Bloom's from WS seedlings, part 2

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Don't bat 'em too hard, I don't want the cuttings to dry out!
I've cut as much as I dare to off that shrub. Ask me how they're doing in a few months, you can have some with roots growing. I've gotten cuttings in the mail before, but it was winter... I don't know if it's practical to send them in the mail now? I'd worry that they would perish in the back of a truck somewhere.

Tonight's pics
Larkspurs / Consolida regalis (I guess) getting started

Thumbnail by claypa

Agastache 'Honey Bee Blue' from critterologist
edit: that's a Helenium autumnale (?) next to it... either 'Red and Gold' or 'Autumn Lollipops' - I got the containers mixed up, I had seeds for both, one didn't germinate much at all. I think they're Autumn Lollipops, take a look:

http://www.seedman.com/image/rha049.jpg

They should look pretty crazy with all the Echinaceas in there! There are dozens of those Heleniums. Maybe too over the top, we'll see

This message was edited Jul 13, 2007 4:22 AM

Thumbnail by claypa

Gaillardia 'Arizona Sun' and Marigolds, from garden6. The Cosmos to the left and the small plants on the right (Baptisia) were WS too

This message was edited Jul 13, 2007 4:03 AM

Thumbnail by claypa

That last picture didn't really show the Marigolds well, but they're a foot high, blooming well.
Nicotiana from a trade with LeBug

Thumbnail by claypa

Salvia farinacea 'Strata', another LeBug trade. The unopened buds are very white and the open ones are very blue, very nice. You can see an Amaranth leaf on the left, it has a fuzzy bud starting.

This message was edited Jul 13, 2007 4:06 AM

Thumbnail by claypa

Centaurea cyanus / Cornflower The seeds were from Sunoco of all places, and laying in the kitchen drawer for at least 5 years

Thumbnail by claypa

Some more Nicotiana about 3' high

Thumbnail by claypa
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Beautiful flowers, Claypa! Love your "Arizona Sun"

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Clasping Coneflower

Thumbnail by Seandor
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

first snapdragons :-)

Thumbnail by Seandor
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

larkspur - I was so worried they wouldn't germinate! Then suddenly, I had so many!

Thumbnail by Seandor
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Very nice, claypa!

Seandor: Beautiful combination of your Larkspur growing with your Hydrangea! Was it planned or a happy coincidence?

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Very pretty Seandor - where did you get your seed from? How tall are the Larkspur? I like the Blue Cloud as it is very airy.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Well supposedly they are supposed to grow about 36" eventually! I think I bought the seeds at Wal-mart. Anyway, when it comes time for the October seed swap I will have larkspur seed to swap - including "genetian blue" which is a short version - just 9-12 inches.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

excellent!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Seandor: Don't you just love the gentian blue? Although T&M lists them as a HA, they might come back for you. I WSed some last year, they overwintered for me, and came back with a bang this year. In the 2nd year they got to about 2 feet tall and full and bushy. I suggest you leave them in the ground over the winter and maybe you'll get lucky too.

This photo was taken June 7 of this year, 2nd year for the plants. They got much bigger, but I just cut them back yesterday.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Wow! Those are gorgeous! I can hardly wait to start winter-sowing!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Michaela,

Couldn't the new addicts among us start wintersowing now? Maybe the size they'd be by winter would be too small to survive a winter? Annuals would surely be dead. Maybe they'd flower first, though.

xxx, Carrie

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi Carrie

Here is a webpage that lists perennials that can be started in the summer:

http://www.stokeseeds.com/cgi-bin/StokesSeeds.storefront

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanx!

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Finally, a few more pics to post! Here is a strawflower which was from a seed mix of red flowers:

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

This isn't really a bloom. It is a 'Miniature White' cucumber:

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Another veggie--'Tigerella' tomato...you can see the variegation already:

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

OK, here we go. New computer, bluescreen almost every day, but I do have a bunch of WS flowers that I (yes me) grew from seed!!!!

I'll come back and edit what this is when I see it. Still working out the bugs in my system!!!

Oh, I think this is the calendula which I gave away and our ROUNG-UP!)

This message was edited Jul 23, 2007 8:59 AM

Thumbnail by carrielamont
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

An actual POPPY I grew, me, which bloomed over and over again. Unfortunately, we didn't think it was anything in particular until its stems were way twisted. Now it's in the sun! Is it an annual, or will it come back?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Bachelors buttons (background is whatever else was blooming then).

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

mixed NOIDs. (tall and then, short and wide, creepy) They're much taller now

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Godetia - I stuck a lot of these in different containers not realizing they were all the same thing! This picture is too blurry.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm afraid this is all there is of my ensign blend - these really are awful pictures,

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

My blushing susie guess was wrong - they turned into Japanese Morning Glories! This is pretty, it only flowers every few days or once a week. A restrained sort of flowerer!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I think your flowers look great and I really like your artistic approach to photography :-)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

My California poppies in Spring. they looked so perfect. then I thinned them, apparently thinning out all the cinnabar ones.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Right, my artistic approach influenced by the Romantic Impressionistic French painters of the late 19th century who specialized in blurry pictures of flowers?

:-p

More gorgeous California poppy seedlings; I think this is after the first thinning.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Same thing.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

more convolvulous ensign blend?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh well, not really worth waiting for. I have more, I swear I do, I'm just not sure where they are. Stupid computers! Can't live without them, literally can't throw them away.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm actually glad no one's reading this thread anymore.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm reading it! I think you have great flowers. :-)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Too bad they have such a lousy photographer!

me, feeling silly.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

don't feel silly - most pictures people take are lousy . . . they just take soooo many, that eventually one has to look good :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.