Snowrose started a thread about variegated foliage

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't remember where her thread was. Here is a pretty variegated spath....

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

this pothos just can't be 'Queen'....you can't see in the picture but many leaves have very little green in them....

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Beautiful large healthy looking variegated spath and I do believe that is pothos "Marble Queen" .

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok, it is Marble Queen....thanks

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Oh boy, I love Spaths! Where did you get that one? Wanna trade? I have some Chinese Evergreen 'Silver Bay' divisions ;~) I gotta have a variegated Spath LOL.

Lana

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

:-)

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I recognize the Dusty Miller, but what is the other plant, dale??
This variegated spath is new............I like to let them grow for a couple of months at least before division....you might check back with me this summer, Lana.
gail

gessiegail:That is a marble queen pathos. Sometimes you can find them with leaves that are practically white! Nice plant!

Susan

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

thanks Susan!!!

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Sure will, Gail, thanks :~)

Lana

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Gail, those are all scented geraniums (species Pelargonium).

I love the snail leaves of some Rex Begonias.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Philodendrom gloriosum

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Coleus are plants with variegated foliage.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

variegated means irregular patches of color-Hybrid croton>

North Augusta, ON

I never knew that Dale!! I always thought variegated had to be light (white or cream) and green.....learn something new every day I do....

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

variegated with other colors than white and green opens up a whole new world.
Bougainvilla 'Raspberry Ice'

North Augusta, ON

Oh my...I had that one for years.....lost him this past winter.......new leaves are a nice pinkish colour.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

variegated Kale

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Dale, I seem to be able to grow most anything except Rex begonias....I have about 6 of them, but they don't like me!!!! I don't know what i do wrong with them. They have pretty foliage except that most days I find myself picking off dead foliage.....I think maybe I have the crowns of the plants too high out of the soil??? Is that a possibility??

I am not sure I am going to get into coleus very seriously.....the winds always die down the first of May but all spring they blow at 40mph from the southeast and make it very difficult to grow plants outside. Only the fittest survive the winds....

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Gail, Rex need to be in high humidity, dry a little between waterings and monthly fertilizer. They like a 'light' soil, somewhere between orchid media and rich garden soil. If you haven't repotted them recently (every 2 yrs) that might be a cause. Their rhizomes don't suffer from being a little exposed. The best soil would be oak leaf compost, but, I haven't seen that at a garden center for many years. Takes at least a year to produce oak leaf compost, not a high turn over product, business loses interest. Needless to say I make my own.

Aloe is a variegated plant.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I love anything variegated .....now that I know it doesn't just have to be green and white...........I will be taking pictures soon to share.....thanks for the info on the rex begonias...will repot...and come up with a richer and lighter soil....

San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

I believe this is a "marble queen"? Do you think? The tips of the leaves have been turning brown??? I may need to repot it. It's in a hanging pot that you water from the bottom. My mother-in-law gave me a cutting from her plant and this is what it has become. It's the first plant I started when I moved to Texas from Alabama. I've had it almost 2 years and have made several "children" from it.
Is it a pathos"marble queen"? What can i do for the tips turning brown?
Thanks, Elizabeth

Thumbnail by ejennings
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

ejennings - Knowing nothing about your plant's environment or the culture it receives, I will make a stab at what I think from what I see in your photo. First, I think yours is a Golden Pothos. It is in a pot that looks too big and is one of those that do not drain but rather holds the water. Brown tips could be caused by under or overwatering or soluable salt problems, lack of humidity, etc. I would repot your plant. Has it been in that pot for 2 years? If there is extra soil unfilled by roots, gently remove some of that and replace with fresh in a somewhat smaller pot. When the plant has outgrown it's container, then repot moving up in size. Keep your pothos moist, not sopping wet or too dry.

I hope this was helpful to you.

(Zone 1)

Elizabeth: I agree with Snowrose, I think your plant is a Golden Pothos, and it looks like it's in a pot that's too large. I have grown Potho's for years, both the Golden and the Marble Queen. I have also always had the problem with leaf tips browning. We have more humidity down this way than we know what to do with, so I know my problem isn't lack of humidity. My Pothos plants prefers being on the dry side, so I only water every two weeks. I think the problem with mine is the salt build up in the soil .... I need to repot into a fresher, well draining soil. Years ago I couldn't keep plants alive for very long, I would overwater everything, now they seem to thrive on neglect. Here's a photo of one of my 'Marble Queen' Pothos:

Thumbnail by plantladylin
San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

Yes yall have been very helpful. It has been in the pot for almost 2 years. I need to repot with fresh soil anyway and in smaller pot now. It will get fuller that way, won't it? I guess since it started as a small cutting, I think it is big.LOL
I used to spray its leaves with water, but slacked up since having a baby. I need to make myself do that again..

Plantladylin- yours is beautiful!! I hope mine gets half that pretty.
I got some moisture control soil. Should I use that?
Thank you and after I repot it I will send another picture. :)
Elizabeth

(Zone 1)

Elizabeth: I usually use Miracle Grow Moisture Control or just regular Miracle Grow Potting Soil, that I buy at Wal-Mart or Home Depot. Most of my houseplants are out on my pool deck and a covered/shaded deck and I just drag the hose around and water them, spraying anything and everything out there, I think it helps to keep the dust/dirt off the leaves so they can breathe easier!

Good luck with your repotting effort and yes, please post a photo when you get it repotted.

Lin

San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

Lin, I got Miracle Grow Moisture Control. My desert candle loves it. It has grown almost 3 in. and has sprouts in just 2 months.
Maybe my golden pothos will like it too?!
I hope to repot in next day or so.
Thanks, Elizabeth

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Very gated foilage

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

dale, you never change...always a smile and a joke!!!!! love this very gated coleus!!!!

(Zone 1)

Love that Very Gated Coleus Foliage, Dale! I am a sucker for any plant that has pink as a color, or one of the colors! There are some really pretty coleus out there nowadays!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Lin, you will have to start trading with my friend in the next little town.....because of dale, she now has 45 cultivars and I am giving her all of mine ............then she will let me take cuttings this summer from all of them just to send out.....I don't have any place in the country for these beauties........Patti's favorite color is pink!!!!

(Zone 1)

Gail: With all that land, you don't have any place for Coleus?? I just love most Coleus .... some pretty colors and variety's! I have planted seed in the past, but didn't think about it this year! Maybe next Spring I will grow some more from seed.

Yep ... Pink has always been one of my favorite colors! Many years ago I had one of our bathrooms all in pink ... my husband said it made him nauseous! He isn't real fond of pink on the walls or linens. He likes me to wear pink or any bright colors, but did not like the bathroom with pink rug, towels, shower curtain .... hee hee .... good thing we have always had two bathrooms! That was many years ago when I was young ... no more pink walls or towels etc now. But I love pink, rose and burgundy colors in clothes to wear! And, I adore Pink flowers and foliage!

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

OMGosh, that reminds me of when I stopped at a friends house with the little boy I babysit. Of course the 5 yo I watch had to go potty so I turned the light on in the bathroom for him while he was trying to hurry out of his pants...he stopped and said I can't go in here it's too pink! I went howling laughing thru the house after taking him to another bathroom :~D

Lana

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Pink is a showy color for leaves.

(Zone 1)

Oh Lana ... that is soooo cute! I probably would have wet my pants laughing so hard!

Hey Dale: Maybe we should start a thread dedicated to only "Pink" plants! Anything with pink foliage to flowers! I wonder how many photo's everyone could come up with?! It would probably end up being a very long thread!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

OK, you first

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

how wonderful is that!!! Is it an amaranthus (sp?) of some kind???

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

GG, Yep it is amaranthus (illumination?)

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't know what this is.....it is not pretty now as i had to cut it way back from the strong spring winds.....I have several of them just because I like the colors of the foliage..

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Has to be some variegated foliage in here somewhere.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.