Buggycrazy's Site

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

So much for the early bird getting the worm. Lol!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

David-Paul,
Sorry I didn't write back. I got back to the thread and saw Pardalinum's post that Buggy was back up and zipped right on over there. Now I'm just trying to narrow the list down to which of the 290 (less Tristar, lol) lilies I am not able to live without! ;)

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

well, I've been watching this thread like a hawk and now the deed is done. My very first buggycrazy order ever!
Shall I tell you what I got? I don't know what I'm doing, other than my selections are hardy for my zone and the looks of them spoke to me.

leucojum
liliana, early dwarf
awesome, aurelian lily
lillium spec. rubrum
lil. spec. album
l. trigrinum flaviflorum
mediterranean bells
Debutante
Red dwarf spotted

And here is a tip that I'm trying out this buying season. print 2 copies of your order. File the 1st copy for your records (plant ID, price, purchase/plant dates). Use the 2nd copy and write down next to each plant their planned location. .

I hope it helps me so that I don't buy ten plants for the same spot in my garden, lol.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

LOL Planned location?? ha ha ha I always buy my plants with no plan in sight because, of course, they are always IMPULSE purchases! So of course I end up with more new plants than space in the garden so they get relegated to the pot ghetto, hoping I kill enough garden plants over the summer I will have room for the new ones.This sedum and variegated euonymus have been kicking around on my patio since April!

Thumbnail by pardalinum

Pard! you are not invited to my plantaholic anonymous meetings!

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I ordered five bulbs, all the same thing. I like stuff en masse. Check out the Oriental Arabian Red. If one's good, five have to be better.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

I'm with McGlory on that one. What is better than one of a favorite? Five, you got it right.
Last year I ordered San Souci in 5 or 10, can't recall (lol!) but boy was it beautiful blooming in mass with a red clematis blooming at the same time.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

p.s. 'Tristar' is fixed now....and available.. ;)

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Pardalinum, guess we'd better never be neighbors! We'd fight over whose pots were whose and which had been there longest, lol! (my sedum's only been kicking around since June, though-you got me on that one... ; ) )

I did just buy "you" though...My first native lily! Yayy! Also got "Taco Sauce" for my hot-sauce loving DH and, uhm, a few others...think I missed a few, though... ;)

Vossner, Good ideas, but I'll never get there, so I guess I'm not invited, either. ;)

This message was edited Aug 4, 2007 10:41 AM

This message was edited Aug 4, 2007 11:28 AM

Maybe y'all ought not post what you bought as I've run out of lily money. I went back and added 5 Arabian Reds, but that's all I'm getting. I had forgotten to get something red.

PS: That tristar is awesome, but sigh, I ran out of lily money...

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Vossner, I think that is a very good idea! (not to post any more lists, that is....)

Also, thanks for helping me realize that I skimped on reds too.....lily money....groceries....lily money....groceries....hmmmm

Voss-- as a plantaholic, you and I both know there is no cure, only "recovery" which may or may not last. You really don't need these meetings. Just follow these steps: When a plant catalog arrives, remove your personal information and toss catalog into recycle without looking at it. Do NOT go to nurseries. Do NOT attend garden tours. Talking over the fence to gardening neighbors is OK-- convince them to take some of your excess for nothing in return. Otherwise, put excess out on curb where it will soon disappear. Finally, turn off your computer so you don't see all of these temptations. If you respond to this post, we will all know that you are not at this final most important step but you are in good company with us enablers.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

You must NOT subscribe to Daves Garden or even ponder the freebie areas.
Actually I think you must throw away your computer, turning it off simply leaves the addiction on hold, in front of you, to drive you nuts. Which really, isn't fair and certainly sets you up to lose ;0)

I didn't see Lamb's Blood on buggy's offerings this year.... :-( Glad I bought one last year!

Thumbnail by pardalinum
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Ditto on the "Lamb's Blood'. I loved it and it was scortch-proof in full sun with a week plus of 90 degree days.

Susy-- you live way to close to The Lily Garden to not join the PNWLS and get in on their fantastic semi-annual bulb sales. You are also close to Aitkens Salmon Creek Gardens if you like irises....

http://www.pnwls.org/index.html

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Pardalinum,

Yep, definitely very close! This looks interesting-and affordable. Is this how you do those lily tours?

But, I'm still pretty new to lilies and I don't know that I'll ever want to get into hybridizing. Would that matter?

Most members just like to grow lilies and since the PNWLS is the only society that ships their bulb sale, there are many members from across the country who join just for the sales.

Yes, the tours are affiliated with the PNWLS. There is one tour each summer, usually to the Lily Garden fields or Mak-Leek in Scio (much closer for me-- 20 miles!). December is a tour of Oregon Flowers, a cut-flower business. A nice bundle of budding lily stems is the reward at the end of the tour. Two meetings/year at Mt. Hood Community College in Gresham. These are held in conjunction with the bulb sales in March and October so locals can pick up their orders. The programs are always interesting for those that stay for them.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

That sounds good, and mainly interesting activities, not just monthly meetings, which I'm not sure I'd go to.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

I find I'm slipping deeper into this lily addiction. Between this, Hostas and Peony, I'm doomed... Oh, but what a lovely way to be doomed... LOL

I don't know Ticker, lilies, roses, daylilies and tropicals, THERE's a real high for ya.
My name is Vossner and I'm a plantaholic.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Sigh.. I was thinking about sayinng how many plants I'd added just since I joined DG and then I actually started to add them up..................

My Name is Susybell and I am a plantaholic...

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

I did so much damage; ordered 23 lilies from buggy; will have to do slave labor to pay for it.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

I'm in denial. Lol!

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

We got you hooked, didn't we TwinLakes?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

23, wow! Is that total bulbs, or varieties? I think I ordered 9, and a few daffodils. Her prices are really good.
I've promised my mom that I'll order some lilies for her as well, though. So I'm going to be flirting with danger for a little while yet. ;)

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

I was there first thing this morning and lightened my billfold by 31 bulbs consisting of 11 cultivars.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Wrong thread for this, I suppose, but if there are any White Henryi growers listening, can you tell me what it needs, sun-wise? Can't find detailed instructions anywhere. Is it tolerant of a range of conditions? Is it like an OT? The question is actually relevant to the thread because the answer will determine what I order from Buggy, though she doesn't offer it herself. I'd like to put WH in lots of places in my garden, but I'm worried it won't get enough sun in some. For instance, one spot gets full sun from 10:30 -2:30, which has been more than sufficient for my speciosums. Would that work for WH? I don't mind staking. Also, will it burn if it gets too much afternoon sun?

Right now have a narrow Buggy list -- L. Henryi (the species) and more Black Beauties and/or Scheherazades -- but it could grow. Am thinking of the double tiger lily -- is it called Flore Pleno? Would never have considered it had I not seen it in bloom at the Chicago Botanic Garden. So unusual and striking there. Does anyone have experience with this?

Am also buying martagons elsewhere and have a growing shopping cart at Old House Gardens and will also be ordering from Lily Garden. (I wrote to them and learned that their new catalog will be in the mail and online late next week.) So, in other words, friends, I feel your pain.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

ooh, I've been wondering about their new catalog! I just hadn't written them yet. Thanks!

I'm growing White Henryi, but only since May-I ordered it this spring, so I don't think I'm a good one to answer you. It seems reasonably happy, considering, and is getting ready to bloom. Mine is in a pot for this season so I think the part shade is helping keep its feet cooler. I tried full sun but it didn't look happy.

11 cultivars, 31 bulbs! You must have a very specific plan in mind! I'm still playing around with all the different types to see what I like in my garden the best.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

McGlory...my theory too! Lots of one thing. Had 6 Muscadet lilies in a deep 18 inch pot this year and they were striking.

How would I pot a few of Buggy's lilies this fall? Or wouldn't I? Would putting a large pot of lily bulbs in a hole and covering it with mulch work?

susybell, the 11 cultivars are ones I don't have and wanted and I don't like to plant a single bulb anymore and wait for it to multiply so there are muliples.

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I marked Iowa's fall lily sale on my calendar too. I'll buy half a dozen of a couple of different things there, provided I make it. llilyfan, delayed gratification is such an evil thing. I'm with you - get 'em all NOW!

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

23 lilies - 23 cultivars and I am not done; will be buying from some other sources.

I figure if I don't go to Bernies I will save a lot of money that can go toward lilies. I like one cultivar en masse also but don't have the room.

Don't tell my DH, but I'm not even close to done yet! Oh well, I have my obsession and he has his!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi lillyfan,

Ok, that makes sense! I kind of feel like I'm still getting the feel for lilies. How long does it take for a bulb to solidly multiply?

susybell,

for me here in the midwest, I find one bulb of the asiatics and LAs will generally make a decent stand in 2 seasons and I can divide at the end of the 3rd. I don't seem to have very good luck with most orientals and find I need to replace most of them by the 3rd year, I have a couple of exceptions that are doing okay for me. The orienpets are wonderfully hardy and prolific, at least all of them that get any love at all have done very well for me. I have only a couple LOs and can't judge them yet. Trumpets seem to thrive for me, but I did see a significant loss of the mature stems this year in that hard freeze we had very late.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Llilyfan, your trumpets may return anyway, after the hard frosts. They are extremely condition and temperature tolerant. Ots are some of my favorite lilies around. They seem to multiply readily in the garden too, at least from what I have seen so far.

magnolia,

I hope my trumpets make a return next spring. Most of the mature bulbs had stems up a good 8 to 10 inches and of course they became mush in the freeze that lasted 5 days down here. We never even got above freezing during the day for 3 full days.

I agree that the OTs are wonderful and for me they also seem to multiply well. Black Beauty and Shocking are the only ones that seem to have been affected by that freeze. Silk Road and Scheherazade acted like it never happened.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

'Black Beauty' had some trouble with the same freeze you speak of, llilyfan. Some of my BB in a wetter section of my yard froze off. Honestly, I think what was affected had to do with how far up the growth was when that horrible weather happened. I had orientals near the house that were up too far and croaked, despite my pampering them by covering their little tips. A lot of my lilies suffered, the further up, the worse it got. My 'Shocking' clump did beautifully.
Let's hope for a better spring next year.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I can wait two years-guess I'll have to, anyhow!

Do you have alkaline or acidic soil? Buggy Crazy was saying the trumpets do well with alkaline? Mine is quite acidic.

I'm really liking my Scheherazade so far. I also have White Henryi, Red Velvet, Viva, Conca D'Or, Eurydice, Citronella, a really dark red Asiatic, and a pink one that's supposed to be 'Paramount' but didn't look like the picture. Bergamo got chomped on, but the bulb is still alive, and it doesn't look like "Copper King" has buds this year. (planted very late this spring!) I also bought a large potted Stargazer and Starfighter on sale as well just for fun. I'm keeping them separated from the other lilies.

I'm glad I was spared that freeze you got hit with. It sounds terrible.

This message was edited Aug 5, 2007 10:05 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.