Do you wish you lived in another climate?

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)
There are a total of 599 votes:

Yes, I wish I lived somewhere warmer
(146 votes, 24%)
Red dot

Yes, I wish I lived somewhere cooler
(17 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Yes, I wish I lived somewhere with less humidity
(37 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Yes, I wish I lived somewhere drier
(6 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Yes, I wish I lived somewhere with mountains
(30 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Yes, I wish I lived somewhere less hilly
(2 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Other - ?
(34 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Nope, I like where I live!
(327 votes, 54%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I like it here most of the time, don't really want to move, but the cold is hard on my old bones LOL. I like having 4 seasons and am not looking to move to the deep south or so. west. Even today was ok...mid-20's and no wind. But when the winds whip or temps drop into teens or single digits, I can barely function. Guess I'll just wait it out like always and just stay put. I think I've got that long tap root that doesn't like to be transplanted :0)

Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

I'm 90 miles from the world's most beautiful beaches, but far enough inland that I don't have to worry about evacuating from hurricanes. It rarely gets so cold here that my nanners go dormant, yet even in the hottest months, it is cooler here than it was when I lived in the Midwest. The only thing I would change about where I live is to bring my family over here so we could do stuff together more often...and to have soil that is easier to dig.

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

As a recent transplant from Florida (yes, I'm a native Floridian), I really like Georgia (where the matrilineal side of my family originates). The only thing that will make me move is lots more land at a really low cost! We'd like to have more land so that we can be more rural focused, raise some goats and a couple of cows, have chickens and a larger garden. However, with me working from a home office and DH in the technology industry, it will HAVE to have DSL or satellite internet access...LOL! Unless of course, I win the lottery and can farm for the rest of my life. Whatever we do, we need to do it soon before I'm too long in the tooth to physically acclimate to wherever we move and to do the actual work entailed in actual homestead/sustainable living :D

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Somewhere warmer. I would NOT miss the snow. I could have a fall veggie garden too.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I wish I had been born an American so I could have the choice. Only 30 or so miles south and I would have had the ability to move to California or Florida. I dream of warmer climates but am glad I don't live in Winnipeg. So many people take it for grantid and I can only dream.

Marshall, MO(Zone 5b)

There just ain't no place like home. I like it just where I'm at. I was born just 2 blocks from my home in 1952 so I'm not really going to go anywhere else. I've lived in Michigan and Illinois, both had there pros and cons, but as I said "There ain't no place like home"

Citra, FL

Im extremely happy right here. There isnt a day when I cant step outside and enjoy the weather. The frosty mornings are few and far between; when there is one, by 10:00 am its 60 and sunny out. I really need to be able to get outside every day and play in the garden; its hard to do when its 20 degrees outside. Brrrrrr, Im staying put.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I have no intention of moving elsewhere...in this life. I do wish it was a little bit warmer for half the year.......November through April.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Although I enjoy the four seasons I get where I live, I would prefer it to be warmer during the winter months - I'd like a longer growing season. Zone 7 would be perfect for me. I wouldn't want it toooooo humidity when it's hot, and where I live, when it is hot, it is dry. Is there such a place on earth? The Garden of Eden perhaps?

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Someplace that's warmer in the winter, and where it rains in the summer. I'd love the chance to grow some of the beautiful plants I can't grow here, and I'd really love to have Mother Nature water for me every once in awhile. We've been in a drought for way too long already. We don't even get much snow anymore.

Champaign, IL(Zone 5b)

Less Hilly.. rofl.. Here its flatter then a pancake.. I am not joking either.. researchers at the U of I figured out that relative to size.. we ARE flatter then a pancake. I love where I live.. only when I look at plants that are just not quite hardy enough do I wish it was a bit warmer.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I chose "less humid". I used to live in New Mexico (zone 7) and moved to NC (still a zone 7) and although the summer temperatures are very similiar, the humidity here is ridiculous! I finally understood that old joke about living in the heat in the Southwest, "Yes, but it's a dry heat." Makes all the difference in the world. Other than that I love both places for the great gardening options.

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

LOL Colquhoun! What a great research topic!

Fairview, TN

I miss the ocean...Thats where my heart belongs.. I wish I lived where the dirt was perfect. Not full of rocks..

Swainsboro, GA(Zone 8b)

My heart is in the mountains. I need to be surrounded by those gentle hills. Also the older I get, the less I can tolerate the scorching hot summers we have here.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I like it here. I have mountains nearby if needed (ozarks) and open plains (Kansas). I would love to live in the mountains or in Montana but those would only make good second homes cause my family and friends are here and so am I. I pretty much like it here. Want to be further out in the country, that's all.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I like it where I am. Got used to it over the past 70 yrs. Just wish I had a little more ground. Might have to buy some. But I have to balance that desire for more planting space against the fact that I cannot work as hard as I used to. LOL

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Did they have a Anyplace but here button? LOL we've lived in SE TX for about 4 years now and if you gave me 2 hours I could be packed and ready to go. I wanna go back south to Alabama or Georgia....

Glennie, MI(Zone 5a)

Love it where we are at. I love the 4 seasons.The only thing we would change is 20 acres,instead of the 1.52 acres we have now..

Fort Dodge, IA(Zone 4b)

I've lived other places, but Iowa is home.....my vote was for somewhere warmer, but what I really wish is that it was warmer here.....at least for a longer period of time. I love the summers, but fall always gets here too soon and winter seems to stay too long. But I really wouldn't trade it, as we have some of the blackest dirt you would ever want to see here....and it makes it so easy to grow things. We just can't grow them for long! *grins*

Lexington, NC(Zone 7b)

I spent the first 45 years of my life in the Twin Cities (MN) and by choice moved to NC. Not a day goes by without me thanking the Lord for leading me here. Then, I thank myself for listening to Him. (smile)

dmac085 - I'm just down the road from you in Lexington. The humidity in MN (and for the Midwest) actually has a heavier feel to it than here in NC. I don't know how my daughter can stand the heat & humidity in Kansas City. I'd swear a person could suffocate there.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I have lived here all my long life and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I have been in S America, most of Canada, lots of Europe and all but 3 of the 50 states. I like the four seasons, however the winter this year seems longer than the other 3 seasons!!!!!!!!!

Donna

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Tis the wrong time of year to ask me such a question! Windchills below zero, ice storms and a foot or more of snow makes me long for anywhere but here!! LOL Of course, the thing they say about the weather around here is if you don't like it wait a couple of hours it will change.........

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I might try someplace else, but the people...I don't know if I could leave the people I've come to love. No matter what the weather, I can always count on them to make me feel good. Helpful in a snowstorm, and fun to hang out with on the US and Canadian beaches of Lake Erie in the heat of the summer.
I wish I didn't have to do so much overwintering of the plants I really love, but I think I would melt if exposed to much warmer. I've learned that 90 degrees is my maximum comfort zone. I am not a big fan of high humidity, I swell like a inflatable raft. At least during a freeze, I can complain about it, eat some hearty comfort food for warmth, and cover up in a big sweatshirt which is much more flattering for my body type anyway, lol. Winter is an excuse to look over gardening catalogues until my eyes are blurry. Spring and Fall are gorgeous here, and my sons like to ski.
The most amazing thing is that in the Spring, little beings start to peek up through the ground, and you ask yourself, how can that be? We were frozen only a few weeks ago...how can nature do this miracle?
Rebirth is awesome. So here I stay.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Looks to me the people in the 4 season areas are happier people with few complaints.

Bernie

Port Lavaca, TX(Zone 9a)

"Here" is where I want to live BUT I could have checked all of them except less hilly (you can't get less hilly than south Texas). On very cold days (like freezing) I wish it was warmer, on hot days (and there are a lot of them) I wish it was cooler, last year I was wishing it was raining and after a week of rain (well really misting) I wish it would quit. The one thing I really wish was different is the high humidity. Some days I'd love to see the mountains or your beautiful flowers up north in Aug. I guess this reminds me of why I like to travel--to have a change of scenery and climate occasionally.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am just never happy.... I have 4 seasons.... wish it was warmer longer but when it's humid and nasty here.. well I am not happy either.... my best times of the year are spring and fall... mild days are the best... give me 70 - 80 all year and I would be happy

oh yeah and next house will have FLAT property....I don't live on a mountain but it's tough on my ankles standing on my hills and pulling weeds

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm really happy living here but I wish I could live "here" (San Francisco peninsula) & be a little rural with more space and a Pacific Ocean view. We are having the most amazing winter so far - little rain, beautiful clear sunny days, frosty mornings (unfortunate for the less hardy plants). I love snow but only on vacations. LOL.

Hebron, KY

IowaNovice,

Quoting:
as we have some of the blackest dirt you would ever want to see here....and it makes it so easy to grow things.

LOL!!! Trying to make us all jealous and envious?! ;-))

Your "blackest dirt" sounds wonderful! ;-))

Marilyn

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Quoting:
Looks to me the people in the 4 season areas are happier people with few complaints.

I'd have to go back and tally it up but it's funny I was thinking the people in the warm states, Florida and Texas had almost 100% from there saying they wouldn't move.

I grew up with 4 seasons and don't miss the snow. I remember many a Halloween no one being able to see my costume for the winter coat and hat that covered me all up! Good times....but the older I get the more I appreciate the warm or hot days of Texas. And no I don't mind the heat, so long as we are getting our normal standard of rain for the garden...I only run the AC down to 80° in the summer and let it go to 78° at night.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

I voted other even though I love where I live! I love that we have short winters. I love that we can have the 4 seasons even if they can be enjoyed all in one week! It is pretty well true that if you don't like the weather, just wait a minute. Except in summer. But plant wise I would love to live on a tropical island! Last January we were in Jamaica and it was shirtsleeve weather and my understanding is that is is not unpleasantly hot in the summer. Plants were all blooming everywhere in the middle of January, and where we were it rained evrey day for about an hour. they even knew what time it would rain. Just like a sprinkler systm...LOL I would not like to live there for amny other reasons, But the climate is perfect!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Yes, but most of the warm state people had something they didn't like about where they live. Us up north people didn't.

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

I lived in 4 seasons (Massachusetts) almost all of my life. I never got used to winters - I hated them more and more, as I got older. Summers are short, fall is a constant reminder that winter is just around the corner, and spring is cold, grey, and lifeless.

I absolutely love central Florida. I can't get enough of the outdoors here, and I could never go back to those horrible winters. My only regret about moving here is that I don't have the financial means to see my (grown) children as often as I'd like to.

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

In NH the winters are too cold, the summers can be too humid, the spring can be too wet, fall can be too beautiful (I guess I can't find anything bad to say about fall :o) BUT, I love New England and will probably never leave. I'm close to the ocean, the mountains, and the city. What more could I want?!?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Born in Nebraska, raised in Colorado and I saw enough snow to last me a lifetime. I had the good sense to marry a southern boy, and he never wants to live north of here. I just can't talk him into moving further south (the SEC makes every state around us "enemy" territory ;o)

Hebron, KY

Terry,

SEC ??? What is that?

Marilyn

Camp Crook, SD(Zone 3b)

I wish I lived somewhere just plain milder. The summers are very hot, the winters very cold. It's dry and the wind blows a lot. The only consolation is that when you manage to keep something alive, it's REALLY satisfying.

Gold Hill, OR(Zone 7a)

Just had to chime in here ... I LOVE where I live. The Rogue Valley in Southwestern Oregon. We rarely have severe weather here. Just a short drive and I am in the mountains, drive a couple of hours west and I am on the coast, drive a couple of hours north and I can go to Crater Lake. No matter which direction I want to go there is always something to see and do. I do love SW Oregon.

Red Oak, NC(Zone 7b)

Mountains and Snow. It very seldom snows here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.