Who wants a Spring Roundup in GA ?

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Good news! We are now back on track for our GA Round Up/Swap set for May 19th. It will be held in the shady lot beside the 1st Methodist Church on Main St in downtown Jonesboro. This is a lovely shaded lot where many community get togethers are held. There will be no charge for the use of the lot, but if you want Harold's BBQ, that will still be $9.00 per person. I have access to long tables for our plants and or food. I will be returning the rent $$ to those that paid. Please send the BBQ money by at least Monday May 14th so I will know how much to order.
lets start about 10:00 so that will give folk's time to get there or there are several motels available within 3-5miles if you want to come on Friday night.
Map to the church at 142 S Main St, Jonesboro - http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=internal&addtohistory=&latitude=xkSFgeqJGs3tmZum5k1hng%3d%3d&longitude=Dpumtrf64px23kifAVqo3g%3d%3d&name=Jonesboro%20First%20United%20School&country=US&address=142%20S%20Main%20St&city=Jonesboro&state=GA&zipcode=30236&phone=770%2d478%2d0041&spurl=0&&q=Jonesboro%2c%20GA%201st%20UMC&qc=Preschools
PJ
THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PayPal pjblack@comcast.net or D-Mail me for address for ck or MO. I am now in the address exchange.

FOOD oh yeah....
I checked on getting BBQ from Harold's BBQ - for 40 - 50 people - I need $9.00 per person for all inclusive, BBQ, Cole slaw, Brunswick Stew, Cracklin' Cornbread, chips, pickles and bread for sandwiches - this is a pretty good deal. This includes, plates, napkins, forks, If you don't want BBQ, you can bring your own lunch. Everyone can bring something else - desserts - drinks - maybe something for doorprizes - we'll work that out later! I can wait for the food $$ till about a week beforehand, about May 14th. CHIP IN ANOTHER $9.00 FOR SOME BBQ! I will provide sweet tea. If you prefer something else, perhaps you can bring your choice.

Harold's reviews:
Best BBQ On The Southside (Jonesboro)
"Harold's Barbeque is the classic example of fine southern barbeque. The portions are huge, the staff is quick and friendly, and you usually need a to-go box! One of my favorite sides is the crackling cornbread. Just like my Great Grandma used to make! This restaurant is also fine for kids, or large groups. A must-try! "

Overall user rating: Highly Recommended
"The best Brunswick stew I have ever had. The REAL BBQ. Not some fast food. All is made from scratch. It is worth your lunch break. The one in Jonesboro has the best stew, because the one in Atlanta has someone else make there stew for them. Both are amazing. Two thumbs up."

Looking forward to a great time and the great opportunity to visit our "gardening friends" once again!

I will mark you paid on the list below. My Paypal address is pjblack@comcast.net also, I am now in the address exchange.

See you at the 'roundup'.

PJ

Please sign up here or the Round up forum. Of course folks from other states are invited too- the more the merrier! If I miss anybody, let me know. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/606180/.
Trade Lists - http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/663844/
Remember it's Sat May 19th

Keep this thread on your 'Watch List" for updates.

So far here is the list:

*Azalea + 1 = $18.00 - 2 BBQ
+ 1 - Sterhill - Atl pd $19.00 1 Rent - 1 BBQ - Refunded $10.
2- Fermina - Atl
* 3- Cordeledawg - Cordele pd $19.00 1 rent - 1 BBQ
*4 - mqiq - Danielsville pd $57.00 3 rent - 3 BBQ - Refunded $30.
*5 - vja2001- Cumming pd $38.00 2 rent - 3 BBQ - Refunded $20.
6- Plantnutga - Thomasville
7- Turtle 35206 - Cordele
8 - girlgroupgirl - Atl
* 9 - Pins + 2 - Decatur Pd $57.00 = 3 rent - 3 BBQ - Refunded $30.
10 -Hineni - Woodstock
11 - plantnutz - Brenda - Austell
12 - Woodspirit - Lk Toxaway, NC
13 - Oldtowngirl - Conyers
* 14 - beclu727-Dacula pd $38.00 = 2 rent + 2 BBQ
15 - gapeahen - Douglas pd $18. = 2 BBQ
*16 - farmerpickle - Alpharetta pd $18.= 1 adult 2 kids BBQ
*17 - Garedclay = 1
*18 - wholyhosta - Lula pd $18,00 = 1 rent + 1 BBQ- Refunded $9.
19 - EFGeorgia1 = 1
20 - Soupcon - sheila - Jonesboro 2 coming - no BBQ
21 - Kamikid = 1
* 22 - Soulgardenlove - Marietta Pd - $18.00 = 2 BBQ
23 - gliz - Tyrone, GA
24 - oldgaredneck - Roberta, GA (2)
*25 - JanetS - Braselton, GA = Pd - $38.00 = 2 Rent + 2 BBQ
* 26 - 101 pd $18.00 2 BBQ - Can't make it.
27 - hmstyl - Cleveland, GA Pd $18.00 - 2 BBQ
28 - Raggedyann, Lawrenceville, + 1
29 - LCF 530 - Peachtree City (2) Pd - $18. = 2 BBQ
30 - Maggiedew + 1
*31 - grandiflora - Jonesboro Pd - $10. = 1 BBQ
32 - bulbhound,Dallas, GA +1
*33 - Pat F. - 1 Pd $19. = 1 rent +1 BBQ - Refunded $10.
*34 - TulipLady Pd $9. 1 BBQ
*35 - Jeff Kehl - Pd $27 = 3 BBQ
36 - Thripmaster + dh - Monroe NC PD $18 = 2 BBQ
37 Elaine pd $18 = 2 BBQ
38 3 Gardners No BQ
39 Grace 201 +3 No BBQ

<

This message was edited May 18, 2007 3:56 PM

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Jonesboro would be appreciably more interesting to me - the Dauset Trails place is just too far. I'd come to Jonesboro.
Sterling

Atlanta, GA

Me, too!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Jonesboro is ok with me.
I'd be glad to have the south Ga folks below me come to my house and we could ride together.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I wood certinly come to jonesboro. Mike

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Count me in, jonesboro is fine

Well,one day,I'll learn this puter thing. Mike

This message was edited Oct 19, 2006 5:00 PM

Cumming, GA(Zone 7b)

Sounds exciting, it would be my first!

Virginia

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

I would love it!

I am in the furthest possible SW GA corner....Would still love one.

However, I go every year to a Plant conference in Macon (at the college), it's usually in mid March. I wouldn't want to miss that.

Erin
(plantnutga)

Cordele, GA

That sounds good, although I have to play it by ear due to my Mother's health.

Beth

I should also like to come, but will have to play by ear too.

GGG

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Sounds good!
Brenda

Alpharetta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi I would love to come. Please put me down tenatively as I don't know my school schedule for spring yet. Good to hear from you all!

Donna in Douglas, GA(Zone 8b)

Spring sound good count me in too!
Donna

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Okay, I'm showing my ignorance here, but ahem, what is a Round Up please?

~Sunny

Edited to say "if you read long and hard enough, questions will be answered" - a real live face-to-facer, got that part. What do we bring then?

This message was edited Oct 21, 2006 2:53 PM

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

A real DG Georgia Roundup? Count me, my mom, and Teresa in! Teresa is a member, but never posts. She's really busy. My mom is a member, too. She just got a computer, so this will give her a reason to practice using it.

Jonesboro is a great location. Thanks so much for spearheading this, Azalea. I'm psyched!

Glynis, I know we can get you transportation if you need it.

Carmen

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hineni - a roundup is a gathering of garden people to meet, swap plants and have fun. If you look at the forums list, you'll see Roundups under the community header, and if you look into that forum you'll see RUs listed by state.

People can do pre-trades. They list what they have, you list what you have and people make pre-trades (I'll swap you some Sweet Laura Alstroemeria for some of your Blue Cadet Hosta) - Or you just ask for what they have and offer your list and/or you can just bring what you have and see what other people have. If you are pre-trading, you mark your pots with the recipient's name (and hopefully your name too so they can remember who it came from!).

I went to the one in Dauset Trails last year and many people (myself included) just stacked plants by their cars and trucks, labeled them free and gave away plants to whoever wanted them. It is not like exact trading like you'd do as an online trade.

There was an 'orphan's table' at Dauset Trails at the end so no plant went without a home.

I have some lovely, unusual plants from that RU but Dauset Trails is a looong way from me. Jonesboro would be much better!!

Also you can do starts now - like I have a fantastic variegated lemon-rose geranium - I can take cuttings and offer as trades, which would be well rooted by April. So it is good to know in advance if there is a RU you want to attend.

You get to meet the people from here and put faces to names which is also fun.

Sterling

also a forum called ru pictures - here's the Dauset Trails one http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/599289/

here is me and Susan (Soulgardenlove) http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=2254545

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Hey, Sterling, how about rooting a variegated lemon-rose geranium for me? Nothing like starting early! lol

Carmen

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Carmen - won't it be lovely to have a RU so close to home!

The lemon-rose geranium is actually a "prize winning" geranium as it took an award at the Yellow Daisy Festival recently. It won an Award of Merit in the flower show, which means it was the best in the whole herb section. Lovely plant and I am going to start a flat of them before it freezes out there. Everybody who sees it wants a piece! I planted a cutting last April and it is huge! But I don't think it can live outdoors so its time to start rooting under lights. I'll post a pix of it later. Note: one reserved for Carmen!

I have also started some cuttings of the gorgeous Justica I got from tiG at the GA RU we went to... That is one beautiful plant!! It also took a prize.

Thumbnail by sterhill
Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey Sterhill, would you put my name on one of those geraniums too?? I love the Justica too - I gave tiG hers several years ago. Is it too early to start a trade list for spring??
Thank you for posting that great description of what a R-up is - some folk's may think it just a weed killer! I am open for suggestons for a menu too - do we want it catered for $$$ or go with pot luck, we can list what we want to bring or what is needed so we won't have 15 potato salads & no meat. Or we could have hotdogs & fixins. I will start a food list a little later.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

"I gave tiG hers several years ago." Gotta love gardeners!

Two geraniums spoken for... I like starting a 'suggestion' list for anyone who might be 'making plants' - like hydrangeas, bruggies, geraniums or cuttings of other things that need to be started now as the frost is approaching. I don't know about the logistics of the trade lists though - anyone know how Vi did it?... on that other site?

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Yep- we just started a "Trade Thread" on the Round up forum and people posted what they wanted. You can sort of reserve your 'Space" then edit it as time goes on. When you "edit", be sure to delete the line at the bottom of your post that says you have edited it. This saves space and looks a lot neater. I think you can only do 5=6 edits perday, so write down what you intend to add before you do it. I can do it now if you like, maybe it will stir up some more interest.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I am so glad Sterling posted a pic of the Justica. I got one, too, but haven' t planted it yet. It has bloomed a couple of times this year. Is it hardy? How large will it get? Does it spread? Full sun, or what?

Thanks!

I will have a couple of door prizes to bring.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Carmen: Justicia carnea - sorry I misspelled it before! http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/643/index.html says it will go to 10 degrees... I did a lot of research on this as I understood it would not live in the ground here. But several people around the Atlanta area say they have it in the ground in a protected area. It dies back in the winter, emerges in the spring. Just in case: I am growing cuttings inside this winter. It won't take too much sun. I had to keep moving the pot until I got it right. So that's where I planted it - a bit of morning sun and bright shade the rest of the day.

Azalea: I like that idea of a Trade Thread! Especially for people like me who do cuttings or seeds.

Conyers, GA(Zone 7b)

Jonesboro is a great location. I would like to attend. My first also.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Did someone say roundup. Count me in.

Where's Susan?

Happy Birthday Azalea.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Absolutely - Susan/Soulgardenlove - should be here ready to trade... keep an eye out for her ...

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Jonesboro is great. Count me in too. Becky

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I am thinking about what to make starts on - I see there is a new thread about what we might request and what we might bring...

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/663844/

Lula, GA

Hi, Azalea

Please sign me up for the Georgia Spring RU. I went to the GA fall RU- Dauset Trails is a lovely location-and had just the best time!! Jonesboro is closer,tho --I'll be happy wherever we meet!

Brenda B

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

Sterhill, I would love lemon-rose also. I will be looking forward to the RU in Jonesboro. I will be starting some cuttings soon and maybe they will be ready by that time.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

I would also be interested. Elaine

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

s'pose I could make it :)

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

You better, young 'un! :-)

Carmen

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

:P thwap thwap thwap thwap thwap... waaahahahahaa...

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Sterling, I would love one of the lemon rose geranium rootings,, please,, I am working on a list of plants I will have. Daylilies (named), varigated hydrangea, sedums, tropicals, daturas, beauty berry shrubs, native azaleas, redbud trees, winter creeper ground cover, hearts a bustin', ,,, thanks, Elaine
Oh,, is the justica the same as Brazilian Plume? I have to go look at my tag tomorrow of some I planted back in the summer. It was really pretty.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi EFGeorgia1 - one geranium with your name on it! I'd love a cutting of your variegated hydrangea and ANY native azalea! Check my list at: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/663844/ - and put your list there too.

I think mine is the Brazilian Plume - http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/643/index.html

Sterling

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Sterling, did we both get the Brazilian Pume at the spring swap in Jackson? How tall is yours? Mine is just 8" although it has had 3 gorgeous blooms on it already.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Carmen - I did get it at the RU - Mine was a nice size and I got it from tiG. Here's a pix of its first bloom. I have taken cuttings from it and then planted it in a sheltered location - keeping my fingers crossed. I did find you need to take a decent size cutting for it to root. The tip cuttings I took don't look like they are going to make it, but the bigger ones are already putting out new leaves.

I kept moving the pot around until I found a spot it liked. Too much sun will bleach the leaves and it will wilt but it likes a bit of dappled sun.

Thumbnail by sterhill
Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

These things are pretty easy to root - I usually take about 4" cuttings, but I have even been able to root some with just a large leaf! One of my very favorite plants.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Sterling,, will do.. Elaine

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.