Thumbnail by PVick
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Balsam 'Peppermint Twist'

Thumbnail by PVick
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Yarrow and malva (prior years' WSing)

Thumbnail by PVick
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Yvonne's Salvia - okay, no blooms yet, but it's growing nicely ...

Thumbnail by PVick
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I love your malva, PVick!

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

And for good measure, just so we know that WSing can help us produce food - here are my WSed tomatoes (if you look close, you'll see the toms);

Thumbnail by PVick
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Seandor!

Judging from all the beautiful pics, it seems safe to say that y'all had a successful WS season!

PV

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

PV: Very pretty! You never cease to amaze me with what you grow up there! How big is that balcony anyway? I picture it the size of a football field.

How big is your Yvonne's salvia? Mine is just starting to bloom.

Karen

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

LOL, Karen! My balcony is 20' long by 6' wide .... I do manage to cram a lot of stuff in there, though.

The salvia was actually spring-sown; the ws'ed ones croaked in that Easter freeze. It's only begun to take off in the last couple of weeks and is now about 10" tall, and getting bigger daily. Can't wait to see the flowers. Since mine is in a pot, I'm not expecting any 6' wonders, but it should do fine anyway.

Do post a pic of yours - how tall is it?

PV

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

OK, PV, you forced me to finally get out there and take a picture of it. My smallest are just 20" and the tallest is 33". A few of the tall ones are starting to bloom but the smaller ones are just forming buds.

This is the tallest- 33 inches.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

This whole line of them.

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Another group on the other side of the yard.

I created these beds just for the Yvonne's salvia, by lasagna garden. They both are extensions of previously existing border beds currently holding 4 o'clocks.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Tallest in this group

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

very nice everyone -

PV, I'm always impressed with your garden

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Wow, so much variety! I love to see what everyone has grown.

Poppy 'Laurens Springer Grape'

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Sweet pea 'Perfumed Delight' (this is the first little blossom, can't wait til it's all blooming)

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Zinnia 'Pumila mix'...unfortunately this pink one is the only one that germinated, but it's cute, isn't it?

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Salvia 'Victoria Blue' ... seeds cames all the way from England

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Nasturium 'Princess of India'

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Grape tomato 'Cupid'

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Black-eyed susan vine

Thumbnail by grampapa
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Karen, your Yvonne's are looking good! With the surround look, they will be beautiful when all are in bloom. And it looks like yours are well on the way to giant-hood!

Thanks, Anita! I do try - my problem is that I tend to forget (read "ignore") that I'm gardening in a very limited space. Gets me in trouble sometimes.

grampapa - nice plants! I envy you your sweet pea; tried them for the first time this year, and all the seeds rotted on me. Oh, well. There's always next year ...

PV

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Anita: Thanks for the link to lumapix. com. I'll definitely check it out.
Karen: Love your Salvia, 'Yvonne'. Be on the look out for in coming hummers! Save some seeds, please, please, please.
P.V: Beautiful w/s flowers on a balcony setting high above the roof tops of N.Y.C.! Well done!! I especially love your Balsam, "Peppermint Twist", purple Malva and delicious looking 'maters. A very Happy Belated Birthday to you!
Gram: I'm so envious of your Poppy, "Lauren Springer's Grape" and Sweet Pea, "Perfume Delight". Both my Poppies & Sweet Peas pooped out on me from our heat & humidity before I could get outside with my camera. Bummer! Love your Black Eye Susan vine. That's incredible how big it's gotten in such a short amount of time! Just beautiful!

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

PVick, your flowers are gorgeous, especially that lovely balsam, and that tomato! Too much! You've really done well with WSing.

And Grampapa, I love that sweet pea.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

So THAT's what Balsam looks like. Could we see a pic of the whole plant? I wish my guys would BLOOM more. My BESV's haven't even shown which ones they sre.

I've started avoiding this thread since it's so hard for me to post.

xxx, Carrie

Here's the W/S poppies this AM, with buds of more blooms coming....

Thumbnail by
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

OK OK I got my new computer!!!! Got to finish setting it up but then.... It'll be picture-posting city.

xx, Carrie

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

garden6: Pretty poppies! Gorgeous color. What kind are they? My 2nd year perennial ones are still putting out flowers, though less prolific than earlier.

Karen

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Hey Karen, Happy Birthday!!!

Thumbnail by claypa

Happy Birthday Karen!! They are papaver rhoeas' with the heat they're lighter in color, but still blooming.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Happy birthday, Karen!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Happy Brithday, Karen!

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Happy Birthday, Karen! Another July baby!

claypa - is that an azalea? Soooo pretty!

Lovely shot, Suzy!

Carrie - here's the best shot I have of the whole balsam plant. They're not as full as I expected (first time I've grown them), but they're young yet, so maybe they'll get fuller.

Thumbnail by PVick
West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes PVick, it's a Kurume hybrid Azalea, not sure which one though. It's redder than the picture. My favorite plant, in this yard anyway. I have a tray of cuttings rooting right now!! I've tried for a long time to root evergreen Azaleas, I always messed up before.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you for the birthday greetings. At my age you stop counting them, and don't tell anybody it's your birthday.

claypa: beautiful azalea, brilliant color. They don't do well here in out alkaline clay and I gave up on them long ago. I'm jealous.

Great butterfly picture, Illoquin.

Karen

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Here is one of my most impressive first year plants...Rudbeckia hirta 'Indian Summer' (at least its grandparent was 'Indian Summer'). This might be my favorite plant if they were longer lived. For reference the plant is 2' tall and the largest flower is about 4" wide. It has 7 more buds that will be flowering soon!

- Brent

Thumbnail by Brent_In_NoVa
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Happy Birthday, Karen!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

yes, Happy Birthday!!!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Karen, Happy Belated Birthday greetings!

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Um Claypa? About those gorgeous Azalea cuttings? (You can't tell it but I'm batting my eyelashes at you). :D

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.