Do you wish you lived in another climate?

Rienzi, MS(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 599 votes:

Yes, I wish I lived somewhere warmer
(146 votes, 24%)
Red dot

Yes, I wish I lived somewhere cooler
(17 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Yes, I wish I lived somewhere with less humidity
(37 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Yes, I wish I lived somewhere drier
(6 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Yes, I wish I lived somewhere with mountains
(30 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Yes, I wish I lived somewhere less hilly
(2 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Other - ?
(34 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Nope, I like where I live!
(327 votes, 54%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I love it here in 'Home Sweet home, ALABAMA' . Though, a two months vacation in Hawaii during the winter would be heaven! (but, who would care for my indoor plants while I am gone to the tropical Paradise?). Oh well, dreams are sweet, and it's better for me than edible sweet. :)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

I'm not happy where I live on a hill hard to plant, too much wind, humidity is so thick you can cut it with a knife! I could do without the four seasons, wouldn't miss it a bit, give me weather with no humidity, no wind and a perfect temp. of about 65-70, oh, and no winters at all!!!!!

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

After clicking the last one, I was not surprised I was one among the majority many. I am lucky to be where I am. But I always wish to live in a peaceful place like Switzerland among the green hilly areas!

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

lol Plantlady we are suppose to have another front come in next week so load up on logs and put on your long johns!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Clicked "Other"

I want to live in a place with more land! Snow and real weather!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

There's a piece of land in the paper today for sale on sealed bids. 40 acres, 38 acres tillable. They are needing $3000.00 per acre minimum. It will probably bring a little more than that. Then you can built your dream house on it. Whatever you wouldn't need for your building site can be rented to a farmer for anywhere from $100.00 to $200.00 per acre, per year.
We have different weather everyday & snow!
Bernie

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I voted warmer but I really want warmer by just a zone or two, and less wind, and more snow.... pretty much like where I grew up - southern Ontario. I hate the bitter cold northern plains wind that goes right through you, your clothes, your car, your house, etc. (not particularly fond of tornado weather either!)

growin - you need to marry a Yank, like I did. lol

Lewiston, CA(Zone 7b)

I have always lived here with a few years exceptions when I went to find myself, only discovering I was right here all the time.
I do love it here, but the winters have been a bit too cold for my liking. I don't like to get out & do stuff when it's 24 outside and everything is ice. This is 10 degrees colder than normal. The old normal anyway. If this is the new normal I may have to consider moving somewhere a bit warmer.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

I love where I live. has nothing to do with gardening tho. For gardening I'd like it to rain once a week in the summer, not too hard, just a slow soaking.

For everything else, red rock canyons and mountains and the Colorado River to play in. With the Rocky Mountains just an hour and a half away. When it does get over the top HOT in the summer, I have tree shade to hide in. AFTER I've watered everything for the umpteenth time.

I could use some of that black earth soil, ours looks a good deal like pink face powder. Still, if you give it water it will grow anything. You will hear me whine when the temps are running 115 for the fourth day in a row, but even then I know it will pass and I can always run off to Telluride for a climate change. LOL ~Blooms

edit to add - I live in a postcard. teehee

This message was edited Jan 25, 2007 3:37 PM

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I voted - Other - Because

I really love where I live. It's beautiful, scenic, peaceful, basically paradise, just a tad too hot for too long! I would love it just a teeny bit more if I could move this little island 10 miles North to get just a little bit more of a season change! Just ten miles that's all I ask!!

Cedarcone - my FIL lives in Rockport! Small world! :)

Sharon

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I said "other" because I used to love Northern California, but the last two winters have been far too cold for me, not to mention my zone 9 plants. This winter I even lost the zone 8 plants. We usually had three or four days of frost in winter, and those days never came in a row. This year we've had as many as 17 days of frost in succession. It's not what I signed up for. My house isn't built for cold, and neither am I.

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

I think I live in a great place...I have vacationed almost everywhere and I love these Blue Ridge Mountains. We have all four Seasons here and I look forward to each one. Our Winters are getting milder and milder each year it seems. We have had so many 50 and 60 degree days this Winter. In Summer if it gets a little hot we load up the camper and in 20 minutes we are at Standing Indian Campground and you don't even need air-conditioning. The only thing I don't like is the red-clay...But I have 1,000 of plants and I just dig the red-clay out and fill with good soil. Franklin is one of the fastest growing towns around. People who come here on vacation end up moving here sooner or later. We have so many Florida people who have homes here and in Florida, then when they retire they move here.

(Zone 5a)

Although I really don't want to live anywhere else I really, really, really wish we could get decent summers up here .... as in maybe 4 months instead of barely 3 and upper 60's - low 70's as opposed to mostly 50's and low 60's ..... shorts and barefeet weather once in a while ;-) Apart from that I'm happy ;-)

I wouldn't trade the bright summer nights for anything, even if it means wearing fleece in July.

This photo is taken on our travels to NW - Iceland this summer - this is just before midnight in early July :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig
Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

i love arizona, the desert southwest, the sunshine and even the heat is not too bad, but there are just too many people here (the phoenix area) for my liking. it is growing like crazy here!

Plano, TX

I grew up in Iowa and slowly moved my way south - Dallas area. I love this climate but would still love to be where my precious green babies would never freeze, heating greenhouses really *****! when the bill comes!

Hebron, KY

Dave47,

Quoting:
I wonder if the results would change if you asked again in July.

Nope! Not for me! I'll still say

"I voted other.

Because of my health (I have MS; Multiple Sclerosis), I would like to live somewhere where it's cooler, has less humidity and is drier."

It would be great for Summer esp., and for some of the Spring. The Fall weather is usually good for me. The Winter weather is cold and snowy enough!

Marilyn

Edited for spelling. ;-))

This message was edited Jan 27, 2007 8:16 AM

Glen Riddle Lima, PA

funny question, which i think about all the time. I often wish to live somewhere warmer, but then again, i would miss my peonies. having four seasons is quite nice...

hoping for warmth soon,

it's cold!!!

joy

I, TX(Zone 8a)

I really don't want to live anywhere else but it has been so cold lately. I know I am a wimp when it comes to cold wet weather.

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

Less humidity! In July and August the weeds just take over, because if you want to weed, you'd better get up around 5am every Saturday and Sunday! Midday weeding will kill you in late summer. Not being a morning person, I've had some problems with following that schedule!

Maybe if we could get more snow and less rain in the winter. Just those two things would make it perfect here. Spring is exciting, early and mid-summer are wonderful, and fall is just gorgeous. Winter is nice if we can get a little snow, or at least, not get stuck with constant rain.

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

I've lived here in Idaho for almost two years now after moving from the Sacramento area of CA and I love it...would never consider leaving....snow, heat whatever goes with this beautiful part of the United States is ok by me!!!!!! Deb

Manahawkin, NJ(Zone 7a)

In the "Garden State" and on our property you have a wide range of climatic and soil conditions. So it is like having a new place to garden as the seasons change. We lived in zone 6 for most all of our working days, and are now in zone 7, in retirement. That is just enough additional opportunities for me.

This yr my family and i are living on the road traveling with my Dh. We are in AZ right now in Fountain HIll and what a lovely place it is. Today is 68. I love this weather , but i do miss snow and change of seasons. In Ohio, autum feels like autum . Love visiting AZ in the winter ,an the dry heat is ok with me.
sue

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

I truly love where I live and as a gardener it just can't be beat! Long, LO-O-O-NG growing season, March - November at least, but mild enough to have things growing all year. Lovely Springs and Autumn is just awesome. Summers warm and dry - rarely humid. Snow just often enough to make it fun, never a pain. No real weather type dangers - tornadoes, hurricanes, heavy snows, dangerous cold and/or flooding - not here! It does rain here although not as much as everyone thinks. and besides, if it didn't it wouldn't be a jewel box of greens all year long. We get enough cold to grow things that need it, and enough heat and sun to grow pretty much whatever one would want. We have mountains, wonderful rivers, the ocean just an hour away, amazing scenic hiking all around, and Portland and Seattle have all the bigger city stuff if whenever we want. I love the Pacific Northwest and am very happy to call it home!!

Jamie

Miami Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

I wish I lived somewhere tropical, not only so I could grow the awesome and georgeous tropicals, but because I love hot weather and sun(I'm ok with humidty too)! I HATE Chicago winters! With a passion. Come to think of it, it's pretty much cool here much of the year. I love Chicago in the summertime, but it's too short. I would love to live in Honolulu or Miami(Honolulu is milder)-you get the warm weather and city living too! Well, I am going to live my dream! I'm moving to Miami in May! Welcome to Miami!

congrats on the move Brianshea

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Ann:

Quoting:
Mostly, I love the weather here as long as it is hot or hotter or hottest.

Oh how I love to hear a Texan with this view!!! Having moved here from Michigan I can say I LOVE the heat. I only run the AC down to 80° in the summer time here but have heard many natives complain it is to hot. I'll take the heat and mild winters over the hot summers/fridgid winters of Michigan any day. =)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

A bubbly -1.1º here right now, a little breeze out of the NW to keep you cool. What more would you want ? Those little summer critters are done for. We are looking for high of +5º on Sunday. I think I'll go start on my tan. It will be sunny.
Bernie

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

lol bernie!

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

I love the year round growing season in South Florida. Of course tropical storms and hurricanes are sometimes major problems during a six month period. However, you can't beat gardening as a stress buster on a warm winter day.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

I do like where I live, but I want to live in USDA zone 6a or 6b so I can grow a few (lots of) plants that won't survive in USDA zone 4a.
Mike
(it's -2 F this moring with more cold on the way. Bummer)

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Temps are still dropping, Bernie. A frigid -11ºF at 8 a.m. today. Did you hear they are predicting -20ºF for next weekend? global warming?? bring us a little please..... lol

Mike - I agree, just a zone or so warmer would be fantastic! And colder is on the way... so thankful we finally have a blanket of snow on the ground!

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I used to in Montreal, Canada. It was rated as USDA Zone 5 but many Z5 perennials did not survive the winters there. For safety's sake, I didn't plant anything that wasn't hardy to Z3. I gardened from middle of may to beginning of September. Then, I would look out the patio door and watch the garden get covered in white sh*t until the middle of next April. I put a stop to that when we moved to Southern Florida a year ago. We have never looked back since. We miss the parents and friends we left behind but never, ever, did we miss the climate.

For those of you that wish for something warmer, I say perseverance is the key to your dream. It took 2 years for us to get the project going.

Sylvain.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I moved farther south 25 years ago. I was born & raised in Brainerd, MN area. Zone 3.
Lovely up there. Wore an overcoat on the 4th of July one year to go boating. Coldest I survived in was -47º.
I was dairy farming one winter when there was 16 days in a row of -30º at night & not above zero in daytime. It got colder every day.
Bernie

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I'm not ready to go that warm, Sylvain. I'd love the plants but miss the snow. It's the raw wind I despise!

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Maine is beautiful and overall I like it here...the ocean is lovely, even if it freezes your toes off in July. I do get depressed at the virtual lack of Springtime (moved here from VA) ...the months of March, April, and much of May are really bleak.

In my fantasy world, I'd live somewhere balmy, and with palm trees...but when I visit those types of places, I notice they have gigantic insects and things like snakes....so unless I can find a warm climate place with neither snakes nor supersized bugs, I'm staying put.

(Zone 1)

Kiska: After seeing your photo of all the snow in Alaska, I guess I can't complain of us having one night of 28 degrees here in Florida! At least we don't get all that snow and ice, it's supposed to be 28F here tomorrow night, but will be back up in the 50's or 60's the next day! I can't even imagine living in the Alaska climate, but that is Beautiful Scenery ... would love to visit there, it's in our retirement travel plans .... but will be during the Summer time!

Rannveig: Beautiful, Iceland .... Love that photo also .... I don't like cold weather either! My family has been in Florida for 40 years, originally from Virginia. We don't get cold weather very often here in Central Florida, but will have a very unusually cold night tomorrow night! I spoke to my Sister in South Florida and they are expecting low 40's down there, which is VERY unusual!

I was going to post a photo of my area, but my laptop crashed earlier tonight and it looks like I lost all my photo file .... already shut down the desktop for the night. Maybe I will get a chance to post a photo tomorrow!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I understand what Dave47 was saying though!

im glad i m here in AZ , back home it is 7 with several inches of snow back in OH.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.