April daily weather; Meteor hits PA!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well the skies are a poppin and an erie glow coming from the northwest here in southern Maryland. Alas the alliens are messing with the wind and clouds too. Another six weeks of frost expected as far south as El Paso, Texas.
These tulips were in full bloom, but decided they had opened too soon and have started closing back up and reverting to pale green.
I am going to Portland, Pa tomorrow for a week or two of frolicking in a boiler. No work, just fun and games for the big bucks too.
Weather there now is at 825 ft / 251 m
38.5 °F / 3.6 °C
Clear
Humidity: 24%
Dew Point: 5 °F / -15 °C
Weather in Jacksonville is mostly clear. Lows in the 20s. Light winds except north to west 10 to 20 mph.
Come by often and post your great pictures and a word or not about the weather where you are or where you are not.
Hugs,
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

We had a strange eastern light coming up just above the earth that seemed to have a reddish, orangish, yellowish glow to it this morning......It think it has been there before but in different ionic forms unlike those northern lights I just read about. The wind is cold and the temp. is 42 degrees. No northern lights here but I do declare I think that thing might be moving some or could it be we're the ones moving?? Most call it the......... April Fools everyone. No April fools here that thing is called the sun and it's a welcomed sight today.No more rain for awhile. Maybe it'll dry up things so I can do some mowing.

Cuckoo

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well Nature did the April Fool's Joke here....
Woke up to grey and wet...... now the Sun's out and it's gorgeous.....

No meteors here but we did see some Big Brown Bats last night....
and a Great Horned Owl took a Squirrel out in our Maple...

Our neighbor and I were talking yesterday... the trees and plants are about 2 weeks ahead of schedule here....
We will be looking at below freezing temps by Thursday morning.....
Looks like the plants will be rollin' back in.....
But for today it's 63 going to 75, Sunny and Calm....

Here's an early bloomer

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Early – Sounds like an incredible night you had! Northern Lights and a meteor! How big is the meteor? Did you take more pictures? Two amazing pictures! Or are you just pulling our legs?! I can be very gullible!
Sidney – I love the daffodils and tulips – great color combination.
Cuckoo – LOL!

74.5 °F / 23 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 42%
Dew Point: 49 °F / 9 °C
Wind: 4.0 mph / 6 km/h from the South Wind Gust: 7.8 mph / 12 km/h
Pressure: 30.18 in / 1021.9 hPa
Heat Index: 77 °F / 25 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Few 15000 ft / 4572 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Rest of Today
Partly cloudy. High 78 coast. South winds 10 to 15 mph...becoming southeast.

I got the giggles when I saw this guy...

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Ric - very nice! I'm amazed that the temps get up to over 70°F and then you can expect freezing next week! And I thought the plants here had it rough ...... a heatwave at this time of year would be around 50°F lol. Well it's close to that now, 48°F, cloudy and not so windy ..... a pretty nice day to be outside. Unfortunately I'm stuck inside with a cold :-(

The votes have been counted and the enlarged Aluminum plant was rejected ....... by a margin of 88 votes. The turnout was 76.6% and 50,3% said no while 49,7% said yes ...... it was awfully close. Fortunately those 88 votes were on the right side ;-) I'm very relieved - I was a bit worried that they'd get it accepted. Despite the slim margin - the result will stand according to the mayor.

Anyway - have a good day and don't get tricked into running april fool's ;-)

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

Sharon - we cross posted - neat photo! :-) lol

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Blooms.........Of course I had photos! I would NEVER post a story like that without concrete evidence to back it up.

Ric..........It's still raining here. I looked at the radar and it should clear out in an hour or so and I'll be able to get out and survey the damage from the meteor.
I've done a bit of owl nest photography over the years. They sure do love those squirrels and rabbits. There was a barred owl calling in the woods behind the house a few days ago. Nice redbud pic!

Sharona..........Of course it's all true. My Mama taught me never to lie on lthe first day of April.

Rannveig.........The weather here is usually a mixed bag this time of the year. We had 70's last week and the forecast for next week calls for snow Thursday through Sunday. bummer!

My encounter with the meteor is here:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3342045

http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3342061

early_bloomer

This message was edited Apr 1, 2007 11:11 AM

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Sugar, I'm glad you get to play for a change! Love the tulips!

Cuckoo, I think we're getting you and Pepper's weather from last night.

Ric, a freeze for us too this week. That poor squirrel. He had a cruel death. Love redbuds!

Sharon, I love that picture. Giggling too!

Rann, I'm glad your vote won.

Early, I'll have to come back to see your link. For some reason, when I enlarge a picture I lose what I've written. I got a kick out of your story on the other link!! Neat photography!

Pretty flowers everyone! (From the other link.)

46* and a chilly wind. It's grey and gloomy, but perfect computer weather. We had a good storm blow in last night but didn't lose any branches. Just got another half inch of rain. We got a bit of rain this morn too.

No April Fool jokes here. I'm not good at them.

Daffodils. 80' of them, but only the East half bloom first. They all came from 6 bulbs. My Grandma gave me 3 in 1982 and my Aunt the other 3 in 1985. I don't think I've posted it already.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Jeeze guys, I must not be very good at April Fools. I will not be playing, but am headed to Portland, Pa.
Sidney

(Zone 3b)

And happy April Fools day, too, to all..
It's a "celebrate 4 April birthday's" bbq here today. Having a couple dozen family here for the event.
17*F and sunny.
Anyone catch this April Fool's day joke?
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Kernville, CA

perfect temperature again 75.
There is a fish swimming around in the lake, and he is wearing a tag worth $10,000.00!!
It isn't an April fools.................
Its the fishin' derby!

Wow - it's hot outside! 81 sultry degrees.....I might actually get a tan this year!

Kiska - all your snow melted in one day!! It's a miracle ... all the warmth must be radiating from the meteor in Early's yard!!

Me & DH taking a break from a bike ride around town earlier this afternoon. He's a goober...!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Sidney............I knew you were kidding when I read "boiler" and "frolicking" in the same sentence. Where is Portland Pa located? Never heard of it.

Kiska..........The flowers are beautiful! It's amazing what a warm-up into the teens and a little sunshine can do.

Billy..........Nice looking bed. I hope you post a pic of it when it's in full bloom this summer.

My daffodils are starting to bloom. Here's a photo of one of my favorites.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

These guys are really tiny! Here's a photo of one in my hand to give some idea of scale.

early_bloomer

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Our daffys have quit blooming here. But my tulips are going full force and looking great!! Everything else has leaves on it icluding all the trees. I need to check my sugar maple and ninebark though to see if they have anything on them. Just planted them last fall.

Today it is really nice out. Upper 60s and just breezy not gusty. And the sun is shining with all her might!!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Sidney, an erie glow or an eerie glow? Since it was in PA, I guess it was an Erie glow. ;-)

Nothing weird here - calm and still and nice.

Updated: 11:51 AM PDT on April 01, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
72 °F / 22 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 30%
Dew Point: 39 °F / 4 °C
Wind: 5 mph / 7 km/h / 2.1 m/s from the SSW

giant coreopsis

Thumbnail by Kelli
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

No meteors or other strange April 1st phenomena here, but something almost as unusual: Rain!
Just started a few minutes ago and I hope it keeps up for a bit. It's been weeks!

We had a lovely weekend with temps in the 70s. More of the same expected this week, with a little breeziness.

They said a 1/4 million people were in town for the Cooper River Bridge Run, but I spent today reducing the never-ending pile o' topsoil....again. It's down to a large lump now. :)
Deb

Kernville, CA

Good Afternoon,
The wind is blowing pretty good northward from the lake.
Sadly a jeep found its way across the dry diverted river fork over to the main fork, which is in front of our house. The vehicles run down the grasses and make paths, which end up looking ugly.

Sharon: Are you and Fred good friends?
Rann: Glad to hear that you got your favor with the aluminum plant.
Kiska: What is the elevation at your place? Ridgecrest is a short, scenic drive 50 miles eastward. Ever been there? Glad you're having some bbq weather!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Kelli I fell in love w/ the giant coreopsis when we were out there.
I've been growing them for 5 years now.
Nothing like a 10' tall flower to say "Hey look at me!"

We are scheduled for 26 degrees by Thursday morning...getting out the sheets...
We have Elephant Ears coming up already!

Here's the first clump of Muscari

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Kelli........It sure looks dry there. It's surprising the coreopsis is flowering so well with so little water.

Deb..........Still shoveling huh? I bet you're sore in places you didn't even know you had. :) Hopefully you will get enough rain to do some good.

It's 60º here at 9:00. A thunderstorm blew through here this evening but it kind of split and went north and south of us. We got some heavy rain and some wind but it was short lived. A really nasty cell with a lot of lighting passed just to the north of here. The light looked promising so I went for a drive hoping for a few good photos. The sun broke through for about a minute and I had time to grab what turned out to be the only shot of the night. It's a farm scene fairly typical of the area at this time of year.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Apr 1, 2007 9:21 PM

I have that muscari growing along with another little purple plant that just appeared in there this year. Will post pics when am able to get computer fixed.

Love that pic E_B!!! Did your sunflowers survive the attack?

EB and all I begged off on the Portland, Pa job. The Portland Burough is a widespot above Allentown on the Delaware river.
I will attempt again at 8am to get another job right where I am.
Here it's 52.5 °F / 11.4 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 49 °F / 10 °C
Looking for rain.
Sidney

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Sunshine all day
High 77*,
Low 45*,
It's still 68* at eleven at nite.
I've got red tulips and there's a bit of gold allysum already starting to flower.
It's a bit early for the allysum but the tulips are right on time.

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Aw Sugar, ya got me!

Tigpie, are you going fishing? Too bad about the jeepsters. I wouldn't like it either.

Sharon, you and the goober look good together!

Early, I love the tiny daffodils! Neat sky!!!

Pepper, I think I get your weather today!

Kelli, I love the coreopsis, but, how heavy is that rock, and I want it :))

Deb, just when it looks hopeless, it does rain!

Ric, I love tall flowers too. Love the grape hyacinth. Mine isnt blooming yet, but I see buds.

Blooms, the red is so cheery. I have tulips up and only a couple are rabbit nibbled so far. Crossing fingers we have a few cats hanging around for control.

DH is up early for the last time. He went to work to sign his retirement papers! His retirement chairs are varnished and officially set in the yard.

At 4:40 am it was 40*. I can't even say Dyson dark because the moon is full and bright.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Deb – You’ve been busy too! I took yesterday off so I’ll be back at it sometime this week. First day on new part-time job – not sure of the schedule. Anything is better than the old job though!
Ric – We have a “cold” front coming through Wednesday night. Our high on Thursday is 72!
Early – Such a beautiful picture of your area!
Billy – Nice retirement Adirondack chairs!! All polished and ready to go!

64.2 °F / 17 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 60 °F / 15 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.12 in / 1019.9 hPa
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 15000 ft / 4572 m

Today
Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers in the afternoon. High 81coast. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph becoming southeast 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.

Here is the paper mill

Thumbnail by MySharona

The original jail...now the Amelia Island Museum of History

Thumbnail by MySharona

The Marina re-vamp is almost complete

Thumbnail by MySharona

Pelicans - look closely there are several in the picture

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Great photos Sharon ....... I counted 6 (?) Loved the photo of you and hubby - so nice to put a face to a name ;-) Good luck on your new job!

It's cloudy, not so windy and 52°F ..... actually a very good day to spend outside if I wasn't still stuck inside with a cold. DH and I are both home sick today ..... Selma is off for Easter break now so Hildur Eva got the day off too .... only seemed fair since everyone else was staying home ;-)

Loved all the photos - EB - both the cute tiny daffs and the farm scene :-)

Kiska - a bbq in 17°F???? That's something I haven't tried - hope the gathering went well :-)

Great photos everyone else too ;-)

rannveig

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I was so happy about rain last night, but it only lasted about 15 minutes. :( So, I was out watering again this morning. Currently 71F on it's way to 82 they say, and sunny.
Deb

(Zone 3b)

Nice photos, everyone - good see you and DH, Sharon. I've never seen pelicans., pretty cute...hope you'll enjoy the new job.
Sidney - hope you'll get something, too.
E_B, the sunlight is fantastic on the farmlands..beautiful.

10am. sunny, bright and 27*F.
Our guests are now on their way to Fairbanks, about 325 miles from here in Palmer, for a few days.
tigpie - the elevation here in Palmer is 240 feet. I've been to Ridgecrest once, many years ago.
Rann - glad the election went the way you were hoping. Yes, bbq at 17*F, just the way it is. There were 23 here and all the kids (10 cousins) got along well and played in the snow most of the time.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

The forecast doesn't say that it is humid but it feels humid to me.

Updated: 4:03 PM PDT on April 02, 2007
Observed at: Near Superior St School, Chatsworth, California
Elevation: 895 ft / 272 m
79.3 °F / 26.3 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 37%
Dew Point: 51 °F / 10 °C
Wind: 5.0 mph / 8.0 km/h / 4.1 m/s from the SE
Wind Gust: 7.0 mph / 11.3 km/h

a hillside of giant coreopsis

Thumbnail by Kelli
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kiska: You are keeping your guests busy! I bet they're having a great time.
Kelli: I never knew there was such a thing as giant coreopsis. Thanks for the pics.

Wish it would rain...
Deb

(PS/Dwarf coreopsis.)

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Hi everyone – glad you like the pics…I have more!
I am one wiped out woman! First day on the job and they “try” to kill me!! LOL!
Rann – You’re right – 6 pelicans!
Kiska – What kind of grill do you have? Ours doesn’t heat well if we’re in the low 30’s! You had 23 people in your house?!! Yikes – I’d probably start crying! Looks and sounds like everyone had a great time. I hope you enjoy this next batch of pics…more pelicans.
Kelli – How tall do the coreopsis get?
Deb – Sorry you didn’t get more rain, but your tiny coreopsis is gorgeous!

72.0 °F / 22 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 67%
Dew Point: 60 °F / 16 °C
Wind: 4.0 mph / 6 km/h from the SSE
Wind Gust: 9.2 mph / 14 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa
Heat Index: 75 °F / 24 °C
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 8000 ft / 2438 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 60s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph becoming light after.

More pelicans

Thumbnail by MySharona

I love this picture!

Thumbnail by MySharona

This guy hammed it up for the camera - striking poses

Thumbnail by MySharona

another

Thumbnail by MySharona

last one of the pelicans - don't want to bore y'all!

Check out the copycat in the background!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Downtown

Thumbnail by MySharona

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.