Rooting Jar Exchange Questions and Discussion

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Welcome all.
This thread is for questions and discussion of the Rooting Jar Exchange. Post “ALL” questions and any discussion about the Jar exchange on this thread. I hope you like the way this is organized. I set this up in a way that I thought would be easy and quick.
I welcome any comments on how you like the way it is set up and I will gladly take constructive suggestions that could help me learn and improve.

To add your name to the exchange list go here:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/693127/

This message was edited Feb 14, 2007 9:46 PM

(Zone 1)

Great HollyAnn! Thank you for organizing and getting this exchange started! It should be fun. Maybe we can all post photo's of our new rooting jar/vases when we receive them!

Come on Everyone .... Let's get this Jar Exchange in Gear!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I really liked this idea. I had so much fun with the craft exchange. It was fun seeing all the crafts. I hope everyone posts pictures of their jars, too. I all ready have my little jar all picked out. It won't take long for me to send it out. Hope you like it. Holly

(Zone 1)

I know I will Holly! Can't wait to see who's name I draw so I can send them a rooting jar!

(Zone 1)

Moretz: Looks like your name was below mine, so I will be choosing one and mailing it to you real soon ... I will send you a D-Mail when it's on it's way, so you can be on the lookout for it!

This is gonna be fun!

Lin

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Are you not sending cuttings to go in the jar ! ??

(Zone 1)

Ooh Allison ..... Great idea! I hadn't thought about that.

Hollyann? What do you think? Shall we send cuttings along too?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

No Allison,
It's just a jar exchange. But anyone that is in a warmer state could if they wanted to. I actually thought about it but I'm afraid that Lin would get a pretty frozen plant from me. Maybe if this goes well we could do a cutting exchange when it gets warmer.

Lin, I just sent my son to the post office with your jar and there is a story about the jar coming along with it.

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Allison,
That would be nice,
to send a cutting along
with the rooting Jar.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I am going to send a cutting with mine.If it doesn't make it ok with the weather there isn't any harm in trying right?
Nancy

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Lin, We cross posted and I was just thinking. I could send you a plant as soon as we get a warm spell. This is what I was looking at and wishing that I could send.
With all this talk of rooting I couldn't wait any longer and dug out one of my Ornamental Sweet Potatoes.
This is suppose to be a Tri-color it was given to me by a co-work last fall. I never did see the plant so I'm not quite sure what it will look like but it looks like it will give me plenty of starters to root.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Forgot to add the picture

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Also I was thinking. Anyone that would like to trade more than just 1 jar can just post their name again in the tread just make sure you have another name or two posted between your extra posts. That way you could send and get more than one trade from different people.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Oh Holly now thats a nice idea : )

(Zone 1)

Great Idea Holly, about posting more than once ... if you want more than one jar. Oh yes, I would love one of those ornamental sweet potatoe vines! Wow! You were quick with getting your package out! I need to find a box and decide on what jar to send. I look forward to the "story" coming with my jar!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

You don't have to hurry you have until March 7th to find or empty a cute jar and get your package sent. I just happened to have one and a box just the right size too.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Awesome idea, and great thinking how to do it too, you are a great hostess!!! This is going to be fun!!! Now for the search for that perfect little rooting jar, or maybe aaaaaaaa------------------------:)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Rose, The idea of a swap came from Sjonesartist; I have never organized anything like this and tried to think of a way to cut down on shipping cost and time. I like the added idea of sending a plant too. That really adds a lot of interest to the idea. If I had thought of that earlier I might have waited till it warmed up to start. Looks like we are getting a nice group, hope everybody that can posts pictures of their trades. Holly

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Holly- dittos on getting it going, I think it will work great, and cuttings and background stories can be a totally optional but fun addition to it.

(Zone 1)

Ok Y'all ... I guess I'm the very first to receive my jar! Mine came from Holly and it is sooo cute. I have a begonia cutting in it. I love it! Here's a photo:

Thumbnail by plantladylin
lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

OHHHHHH, that one is a cutie...very different....Deb

(Zone 1)

Thanks Deb ... I think it makes a very nice addition to all my rooting jars and vases! I am getting ready to paint a shelf I've had laying around for a long time. It's just a plain old narrow shelf that a friend gave me a few years ago and I've never done anything with it. It will be perfect for a bunch of rooting jars. Once it's finished I will post a photo!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh that is a pretty jar!!! And love the begonia!!! Are begonias easy to root in water? I will have to have some of that, tell me the name please, it is lovely in that jar!!! Keep it going ladies, have a great day!!!
Ruby

(Zone 1)

Ruby: It's a cane type begonia that I've had for years. Very easy to grow ... roots easily in water or just sticking the cuttings down in soil. Someone on DG ID'd it as Angel Wing Begonia 'Benigo' but I don't know for sure if that is the one. Let me see if I can find the link in Plant Files:

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/132902/

When the weather warms up, in another month, I will have some for trade!

edited to say: it's actually listed as a Dragon Wing Begonia! I have no clue what the difference is ... I just know it is a cane type begonia.

This message was edited Feb 18, 2007 5:58 PM

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Cute ! The person I need to send jar to had Dmail I need adress please. We do not use exchange !!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Allison, You can look up your person in the address exchange. You only have to D-mail them if their address isn't listed in the address exchange. Holly

Your person is in the address exchange. Any questions on how to use it?

This message was edited Feb 18, 2007 7:45 PM

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Sorry I did Dmail her as We do not want to use address exchange as we dont want our name and address in an open address achange. We only give it out to those we want to have it.
We have unlisted phone numbers.
When you get old , disabled live in 55 plus neighborhoods safty becomes an issue.
I hope she Dmails me back with her address :))
PS Address exchange can only be used if you put your address in there , which my Husband and I discuse we do not want to.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh, No problem. A lot of people don't use the address exchange, just for those reasons. That was why I put in the D-mail option as a way to get your address. Did everything thing work out ok? Holly

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

OHMYGOSH, I totally *forgot* that I had 'signed up' for this, so my sincere apology to Marsha for not getting that out to you.
Will do my best to get it out tomorrow....forgive me? ;)

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Sharon,Your rooting container and a few cuttings were sent off to you today.The weather is really nice so hopefully everything will arrive safely.The container(not actually a jar..hope that is ok?) is one from my grandma. Hope you like : ) usps #9150805213907534510374

I received from Gale today a very pretty rooting container.She included little gold beads and marbles to put inside.Really looks great with the philodendron cuttings and baby spider she sent with it don't you think? I love it!! Thanks Gale!
Nancy

This message was edited Feb 22, 2007 11:05 AM

Thumbnail by cedarnest
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Nancy, I really like that, interesting jar and what a cute idea the added beads are.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Thanks Holly,Yes I just love the total look of it and the beads are a really neat addition : )

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

Nancy,
I'll be on the lookout!! Love the one you received :-)
Sharon

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

sally, your jar went out today with some suprise clippings. :)
usps priority mail. you should have it by thurs. or fri.
stephanie

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

Gale, today I got your box all packed up and will mail it priority from the post office tomorrow...I do hope you enjoy what I've sent and will think of me when you use them......I just had the worst case of house plant withdrawal today & felt out of sorts..when I stopped at our local Ace Hardware they had just unpacked a load of houseplants....I got a splitleaf philodendron sorta guy, two Jade plant starts (seems funny to buy them here when in CA where I just moved from you could walk down any street and snap a start off any crassulla you may be looking for)....I also got two small pots of a plant that resembles a pony tail plant....little bulbs sitting on top of the soil...I'll get a pic of them & see if someone knows what they are.....Deb

(Zone 1)

Deb ... lucky girl ... wish our Ace Hardware carried plants. They used to years ago, but haven't in about 5 or 6 years now!

Hope to see your photo's soon! The one you say is little bulbs sitting on top of the soil is probably Pony Tail Palms!

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

Nan- not to worry; I just sent mine out today.

Ruby- be on the lookout for your jar. Your delivery confirmation number is:

0306 1070 0002 6615 1161.

Wish I could've added some clippings, but the temps have varied from below zero and teens the past two weeks, and today it's forty degrees. I'm afraid we'd plunge into another deep freeze, and the cuttings wouldn't survive.
Hope you like your jar!

Marsha.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

stephanie- How esciting- than k you in advance- can't wait!!
whose idea was this? great fun!! thanks!
Allison- I will get yours going soon promise!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The original idea, I beleive was Stephanie's. This really is a lot of fun can't wait to see more jars.

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

picture of what I bought today....Please help with identity...I know the big guy is a philodendron but not sure which and I have no idea what the little ponytail guys are....Thank you, Deb

Thumbnail by Depsi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.