Who wants a Spring Roundup in GA ?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

yea!!!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks!!
PJ, I realized after that my way of paying may be trouble.. I'm not concerned about the money if Jim can't come and you can't transfer that money to the food.. I know you have to make payments and such and don't want to stress you out!!! :)

Susan

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Good news! We are now back on track for our GA Round Up/Swap set for May 19th. It will be held in the shady lot beside the 1st Methodist Church on Main St in downtown Jonesboro. This is a lovely shaded lot where many community get togethers are held. There will be no charge for the use of the lot, but if you want Harold's BBQ, that will still be $9.00 per person. I have access to long tables for our plants and or food. I will be returning the rent $$ to those that paid.
Please send the BBQ money by at least Monday May 14th so I will know how much to order.
lets start about 10:00 so that will give folk's time to get there or there are several motels available within 3-5miles if you want to come on Friday night.

PJ

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Great work PJ!! Did you get my $20 through paypal? Please just keep it for food for me and Jim :)

Susan

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Azalea, just keep my rent money for any incidentals or just go and buy a door prize or something.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

ditto

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks guys, I will get some door prizes.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I'll bring a door prize or two.

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Sounds like this is going to be alot of fun. What is considered a door prize? I will bring also. Azalea what is the address for the church, I get lost easy and could probably get back to NY easier than Jonesboro, but I know its pretty close to me.

ps. thanks for getting this done
Chris

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Azalea, you can just add mine to the food fund....and that way if someone can come at the last minute, they will have plenty to eat...or door prizes are good too...whichever you think will be best...I am happy to buy dinner for a couple of extra people...if it will lhelp out though.
JanetS

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

How sweet Janet! :)

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

PJ, keep my rent money also, or buy some door prizes with it. I'm helpless when it comes to that stuff. Thanks, Becky

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Wow - you guys are special - really appreciated! I will try to find some neat gardening items you would like.

Zebulon, GA(Zone 7b)

Azalea, will this be a plant sale, set up like a craft fair?

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

No, it's not a sale - it's a swap, all freebies! We just bring what ever things we may have extras of and want to share - nobody goes home empty handed. check out the trade list and let that person know if there is something on their list you would like. Some folk's don't come with anything, but there are always extras to share with newbies. You may start a list of your own on that thread. Requests and to offer. It's just a fun way to get aquainted with other gardeners and make new friends. some are pre- arranged trades, the the word "Trade" is loosly used - it doesn't have to be a "one for one".

[HYPERLINK@davesgarden.com]
Trade List http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/663844/

This message was edited Feb 4, 2007 2:44 PM

Zebulon, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, I hope I'll be able to make it.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Twinkling...please do join us, it is going to be so much fun, and you will meet so many wonderful people, and get lots of free "expert" adivce and great plants you don't have..LOL I am so exicted about this!!!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

One great thing about this trade is that you know the plants will grow in Georgia! So much so that there are extras to share. Plus, the people are all very nice. I just love to go to the swaps.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Okay, I've been reading and taking this all in! I want to come too! I checked out the map and Jonesboro is about 65 miles from me! That is if I take Ga.16 from Eatonton then go to Forsyth to McDonough to Jones boro! Whewww , By George I think I've Got it!!! So is there any one on this route that wants to "Hitch a ride", let me know and we'll move the plants over, heck, I'll bring the trailer ( dont tell My Ole DH, Heehee)! Oooh I am excited, My first plant Trade event!
Lynn

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I am trying to post a Map to the church, but I keep getting a map for Jonesboro, Ark! I will have to fix it tomorrow because I have made too many edits today - , the address is 142 S Main St, Jonesboro, GA.
Thanks for your patience.
PJ

I am still going to try and come. Unfortunately, with my schedule I do not always know until a week or two ahead of time if I'm free.

Will not be eating BBQ, but will be bringing vegetarian - vegetarian, wheat-free ...if anyone needs vegetarian, vegan or these with wheat free or gluten free please let me know. I can make to order a lunch for us.

DH might want to go to this because Carmen will be there. He thinks Carmen is the bees knees!

I will bring both plants to trade, and plants to give away.

girlgroupgirl

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Whoo Hooo! The bees knees?!? You've made my day! Come on down, GGG (and dh)! lol It will be a great day!

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Girl, I hope you both can make it - I haven't heard "Bees Knees" for , hhuuuummmmmmmm maybe 40 years! Lol!

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Today I am sending out checks for the pavilion rent since we are getting the church lot for free. I am sending checks rather than PayPal so we won't lose anything more for the fees.
I am sending refunds to Sterhill, mqiq, wholyhosta, vja2001 and Pins. Thank you all for your support and please don't forget to send $9.00 for the BBQ meals if you want them. I can order the food up to just a few days before the swap on May 19th. We will have access to tables, but we will need chairs, if you have some folding chairs, please bring them.

Start potting up and lableing things asap so they will be well established. Bring things that you would be proud to receive.

Thanks, PJ

This message was edited Feb 13, 2007 11:06 AM

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

i really want to get outside and work. . I really do..... it's just so cold!!!!

Susan

I agree Susan (brrrrrr),
I think I am getting desperate though...A few weeks ago I was outside looking to see what the weird warm weather had brought up too early, and small wave petunia came up from seed...everywhere( at least, thats what I thought it was...so I brought in bunches of it and put it in cups all over the windowsill.
Well !!!! I think I am growing weeds!!! the flower heads are very tiny. Not sure what they are, but I feel guilty throwing them back out in the cold. HURRY UP SPRING...I NEED TO GARDEN!!
Chris

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Chris, that is too funny!!! Wave Petunia will do fine in the ground now...it does overwinter for me in the ground...last year it bloomed all Winter!! This year I have Alyssum that has been blooming all Winter....it is too funny...I have Narcissus, Candy Tuft, Forsythia, and Crocus all coming in now along with my Winter Bloomin Alyssum....

Donna in Douglas, GA(Zone 8b)

Wow, this round-up is going to be FUN!!
I hope to Host one in October here in South Ga.
Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Donna

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Hey gapeahen. I just joined davesgarden and saw your posting about the RU and that you are in Douglas. Last spring I ordered 20 bags of worm castings from Bear Creek Farms. I think they are near you. Worm casting would probably be a great thing to bring to the RU. I'm sure folks would love to be able to buy a bag or 2. They are outrageous on ebay, but I paid about $20 a 50 lb. bag.
Just an idea,
Catherine

Donna in Douglas, GA(Zone 8b)

Catherine
I'll check and see about Bear Creek.
Thanks,
donna

Yes, Bear Creek farm is here in Douglas. I can bring some casting to the Round-Up.
I will check with Mr. Brantley on cost in large quanities, if anyone is interest.

http://www.georgiaorganics.org/events/event.php?id=200
Georgia Organics 10th anniversary Conference March 8-10
Here in Douglas!! Check it out!!

This message was edited Feb 17, 2007 9:18 PM

cnause, Wow, 20 bags!! Do you have a huge garden? I would be interested in some, is there a ratio of how much to use?
Chris

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Go to http://www.compostwizard.com/castings.html#ORDER . They have all the info. you need. I don't really have a large garden just a 1/3 acre suburb yard. I used the castings EVERYWHERE. You cannot put to much, they will NEVER burn your plants. Read the UGA studies. VERY interesting. You can even plant directly IN the castings.

Donna, if you talk to Mr. Brantley, please tell him that I, (Catherine Nause in Mableton), mentioned this possible sale. He really went out of his way to work with me on getting the 20 - fiftly lb. bags to me at an affordable price and I'd like him to know that I am trying to get the word out about his wonderful castings!!

If you aren't able to bring any castings, I might be getting the same order this spring from him. $ is tight this year, but I might be able swing it if some of my neighbors buy some bags.

I'm working on getting a babysitter for 5/19. When I know for sure, I'll confirm I'm coming and start a trading list. This is my first time being involved with a Round Up and I'm very excited. I've started a Garden club in my subdivision and can't wait to spread the word!

Can't wait for it to get at least 50 degrees and sunny,
Catherine

This message was edited Feb 17, 2007 9:37 PM

Donna, I would be interested in about 10- 50lb bags. Let us know what he says.
Thanks, chris

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Donna, this might become too big of a deal for you to handle if a lot of people are interested in purchasing castings. (And why wouldn't they, they're called Black Gold for gardeners!!) You would have to drive a truck or an SUV of some type to move 20 or more bags. (They do not smell at all and have the consistency of coffee grounds) We might have to arrange for some sort of shipment with Mr. Brantley, if possible.
I didn't mean to volunteer you for a big job. I just saw you were from Douglas and put the two together. If this is too much for you, let me know and I will try to organize this if my babysitter comes through and I can attend the Round Up.
Looking forward to meeting everyone,
Catherine

I might be able to help out with picking up if this becomes too big. Do you know how far Douglas is from Fayette? I would have to pick it up a few days before the roundup.
chris

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Douglas is close to the southeastern corner of the state. I don't know if you mean Fayette Co. or Fayetteville, but I believe either one would be way too far for the drive. Thanks for the offer.
The only way I could afford them last year was by getting a shipping discount because he was already driving to Atl. to deliver some worms. He's a really nice man and has really nice people working with him as well.
cn

Yes, I am in Fayette County near fayetteville. Wow...didnt realize it was that far. I am still interested if it comes available. I might have to wait for an atlanta delivery and pick it up in atlanta. Maybe he will have an atlanta delivery before the round up...then we could pick it up from there.
cn, have you ever tried using this as a seed starter or mixed in with one?
chris

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Maybe I missed it - but how much would a 50lb bag cost?? Maybe if we could get a big enough order together, he would deliver here for our swap?? If he won't do it on that Sat, it could be delivered to my house, just a couple of miles from our swap site - then people could pick it up - just a thought.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2007 11:32 PM

$20 for 50lb bag

edited to say: sounds like a good thought!

This message was edited Feb 17, 2007 11:31 PM

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

This is my first year trying my hand at seed starting. I really don't know if it would be good, but I seem to remember the UGA test (on the web site) might have started the tomatoes in it. I'm not sure.
If Donna can't bring the castings up for the RU, I might place my same order as last year. You could come up to Mableton and pick up your bags from my house. 2 drops from him cost almost double in shipping. That's a long way for him, so I understand the shipping costs. That's why he was willing to work with me and arrange for a discount on his scheduled worm delivery. I had to be ready when he was delivering his worms though.
Anyway, we'll see how many RU people want castings, and if Donna can deliver, and then go from there.
This is my first day at davesgarden and I can't express enough how excited I am to find out about the RU. Hope I can attend!!
cn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.