Some interesting species bulbs

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I can post a pic of the bulb, but it was the second pic which is always much smaller when lifted.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

wallaby, boy is that yellow one you posted a cute one ;0)

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

According to McRae (regarding L. ciliatum): "...it can be distinguished by its larger bulb [2 to 4 in. in diameter], greater ciliation of the leaf margins, and paler flower color". He also describes the flower color as being somewhat variable and of a flattened globe shape. Sounds like they both may need to be grown out and compared.

Other than that I don't know squat about these!

The bulb in their pic is broad, with reddish scales and it looks to have a smaller white bulb growing out the middle.

The pic of my L pyrenaicum at the top is long and narrow, but still a large bulb.

L ciliatum has hairs on the leaves, no mention of them on pyrenaicum, but the flowers do look a bright yellow.

I will have to wait and see! Yes it is cute!

I copied the page to the new ebay listing so you can get a better look at the bulb. They have listed it for 10 days, same as last one, a bit late for that!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LILIUM-BEAUTIFULLY-SCENTED-YELLOW-TURKS-CAP-LILY_W0QQitemZ170099001921QQcategoryZ122902QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

L monadelphum is heavily scented and an early bloomer. Don't think so though, foiliage is not quite correct.

Perhaps pyrenaicum. Peter Smithers said once that it had 'an ugly nasty scent'. So I don't know. Can't find his email. It was too long ago. Probably lost when my last computer crashed.

inanda

I looked at L monadelphum too, they seem to vary so much it's difficult to tell. They didn't say it had a pleasant scent! On that note I could do with a mature monadelphum, I have some growing from seed.

L pyrenaicum does have an unpleasant scent according to The Genus Lilium

http://www.the-genus-lilium.com/subsection3b.htm

Notice how wide the bulb looks, then look at the pic above I posted of L pyrenaicum. The bulb was posted on Thursday, with Easter I suppose it will arrive Tuesday, 5 days in the post!

It might be a cross, perhaps I should ask, but if they knew I think they would have said. I think I'll prod them when it arrives, see what they say.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

All the monadelphum pics I have seen show the flowers close to the central stem with flower pedicles at wide angles to the stem. Not what that pic shows.

Good observation Lefty!

One thing I noted on the-genus-lilium comparison tables was that L pyrenaicum bulbs go pinkish when exposed, their pic shows outer scales pinkish. BUT it does look very wide, pointing to L ciliatum, but it's flowers look flatter than those.

Given some variation in flower colour it could be L. ciliatum, but it's not supposed to be fragrant, unless the seller was fibbing! The L ciliatum shown on rareplants did look very much like it, and pics I see of L pyrenaicum tend to have some green.

The description on genus-lilium for L ciliatum flower:

"1-10, ~5 cm, flattened turk´s cap shape, cream to sulfur yello, dark spotted, dark blotch in centre, pollen orange"
Bulb: "10(+) cm, scales lanc-ovate, 40x 25 mm, white" Those are large scales, with bulb over 4" diameter.
Leaves: "lin.-lanc., densely scatt., horiz., rough on surfaces, margins silvery hairy"

L pyrenaicum flowers:

"1-12, ~3,5 cm, green.-yell., spotted + lined in black, unpleasent scent, pollen orange"
Bulb: "-7 cm, becoming light pink when exposed to air" That's less than 3" diam.
Leaves: "smooth, lin.-lanc., densely scattered, horiz"

There are different forms of L pyrenaicum.

The mystery will unfold!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

"light pink when exposed"

Did an experiment with asiatics a few years ago. Using Ct. King, I exposed 6, (left them out on potting table for 2 weeks) 6 were stored in baggies in fridge. Ones in the air turned red, ones in fridge did not. The following year and ever since, impossible to tell the difference in height, floriferousness etc. {is that a word}
inanda

Part (or all?) of that difference may have been because of the temperature difference of table versus frig. Color change would, of course, occur faster in warmer temps given all other factors being the same. But here you have drying and light differences too. But scientific or not, any "experiment" is certainly worth sharing. Thanks, Inanda.

Just look at this! Approx. 4.25" diameter, 3.25" to top of bulb, it looks to be rhizomatous as it's been cut off at the back, more shoots making and it's raring to go!

I emailed the seller and she said they inherited it when they bought the farm! She said she would do some net searching and let me know when she found it, well..........

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Fox River Valley Are, WI(Zone 5a)

Very cool. Are there any more for sale? :*) O I just saw the link. No shipping to the USA though :*(

I would say Lilium pyrenaicum.

This message was edited Apr 10, 2007 10:48 AM

It weighs about 340 grams, nearly 12 ounces.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Oh what a lovely look to that!

Cool indeed, I was overwhelmed!

The cut off area is more angled to the side than bottom, a bulb grown off a creeping rhizome.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

I've just taken some more pics of it stood up to show the cut, it's nearly vertical at the side of it.

The large scales are nearly 60mm long, the angle doesn't show it properly.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Definitely cut off!

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

A prime, healthy specimen there! Looks like even a third point of growth there too.

There's two small growths in the same place, one is more purple. I've put it in a large pot for now, I went around with my spade and couldn't decide where it would go! Best wait until I see where everything's growing.

Now where do we go from here, this has thrown any of the above possibilities out the window!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

hmm........ followed by yummmm........ followed by WOW and again.

Time for you to join the genus lilium (Yahoo group) or are you already a member.
inanda

It is a BIG HMMMMMMMM!!!

I don't know of the Yahoo lilium group, what does it involve?

I went through some lilies on the deflorum site, no luck!

Yum? . . . the bulb or the sprouts? LOL

Good thing there is an ocean between you two! [Giggle]
(But I guess you could borrow Pard's spaceship.)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lilium/

The sprouts do look like asparagus tips! Good enough to eat!

Thanks intercessor, I googled and have signed up already, there doesn't look to be a lot of activity but there might be some very knowledgeable people. But don't we have some of those on here?

It doesn't look very user friendly, I haven't found any pics on threads but there are galleries, I'll have to look around more.

Off topic....
It is not user friendly. It is setup more like a newsgroup. Apparently some years back Yahoo decided to strip all of the pics from posts, including the archives :*(
The only way to post a pic is to attach it to an e-mail and send the message to the list, with the subject as the thread topic. Pics can not be posted from the web interface from what I have found so far. Pictures can only be viewed if you are subscribed to receive each message as an individual e-mail. What a pain! Although you can put a pic in the group album via the web interface, though about 1/2 of the users only use the e-mail method to read messages.
Since it is moderated posts can sometimes take awhile to show up, I believe new thread topics are looked at by the moderator before being posted to everyone.
There seems to be quite a few breeders that use the list though. Pics of lilies can generate a nice response also. Your mileage may vary.

This message was edited Apr 10, 2007 5:50 PM

A lot of hassle for sure, I did post a description but without a pic that's nearly useless. I set up an album for bulb pics, but the pics didn't load, tried twice and got 'this page can't be displayed' both times. The album is next to yours, they go alphabetically.

I certainly don't want emails for every message, and to wait for your post to go on can send anyone to sleep. They do check every message before it's posted! It seems there are other things at play to let people use the site, like download the Yahoo toolbar, other advertising which I deselected, a sprat to catch a mackerel. I guess that's why DG is a better place if you subscribe.

That does look so much like Lilium pyrenaicum.
http://www.floralimages.co.uk/pliliupyren.htm
This link says it is clump forming, hmmm. When I separated some asiatics they had a similar shape because they were growing off the side.
http://www.backyardgardener.com/plantname/pd_5383.html

Andrew

I saw that pic of L pyrenaicum and got excited too, but put them side by side and the leaves on pyrenaicum are more upright at about 45 deg. or more, these are mostly near horizontal. L pyrenaicum also has a smaller bulb.

I don't think the shape is the deciding factor, although it is important, and some may become distorted through crowding. This has a woody rhizomatous cut edge, not stoloniferous as some lilies throw out stolons with new bulbs.

I have been looking at the-genus-lilium site, this might be a hybrid between species as explained at the bottom

http://www.the-genus-lilium.com/kesselringianum.htm

Subsection 3c does include some large bulbs, but I haven't seen any that are mentioned as rhizomatous.

Looks like the weather will be fine and dandy tomorrow and I will be able to plant my species bulbs! Hope I don't kill them :*)

Andrew

Look at this!

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Cool fasciation! What lily is it?

Andrew

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Now that is cool!

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Can't wait to see what it does!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I guess we'll have to have another 'Fasciated' thread this year. Think I counted 10 that will be fasciated in my garden. Very interesting (and fun) to watch their development.

10, Wow. How many lilies do you have?

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

This is awful, but I bought some bulbs this year that the grower said seemed to fasciate more than others. Now I can't remember what they were! I know it's abnormal, but I'd dearly love to see that happen up close and personal.

Fasciation? Maybe, if they are coming from the same stem.
Me thinks it might be indicative of the species(?)

Which is . . . . . . ?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I'd have to double check but most of the ones that appear fasciated this year are Asiatic. Last year it was Oriental Rosario.

Geez intercessor, did you have to ask that when I'm sitting here wating for another box of lilies?? Had to check my journal ~ the count is at 109 varieties.
Until I get that box....

I do love the freaky and the weird ~

Thumbnail by Moby
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Back to pumilum. I plant seed every year so I always have a patch. I just scatter it in a seed bed. I usually start a flat in the basement as well, so if I'm talking to a group, I take some and just give anybody who wants, a spoonful of babies.

inanda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.