Decembers daily weather, Ho, Ho, Ho is near!

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Deb - I'm with you - Marylyn makes it sound so easy!! Great pic of the chickadees and sparrow! Lots of action!
Kelli - YAYon the rain!!! Woo Hooo! Did you get some pics of Fillmore? Jazz won't be talking to me either! We'll be between 71 & 69 for the next week!!
Rann - I was very surprised to see the butterfly. Ran outside in the middle of lunch to get the pics! I agree, she (he?) is very pretty! That's a beautiful picture of Hildur Eva and Selma Run - they are so pretty and the candle light just adds to the whole picture. I love their pink heart jammies! :)
Jazz - Come on!! We can't be blamed for the temps, we just live here!!!!
We've had lots of action at the bird and squirrel feeders the last couple of days, I guess since it's been really cold here.
We're now 15" short on rain this year. Close to fire hazard time.
:( my camera stopped working at lunch no matter what I do, it's not coming back on. I have some really cool pics of a cloud angel in the memory card.....:-(
Anyway, it was just gorgeous out today. Not cold, just cool, the air has a little {{edge}} to it tonight, but nothing like the 30's.
More clouds this morning on the way to work..

Thumbnail by MySharona
Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I don't blame anyone for their temperatures.. I just can't stand to see it posted that someplace is so nice and toasty when I am sitting here with my nose so cold.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Jazz: Come on down! :)

Jazz - it's cold to us!!!!

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

don't tempt me.. I am ready! lol

Edited to add a humph to Sharon... :)

This message was edited Dec 10, 2006 7:38 PM

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. Southwest wind between 6 and 8 mph.

Monday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 49. South wind between 5 and 9 mph.

Monday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 36. South wind between 8 and 11 mph.

Tuesday: Showers likely, mainly after 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 51. South wind between 11 and 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Tuesday Night: Showers likely, mainly before 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 40. Southwest wind between 10 and 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

OK, If I had my way I would send this 70% chance of precip to Kelli! argh,,it warms up but gets rainly so we can't enjoy it..sigh

OK, Deb.I found a nice little plantation on John's Island and a cute beach house in Edisto Beach.. Now I just need 5 mill and I am there!

edited to say that the DH had a nice laugh when I told him

This message was edited Dec 10, 2006 9:01 PM

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

It was a beautiful weekend here in N.W. Pa. Lots of sun and blue skies. We are expecting highs in the 40's for the next week but not much sunshine. Most of the snow from last weeks big lake effect storm has melted away. Great photos everyone!

Here's a photo of the geese at Pymatuning State Park.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
(Zone 3b)

8pm - 20 degrees more like normal; more fresh snow...very good to be done with the above freezing temps and the havoc/ice it creates. Sunrise today was 10:03 - Set at 3:34pm but never got bright throughout the day.
I've really enjoyed reading the activities and weather and it's been a good way to relax after a busy weekend. The photo of your girls, Rann, is lovely - so much sentiment and personality shows..
The moose, no matter how many, are moose...they don't startle too easily, but are dangerous because of their unpredicability...they hang around when we go out on the deck or step out; just glance our way and continue eating.
Deer are not in this area of Alaska but the black bear are...
Sharon - thanks so much for the photo of the astronauts and web site..also really enjoy your clouds and butterfly against the green parsley is very pretty. Hope you've got the camera working...my freezes after a few minutes out...
And Marylyn - your skirt turned out really cute..good project.
A few years ago: Volcanic ash on the snow w/Sheila
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Kiska, beautiful dog in beautiful woods.

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

It's 30F, almost clear skies and fairly calm :-) Sunrise will be at 11:09 and sunset at 3:32.

Thanks for your kind words about the girls - they make good subjects :-) I was actually pretty amazed that I got a few photos that weren't fuzzy since I took the photos with a tripod and they weren't still very long! Hildur Eva especially had a hard time being still ....... at that age they just need to be in constant movement!!

Sharon - love the beach scene - must be a nice drive to work if the scenery is like that :-)

EB - beautiful photo - love how the gees reflect in the water/ice?

Kiska - Sheila was a beautiful dog. Interesting to see the ash covering the snow.

Have a nice day all!

rannveig

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning All! It's 29*& Dark.

Sharon the morning sky is beautiful & has a peaceful look to it & that butterfly! :-D
Deb, Now that's what I call a mid-air collision! You were certainly there at the right time!
Rannveig, those 2 little beauties would make the "Hallmark" card! Maybe you could go into the business to make extra dough. They do pose pretty...it seems so ...reverent.
E_B that is a great shot of the geese.
Kiska, Sheila looks kind of perplexed or she's wondering why you're not following her. That's an odd effect...the ash on the snow.
Jazz, do ya think you would regret the move come summer? You would be more use the cooler climes.:-D

Marylyn, Thanx for the big compliment! I am plenty old enough to have an daughter that's 25. I was more than that when I had her....and that's all the info you're sqeezin' out of me! :-D
The party was a "hoot" & we did do heaps of laughing. But one thing that she said..."Just think! Now my car ins. will go down, some". That made me a little sad...when they loose the child-like thoughts & think of "grown-up" thoughts. Where has the time gone!?

Well, I've got 2 finals today...must prepare some more....
Have a Great Day All!

Joey

I wonder where she learned this!

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 5a)

Thanks Joey! Congrats on your daugter's b-day! and good luck on your exams today!! When does x-mas break start?? :-D Got to go run some errands - the big day keeps coming closer and I'm making very little progress.

rannveig

Joey - Someone has been taking lessons from Garrett!! LOL!
Didn't set the alarm properly so I'm running a little late here, seems to be a pattern lately, humph....
E_B - beautiful picture! Looks like a painting.
Kiska - Sheila was a beauty and obviously very happy. Do you get volcanic ash very often?
Well, DH said they were "out" of my camera and he will have to drive to Jacksonville to get a replacement. I'm laughing on the inside - I'm not going, I hate that drive!! He gets to go by himself today!! LOL!!
Meanwhile I'll attach pics that I don't think you've seen before.
Clouds on the way home for lunch yesterday.
Have a great day!
edited - Joey - Good Luck!!

This message was edited Dec 11, 2006 7:03 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Thanx Rannveig & Sharon & as you can tell...I haven't gotten very far! I did some studying last night & suppose That will have to do. :-) Both exams are in Aquaculture today. My last exam is in Biol. Wednesday & then I'll be finished until mid-January! Yippee!
Sharon, good luck to DH! Is he gonna get you a new one or just get the other on fixed?

This is more like the Emily I know! :-D She does enjoy herself! Her giggles are infectious! (& I cut her head off! :-D)

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Music ~ pretty girl, love it when they are silly....have one thats the same way she'll be 25 in July. (and if it makes you feel better,she's next to the youngest.)
Rann ~ I don't know if it's the candlelight or just the beautiful subjects, but that is definately a kodak commercial in the making!
EB ~ Thats a lovely photo of the geese @ Pymatuning State Park. Would make a great postcard!
Kiska ~ I remember reading about the ash, but Sheila is beautiful!!!!!

We are having a heat wave...... it was 47 for a high yesterday, and warm here for the rest of the week!
Staying in the 30's - 40's for our high
Current conditions as of 8:15 am EST

Cloudy
Feels Like: 34°
Barometer: 30.26 in and steady
Humidity: 100%
Visibility: 1 mi
Dewpoint: 34°
Wind: SW 3 mph
Sunrise: 7:05 am
Sunset: 3:59 pm
34°High: 39° Low: 23°

Have a great day everyone!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

36°
Wind: Calm
Humidity: 73%

Average: High 44° Low 28°
Record: High 70° (1931) Low -13° (1917)

Today's Sunrise: 7:47AM Today's Sunset: 5:16PM
(09:29 hours of sunlight)

We're looking at 56° and partly cloudy today then rain tomorrow.

Deb that ice must have been a shock! That Chickadee shot is Perfect!
kiska I had to look twice at the ice shot... I thought you'd captured a wolf!
Beautiful seascape Sharona! The clouds really add interest. A it's great to see a Butterfly!
early_bloomer those geese look as if their frozen into the ice. Nicely photographed.
rannveig That shot is a perfect Christmas Card!
Good luck on the Finals Joey!
Jazz swing on down to Cincinnati. It's always 75 degrees and humid in the Krohn!

Off to get more Coffee!
~~~~'s to ALL I forgot! Sorry!
Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Forgot to add a morning picture. LOL
Here's a Tanacetum parthenium Aureum (Golden Feverfew) that's decided Spring has Sprung.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Jazz isn't gonna be talking to me this week, I'm afraid. There's a warm front moving through. Right now it is 64° and misting, and it is going to be in the 70's later today. I'll take it! LOL

Joey, good luck on your finals!! :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 8:33am CST (11 min ago)
Temperature 64 °F 18 °C
Dew Point 62 °F 17 °C
Humidity 94%
Pressure 30.18 in 1022 mb
Wind Speed 8 MPH 7 kts
Wind Dir SE 130°
Ceiling 300 ft 91 m
Visibility 1.75 mi 2.8 km
Current Conditions Mist
Remarks 0.02" of precipitation last hour.
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 63.0°F / 17.2°C

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Today: Partly cloudy, with a high near 54. South wind between 6 and 8 mph.

Tonight: A slight chance of showers after 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 38. South wind between 5 and 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Tuesday: Occasional showers, mainly after 4pm. High near 53. South wind between 8 and 14 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Tuesday Night: Occasional showers, mainly before 11pm. Low around 39. South wind between 10 and 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Note that the chance of precipitation percentage has jumped up 20%. I am thinking that means it's gonna rain.. :)

Aw Marylyn.. I'd take that weather too. I would suffer through adapting to warmer temps..lol. especially if there's the ocean to hop into..

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Come on down, Jazz! The Gulf of Mexico is about an hour away if the traffic is feeling relatively cooperative. :-)

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Jazz; Let me know when you get that beach house at Edisto. You'll have lots of company in the summer~! :)
Looks like you're in the "over 50" club again today!
Nice here today:

Mostly sunny. Highs 65 to 69. North winds around 5 mph.
Tonight
Partly cloudy. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows in the upper 30s. Light and variable winds.

Deb

(Zone 3b)

7:30 am: 10 degrees, calm..sunrise at 10:05, sets at 3:34pm..
Up at the top of Alaska, in Barrow, there will be no sunrise nor sunset. They get twilight from 11:39am to 2:58pm..the sun will rise again there next year.
So much going on this time of year, then throw in finals, and I don't see how it all gets done...good luck on finals; cute b'day daughter, too, joey.
Rann - I find having to run errands in the dark makes it hard to get motivated...
Glad you all enjoyed the photo of Sheila..she was a Malamute.
We have had volcanic ash a couple of times; once in August..the ash takes forever to disperse..really a mess. There have been more eruptions, but the wind doesn't always bring the ash this way.
ric - the brown leaves, are they oak? looks good against the green...
sharon - love the clouds - always something new there.
Photo: February, 1979, at Portage Glacier/Lake
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

DH upgraded to a Canon A540 PowerShot....all this new technology! I finally figured out where I downloaded the pics from yesterday! I'll be back gotta go back to work for now!
Here's my sky angel!

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 3b)

very nice, sharon - it's always such a relief to find the right folders!
We're using a new Sony DSLR and they download in different folders in the laptop; so I need to get the computers all on one download, someday....
It's nearly 9:30am, getting daylight out, so I'm off to Palmer for some shopping...got my ice cleats on the shoes and out the door...
kiska

(Zone 5a)

Kiska - I hate running errands in the dark too :-) Try to squeeze them in between 11 and 2 pm ;-) Cool photo :-)

Thanks for the compliments all - I might have found the Christmas card photo !?!:-D I still haven't had time to go through them all ...... too much to do, too little time and a very uncooperative back ;-)

Ric - you have so many interesting plants growing at this time of year! Love that golden foliage :-)

Sharon - nice shot! That Food Lion sign brings back memories - there was one in Gainesville very close to our neighborhood ;-)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

kiska,
The curly leaves are mostly Oak, we have a 100' tall tree across the street.
The flat ones mostly Maple.
Maple unfortuneately stacks up and becomes an almost waterproof ground seal.
Mixed w/ Oak though it stays light and springy.
We blow leaves into the yard (unlike most people) to a depth of about a foot.
This works as insulation and come Spring a good mulch/compot.
OK WHERE'S the Lake? LOL

Rannveig, We grow many plants that are hardy to colder climates.
Here they usually just keep growing all winter.

Gotta love those Clouds Sharona!

Ric

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Right behind that wall of ice Ric LOL

(Zone 3b)

Ric - a 100' oak would be most impressive! no oaks here..
You didn't see the lake? That's because, the foolish cheechakos we were back then, were on it! Been here awhile now, but still make stupid mistakes :) (and behind the ice, too);;;
The icebergs of course were frozen in place in the lake and were going nowhere till June and they could move on out of the lake to the river. Portage Glacier is 100 miles from Palmer.
Here's Portage lake, thawed.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

We got a quarter inch of rain overnight. Flowers in the spring. One can hope.
Only dropped to 35* altho the skiff of frosted snow in my yard and the ice on the pavement early said different. LOL statistics and reality.
Currently 44
Feels like 39

Great shot of the geese EB ... I will leave the house... I will leave the house. LOL
Great kid Joey.
saw a 707 Sharon, guess it's how ya squint yer eyes.
whoops my sense of humor is raggedy.
oh yeah, awesome scenery you have Kiska.
~~~Blooms

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Fooled me too. well I'm sure it was well thick enough to walk on. so the uprights are little icebergs froze in place till spring. I'm assuming one doesn't jump in for a dip?

(Zone 3b)

The ice is several feet thick; as are the lakes we ice fish on...but we were really foolish not realizing the potential danger. Now, there are signs everywhere to keep people like we were, off the ice.
Still at 10 degrees, but the sun did make an appearance and seeing the bright/clean snow; is beautiful.
blooms - watch out for those icy walkways :)
Drilling holes for fishing - 4' thick ice - April 1, 2006
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Kiska - Ice Cleats!!! Now there is something you won't find in Florida!! Great snow pics, always so pretty! Your pictures are so breathtaking.
Ric - your plants are very confused!! I love the color combinations, very nice.
Rann - hope you're feeling better. The Food Lion is about 2 1/2 blocks from the house, I prefer grocery shopping at Publix though. I won't shop in the dark unless I'm with a couple of other people or DH is with me. Other than that, I always feel like I have only so much time to get stuff done before the sun comes up!
Blooms! I can't believe you don't see my angel!! Looks like a T, although I don't see a 707!! I'm squinting LOLOL!!!
Beach tonight, fog rolling in. Driving is allowed only to the sign, not worth driving on the beach anyway. Driving past the sign is prohibited due to sea turtle protection. Walking past the sign is allowed!!

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Thanks Sharon - I'm getting there very slowly - my doc prescribed some anti-innflamatory and muscle relaxant meds and they're making life a bit easier! I like Publix better too - one of the things I really miss is Publix!!!! I've been to Florida on holidays twice since we moved back and both times we went to Publix :-) Couldn't buy everything I wanted since we were staying in Motels without cooking utilities :-( Love the photo of the beach :-)

Kiska - great photos! Love the icebergs on the lake :-) I've never been on 4' thick ice !

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Evening! It was a regular heat wave today! We got up to 60*! Bluefield only got up to 53*, which was really hot enough! I had the windows down & almost forgot to roll them up when I went thru the drive thru car wash! My car was a mess (salt!). At the moment it's cooled down to 36*, which is much more tolerable.

Ric & Marylyn, thanx for the well wishes. I think that I got the worst 2 over with today. I have one tomorrow & one Wed. & I'll be finished for this semester! :-D
Pixie & Blooms, thanx for the compliments on Miss Em. She can be such a joy, but I think that is the way mom's are supposed to think. (hint: she can also be a pain in the you know what ~ but gotta love her!) :-D
Sharon, I see it! :-D Great cloud pic! & Beach Pic! Pretty!
Kiska, 4' of ice? and I thought that 5" was alot! Those are some impressive pix, tho. Ice fishing would be neat to try! It's what I'd call Cool! (in more ways than 1!) :-D

Well, got to do a "little" studying....Have a Great Evening!

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Didn't I tell you that if it rained here it would warm up back east?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I've done Ice Fishing but like Drift or Bank Fishing I find it a bit boring.
I'd rather wade the streams and Fly-fish
I do though Love those Alaska pics kiska.
Like anything over 100 miles north of me that's a bit TOO much Winter but still it is Breath Taking!

Joey that's a nice peaceful shot!

Sharona nothing is better than a walk in the Dunes at sunset. Thanks!

Ric

(Zone 3b)

ric - I go for the fire and food :)...it's a good way to spend a couple hours and it's easy for the grandkids to catch dinner..no worry about them falling in the lake...
Temp holding at 10 degrees and calm...good chance of northern lights with it being clear and cold.
Our young nephew from New Mexico sent up "Flat Stanley" for a class project..he's here w/DH this evening. He goes back to NMexico tomorrow. Fun for the class to see where Stanley has traveled for the past few weeks...
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 5a)

Good morning! It's clear, fairly calm, 29°F and very dark here at 9:30 this morning :-) Sunrise will be at 11:11 and sunset at 3:31 today.

Now back to the miscievous and unruly son's of the troll Grıla (that liked naughty kids for dinner) ..... there are 13 of them and each one of them had their own favorite "crime" so to speak. They come one at a time, the first one 13 days before Christmas and the last one on Christmas Eve and leave one at a time as well, the first one on Christmas day and the last one on the 13th day of Christmas. When Grıla was still a threat to naughty kids these "yulelads" didn't bring much joy to people but since then they have been reformed by the jolly white bearded Santa Clause and are now his representatives x 13 here in Iceland :-) Kids put their shoe out in their window and if they're good they can expect a small gift in the morning, if not they get a potatoe. The first one arrive last night and then they'll come one each night until Christmas.

Today's yulelad is called Stekkjastaur - he used to hang out in the outhouses where the sheep were kept and startle them and whoever came to tend to them ...... his name means that he had stiff legs.

The photo is taken of a Christmas card with a drawing by Selma Jónsdóttir

Thumbnail by rannveig

Good Morning! It's 50 now and our high today is 71 - Sorry Jazz!
Got my 1st cup of java in hand and ready for the day!
Joey - Good Luck on part 2 of the exams - we're pulling for you! Love the lake pics!
Kelli - much much total rain did you get? Are you expecting more?
Kiska - What's a flat Stanley? Kind of reminds me of Mr. Bill!!oooooooooooohhnoooooooooooooo!! Great pic- the look on his face and all that snow on the trees...beautiful!
Rann - what a story! Can't wait to hear the rest - kind of like Grimm's Fairy Tales - grim, but fun! Great drawing...
Here's a pic of the dunes and sea oats. We have boardwalks set up for everyone to use. It's against the law to pick the sea oats or walk over the dunes. The seaoats help stop the erosion process and protect the dunes and natural habitat.

Thumbnail by MySharona

you get to the boardwalks through the gazebo's next to parking lots and beach access areas - there's my car~~

Thumbnail by MySharona

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.