Decembers daily weather, Ho, Ho, Ho is near!

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

And here's another beach pic for Ric and everyone else in the cold...

This message was edited Dec 12, 2006 7:05 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! All! It's 29*! (Rann we did it again!) But we're supposed to warm up to 60* again.

Sharon, thanx for the wishes. I will need to get back to the "grind" when I get finished here. And thanx for those gorgeous warm looking scenes....I'd like to put my toes in the water on that last one.
Rann, thanx for the Christmas story....this is so cool...love hearing about different cultures. :-)
Kiska, tell us more about "Flat Stanley"....
Thanx Ric, it's a peaceful place.
And Kelli, I'm glad that you got some rain! but! I prefer the "chilly" temps this time of year....I guess the only reason for that is that I want it to snow! for Christmas!....We haven't had any for a while. (Sorry ~ Darius & Dyson) We usually don't get our good snows until Jan. & Feb. And sometimes we get the "doozies" in March. But yea, I'm whinnin'....I want it for Christmas! so I can play while I have the time off! :-)))

Well, gotta go study...Have a Great Day! All!

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

I just realized - that's the same picture!!!!! LOL

Thumbnail by MySharona
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Only gonna be in the 30s here today compared to 59* yesterday. BRRR!!

(Zone 5a)

Joey and Sharon - glad you like the story - there are 12 more to go! The girls were so excited last night, especially Hildur Eva ...... Selma Rún's always been a bit uncomfortable about these "half-trolls" outside her window at night so the drapes have to be pulled down and she didn't want to put her shoe in the window in her room ...... I told her we could ask them not to come - but she wanted the presents ;-)

Joey - I'm with you! I want snow for Christmas - it's been far too long since we had a proper white Christmas. No chance of us hitting 60F, it's now 2:15 and the temp is now 26 ...... hmm it's colder than this morning ......as you can see the sun has no warming effect what so ever! It's just here to get in our eyes and make the sky pretty :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Good morning!

I've been absent lately....got a huge re-model going on in my house and things are upside down. We're pulling the carpet that I put in the house 14 years ago when we built, and putting down hardwood...plus several other projects that became necessary as things progressed.

The carpet had to go...when I bought it years ago, the color was called 'Seagull'....when we pulled it out, I renamed it 'Road Kill Possum'. I thought I kept a pretty decent house...I'm no neat freak, but at least I thought I was clean....this stuff was gross. The hardwood will be much easier to keep.

Temps today will be about 60* and rain...yesterday was 66* and partially cloudy...Tomorrow should be in the upper 60's and sunny again....a great day to have my back door replaced..(one of the projects that we didn't know we needed till pulling the carpet...*sigh*..)

I haven't decorated for Christmas...stuff is piled on top of stuff....so no decorations to show....here's a black and white shot of a nearby barn....in Dec and Jan, I shoot a lot of B&W because here in west KY, things are pretty much all the same color. I Photoshopped in a touch of red on the barn just for a bit of visual impact...but otherwise it's pretty much how today looks.

Thumbnail by melody
(Zone 5a)

Melody - that is a pretty photo - really like the gray tones and the red adds a nice touch to it :-)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

45° Dewpoint: 37° Wind: W 3 MPH
Humidity: 74% Pressure: 30.29 in Hg
Average: High 44° Low 27°
Today's Sunrise: 7:48AM
Today's Sunset: 5:16PM
(09:28 hours of sunlight)

We're looking at the mid/upper 50's and rain for the next two days.
Then Sunny! and upper 50's thru Sunday.

Rannveig that's a great tradition. Keep the tales coming!
(BTW I think you meant 'out building'. An 'out house' is an outdoor toilet. :-)

Sharona I've spent a lot of time on the East Coast beaches down there and in NC.
I love the comeback the Oats are making.
We in fact grow the Northern Variety here in the yard.
Lovely in the Winter and it makes a soothing sound blowing in the wind.

Hey Melody!
Don't you just love those little pop up projects.............. errrrrrrr!
Nice subtle touch w/ the red in the barn shot. Really gives it the right feel.

Here's a shot of our 'Oats' taken a few minutes ago.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 5a)

LOL - Ric - you're right I meant out building .......Thanks! Is there a specific term for those buildings that house sheep or cows?? I looked it up and found sheepcote - is that a word ????? Anyway that's where "Stekkjastaur" liked to hang around :-)

Nice photo of the oats - they'd make a nice decoration :-)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sheepcot or sheepcote is correct.
Dovecot is really the only time I've ever heard anyone use 'cot' though.
Over here they just call them Sheep Barns I'm pretty sure.

The Oats are very pretty but self seed like mad.
They will have to be cut down before Spring and we'll still be pulling them up everywhere.
The nice thing is they're shallow rooted and kind of clump. So they're easy to thin.

Ric

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Ok, I couldn't stay away! Needed a break anyway. It's warmed up to 35* & the sun's out. The rain will be here tonight and will last thru tomorrow.

Pepper, stay Warm! I think that we're supposed to get some of that.
Rann, that is a lovely pic...very winter-ish. :-))
Melody, That barn is gorgeous. What a special effect...you Do have a gift...
Ric, that's Great pic of the oats. I don't remember seeing any around here...nice looking textures.

Back to the grind! Exam at 5:00

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 3b)

My gosh, Rann, it's late afternoon for you and I'm just getting started here..(love the card and story).
23 degrees - maybe more snow. Sunrise 10:06am. Sets 3:33pm..loss of 1m48 seconds so it's really slowing down as solstice approaches.
As to "Flat Stanley"..he's a handmade little guy that, in this case, was started on his trips by a school child in New Mexico, as a class project. The student mails him to someone; the recipient then takes a photo, writes about their area, then sends Stanley to someone else. After a few weeks, the last person receiving Stanley, sends him back to his "home" location. We were the last to get Stanley and now, he's going to NMexico and will have a number of photos and information that the student will share with the class..
The photos of ocean/oats is such a nice sight to see, very nice sharon.
This was January @ minus 20 F...our backyard.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

We got a little bit short of 0.6 inch of rain all together. At this point, they're calling for a 30% chance of rain this weekend.

Updated: 11:51 AM PST on December 12, 2006
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
66 °F / 19 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 28%
Dew Point: 32 °F / 0 °C
Wind: 5 mph / 7 km/h / 2.1 m/s from the West

Thumbnail by Kelli
(Zone 3b)

Kelli - That's one colorful but scary little creature there :) - will it cause damage to the plant? Hope you get some more rain....
kiska

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

It's a monarch caterpillar. I grow the milkweed for them. They cause a lot of "damage", but the plants grow back. Caterpillars or not, the plants are really sad-looking by February anyways. It's a tropical milkweed that isn't real happy with our winter nighttime temperatures even though it stays above freezing.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kiska: Where else has Flat Stanley visited?
Melody: As a hobby, I do some hand coloring of photographs. It can take hours to do one. Your barn pic reminds me of some of my little bits of art. I'll try and take a photo of one of my photos (?) and post it for you.
Kelli: Cool Cat' !
Ric: Oats = amazing.
:)

Deb

(Zone 5a)

Kiska - I just love that photo! What an amazing view to have in your backyard! It's like something out of a fairytale !

Joey - hope your exam went well! :-)

(Zone 5a)

Kelli - that is one big caterpillar!!!

I want snow too!! Just a little bit though, just enough to keep the office closed for one day!! That would only take about a 1/4"!!
Melody - great pic of the barn (love the hint of red). Hope your remodel goes well. We just went through one at work, it was a pain!
Ric - I wish our oats would multiply faster. Send me some when you cut yours down!
Kiska - What a great school project - Flat Stanley! I can't imagine walking outside to all that snow. Keep those snow pics coming!
Kelli - congrats on the rain and I hope you get more soon. We're supposed to get some rain in the next 2 days, 20-30% chances. I have got to get some milkweed! Your cat is gorgeous :)
Joey - let us know that stats on your test!
Got some pretty pics at the beach again today. On the way to work, check out those clouds!

Thumbnail by MySharona

on the way home, I was in the turn lane and couldn't get a good wnough pic of the sunset on the road, you can see all the gold - grrrrrrrrr

Thumbnail by MySharona

I tried to get a good pic, but I don't think I caught the brilliance of the sunset - trust me - it was amazing!

Thumbnail by MySharona

the big fluffy clouds just lit up in all this gold and some pinks..grrrrr
the best I could get...... ;(

Thumbnail by MySharona
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

It got to 45.5* today and our morning low was 37.4*. I need to start carrying my camera with me so I can take pics. But every time I do there is nothing interesting to take pics of. But when I don't have it, there are tons of great views. lol

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Lovely sunset Sharona!
Sorry Chasmanthium latifolium are the wrong Sea Oats for your area.
It shallow rooted, spreads by seed and the salt would eat it up.
Yours is Uniola paniculata.
It's rhizomes hold the dunes together.

Joey, or anyone else actually, I can send you some seeds if you'd like.
Just sprinkle them on the ground. They do the rest.

HEY we ought to do a Flat Dave!

Ric

(Zone 3b)

5pm, dark and cold...
The sky/sunset there in Florida is beautiful, sharon...
The places I remember where Flat Stanley went were to Oregon and Alabama and here...Flat Dave - he'd sure get around the world :)
The wind is on the way and you can see it as it's blowing the snow from the top peaks of Pioneer Peak.
A momma moose and little guy came by earlier so there'll be a photo soon.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

The high temp was near 60º today with some unexpected sunshine and temps in the high 40's are forecast for the next week or more. Last weeks big snow is long gone and chances of a white Christmas are starting to look slim. It's fine with me though............I hate those big heating bills and this warm weather will put a big dent in them. When the price of natural gas soared last winter a lot of people turned down their thermostats to cut their heating costs. The gas company that supplies this part of the state actually went to the Public Utility Commission and sought permission to add a surcharge to customers bills because the company did not sell enough gas. In other words they wanted to penalize people for using less. that caused quite an uproar and that plan was shot down.

Here's a frosty winter photo of Conneaut Creek which runs along the western edge of town. In spring it's a nice trout stream. I was surprised to find a column in the Pittsburgh Press last Sunday on winter steelhead fishing there. You can find it here: http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06344/744988-358.stm

early_bloomer

This message was edited Dec 12, 2006 9:54 PM

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well kiska 10 more days and the days'll start getting longer.
Hang on!!!!!

We had a wild squirrel.........but sorry no pictures..................

Ric

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Sharona........those palm trees and beaches look mighty inviting.

Kiska..........the snow blowing off that peak--not so inviting--but still beautiful. That Jan. -20º looks like a Christmas card. The lighting is gorgeous.

Kelli..........Nice monarch cat. I go out every Sept. and collect monarch cats for the kids at the local school. I drive until I find a field with a bunch of milkweed growing in it. I found nearly 20 this year. The kids never get tired of them.

Joey...........Nice photos , like always. I hope the exam went well.

early_bloomer

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

It's 31, partly cloudy and fairly calm. According to the weather forcast we might get some snow today! I'm keeping my fingers crossed :-)

Today's Yulelad is named Giljagaur. He lurked around the cowshed/barn and stole some milk when he got the chance. He brought the girls a window decoration and a candy stick.

EB - that photo is so gorgeous!

Sharon - nice sunset photos!

Kiska - those winds look icy cold ..... brrrrrrr

Hope you all have a nice day.

Thumbnail by rannveig

Flat Dave would become quite the jet-setter!
Kiksa – All that snow blowing around looks very cold.
E-B – our electric rates are going up next month 30% for residential and 50% for commercial. Basically our bill will be $50-$78 more a month. Nice article about Conneaut Creek – bet it gets a little more crowded next year!
Rann- Giljagaur may steral milk, but he does leave nice gifts in exchange!
We’ve already had a little bit of rain. We’re a 56 now in this holding pattern for the next week.
...Today areas of fog in the morning. Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers in the morning...Then partly cloudy with a slight chance of showers in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 70s. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of showers 30 percent.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! I finally made it back! it's 40* & dark!

Thanx you guys for the support & well wishes on the test. :-) It was a tough one! Took me 2 hours to take it! I have Never had one to last that long before! & it wasn't just "slow poke" me either! I have my last one today, (at 8:00).
E_B, thanx for the link to the paper. That artical was quite interesting! I wish I could do my spring practicum (on spawning) up there! That would be so neat! (& I could sneak me a pole to get in a little angling :-D) ~ BTW I absolutely Love that pic! of the creek. Marvelous!
Kelli, Love the Monarc Cat. That would be a good one for the Bug Files.
Kiska, I LOVE that pic of Pioneer Peek! That's an NG moment.
Rann, thanx for the stories (keep 'em coming). & am glad those little cuties got some gifts ;)

Ric, I'll get back with ya on the seeds....I really need to get ready for that last (Biol.) test!

Have a Great Day Everybody! :-D

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 5a)

Joey good luck! Last one and then X-mas break!!!!!! :-D

Sharon - nice photo of the "Mary's Toes" clouds!!! Could get some rain!!

rannveig

Good Luck Joey! You're going to ace it!!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Ric, save me some of those Northern Sea Oats seeds please?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

45° Dewpoint: 37° Wind: Calm
Humidity: 74% Pressure: 30.18 in Hg
Average: High 43° Low 27°
Record: High 67° (1927) Low -3° (1962)

Today's Sunrise: 7:49AM Today's Sunset: 5:17PM
(09:28 hours of sunlight)

OK Our weather just got weird!
Todays rain is off. It seems the front moved faster than anticipated.
Now we're looking at 57° today. No Rain until Monday w/ low 60's thru that period.
Peaking Sunday at 64°!
Gotta love Winter in the Cincinnati Area!!!!

rannveig Thanks again for the continuing Christmas Saga.
I love the illustrations!

Darius and Joey you got it!
I can ship them now or wait till Spring.
They are just hanging out in the yard being cold hours treated..... and weigh next to nothing.
Need any Mimosa seed?

Sharona wild cloud scene!
Joey love that sun peeking thru the trees....little late but I hope the Bio Exam is going well!

Here's Geranium x oxonianum 'Claridge Druce' yesterday.
A gift from tabasco
Here it is in June. By July thru August it will be covered in blooms.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/173840178/

Ric

This message was edited Dec 13, 2006 9:30 AM

Thumbnail by henryr10
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Ric. I'm in the addy exchange and anytime is fine. I had some at my old house and love the way they sway in the breeze.

(Zone 5a)

It's snowing!!!!!! Yippeee!!!!! The big fluffy "dog paw" snowflakes - what we call "hundslappadrífa"!!!!!! The best kind there is :-)Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!!!!!! :-D

Ric that Geranium is pretty :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

That's GREAT rannveig!
I LOVE that term 'Dog Paw' Snowflakes!
Beautiful hundslappadrífa IT IS!

Ric

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

hundslappadrífa? can you say that phonetically for me please?? I have heard that there are several words for snow in Icelandic.. :) I wish we had some hundslappadrífa! lol

(Zone 3b)

7am, 10 degrees, calm, dark for a few more hours; Sunset at 3:33pm.
Rann - so glad you've got the much wished for snow...love the stories of the Yulelad and the gifts the girls wake up to.
The winter light on the creek/snow is so pretty, E_B...gotta love winter light.
A 2 hour test - not a fun time for you - but, now it's behind you, joey.
Sharon the clouds are great - have the same kind of lacy look that the geranium of rics has. nice..
The moose enjoyed the snack bar here in the front yard yesterday..momma and baby bull.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.