb left behind. None of the other bulbs in that bed have come to any harm, unless something's happened since they flowered. Some of the stems did yellow a lot sooner than others, now than I think about it. Okay, now I'm really worried.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Do you have a neighbor that likes lilies? Just kidding... It is mysterious, isn't it.

My 'Woodriff's Memory ' was a no show too. Maybe it doesn't like cold weather.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Mags, that's kind of what I'm thinking. Woodriff's Memory is just a memory in colder regions...

Yeh, finally a weekend of sun! Bulb planting time :*)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Same here ~ and it's supposed to be 80°. Yea!!

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

You guys better look at Buggy's site. This might be her last year...

Is this for real? I mean rude neighbors, stupid police and now abusive husband??? Well if it is real hope she gets out. Her bulbs will be missed though...

This message was edited Oct 20, 2007 2:47 PM

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

;(****

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

wow...that sounds like one big mess from every angle...i hope it sounds worse than it is

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I've been emailing her. At a minimum, I think she's fairly serious about selling off a lot of things to simplify her workload.

She's even selling off some pretty interesting plants under "Private Collection Liquidation". She's also selling L.speciosum gloriosoides. The fact that she's selling those special things off is more worrisome to me than her deciding not to carry natives anymore.

So, I've decided to place another order with her now, just in case.....

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Yeah, I did too. It just breaks my heart thinking she won't be around anymore.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

How can you not order again at this point?

Why is it that the great stuff always has to go away? This is a lady with a whole lot of talent. I really am sad about this. It does not look very good right now for the future of that business.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I was just looking at her newest additions. You can tell she's a lady who really, really loves lilies. To see her posting her super-special plants and even selling off her seedstock breaks my heart-partly just because I keep thinking how much she must be hurting to get to the point where she's selling those.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Maybe we'll get lucky and she'll find another spot and people will be good to her and she'll be happy. I"m very selfish, I don't want her or her bulbs to go away. But the woman needs to do what she needs to do to make her life happy. I just feel terrible about this.

Planting these bulbs is tiring. Getting 3 done an hour. Should have bought one of those monster augers :*).
Well if I had more space, more money, and more time I would buy her entire stock ;*)

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Me too, but I know I don't do it as well as she does.

I hate to see great, great talent go away.

Maybe I need to go knock some sense into her.....

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Please! We would miss her so!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Well, pard, at least as far as her not selling us lilies, OK, but I'd rather see her walk away and start over than stay somewhere that's abusive.
Do tell her that we're all worried for her, though. How much space do you have? Maybe you could offer to foster some of her special plants for when she's starting somewhere new?

Unfortunately, not enough space, just a residential yard here. On the other hand, she has acres of this stuff to deal with:-( Anything that comes to my place risks death! I ordered a big ol' gloriowhatsit anyway (ahhhh at last!). I'll put it in a big pot with lots of pumice and then under the eaves.

Of course I agree no one should stay in an abusive relationship. Too bad she didn't stay in Tangent.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Yeah, I'm on a city lot, too-and I'm about to be seriously overrun with lilies, lol! Less risk of death with you than me as a newbie....How hard is it to keep cernuum alive?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.