Do you wish you lived in another climate?

There are a total of 599 votes:

Yes, I wish I lived somewhere warmer
(146 votes, 24%)
Red dot

Yes, I wish I lived somewhere cooler
(17 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Yes, I wish I lived somewhere with less humidity
(37 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Yes, I wish I lived somewhere drier
(6 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Yes, I wish I lived somewhere with mountains
(30 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Yes, I wish I lived somewhere less hilly
(2 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Other - ?
(34 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Nope, I like where I live!
(327 votes, 54%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

I'd like to live farther south so I could grow some of those beautiful tropical plants. I'd love to live farther north because I think the north is So Beautiful. But, I'd really Rather Be right where I am!

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

I voted "Nope, I like where I live!" and that means central/east Texas in general. I wouldn't mind a new town/new home but I like the climate or I wouldn't bother to live here. If you hate where you live then live your dream!

This message was edited Jan 22, 2007 8:58 AM

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

Having been raised here and having traveled all over Europe including Russia, and all over the US and into Canada and Mexico, the Caribbean, Central America and South America and thoroughly enjoyed every place we have traveled. But I like it here. Sure, I gripe about the weather all the time when it is too cold, hot, rainy, sunny. But don't take me away for any extended period of time. "Here" is where I want to be.

Ann

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

The cold, rain and dampness all tend to depress me. Then when I think about the beauty of the Cascade and Olympic mountains, the forests, the waters of the Puget Sound and all the gorgeous islands, the marine climate that seldom gets too hot or cold and the variety of plants we can grow I settle down and am glad to be here, at home.

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

I'm here by choice. Seems like I need mountains around to be happy. Otherwise I would chose the Hudson River Valley with a view of the river.

North Augusta, SC(Zone 8a)

I could do with a little less humidity!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

although i complain about the weather from time to time, as we all do no matter where we live, you couldn't get me out of here with a shoehorn and a truck full of money. i love it! when i lived in the keys, i was in my own little "headtrip" all summer with hurricanes, whether we got 'em or not. they can happen where i live now, but i feel safe and i can grow a wider diversity of plants here too.

I just moved to the Texas Coastal Bend from the Hill Country (thus the ename) and love it. But gardening is a whole new ballgame and I am having fun learning. I just discovered DG and this is my first post as a new member.

St Augustine, FL(Zone 9a)

Been in Central Florida for a year (from Massachusetts). All I can say is I wish we had moved here years ago!
I love it!

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

Welcome to the real world, cedarcrone!! Happy to have you!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I like exactly where I am. Nice long summer, livable winter, country living, big city shopping close by, not far away you can do the theater thing if you like, smell of fresh air. Also no floods, hurricanes, landslides, wildfires, drought, or other "natural" disasters. We do get a tornado once in a while, but they don't cover a very large area. Rain is usually plentiful. Winter kills off bugs & disease. Flower bloom from April until November. Soil is excellent!
I'll stay right here.
Stop over some time, I will share with you.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I wish I lived somewhere warmer so that I could grow up to zone 7 plants, but not somewhere that gets as impossibly hot and humid as it gets here in Iowa. I also wish I lived somewhere with less clay in the soils (but not too much sand, either!). At the same time, I don't want to live somewhere with fire ants or scorpions or other nasty things of that nature. And while we're on it, I'd like to live somewhere that it only rains when I'm sleeping so I can always garden without getting soaking wet. :-)

Some people have suggested I might think about the northwest (except for the rain part).

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

It was below zero here the other night (20 below zero is rare but isn't unheard of...) and our high the following day was 20, so i voted "somewhere warmer" now if you ask this question again in July, it will be over 100 here and i'll vote "somewhere cooler".

The grass is always greener. LOL

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I think I've had weeks where I have wished all those. The closest one would be the less humidity, but the humidity comes with all the plants so I guess I'd rather have them.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

pffffftttt...I read and re-read the choices last night in anticipation of this poll going live this morning. Somehow I totally missed that I had "less humid" and "drier" as two different options. Oops!

Hebron, KY

I voted other.

Because of my health (I have MS; Multiple Sclerosis), I would like to live somewhere where it's cooler, has less humidity and is drier.

Marilyn

Selma, AL(Zone 8a)

I live in the South, so the weather is nice most of the time. It's been raining off and on for the last week. There is a lot of humidity here. I was told that if I didn't have sinus trouble when I moved here, I would develope it. Well, I had it before I got here and it has just gotten worse. I have developed a breathing problem, COPD, I'd say caused from having phnemonia (can't spell) too many times. My late husband was a fisherman, so we spent a lot of time at the river. I was wet and cold most of the time.
This it the Black Belt area and it's kinda like being in a hole, no good air can get in. The soil is excelent for growning stuff. So it is good for some, and not good for the other.

Lincoln, NE

No matter where I go, there I am! I'm a native of the Great Plains and quite at home here. I live in a flood zone so I have rich black soil - in fact, I've had gardening friends beg for a bucket or two of my black gold! It's hot in Summer, and cold in the Winter, but Spring and Autumn weather is divine. Our thunder storms are awesome, and creepy as it sounds, tornado watches give many of us flatlanders a secret buzz.

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

I live here by choice & like the 4 seasons we enjoy.

LarryD

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

I voted other. I would like a warmer climate - without snow. I do not like being cold, never have even as a child, and never will. I would like to have mountains - I spent a few years on Vancouver Island, BC and the mountains got into my blood. But then again, I do like the constant changes that come with having four seasons, and spring in Canada brings so much new and renewed growth all at once, and.......... LOL I guess I'm just pretty typical - when it's cold I want it hot, when it's hot I want cooling rain, when it's humid I want a dry wind, when....... well - you get the picture :-)

--Ginny

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Terry, I think you need those choices. Some places that it is humid can still be dry, as in dry soil or drought.
Bernie

Cardiff, ON(Zone 4a)

I love where I live, especially since winter has finally arrived. As much as I would love to be able to grow a magnolia tree, I wouldn't want to give up my wonderful cold and snowy winters. My biggest annoyance is the blackflies in the spring. I can live with mosquitos but can't stand the blackflies. Although, I guess I'd rather have them than some of the warmer climate critters.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

It's 15 degree right now so I was tempted to say "somewhere warmer", but I can't even if it was -12 again, I couldn't.
I have mountains and ocean that meet, deep deep woods and city's too. I have fresh clear water to swim in, glistening white snow in winter, new growth and tulips and green everywhere in spring. I have tons of flowers and late sunsets in summer, and all the glorious colors autumn brings us here in New England. Who could ask for more?

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

We love living in the San Francisco Bay Area, coastal Northern CA. A great gardening zone along with fabulous scenery, an exciting ethnic mix of people, and tourist attractions that other folks come from all over the world to see, available to us 24/7.

I'm from Chicago and my DH is from Hong Kong -- we would never go back!

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

Having left Florida about a year ago for our new place in TN, I can't say I don't miss the warmth and beauty of the subtropics. But I am delighted with all the gardening friends I've made here in the midsouth! Perhaps I should strive for snowbird status.

carol & the TN furkids

(Zone 3b)

There are so many reasons that I've read of why we like where we are; guess it comes down what makes you content and happy. I can't imagine living anywhere except here, in South Central Alaska. Love to visit other places, but this is home.
Kiska
Alaska

Thumbnail by kiska
Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I would like to be near an ocean. Warmth would be good but isn't totally necessary

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

For the most part, I like it here, except that it's getting waaaaaay to expensive to buy a house...and our summers are getting to be verrrrry humid...they never used to be.
If I could choose another state, I'd pick Tenn. or Ky.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I LOVE TEXAS!!! The only thing I would change is, the summer wouldn't be 8 - 9 months long! Other than that, this Yellow Rose is staying put!

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

I love it here in Texas, I just wish there was WAY less humidity here in my neck of the woods!

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I have to say other, I love many things about our area and yet, our soil is very hard to garden in, I wish I had less gophers and rabbits around my yard, but the grass is always greener somewhere else until you move there.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I didn't know what to put--I'd like to have it a little warmer in the winter (especially warmer than this winter has been!) and a little cooler in the summer, but overall I really can't complain!

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Balvenie, I'm with you - I might complain about the gray and the rain in the winter, but spring, summer, and fall are fabulous . . . I've lived in this general area all my life and have no desire to go anywhere else. I did move from the big city to a rural setting four years ago, and truly love it.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I just moved a year ago from zone 10b to 8b right here in Florida. I am really enjoying the cooler winter weather, although still learning to garden with it.

I definitely would not want to be any further north.

:^))))

(Zone 6a)

I like where I live, alot of tropicals can be grown indoors, but where its warmer many plants that grow here don't do very well.

IMHO,
Steven

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

We're going to see this exact same poll on July 22nd, right? :) I'd love to see how the answers compare when the majority of us are in summer mode!

Jen (who chose - without regret - for the southwest to be her home)

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

I put other. I like where I live. It supports my hobbies of breeding finches and landscaping very well. But I love the climates in California where you can grow succulents and roses with more ease. The zones may be similar, but it is far too humid to support many of the succulents as landscaping or the northern type of roses due to the black spot/fungus problems. I DO NOT, however, want eathquakes. At least with hurricaines you have a better clue as to when they are coming.

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

I voted Nope! How could I not? We do upstate NY, the old homestead in summer and Southwest Florida in winter.
The weather and scenery in the southern tier of NY, in the summer, are delightful. The people there are the World's best . Southwest Florida has great winter weather, the scenery is nice in some places but alas, the people are so divided. Some are nice but many are boorish rednecks and many are equally boorish transplants from the Northern Metropolitan areas...and then there are the summer hurricanes.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

We're happy here and enjoy the four seasons too much to ever consider leaving.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.