Bloom's from WS seedlings, part 2

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Brag away! Let's see pics of all those pretties! Here is my very favorite...'Flemish Antique' poppy--it's the only one I got to germinate out of the entire seed packet!

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Snapdragon, first bloom:

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Not really a bloom, but I did WS this blue fescue grass:

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's a few of my first WS blooms:

Poached Eggs

Thumbnail by Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Double Shirley Poppy

Thumbnail by Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Schizanthus

Thumbnail by Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Bachelor's Button 'Black Ball'

Thumbnail by Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

And an annual Hare's Tail Grass. I will do lots of milk jugs of this next year. I love it.
I also WS Blue Fescue, zone5girl, but my plants are not nearly as large as yours.

Joanne

Thumbnail by Grow_Jo
Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Now I am really mad that I was too lazy to get my Hare's Tail grass in the ground! The seedlings all dried up and died. After seeing how cute your's are, I'll defnitely be sure to take care of them next year! Tamara

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Wow you guys, you have some great blooms and are giving me all kinds of ideas for next year.

Jo, what is that deep red plant you have growing with the hare's tail? It looks very similar to something I've had for years but never known the name. Does it get quite large with the same maroon colored plumes? And self seed like CRAZY?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi Lala, it's Amaranthus 'Fat Spike'.
I grew it from seed started under grow lights. First time for me, but I think Amaranthus does self seed. And this one will have fuzzy purple spikes. There are lots of types of Amaranthus - maybe that's what you've got. I have another purple one called 'Velvet Curtain'.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks for responding Joane. After doing a search on Amaranthus 'Fat Spike' my mystery plant is still a mystery. Yours appears to have deep red foliage (like mine) but all the web pictures showed the spike as a deep maroon, but the foliage is green. Plus my plumes are more,,,,well plume-like, LOL. I'll have to post a picture when it "blooms" it really is gorgeous (or else I wouldn't let a half dozen of them grow every year while I weed out the 586,946 other seedlings sprouting beside them).

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Lala, did you check in the DG Plant Files? If you type Amaranthus in Genus and hit search, you'll come up with lots of different Amaranthus.

Joanne

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

hmmm - I missed this thread.... Here are few of mine.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

oops.. Henry Eilers!

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

OK, here they are.

Is this diascia? I sowed tons but the no id thing was a problem. This is the only one that seems to have bloomed. I like it so much better than the ones I bought this year.

Thumbnail by carrielamont
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Carrie,
It looks like Anagallis to me. I just bought the 'Wildcat Blue' yesterday yesterday and they also had 'Wildcat Orange' that look like the picture you posted.

Joanne

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

No, not that. That's an anagalis I bought. Maybe this. Oh shoot, I can't find the darn photo. Did anyone grow diascia?

xxx, Carrie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes, Jo, I spent all that time trying to find the picture in question. Thank, though. :-(

x, Carrie

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I didn't grow mine from seed...I cheated and bought one--Proven Winners Trailing Antique Rose. Tamara

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh. I planted Angel's kiss OR blushing cherub OR something. I knew I wanted a lot. Now I have some that I bought and some that I grew.

xxx, Carrie

Greenwich, OH

WS Magnus Coneflower in 2005 .First bloom today.

Thumbnail by skimper
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

This little cutie is called something like blackberry cream sorbet

Thumbnail by Seandor
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

some of the bachelor buttons

Thumbnail by Seandor
Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Anita, Dear Anita, Sweet Anita!

Any chance you'd save some seed from that gorgeous Henry Eilers for me? Pretty Please?

Sea -- Nice blues. Love that Blackberry Cream Sorbet Voila.

Glad to see some of the folks up north have some blooms -- are you always just starting this late in the season? I just pulled the poppies that have finished blooming and am getting ready to pull the cornflowers...I'm in Zone 5.

Suzy

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Some stuff is a bit late this year, but we had a really late spring snow fall this year - May 24th, can you believe it??? It set us back a bit.
The other thing I found is that I didn't get my WS into the ground as early as I would have liked, so things are a bit later because of that too. Next year I will NOT sow 50 milk jugs. Maybe half that. LOL. Too much stuff to deal with all at once. I had to pot everything up and give a lot of it away and that was time consuming. Has been great fun, though.

Joanne

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Suzy - I think that I simply didn't get them in the ground early enough. While you discussing planting out lots and lots of itty bitty plants, I was taking my seedlings and putting them in little paper pots. I think had I planted them directly into the ground I would have had flowers earlier.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Can we quote you on that Jo?

x, C

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

You mean the part about the number of WS containers? Nope. LOL.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Also, next year I will LABEL what I plant so it won't be July before I figure some of these things out!

Honestly, I have really pretty flowers too, it's just that the USB port on this computer is dead, so I can't upload my pictures.

x, C

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Suzy - if I remember, I will.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Poppies and BBs

Thumbnail by Lala_Jane
North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Painted Tongue

Thumbnail by Lala_Jane
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Way to go everybody! Look at all of those beautiful blooms!!!

Here are some of mine.

Alstromeria (1st year in bloom!)

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Larkspur

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Salvia superba, "Rose Queen"

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Sedum

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Cosmos, "Gloria"

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Dianthus, "Carnation Pinks"
(sorry to repeat the picture, but I really love it)

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Strawberry Foxglove

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.