Who wants a Spring Roundup in GA ?

Alpharetta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Sterling can I get one of those Justica? They are beautiful!

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Wenny - I've got a few of the Justicia cuttings under lights and I am keeping my fingers crossed. So IF they make it, I'll put your name on one. It really is a spectacular flower!
Sterling

Alpharetta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Sterling, Thanks for trying!

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Hey Azalea,

I'm moving North, to Woodstock. Can you change that by my name? And will the roundup be a one day or two day thing? If it's on Sunday, I can come, any other day I can't :(

Thanks,
~Sunny

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

farmerpickle - just wanted to tell you the justicia is putting on lovely new growth so you'll have a nice one in April.
Sterling

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Here I am!!! Thanks for the lovely emails and phone call to see where I am!!! :) Put me down for sure and I can pick up Glynis if she wants to come :)

It will be nice to finally settle my trade with Sharon that I was supposed to give her forever ago... How embarrasing.. Please nobody ever enter into a trade with me that you can't collect on the spot !!

:)

Susan

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

Please let me know what kind of door prizes are wanted. I own a janitorial supply company and could bring some things like household cleaners, sprays, etc. Let me know if that's usable. If not I could get some other things. Elaine

Susan, thanks a BUNCH!! I'd love a ride, and hubby could either drive me to a meeting place, or drive me one way to your place...I'm sure we could work out something.

I can also bring door prizes: unusual plants, some sort of garden decor like a homemade mosaic stepping stone or mosaic flower pot... something special. I will make sure the garden decor item I bring is tasteful, lol (hey, if you've ever seen my place...you might question!!).

Please also let me know if you need any garden notes especially anything on growing herbs in the South. I have a 10 page booklet I use for my garden talks which I'd be happy to bring for you either on a CD or printed out. I will of course, also have plants!!

GGG

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm happy to do it and your on my way south.. I will pick you up at home. :)

Susan

Ah, Susan. Then you get to the plants first :)

GGG

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alpharetta, GA(Zone 7b)

Any one want The Fairy rose or Mutabilis rose? I heard they are easy to root, and I'm attempting to root some if anyone want them.

Mutabilis http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com/rose-garden/mutabilis-rose-house.html

Here is the Fairy Rose picture

Thumbnail by farmerpickle
Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Mine is blooming right now. I'd love to learn how to start rooting them for next year. It's a really sweet rose.

Susan

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I would love to start a fairy rose. I have two places I would like to put them. They look beautiful!

Cordele, GA

I probably missed something, but do we have a physical location for the RU yet?

Beth

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

No we don't, I am sorry, but I will get on that right away. I have 3 places in mind, but I want to go and check them out before I make a final decision. Here are the three, if anyone has a better suggestion, let me know. One is the Wetlands, just off Freeman Rd between Jonesboro and McDonough, I think that would be a freebe and is owned by the Clayton Co water Authority- they have a community building in case of rain. Then there is "The Beach", just off Walt Steven's road, this is a recreational are owned by the County - I have made several calls, but no one returned my messages. Then there is Reynolds Nature Preserve in Morrow, this is a wooded area cared for by the Master Gardeners, very little parking. I would like to gsat one with shelter and no big rental fee.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Farmmerpickle, I would lov to have four of those rootings, if thats OK. Mike

Tyrone, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi everyone,
I have been following this thread with interest. Have a question: what if I don't have anything to trade (new gardener). Is it ok to bring some purchased plants? I could bring door prizes, food...
Azalea, we live close. If there is anything I can help you with, please let me know.

Liz : )

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Liz.. The first round up I attended, I brought nothing but a door prize, dounuts and some seeds I had from the zinnias I had grown that year.. I pushed dounuts on people and zinnia seeds too.. Walked around and forced my "stuff" on them. Even if they said they didn't want any dounuts or zinnia seeds!! :) I just felt kinda like it was all I had to offer and I surely wanted to make sure I did, I guess.

I left with lots of great plants.. I was absolutely tickled that so many wonderful people had given me plants for not much in return. Driving home was amazing with all those plants in my minivan. The gardeners that have already been gardening for a while already have the plants that a new gardener would love to have, and the gardener that has been gardening for a while may need to thin out the plants and it's a great thing to share. Also, some gardeners that have "everything" are only looking for particular things and have already arranged that beforehand.. the rest is for the taking. Seriously, at the end, when everyone is done trading, homeless plants are put in a group for the taking and the traders that brought them don't want to take them back home. The next RU, I had plants to offer and I got turned down when I offered, and I wondered why....But now I understand... They have been there and done that and moved on or they are just much more particular in the type of things they grow and know that about themselves. There will come a day when you do the same thing for a new person that just starts out. Please don't buy seeds or plants. Please come and just bring your smile. Food is always good and a door prize is welcome too!!

Susan

This message was edited Dec 3, 2006 6:24 PM

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Liz, it doesn't matter if you have anything to trade or not. Some people do things like buy hostas with 2 or more eyes and separate them. Others who are in your position of just starting out can't bring anything. There are always people just begging others to take their extras. We've even had an "orphan" table where you can just go and pick up what is left over. The main focus is friendship and having a good time. Believe me, you will go home with many plants. Then, when your plants multiply, you will be one of us begging others to take your extras.

I'll be glad to meet you, Liz.

Carmen

Tyrone, GA(Zone 7b)

Great! thanks ladies. I am really looking forward to the spring roundup. Liz

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Welcome Liz - I have tons of extras. It is best if you go to the exchange list and start a want list: list your conditions - shade, sun, etc., maybe list what you would love to have - iris, peonies, ferns, shrubs, etc and then we can tell you what we have as extras and ask if you want them...

You may not have trades this year, but you will have in later years!

Here is the trade list http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/663844/

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Come on over Liz,, I am sure I have something I would trade for a doughnut.. Elaine

Tyrone, GA(Zone 7b)

thanks sterhill and elaine. The exchange list is awesome! I'm not familiar with many of the plants listed but will enjoy seeing them first-hand and getting to know you all. Hopefully I will have something interesting to bring, edible or not. :)

Roberta, GA(Zone 8a)

Count us in! We're from Crawford County ! Would love to meet some fellow gardeners, do a little "chin-wagging" and some "horse trading"!

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Welcome thar - oldgaredneck- I see you have just joined DG. I can't use any horses, but maybe some others can, well maybe a nice load of manure would be welcome.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Bring on that manure and chin waggin' too... hey,, seriously I would love some horse manure... Elaine

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Did someone say donuts. Count me in for a trade, or two or three. I should have been a cop.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

You still could be!! Your looking aint ya??

Susan

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Now that is an idea. Maybe a neighborhood cop close to a DUNKIN DONUT.

Tyrone, GA(Zone 7b)

or krispy kream - yum!

This message was edited Dec 5, 2006 5:34 PM

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Just found this thread, put me down. I should be able to be there as long as it isn't too hot! LOL Will check out the trade site now..I am not sure what I will have to trade, but I will think of something...¢¾

Cordele, GA

Please try to come, Janet. I would love to meet you face to face. I have not forgotten that I offered you bulbs. The sheriff pulled in behind me on Thanksgiving Day, and had me thinking frantically, "What did I do? What did I do?". He delivered a summons to jury duty for that Monday, which pretty much blew my week apart. The bulbs still look good and WILL be sent...real soon now...I am sure...I think....I hope...?

Beth

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

You have sheriffs who deliver jury duty summons?!? I've never heard of that at all. In Cordele, everybody must know everybody.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, they deliver them here in Jonesboro too. Boy we are getting a nice sized list together - 26 already. Only one problem, I probably need to know how many are bringing guests and how many - I want to have a place with enough room to accomodate everyone and their plants.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Sound fine Turtle, I mean Beth...LOL I really do mean it...I haven't been well enough to plant them anyway..so when you get to them if you do, it will be all good!

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Just me,, Elaine

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I will try to get a friend to come with me...so no more than two of us..

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

Only me, another Elaine

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Just me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.