Decembers daily weather, Ho, Ho, Ho is near!

(Zone 3b)

Baby moose wondering about me?
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

So many beautiful pictures and I've missed everyones stories.

I've been baking cookies, keeping the house clean and doing photo albums.

Last week, out of the blue, I decided to put all my baby pictures in the empty albums I bought. I started at 5:00 am and finished at 4:00 pm. I went from 1957 to 1975. I had my sister's albums to mix in with mine. She died 31 years ago today at age 16. Car wreck. I kind of think she was behind my decision to do them. It gave me a week to think about her still being alive all those years ago. It was a very sad x-mas that year.

On a happier note, Zoe, rabbit-kicking a towel.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

That's certainly impressive kiska!
Just how big is that 'Baby'?
I've seen full grown in Yellowstone. Look like Horses! lol

Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!
Did she kill the towel?

Ric

(Zone 3b)

so sorry for your loss, billyporter; now that the albums are put together, it'll be nice to have that finished, thanks to the nudge from your sister.
8:23am, pitch dark, still 10 degrees.
Here's baby, yearling, with mom, to give you a better perspective..she's huge..
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Well, you all ~ I'm finally back! And for a whole month you will have to endure putting up with me! :-D (in the back of my mind I feel like there is Still something else that I should be doing!) I've been in a busy mode for at least 2 months & am seriously wondering if it is possible to slow down a tad. Maybe it's just all of this coffee talking! ;)

Thanx Everybody! 1 more year (2 semsters) & I'll actually have a degree! :-D There's only a couple of obsticles ~ Micro-Biol Lab & Tech Math. Anybody out there teach this "stuff"? Math is soooo not my strong suit. I get a mental block just thinking about doing conversions! :-) ~ I can go on-line tomorrow & find out what my grades are.

Yeah! Rannveig! ~ "It's begining to look a lot like Christmas, Every where you go!" What a Great shot of those 'dog paw' Flakes! Now that's the kind of pic that I want to get in the dark! "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow....:-D

Ric, I would really like to have some of the oats. Thanx....and any time you want to send them is fine with me, just let me know what you need. I love gerainiums...one of my fav's. :-D

E_B, Are there any schools (not universities, but colleges) that teach Aquaculture around the Conneaut Creek? There is a slight chance that I could do a practicum in spawning....my prof. is very flexable.

Sally, I agree with Kiska ~ she gave you a 'nudge' so you could remember the great times....memories are precious things to have.

Kiska! I love those "meese"! :-D They certainly do pose well! And I thought that the baby was huge 'til I saw them together!

Sharon I love the cloud pic & have never heard of the expression "Mary's Toe's"...pretty cool!

Well, gotta drag out somemore Christmas decorations! "Have a holly, jolly Christmas ~ it's the best time of the year!" (Burl Ives) :-D

Joey

Kiska ~ I thought of you...

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 3b)

welcome to some time away from classes...love the christmas card - the cabin is beautiful...
The moose were frightened by the school bus on the nearby road and were leaving my yard..
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Ric, the towel lives, but the baby shrew he had last night didn't. (Girl name. Boy cat.)

Thanks Kiska. The moose are beautiful. Especially the baby. They remind me of Mr. Moose on Capt'n. Kangaroo. Loved him and Bunny Rabbit!!!!!

Crossing fingers for Joey's grades. Math, I'm terrible!!!

Rannveig, my favorite snow too! I call it ''snow globe'' snow! I caught a glimpse of your picture and had to read it. If I was a kid, I'd have shivers hearing about each naughty lad. I love those stories!

I forgot the weather. 44* and sunny. We get a week of warmth and maybe rain or snow next week.

This message was edited Dec 13, 2006 12:21 PM

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

There used to be a Flat Dave and a Flat Trish that would wander the world between DG members. I think it all finally died down a couple of years ago - just about the time I started coming in here.

Joey, it's too bad you don't live a little farther northwest. My mom tutors math at Washington State Community College in Marietta, Ohio - just across the river from Parkersburg. (I know that isn't in the state of Washington.. It is in Washington County, though! LOL)

Great moose pictures, kiska!

I'm enjoying the Christmas Yulelad stories, too, Rannveig. :-)

It's quite nice here again today. I'd like to be out in the garden, but I'm sick again, so we're going to stay inside and watch movies instead. Bleah...

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 11:53am CST (44 min ago)
Temperature 71 °F 22 °C
Dew Point 39 °F 4 °C
Humidity 31%
Pressure 30.22 in 1023.2 mb
Wind Speed 3 MPH 3 kts
Wind Dir ESE 120°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 74 °F 23 °C
Current Conditions Clear

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Rann – Yay on the “dog paw” snow flakes!! Is it still snowing? And beautiful “hundslappadrífa” (??) – what Ric said!!
Ric – Mimosa seed…for the trees? If so, I’d love some! I’ve wanted another Mimosa for years. Love the geranium…very pretty pink flower.
Kiksa – I just love the moose pics! They have that “Cheshire cat” look on their faces! They do make a handsome pair.
Sarah – that’s a wonderful thing you did with the pictures. She’s smiling at you, you know! :)
Zoe - I can see the headlines “Towel Found Dead At Scene” – Zoe Being Charged!!
Joey – I’m good at math, but clueless to what you need!
We’ve been cloudy foggy and drizzly all day – Mary’s toe clouds work!!
Fog at the beach about 45 minutes ago.

Thumbnail by MySharona
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Are moose as big as a horse?

60% chance of rain this weekend - might even snow down to 2000 ft. Ooooooo!!!

Updated: 1:51 PM PST on December 13, 2006
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
76 °F / 24 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 31%
Dew Point: 43 °F / 6 °C
Wind: 4 mph / 6 km/h / 1.5 m/s Variable

Windshield picture showing what is left of the fall color - crepe myrtles and a sweetgum tree in this picture. Not too exciting but you can see what my neck of the woods looks like.

Thumbnail by Kelli
(Zone 3b)

wow kelli - maybe rain; and snow way down - sounds like it's shaping up for a good weekend...love the look of fall there...
Moose are quite large; larger than horses..they can move quickly, are unpredictable and will charge.
Sunny and 12 degrees. Sun's going down soon.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Helluu!! Good evening all! It's benn a really warm day again today...it is 51* at the moment.

Kelli, that is a nice 'neck' of 'woods'. And you have mountains close by.:-)) Will you see snow on those mountains if it snows to 2000' ?
Sharon, that is some hefty fog! ~ The math I will need to take is math for engineers ~ "tech math". I hope to take it in the summer, so I will have just the one class & will be able to concentrate on it, solely. I may need to holler at ya!;-)
Rann, DH was reading in the "Times" about the Christmas Yulelad. And a picture of the fireworks over Reykjavik on New Years! Really Neat! He asked me if you had told us about the Yulelad stories! I'm really enjoying them.
Oh! Marylyn! Shucks! Marietta is about 2 1/2 hours away... shoot. And I have a feeling I'll need one, too.

Well, gonna watch the rest of the news...

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 5a)

Thanks all - glad you're enjoying the "yule lads" :-) Hildur Eva is still learning their names and the order they come in - so she keeps asking "who's coming tonight??" A bit of work for the "helpers" since there are so many small presents to find - but it is fun :-)

Kiska love the moose photos - showed them to my girls and they really enjoyed them!

Joey - congrats on making it through the finals!!! It's always such a relief to be done with those! Now you can concentrate on Christmasy things :-D

The "hundslappadrífa" lasted about 10 min ..... but it was enough for a nice white blanket over everything and it's sticking for now! We'll have frost for at least the next 3 days :-) Jazz hundslappadrífa sounds something like "hundslappadreeva" ......the "a" like in "apple" ...... I'm not good with the phoenetics sorry.

Sally - so sorry for your loss those many years ago - it's good to keep the memories alive - there are few things as precious as photos to remind us of loved ones that are no longer with us :-)

Joey, yes, if it snows down to 2000ft, there will definitely be snow on those mountains. The highest is a little over 4000ft.

I'm sure I must have taken a class like your engineering math when I was in college. In real life engineering, though, I never used anything more complex than simple algebra.

Here's another windshield picture. Not much in the way of fall color, but I have always liked that pine tree. I think it is an Italian stone pine. The house is typical of this area. The yard is more plain than most (no flowers).

Thumbnail by Kelli

And one more - a picture taken while driving. (Don't try this at home - or away from home for that matter.)

Thumbnail by Kelli
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Thank you Rannveig. I too would like to hear about the rest of the Yule Lads. I'll put on my jammies and get a blanket.

Kelli, that tree is magnificent!!!

Joey, tech math, boy, you guys are smart.

Kelli! And the green light proves it. That is so funny! Good picture tho!

This message was edited Dec 13, 2006 6:18 PM

That picture also looked like it was taken by a drunken sailor until I rotated and cropped it.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

If you get stuck, let me know and I'll give you Mom's e-mail address. She used to help me with my calculus over the computer, too. :-) My dad teaches engineering physics at Washington State. I doubt they have Aquaculture, though.. it's a pretty small community college. :-)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Kelli my BIL in Tujunga has a Pine like that in front of his house.
HUGE branches.
He's at 1500' we've seen snow from there up on the San Gabriel's once.
I've still got some Sugar Pine Cones around here somewhere.

Sharona DMail me your address and I'll send you some seeds.
They are indeed Mimosa Tree seeds
Here's the tree in our Backyard.
There are usually 3 or 4 Hummers and a half dozen Butterflies there at any one time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/tags/mimosa/

Joey and Darius I have your addy's from the Exchange.

9 PM and still 45 Degrees going for 62 and Sunny tomorrow!
Ric

This message was edited Dec 13, 2006 8:58 PM

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Ric, I think you and I have the same weatherman. lol. The temps are about the same here as they are there and have been all week. It's kinda funny coming on here and seeing my weather up there. lol

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

What I thought odd was seeing your weather Colder than ours last week!
Lovin' this Southern breeze!
Y'all keep it comin' !

Ric

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Low 50's and partly sunny again today with more of the same expected tomorrow. The night sky is clear and filled with stars.

Joey.......there are a lot of colleges in this area. The University of Pittsburgh has a big research lab a few miles from here on Pymatuning Lake but I'm not sure what the smaller colleges might have to offer. I'll check them out and let you know.

This winter photo was taken on a rural road near my home.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Great picture!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

37.9°(F) 87%, Just got internet back (been down since Sunday). oh yea - dark.

(Zone 5a)

Sharon - LOL - Mary's toes (Maríutásur) are a sure sign of rain coming your way or passing by if you're lucky (or unlucky if you need the rain - we never see it that way since we get plenty of it!! lol)

Joey - Wow the Times?? So our Yule lads are getting famous?!? LOL Yes New Year's Eve here is something to behold - fireworks EVERYWHERE!! I'll try to get pics on the big night ;-)

EB - that photo is gorgeous!! Your photos always take my breath away :-)

Kelli - love the California photos! I'd find it hard to get in the Christmas spirit with all that daylight and green everywhere - but it's pretty :-)

Well, the third one came last night - Stúfur is his name ("Shortie") and as the name implies he's the shortest of the lot. Unlike the first two who mostly hung around the animal barns, Stúfur was most likely to be found lurking around the kitchen in the hopes of grabbing a frying pan when no one was looking. He liked to scrape off the bits that got stuck to the pan ;-) Now he's reformed like the others and he brought the girls something I can't remember the name of ....... something you put in your hair to keep it away from your face ..... help me out here .... Selma got a silver one and Hildur Eva a pink one and they were so pleased! Hildur Eva said "Stúfur (pron. Stoovur) was sooooo nice to us!!!!!" more than once :-D It'll get a bit tricky to keep track of who brought them what when we'll be half way down the line! So I'll have to make notes ;-)

Now for the weather - it's just beautiful! 28F, calm and a clear sky :-) I had to drive to Reykjavik yesterday after we had our much awaited snowfall and it surprised me that it hadn't snowed nearly as much there as here ...... I was beginning to worry that the snow had all melted straight away but when we got back home it was still here :-) So it seems that this "hundslappadrífa" was very isolated :-) How's that for luck ????

That's poor Stúfur with his foot stuck in a hole in the middle of a lava field on his way down from the mountains where they live - same artist as the other two ;-)

Hope you all have a nice day!!

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

Here's another photo of Stúfur by a different artist (Erla Sigurðardóttir) where he's running off with a frying pan :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig

Kelli – the houses in your area are very similar to the houses here, except for the high dollar designs and neighborhoods that have been popping up. Keep those pics coming. I take window shots all the time!
Ric – I have always loved the mimosa tree. We had a huge one in the front yard in Bellaire. Love that sweet scent!! I have a powder puff, but there is no scent and it’s much smaller than a mimosa.
E-B – Great picture!!
Rann – LOL – my nickname growing up was Shortie! Not that I’m all that short (5’8”), but I am the youngest and still the shortest (except for Mom, 5’3)! Are you talking about scrunchies (decorative fabric ponytail holders), or a barrett (clip)?
An owner told me yesterday that his property taxes have tripled this year. A lot of people are selling or trying to. Home Owners Insurance is hard to get as well due to flooding, hurricanes, etc. Not because they happened here, but we live in Florida.
Powder puff flower.
Oh, it's 56 now:
DENSE FOG ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM EST THIS MORNING
Includes the Counties: Nassau, Duval
Includes the cities: Fernandina Beach, Jacksonville
Today...Areas of dense fog in the morning. Partly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers. Visibility one quarter mile or less at Times in the morning. Highs in the lower 70s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.
Rain!!!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning Everybody! It's 35* & (like Dyson) ~ Dark! :-D
I guess that the 'energizer poochie' is on a schedule now, so I will be getting up @ 5:30 every morning. He does seem to be a creature of habit & since I had been getting up at that time he will make sure that I keep it up! :-))

E_B, WVU offers Aquaculture & I already have 10 hours of one practicum time (for next semester) from them. I may get somemore if the guy from WVU goes back to Boone county to check on the babies that we delivered there. What I was thinking....was that maybe I could go up there during the spawning season (via a school program up there) & complete it. I figure with 10 hours under my belt , already, I could complete it in one week end. (& driving time is added in). Bluefield State is a small school (barely more than a community college) & this is a new offering for them, but there is enough interest to warrent the program. BTW ~ That is on Gorgeous pic! I love snow almost as much as I love water! (I suppose they are more or less the same :-D)
Ric, Thanks for the link! You have some 'automatic' hummer feeders! Do you still feed them? or do you let Mother Nature do it?
Rann, That was very interesting about the frying pan; does he ever get caught?;) The pix of the fireworks were Great (in the Times), but it would be much better if You could get them. :-D
Marylyn, I may need that e-mail, but maybe you should warn her first! It has been over 35 years since I had any math, I haven't ever had to use it & have forgotten everything! Then again, that's the way with everything that I have taken. :-))
Kelli, that pine is Very different! Quite impressive!
Sally, I am Not that smart! But at least my mind still works ~ after all this time! :-D

Well, gonna fix breakfast.....Hungry! Have a Great day & I'll be back!

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Salina, KS(Zone 6a)

Hello all. Beautiful pictures.
Reading about Flat Stanley brought back the time, we had a DGDs picture in the passenger windshield on the semi. Flat Monica went all across the US with us. Made her a very thick notebook for school. Last I knew she still had that notebook That was a fun project.

Weather here is in the 60s for today & tomorrow. Set a record one day last week. Sure have enjoyed the warm weather, but we are extremely dry & really need moisture.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Happy Birthday, Kiska!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

39° Dewpoint: 37° Wind: Calm
Humidity: 93% Pressure: 30.03 in Hg

Today's Sunrise: 7:50AM Today's Sunset: 5:17PM
(09:27 hours of sunlight)

Going for 61° today and Sunny!
I think the furnace came on twice yesterday.

Here's Mahonia aquifolium (Oregon Grape)
This one was actually 10' from this spot when I planted it originally.
It self-seeded here 3 years and the Parent plant died......
It's usual color is Holly green, as you can see in the lower leaves,
but the frost burnt leaves get this marvelous hue.

We do feed the Hummers but back off WAY before anyone else does.
They seem to like the Mimosa better and rarely hit the Feeders after it's in full bloom.
It's actually in layers or tiers.
The higher the tier, the later the bloom, so it's top layer is in bloom right before the frosts hit.
Marginally hardy here it gets killed back to the ground by sub zero temps. Then regrows from the roots.
As we haven't had temps like that in years it's now probably 30' or taller.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Whoa I missed that!
Thanks darius!
AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY kiska!!!

Ric

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Happy Birthday, Kiska!!!

We had a Flat Micah earlier this year; my nephew's class sent them out. It was fun! :-) Well, it was fun once it finally stopped raining. Joy and I took him to the little Texas Heritage Park that is in the parking lot of a mall nearby and we took pictures of Flat Micah cavorting with our State animals.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here he is riding an armadillo. LOL

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

My little bunny, Katie, "reading" a story to him. We made a book out of all of the pictures we took and sent it to him with a real book about Texas. (The real Micah lives in Ohio.)

It's going to be warm again today! Yayyy! It's supposed to get up to 76° this afternoon.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 8:01am CST (43 min ago)
Temperature 46 °F 8 °C
Dew Point 45 °F 7 °C
Humidity 96%
Pressure 30.13 in 1020.2 mb
Wind Speed Calm Calm
Wind Dir - -
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 8 mi 12.9 km
Current Conditions Mostly Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 45.0°F / 7.2°C

This message was edited Dec 14, 2006 8:46 AM

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Happy, happy Birthday Kiska! Make it a special day!

(Zone 3b)

8am; 9 degrees, dark till 10:09 and sets at 3:32...
Thanks so much for warm birthday greetings and wishes - it's a wonderful way to start my day...thanks . And, I will make it a special day with family....thanks..
Marylyn_TX: Flat Micah had a great time there with you and your family - it's certainly a fun project for kids and adults alike.
E-B - the night sky sounded very pretty - the sunset is fantastic...
Rann - love the newest installment of the story...my granddaughters call anything they use in their hair, "hair prettys"...
I used this photo elsewhere, but the thought applies here, too.
Waving Alaska flag greetings and thanks to you all.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Happy Birthday Kiska, I hope you have a great year and many happy, healthy more years.
I really enjoy your great pictures and hearing daily about your Alaskan life.

Well this lap top was cyber-flu'd yesterday.
After 3 months up there in Pa, NJ, and Ohio I am REALLY enjoying this great 75º weather. We had fog until 11AM or so.
Sidney

Kiska – Happy Birthday!! I hope you have a wonderful day!
Joey – how’s it going on your first day off in …how long?! LOL Enjoy!
Ric – your Oregon Grape is beautiful – I love the purple’ish tint. Does it produce berries?
Marylyn - Looks like Flat Micah and Bunny Katie had a good time!
Sidney – we’re still foggy…here’s Peter’s Point on my way to lunch
My thermometer is reading 59º

Thumbnail by MySharona

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.