Bloom's from WS seedlings, part 2

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Nice Carrie - congrats!
Your first picture kind of looks like Mimulus (Monkey Flower). Did you wintersow any of those? Just a guess...

Joanne

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Carrie, My guess would be diascia or its relative, nemesia. Great pics, BTW! Tamara

This message was edited Jul 8, 2007 1:41 PM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Very nice, everyone.

Here are a few of mine, taken July 4.

Karen

Zowie zinnia

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I had some Lilliput zinnias that were really cute yesterday; today for their photo shoot they were all wilted but it's been raining for a few hours now. I'll try again for tomorrow; maybe they'll be revived. Also, now that I know what they are, I transplanted the alonsoa into a nicer container.

Joanne, the more I look at that first picture, the less I recognize it. I don't even recognize the pot! And I don't remember planting mimulus. I did plant lots of diascia, but it was all 'cherub kiss pink' or something and I haven't seen hide nor hair of it.

OK, now I recognize the pot, but I think it's empty now! I don't remember that other stuff being in there. Sigh. And it can't be a senior moment; I'm under 50. Oh well. Maybe somebody hacked into "my pictures" and opened the file called "homegrown" and stuck it in there... it's possible.

x, C

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

OOps.. I left for a phone call.

Here's apricot profusion zinnia

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

A lot of pink ones

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, I think I have those too, but they were called Apricot Shimmer? They're little, right? (your Apricot Profusions.)

xx, Carrie

This message was edited Jul 8, 2007 9:15 PM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

ummm... this 'n that

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Carrie, so far the plant is small, but I've had profusions befor that turned into large bushes.

Here's salvia coral nymph, I really like this one.

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

rud. prarie sun

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Last one- a really crowded bed

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I want that Zowie Zinnia! Awesome. Goes on my list for next year's WS. Thanks for sharing your pictures Karen!

Joanne

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I posted the wrong picture
here's the rud. prarie sun

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

very nice. Here are a few from today..Poppies

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Karen,

That salvia coral nymph - is that a perennial you sowed in 2005-6? I think I planted it, just haven't ID'd it yet.

xx, Carrie

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I just love them - I might just throw seeds around the neighborhood!!!

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I also love the Mexican Sunflower..I wish there were more varieties of this

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

carrie: That coral nymph is an annual here. I wintersowed it this year. It really is beautiful and the picture doesn't do it justice.

Karen

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Jo: I really enjoy your containers of ws flowers! I just love that color of Convolousvous, "Blue Ensign". That is one of my favorite flowers because I don't think you can ever have to much blue in the garden.

Tamara: Beautiful flowers especially the Antique Flemish poppies. I'm in love!

Anita: Great photo montage and very colorful Zinnias & Poppies! They always bring a smile to my face.

Karen: Your island bed is looking terrific this year! It's really filling out and is full of beautiful flowering plants. You realize that the more crowded a bed is, the less room there is for weeds to grow!

Did you ws the Nicotiana too? Which variety are you growing? They are so fragrant. I just love them.

Yeah Carrie! You were finally able to post some of your beautiful ws blooms! They are lovely!!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I did Shirley and that's another plant that I love. It w/s well and is quick to grow and flower.

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Anita, your flower collages are wonderful.

Joanne

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Shirley: Years ago I direct planted something called "nicotiana mix". I just sprinkled seeds on top of the soil in early spring. That was probably 5 or 6 years ago, and they have been re-seeding throughout my yard ever since, with many mutations. I actually compost more than I let grow each year because they're so prolific.

Another benefit of crowding the beds with flowers is that the soil isn't so baked by the sun, and since the sun doesn't hit the ground it doesn't dry out as much. Early in the year I was watering about every day. Now if it's watered well it can go a week before the soil really dries, despite the heat and drought. It's supposed to be about 94 degrees again today, and nothing has been watered since it finally rained last Thursday. I have to get out there and check now but I don't think it really needs to be watered yet.

Karen

My W/S snapdragons......

Thumbnail by

My W/S celosia 'Pink candles' with anise hyssop budding in the background to the left...

Thumbnail by

My W/S zinnias with sweet alyssum...

Thumbnail by

My W/S coleus...

Thumbnail by
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Great pics, everyone! Keep 'em coming! Anita, your collages are wonderful and after seeing your nicotiana, I'm definitely WS some next year! I actually did buy some nicotiana sylvestris seed, but never got around to planting it and the seedlings died. :-P
Tamara

Anita: Bright & colorful montage of Nicotiana. Well done! Which software photo imaging program do you use?

Karen: Since I love Nicotiana, I'm going to take your advice and sprinkle some seeds in my garden. I hope it will reseed with wild abandon. Yes, I agree that crowding a lot of plants in a garden does help the soil from drying out, as well as using mulch.

I guess that means that I need to get busy and do some "summer sowing". Certain fresh seeds such as Hellebores & Clematis need to be sown while the temps & soil are are like a heating mat. I'm going to take advantage of this hot spell and sow some more seeds!

garden6: Lovely flowers! When did you ws your Coleus? Which variety is it? It's gorgeous!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Shirley: I'm sure the nicotiana would do well wintersown in a jug, too. I did the direct sowing before I found WSing. But direct sowing is easy and skips the planting out stage. You can always compost the extras or transplant to other spots to thin out some. Like I said, I've never replanted in 5 or 6 years.

Nicotiana really does grow like weeds for me. Same for melampodium and verbena bonariensis.

Karen

Thanks Karen. I did ws 4 different varieties of Nicotiana in 2006. Yes, it does ws very easily, however, I didn't have any of mine re-seed. Bummer!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Shirley - I use Lumapix FotoFusion to create my collages. I've only had nicotiania reseed itself once.

Thanks Shirley!! The coleus was a surprise, it emerged with the impatiens which I W/S in March. Most of my impatiens ended up as duds except one camellia impatien with deep salmon blooms and the coleus!! I bought the impatien seeds at Walmart...Go figure, so I don't have any idea of the named variety, but it was a very nice surprise just the same!! ;0)

This message was edited Jul 9, 2007 7:12 PM

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I had success with w/s impatiens, except they come into bloom so late in the season that I've decided it's not worth it. I will try coleus next year though. I also take cuttings at the end of the season and then come early spring start cuttings off of those plants. The ones in my garden this year are from last years cuttings.

Thanks Anita. I'll have to Goggle 'Lumapix FotoFusion' as I'm not familiar with that photo editing software.

I also take Coleus cuttings because they are so easy to root in water. Unfortunately, hybridizers do not release very many varieties of Coleus to gardeners who wish to grow it from seed.

Pansy, 'Silver Wings' is finally in bloom!

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

here ya go Shirley - http://www.lumapix.com/ .

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks for posting that link to lumapix, Anita. I'm going to check it out as well.

Shirley - really pretty pansy!

Joanne

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

My new computer was NOT delivered today - I wasn't home when they came.... Booo. More and more of my NOIDs are revealing themselves by blooming! Can't post, but there's an oriental poppy flowering! Is that possible? Or maybe it's a different kind of poppy but does that mean it's an annual kind?

My ensign blend Morning Glory bloomed too - I think I was expecting more of a bush.

Pretty flowers, everyone.

x, Carrie

Carrie~ my W/S poppies are still blooming!

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Finally have some WS blooms to talk about:

Zinnia 'Profusion' Orange:

Thumbnail by PVick

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.