Bloom's from WS seedlings, part 2

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Shirley - really lovely blooms!

Joanne

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks so much, Joanne!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

*&^%$#@#$%^!!!! I have so many ws blooms to show, just can't do it because my USB port isn't with me any more. I think I got a diascia! And it's prettier than the store bought ones!

xxxx, Carrie

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I love that foxglove - I'd love a colony in my yard, but they don't want to reseed themselves [pout]

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Anita, I'm not sure why you have bad luck with foxgloves, but sometimes ya gotta help them out a little. I'm sure you know all this, but I thought I'd type out what I do. I sow them on bare ground and spread that seed around -- consider each plant has a footprint of at least a foot when full grown. I keep it weeded and watered and don't mulch it. (Weed again) That's the main part I hate because the area is so large if I leave enough space for the plants to grow, which is why I may never have a giant stand of them. However once that stand gets going, it appears the bare ground problem will be history.

As soon as they are as big as a fist, mulch it, including underneath the leaves so they rest on the mulch. That way, if you get a gusher rain, the leaves are not touching soil and rotting. It also directs water away from the crown.

I know you are south, but I have to pull my leaves up over the crown to keep winter water out of it. Believe it or not, I use a rubber band and make pony tails. They do not last all winter, but they do last long enough.

Suzy

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Thanks Suzy

Do you want any Foxglove seeds. They're.....ready!

Lobelia, "Regatta Sapphire"

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Lobelia, "Regatta Sapphire" (close up)

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Pansy, "Silver Wings".....almost ready to unfurl its beauty. I'm humming the song, "Anticipation" as I wait for it!

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Polemonium liniflorum better known as 'Jacob's Ladder'. Probably won't flower until next year, but I like the foliage.

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Prunella grandiflora "Freelander" about to blossom. It's suppose to be a great plant to attract bees & butterflies.

Still in it's milk jug! Do you think I have one to many plants in this container?! So much for controlling the amount of seeds that were sown (LOL)!!!

Here's a preview. http://www.fleuroselect.com/awardedvarietiesitem.php?id=270

This message was edited Jul 6, 2007 9:28 PM

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Suzy: Thanks for the tips on growing Foxglove successfully. I have a much more 'scientific' method of dispersing my seeds. It's called, 'shake, shake, shake' the stalk and where the seeds fall they will grow! :~)

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

that's what I tried. I do that with my silver dollar plant and it's all over and quite beautiful in the spring...

Shirley, Nice flowers; I wouldn't mind having a whole lot of Prunella -- it would be worth sowing from seed or wintersowing to get 50 or 60 of them. Yes! I would like some Foxglove, please! I just opened an envelope of commercial 'Camelot' and there were only 18 seeds! Ya can't shake shake shake with only 18 seeds, that's for sure!

Suzy

Thanks Anita. Did you wintersow your Silver Dollar plant last year? Are you absolutely positive that you don't have any little itty bitty Foxglove plants hiding from you?

Did you still want some Lychnis coronaria? I've got to cut it back in half and I'm eager to start digging some of it up. Just let me know when you would like me to send it to you.

Suzy: I'll be happy to give you some of my Foxglove seeds and a Prunella plant, if you don't mind a color suprise. Any Lychnis coronaria plants? Just remember to plant them in the middle to back of your garden bed. They do need some support to remember to stand up straight. Are you in the DG address book?

I remember that Seandor wanted some Lychnis coronaria. Does anybody else want some?

That's great, Shirley, yes, I am in the address exchange.

Don't send the Prunella or Lychnis, though, I think I need to just buy a package of prunella seeds because I'd want a bunch of them (as groundcover) and I wsd a boat load of blush pink with a red eye Lychnis (I forget the exact name) and they'll bloom next year.

So for the seed, I was thinking you could put a piece of corrugated cardboard in a business envelope and cut a little window out of it and fit the envelope of foxglove seeds inside the window to save on postage. Corrugated cardboard should be less than 1/4" thick and foxglove seeds are tiny.

I always wanted a stand of foxgoves :)) Thanks!

Suzy

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Finally have some more to show! Here is another of the Antique Flemish poppies, but this one has much more red:

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

What is this? A coreopsis? It must have been in a mix, because I wouldn't have planted it on purpose...it clashes with the surrounding plants.

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

My first ever sweet peas!!! This one is Miss Wilmott:

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Some different colors in the snapdragon mix:

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Purple alyssum:

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Red flax:

Thumbnail by zone5girl

Pretty! The Coreopsis, too :))

Z5girl, keep an eye on those snaps and as soon as the last flower of the stem finishes blooming, pinch out the whole stem. If they act like mine did on 'Crown Royal Red', you will be amazed at what happens next in terms of bloom!

Suzy

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Red flax??? I wsed salmon flax and got nary a sprout! Boo hoo.

xxx, Carrie

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Suzy, thanks for the tip!!!
Carrie, I got very few to germinate, if that makes you feel any better!

Tamara

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Shirley - I just toss the seeds when they are ripe. They form the plantlets that will become the plant the following year.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

OK, these are NOT my wintersown flowers. This is a picture of Tomtom's that I saved because I liked it so much. But she sent me seeds and I wintersowed them. They were confusing me for a while (NOIDs) because from Tt's picture, you really can't tell how small they are. They're pretty small, bigger than lobelia, smaller then one pansy petal. But I love the habit and the color - they are stiff and stand straight upright. Just like Tomtom's. Only closer. LOL. (Tomtom posts from Japan.)

xxx, Carrie

Thumbnail by carrielamont
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here are a few containers I planted with WS'd plants...

Ensign Blue & Light Blue Flash Morning Glory:

Thumbnail by Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

In bloom in this one are Ensign Blue Morning Glory, Alyssum, Schizanthus, a Marigold. Also present are Bells of Ireland, and not in bloom are a couple of Zinnias and a seed Dahlia, all wintersowed.

Thumbnail by Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Last one, a couple of Phacelia 'Tropical Surf' and two varieties of short sweet peas: 'Sugar & Spice' and 'Pink Cupid'. Sweet peas are just starting to bloom.

Joanne

Thumbnail by Grow_Jo
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I just love Phacelia. Here are some pics of my w/s zinnia

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Oh, Anita - your Zinnias are absolutely gorgeous. I must do more of them next year. Mine aren't blooming yet, I'll be thrilled if they look half as good as yours. Mine are 'Diablo' and Pompom mix.

Joanne

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

They justed started kicking in this past week. I've ordered alot for next year as well. I never realized how many shapes, sizes and colors they come in.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Ok, (drum roll please) some of MY ws flowers!

I still don't know what this is.

This message was edited Jul 8, 2007 10:49 AM

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

way to go Carrie!!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

This one was a NOID for a long long time, even ehile she (IT? he?) was blooming away. I finally figured out: it's the red mask flower (Alonsoa) that Tomtom sent me.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I was hoping these were black-eyed Susan vine, but I think they're Japanese morning glories instead. This is an old picture - one bloomed yesterday!!

This message was edited Jul 8, 2007 11:11 AM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

This has to be godetia! I planted a lot of flowers from their descriptions, which only hints at what you'll end up with!

Sorry - so blurry...

This message was edited Jul 8, 2007 11:13 AM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, I'm still wrestling with my camera. But you see, I DO have SOME.

xxx, Carrie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.